Danzi and Spirit Tattoos

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Danzi and Spirit Tattoos

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I was reading over the Danzi RCC (from book 11: the Eastern Territories) and the information on their Spirit Tattoos and I noticed that two of the tattoos (Shroud of Woodland Spirits and Wisdom of the Ancestors) are clearly based upon their natural magic abilities. The magic also functions oddly, not using PPE, but doing damage instead.

My thought is this: Perhaps what the tattoos actually doing is letting the Danzi draw upon their Native racial magic that is blocked by the curse of Netosa. The tattoos do not cost PPE because they are Faerie Magic innate to the species. The reason it does damage is because of the curse, as the tattoo is circumventing the block upon the magic of the species and it causes magical backlash.

What does anyone think of this possibility?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Danzi and Spirit Tattoos

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Sounds like a plausible hypothesis.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
AlanGunhouse
Champion

If the Hypothesis is correct, then the Spirit Tattoos will not function for any other species...with the possible exception of the Goblin. It might be possible for Tattoos allowing a Goblin to draw upon the ancient Cobbler magic to exist.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

AlanGunhouse wrote:If the Hypothesis is correct, then the Spirit Tattoos will not function for any other species...with the possible exception of the Goblin. It might be possible for Tattoos allowing a Goblin to draw upon the ancient Cobbler magic to exist.

Or other faerie kin. What about gnomes? Or hobgoblins? Kobolds? How many are claimed as faerie kin but don't have any magic in the current era?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Even Elves and Orcs may possibly fit. There is a mention: Eastern Territory Pg 99-100 identifies a shop called Mystique Tattoos with a Danzi Shaman (someone pointed it out to me). That implies that they can give tattoos to at least SOME others.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the book already say that they CAN give them to non-Danzi. It is just in (about) the next sentance that they say that they don't just give them out. The char has to EARN them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

AlanGunhouse wrote:If the Hypothesis is correct, then the Spirit Tattoos will not function for any other species...with the possible exception of the Goblin. It might be possible for Tattoos allowing a Goblin to draw upon the ancient Cobbler magic to exist.

See page 34 under the note in the 2nd paragraph. It lists which of the races can get spirit tattoos.
The however is that the D-Shaman are evasive about giving direct answers to outsiders.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

See page 34 under the note in the 2nd paragraph. It lists which of the races can get spirit tattoos.
The however is that the D-Shaman are evasive about giving direct answers to outsiders.

So the same races that can get Tattoo magic in Rifts...does that imply that Danzi could get Rifts magic tattoos also? It would have been more interesting if they were available to a different set of races...
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

AlanGunhouse wrote:..does that imply that Danzi could get Rifts magic tattoos also?

No it does not.

Even so, A GM could use that reasoning. But Not a Player.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Exact quotes for reference (Easter Territory, p34, second column, third paragraph starting with "Eligibility:"):
"there are myths and legends telling of human, Ogre and even Elf heroes empowered by "magical marks carved into their flesh" - presumably Danzi Spirit Tattoos."
AND
"Note: Technically, humans and other races can be given and use Danzi Spirit Tattoos, but only the Danzi Shamans can create them, and only a great friendship, service, or kindness would warrant such a rare and remarkable gift. The recipient would have to be honorable and the risk of death to humans is greater than to Danzi"

So, no limitations to who can receive it? Excepting DM permission and Danzi sensibilties. For myself, I'd let them be for any general race, unlike Tattoo Magic. Spirit Tattoos are more limited in number and harmful to the user, so they'd be less specialized.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

thorr-kan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Exact quotes for reference (Easter Territory, p34, second column, third paragraph starting with "Eligibility:"):
"there are myths and legends telling of human, Ogre and even Elf heroes empowered by "magical marks carved into their flesh" - presumably Danzi Spirit Tattoos."
AND
"Note: Technically, humans and other races can be given and use Danzi Spirit Tattoos, but only the Danzi Shamans can create them, and only a great friendship, service, or kindness would warrant such a rare and remarkable gift. The recipient would have to be honorable and the risk of death to humans is greater than to Danzi"

So, no limitations to who can receive it? Excepting DM permission and Danzi sensibilties. For myself, I'd let them be for any general race, unlike Tattoo Magic. Spirit Tattoos are more limited in number and harmful to the user, so they'd be less specialized.

It looks to me like any race can potentially receive Danzi spirit tattoos (or at least that there are no written restrictions on races).
The comment about myths and legends that are "presumably Danzi spirit tattoos" could be a little Easter egg reference by the author to Altantean magic tattoos, which Palladium scholars naturally presume are Danzi tattoos because those are the only ones they have heard of.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Well, unless the authors care to clarify...it will have to be up to the individual GM.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

thorr-kan wrote:So, no limitations to who can receive it? Excepting DM permission and Danzi sensibilties.

This is correct

Remember the Spirt Tattoo Magic was give to the Danzi "In Trust". That means they are obligated to not just give them out willy nilly or to whoever has the gold.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Soldier of Od wrote:It looks to me like any race can potentially receive Danzi spirit tattoos (or at least that there are no written restrictions on races).
The comment about myths and legends that are "presumably Danzi spirit tattoos" could be a little Easter egg reference by the author to Altantean magic tattoos, which Palladium scholars naturally presume are Danzi tattoos because those are the only ones they have heard of.

Nah, that's obviously an Easter egg referring to the the Tattoos of Strength on p43 of Rifts: Japan. (No it's not.)

That's certainly a possibility. And it ties the two lores together nicely.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”