Carpet of Adhesion and water

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Carpet of Adhesion and water

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I have a guy wih that spell and it made me wonder. What happens if you cast the spell in the rain? Does the rain water stick to the carpet? Does it then create a slippery surface of standing water? Do fluids just run off?

-Vek
"I think the initial water sticks."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Carpet of Adhesion and water

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd give a substantial bonus to save if someone asked for it; I'd likely forget, otherwise (like I frequently forget weather).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

following the intended meaning of the words, I would say no. It is the 1st solid object to touch that bit of CoA.

I will give it a "however", if it is a water El or an APS water char, as a GM would give the CoA a 65%-35% change of sticking-not sticking.

As to saving throw....*shrugs*..it really comes down to it 'Did you step into it or not?'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

it sticks to solid objects and it doesn't lose effectiveness until the duration runs out and it vanishes entirely, so i've always assumed that it doesn't cling to particles and liquids. really this is more of an issue of how you think water works than the magic. pour water over superglue and touch it, the glue sticks to you just fine if you apply any pressure to displace the liquid cover.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I'd play it that if enough liquid landed on it, it would cover it in a very thin coating and not stick anything else while simultaneously making the caster notice a him shaped meteor coming right at him.

at mach 55
made of runeswords, which summon him hating tyrannosaurus rex's that roam the planet killing every character he ever plays.

I don't like the carpet of adhesion spell. Not enough definition in potentially very powerful spell causes arguments.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:I'd play it that if enough liquid landed on it, it would cover it in a very thin coating and not stick anything else while simultaneously making the caster notice a him shaped meteor coming right at him.

.....snip....

I don't like the carpet of adhesion spell. Not enough definition in potentially very powerful spell causes arguments.

the magic is non-corporal, without any substance to coat.
....s....
Yes, the CoA is a bit of a bad PC feeling magnet.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kiralon wrote:I'd play it that if enough liquid landed on it, it would cover it in a very thin coating and not stick anything else while simultaneously making the caster notice a him shaped meteor coming right at him.

.....snip....

the magic is non-corporal, without any substance to coat.
....s....
Yes, the CoA is a bit of a bad PC feeling magnet.

The description says it creates a sticky carpet (carpet is visible and corporeal) and the caster of the carpet can alter the shape of this super flypaper (makes me think its thin) but its always a flat sheet or carpet. I don't remember anywhere it saying its non-corporeal and has no substance.
I play it if the creature is strong enough to lift up what its stuck to, they will, and if they step in it they can jump out of their shoes as long as you don't touch it.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The books are written for newbs. So it written so newbs can get the concepts.

The books only says it sticks to people.

So fine...take the books literally.
So if you take what the book says literally, the CoA spell is useless verses people wearing shoes.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

kiralon wrote:I play it if the creature is strong enough to lift up what its stuck to, they will, and if they step in it they can jump out of their shoes as long as you don't touch it.

I never thought about someone trapped on it being able to lift what the CoA is placed on, but I haven't had it used much in my games (maybe because I haven't used it against my players enough). I would go with leaving clothing behind to escape it also. Once I saw a certain Jackie Chan movie, CoA reminds me of a scene...

https://youtu.be/GcupMTe-_08?t=39
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Kraynic wrote:
kiralon wrote:I play it if the creature is strong enough to lift up what its stuck to, they will, and if they step in it they can jump out of their shoes as long as you don't touch it.

I never thought about someone trapped on it being able to lift what the CoA is placed on, but I haven't had it used much in my games (maybe because I haven't used it against my players enough). I would go with leaving clothing behind to escape it also. Once I saw a certain Jackie Chan movie, CoA reminds me of a scene...

https://youtu.be/GcupMTe-_08?t=39

Ha Ha! That was awesome.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

for some reason I am now picturing COA cast on the bottom of a pool and someone who briefly touches bottom being stuck there and drowning

also if you fell into a pit that filled with water, normally water could be used to escape (float your way out) but with COA it would be a death sentence

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”