Castle Wall SDC

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Castle Wall SDC

Unread post by Kraynic »

Is there a list anywhere of suggested SDC for castle walls, towers, and buildings somewhere? I thought I had seen something like that, but can't find it now. Unless I was confusing it with what is in the Compendium of Weapons, Armour, and Castles... Of course, that book uses a whole different system based on the number of hits a wall can take from certain categories of siege weaponry.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Castle Wall SDC

Unread post by kiralon »

*Cough* Citytech *Cough*
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kraynic wrote:Is there a list anywhere of suggested SDC for castle walls, towers, and buildings somewhere? I thought I had seen something like that, but can't find it now. Unless I was confusing it with what is in the Compendium of Weapons, Armour, and Castles... Of course, that book uses a whole different system based on the number of hits a wall can take from certain categories of siege weaponry.

Per say, I'm not sure for complex structures themselves (like towers, buildings) are covered in a PF title (I know of a few in Rifts) but.. Palladium Fantasy 2E pg47 lists various SDC values for a lot of things that might be useful. Different types of doors, manacles, containers, furniture, rope, wagons, and of course walls (including castle).
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Page 46 of the main book.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I didn't even think to check 2E Fantasy books (although I only own the first 2). I had thought that book 2 included some info like this when talking about the different types of forts, but there is nothing in either edition about how much punishment the walls can take. I'll have a look at CityTech.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I tend to default to the Wall of Stone SDC from Warlock spells, tbh.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Kraynic wrote:I didn't even think to check 2E Fantasy books (although I only own the first 2). I had thought that book 2 included some info like this when talking about the different types of forts, but there is nothing in either edition about how much punishment the walls can take. I'll have a look at CityTech.

Main Book for Second Edition pg47, left column, toward the bottom of the list... "Wall: Castle/Defense Stone - 600 S.D.C. per sq 10 ft (3m)", it also lists Wood, Stockade, Light Stone and Heavy Stone values.

Sure you have to do some math to figure out the area of the castle walls.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Kraynic wrote:I didn't even think to check 2E Fantasy books (although I only own the first 2). I had thought that book 2 included some info like this when talking about the different types of forts, but there is nothing in either edition about how much punishment the walls can take. I'll have a look at CityTech.

Main Book for Second Edition pg47, left column, toward the bottom of the list... "Wall: Castle/Defense Stone - 600 S.D.C. per sq 10 ft (3m)", it also lists Wood, Stockade, Light Stone and Heavy Stone values.

Sure you have to do some math to figure out the area of the castle walls.

i have a few diagrams lying around in some books of mine- castle walls are 2-5 feet thick in the inner areas or where rooms/hallways cut through them to make windows (so that'd be a five-foot wall, the hallway, and another five-foot wall minimum) and about 12-20 feet thick in the outer/solid areas. possibly thicker close to the base, as castle walls were sloped the first 5-8 feet or so to make them harder to sabotage by sappers and such as well as stablitiy. this isn't exact since much of it depends on the castle's construction itself.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I probably spent way more time on it than I should have. I took the number of impacts from the Compendium of Weapons, Armour, and Castles and figured the average and maximum damage based on siege weapon damage based on the projectile sizes for those impacts. Then I averaged them out, did a fair bit of eyeballing, rounding, and came up with the following based on the wall rating system per section of wall. This is assuming that not all walls will be constructed with similar quality of materials/workmanship.

Rating 1 (2m thick): 350-1000 sdc
Rating 2 (5m thick): 850-2500 sdc
Rating 3 (7m thick): 1200-4000 sdc
Rating 4 (10m thick): 2000-6000 sdc
Rating 5 (13m thick): 3000-9000 sdc

I figure I will use those as the ranges for new construction, reducing from there based on time, past damage, and possible lack of maintenance.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Kraynic wrote:I probably spent way more time on it than I should have. I took the number of impacts from the Compendium of Weapons, Armour, and Castles and figured the average and maximum damage based on siege weapon damage based on the projectile sizes for those impacts. Then I averaged them out, did a fair bit of eyeballing, rounding, and came up with the following based on the wall rating system per section of wall. This is assuming that not all walls will be constructed with similar quality of materials/workmanship.

I figure I will use those as the ranges for new construction, reducing from there based on time, past damage, and possible lack of maintenance.

Are these per foot, per 2 feet, etc...?

Made from what sort of stone?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Kraynic wrote:I probably spent way more time on it than I should have. I took the number of impacts from the Compendium of Weapons, Armour, and Castles and figured the average and maximum damage based on siege weapon damage based on the projectile sizes for those impacts. Then I averaged them out, did a fair bit of eyeballing, rounding, and came up with the following based on the wall rating system per section of wall. This is assuming that not all walls will be constructed with similar quality of materials/workmanship.

Castle walls aren't solid stone block, actually. the first foot or two is fitted stone, then the middle is done with loose stone litter, gravel, and sand, which makes it more resistant to impact from large blows like trebuchts and such.

also means that if you try to blow a hole to run through with magic or advanced explosives, you're S.O.L. because the inner part of the wall collapses on itself...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Orin J. wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Castle walls aren't solid stone block, actually. the first foot or two is fitted stone, then the middle is done with loose stone litter, gravel, and sand, which makes it more resistant to impact from large blows like trebuchts and such.

also means that if you try to blow a hole to run through with magic or advanced explosives, you're S.O.L. because the inner part of the wall collapses on itself...

That does not even close come to answering the questions I posed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Orin J. wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

That does not even close come to answering the questions I posed.

i'm assuming given how it starts he intended it to be 2m' X 2m' X (insert thickness here) and thought everyone would understand the inferral.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The Compendium never actually defines it beyond a "section" of wall (unless I missed something) on pg 150. It is probably safe to go with the 10x10 section, and maybe expanding that based on the type of wall vs the type of siege weaponry/spell being used against it.

Edit: As for the sort of stone, that would be why it is a range instead of a set number. Lower number for more fragile materials, higher number for more durable materials. That is why the Compendium lists the various ratings of walls taking impacts in a range instead of a set number.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”