Exotic mounts...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Exotic mounts...

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

My current campaign now focuses on a trek across the Old Kingdom, and I'm suddenly faced with the question of what the locals (ie non-humans) ride around on. Orc barbarians on _horses_ just doesn't seem right. So, what do we have for cannon exotic mounts... or do I have to invent a few beasties to fit the bill?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Exotic mounts...

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like orcs on horseback, myself.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I would think horses would make the most sense, but you could throw some on zebras or maybe wildebeest. And you could have that weird group that rides giraffes...
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Braden Campbell wrote:My current campaign now focuses on a trek across the Old Kingdom, and I'm suddenly faced with the question of what the locals (ie non-humans) ride around on. Orc barbarians on _horses_ just doesn't seem right. So, what do we have for cannon exotic mounts... or do I have to invent a few beasties to fit the bill?

Greetings and Salutations. If humans are considered the dominate species of the world, and humans use horses, horses would likely still be common, if for no other reason than having looted them off of humans. Setting that aside though ...

PFRPG, page 53, Horsemanship: Exotic includes elephants, camels, lamas, pegasus, gryphons, dragondactyls, melech, giant insects, and other monstrous beasts trained (or willing).

Per Monsters & Animals, page 203, Elephants would only be common in the southern most section of the Old Kingdoms.

Camels and lamas I don't recall being officially stated out in any of the PF books, but I could've missed them. Note: This post has my notes to help stat out Camels, if interested: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=166018

Pegasus are only known to exist in the north, but there's mention of the Elves taming them during the Elf-Dwarf War ... so it's possible some still linger in the Old Kingdom Mountains (not really official, but plausible within canon).

Gryphons are common in mountains, and the Old Kingdom does have some. So this is an option in those parts. Personal Note: In my games, Dwarves had started to tame Gryphons as a counter to the Elven Pegasi during the Elf-Dwarf War., but that's not official as far as I can recall.

Dragondactyl are in the Old Kingdom Mountains, especially to the south.

Melech aren't very common there, but when found will typically be in the south towards Mount Nimro and Land of the South Winds.

In addition to those ...

Monsters & Animals, page 136, the Silonar are used by the Eandroth as riding animals. As far as I'm aware, only the Eandroth use them, and the Eandroth are primarily located in the Baalgor Wastelands, but do spread out to the nearby regions of the Old Kingdoms.

Baalgor Wastelands, page 57, Rock Buzzers are domesticated riding beasts exclusive to the Wastelands. However, they can survive most warm climates (but natural instinct seems to keep them only in the one region). This would probably fall into the giant insect category.

Adventures in the Northern Wilderness, page 71, there are the Arbolytes. I don't believe there are any 2nd Edition stats for these creatures, but they're mentioned to be related to Silonars. On page 73 (with stats on page 74), Orcs on Arbolytes is a thing. However, keep in mind this is for the Northern Wilderness.

Those are the ones I know of (without going through each monster description one by one) that are official (per the request of the OP). If you're willing to expand into unofficial material, I could add a few more to that list. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.[/justify]
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

There are orc knights on horses in the tombs of gersidi adventure in first ed.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Perhaps there's just a breed of Old Kingdom thouroubreds that are slightly larger and more aggressive than others...?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Braden Campbell wrote:Perhaps there's just a breed of Old Kingdom thouroubreds that are slightly larger and more aggressive than others...?

I'd lean more towards big draft horses for look, but yeah.

"Squire bring my armor
My sword, and my destrier..."
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have seen someone use a black rhino as a mount.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

There were also some mounts posted in the Monstrous Creations thread at the top of this forum.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”