Transporting treasure.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Transporting treasure.

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

How does a group of 8 players transport a MASSIVE treasure to and onboard a ship to without anyone being the wiser?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Transporting treasure.

Unread post by Kraynic »

Lots and lots of Teleport Object? If the ship is tied to a pier, there might be enough commotion to be able to come and go invisibly without a lot of suspicion if you can avoid running into people. Otherwise, you might just be tied to teleportation, or invisible/flight, possibly with some reduce object thrown in. Also, ships aren't known for copious amounts of room. Keeping a massive treasure from being discovered might be quite the trick.

I guess it depends on the person running the game, but a potential complication is keeping it distributed on the ship. If it is very heavy, it will change the way the ship sits in the water, causing an attentive captain (and/or upper tier officers) to find out what is going on, because ballast and cargo are carefully laid in and shifted to keep the ship waterline angles set for best sailing. If the person running the game isn't likely to think of that sort of thing, then just getting in onboard is the thing.

I suppose a lot will depend on exactly how large the ship is, and whether it will be relatively cramped (interior) like they normally were. If it is more of a spacious "fantasy" craft, footsteps, weight, and concealment may be less of an issue.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Pit cloaks
by a massively expensive magic item and just transfer that.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Water Elemental and invisibility spells. Water elemental gathers up the treasure, you turn it invisible, and it puts the treasure on the ship.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, a lot depends on what the treasure is. We know it’s massive but can it be broken into smaller bits? If it’s gold, there is always the changing it into gems. If the ship is in the port for awhile, you could bring parts if it aboard a little at a time. You could also purchase something heavy and replace it with the treasure. Just dump the dross and roll on crates of your treasure. Hell you can even bribe the captain to wait, although that could raise suspicion.

If you’re in a large city you could get a promissory note from a bank and just port that with you. You could take an assessor to the site, have them count it, or estimate the value, and then write you a receipt. Then the bank can go and collect.

If you need to have that specific treasure, then is depends on what it is. A stature can be painted to look less expensive. Animate object works if it’s close to the ship. Teleportation circles are good for that.

Regarding the boat, I’m unclear as to whether the captain of the boat is unaware this treasure will appear on the ship or if he/she is in league with the group.

-Vek
“Become a dragon and sleep atop your hoard.”
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Globe of Silence spell to remove the noise of the treasure being moved around.

Featherlight and/or Strength of the Behemoth spells to help move heavier objects.

Mystic Portal spell to teleport larger amounts of stuff away as opposed to the aforementioned Teleport Object spell.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

The Beast wrote:Mystic Portal spell to teleport larger amounts of stuff away as opposed to the aforementioned Teleport Object spell.

Yeah, I was being paranoid that the ship would be considered a moving target with the portal being fixed. Meaning that parts of your portal might be visible on the deck above (or below) your target location as the ship rises, falls, and rolls with movement of the water.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kraynic wrote:
The Beast wrote:Mystic Portal spell to teleport larger amounts of stuff away as opposed to the aforementioned Teleport Object spell.

Yeah, I was being paranoid that the ship would be considered a moving target with the portal being fixed. Meaning that parts of your portal might be visible on the deck above (or below) your target location as the ship rises, falls, and rolls with movement of the water.

I don't have my books readily available, so I'm just going off of my memory of the spell names.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Play the part of Traders that are moving an order of farming equipment.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Non-Magic Means:

1. If possible, move the ship upriver to a point nearby the treasure. Or take boats from the ship to do so.
2. Put the treasure on wagons or barges and smother it with some foul-smelling stuff like manure.
3. If the treasure is in the same city as the ships, use the sewer system.
4. Shell game: Put the treasure into one of several essentially identical vessels, making it less likely that an enemy will pounce on the treasure.
5. Diversion: create or take advantage of major distractions to sneak the treasure out.
6. Hide it now and come back and make withdrawals later.
7. Make the treasure look like it's just part of normal commerce and traffic in the area.

Magic methods:
1. Pop it over into some kind of pocket dimension.
2. Safe teleportation magic like a Circle (though that would make the ship unnecessary), Circle of Travel spell (not a PF spell, but you could import it. Could also make the ship unnecessary), or ley line teleportation.
4. Other teleportation magic (riskier)
5. Make the treasure invisible
6. Use clouds, smoke, or weather control to screen your movements
7. Shrink the treasure
8. Fly it out (flying ship in Wolfen Empire, possibly an Air Galleon of Baalgor, or a large flying carpet)
9. Summon minions with supernatural strength to carry it out.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Hum, Shannon is testing out a mage class of sorts...card mage from one of the rifters. Though, I am not exactly sure if there is a card for teleporting things.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”