Globe of Daylight Redux

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Globe of Daylight Redux

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I asked this awhile a go and there were two schools of thought. The first is that this spell creates a globe that emits light like a lamp. The second is that this creates a globe of indirect sunlight, like a room being lit. If it's the second, would the globe make it almost impossible to see things outside of its range? It seems to me it would be like being inside a house at night and looking out the window or the front doot. Because your eyes are adapted to the light inside and that light doesn't exist outside, it's almost entirely black. It seems like a great way to set up an ambush in a dark room.

-Vek
"The other option is to step inside the globe in the first option, and being effectively invisible."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Globe of Daylight Redux

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

This..."... that this spell creates a globe that emits light like a lamp." is the physical aspect of the GoDL.

It is an actual Globe of light that shines. Just like the Name Of The Spell.

the light the GoDL produces full ""DayLight"" but with a weak mystical qualities. Which is why it will how vamps (and this venerable to daylight) at bay, but not damage them. Looking at the GoDL would be like looking at the sun.

Visibility Range....LoS. much like if you had a lantern of the same brightness at the same place. if you are on grassy planes you eyes will only see so far out because the relative density of the light goes down

The range stated is how far away they keep vamps & others at bay.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Number 2 and yes like looking out the windows of a house but not so sudden a drop in light, but just go outside to a dark place and light a light bulb, if you are right next to the lightbulb you cant see very far, but if you are a bit of a distance away you can see further because your eyes haven't adjusted to bright light.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I'm in the "it creates a small sphere like a lamp that illuminates the area" camp. This is based on the phrasing: "A small globe or sphere of true daylight is magically created. The light is bright enough to illuminate a 12 foot (3.6 m) area per each level of its creator's experience." By saying that the light is bright enough to illuminate this area makes me think it is a small globe emitting the light. If it was a uniform 12ft bubble of light it wouldn't need to be "bright enough" to illuminate anything, it would just be light everywhere inside the area. Also, the wording of the spell lantern light better defines itself as a lamp that illuminates the area, and much of the language used to describe this spell is the same as globe of daylight, e.g. they are both described as a "small sphere of light" and lantern light is described as a "less brilliant but longer lasting Globe of Daylight", which leads me to conclude that they work in the same way. If not, can you really describe both the light bulb equivalent of lantern light and a 60ft diameter 5th level globe of daylight both as "small spheres"?

Also, I know art is not definitively considered to be canon, but there are pictures of globes of daylight being used to ward off vampires, and they show it as a small sphere emitting light (e.g. page 1 of Rifts World Book One: Vampire Kingdoms).

As to what effect it might have on vision in and out of the lighted area, I would say the effects would be the same as if the light was produced in a non-magical way. High level globes of daylight are VERY bright, so it should have some effect on vision if looking directly at it and/or trying to look behind it. A bit like if a floodlight was being shined in your eyes but there were also floodlights lighting up everything beyond it as well!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

edited my privies post.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I thought more about this and I think it has to be like a large version of Jonas's flashlight from Dark. If it's the second option there are too many other questions to answer. I just know my PCs aren't going to make it a mini sun and use it to blind people.

-Vek
"If you haven't seen 'Dark' I highly recommend it."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I don't understand why people are always nerfing Magic, but if it is a tech whatever ya sure find no matter that the tech did that same thing the un-nerfed magic does.

It's like you can blind people in the dark with a flashlight or shuttered lantern or a gunsight light.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I wouldn't mind using it that way if there wasn't already the spell "Blinding Flash". It seems like getting around that spell, and since someone created the Blinding Flash spell at some time, it must affect eye sight differently than Blinding Flash. The more I think about either option of the spell, the messir it gets.

-Vek
"Like putting the globe on someone's head, then that person couldn't see anything."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I dont think globe of daylight is too bright, its true sunlight but only as bright as during the day, so a globe on the head wouldn't blind unless the user had been in the dark, and then it would be like shining a torch in his eyes. Not really noticeable during the day as its the same light level but annoying at night.

Blinding flash is an attack, so you must get a save, but its like getting a save vs flashbang, id like see someone to save against those.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

one big thing re GoD is how it would compare to the Lantern Light spell introduced in Rifts Wb16
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If there is a sudden increase in light, that increase in light will momentarily blind someone.

Whether it is caused by a torch, a flashlight/e-torch, shuttered lantern, the lantern light spell or the GoD spell. There is no getting around this physical reaction.

Yes, how GMs deal with this situation is up to the individual GMs. But when dealing with humans this will happen in this situation.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”