Mecha Random Hit Locations

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Peacebringer
Adventurer

Mecha Random Hit Locations

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Since there are only a handful of mecha for Robotech, has anyone created random to-hit tables for each mecha? Simply hitting the Main-Body unless a called shot is OK, but random locations would be better!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Mecha Random Hit Locations

Unread post by jaymz »

I use my own "generic" hit tables.

Robot vehicles

Right Arm 1-3

Right Leg 4-6

Main Body 7-14

Left Leg 15-17

Left Arm 18-20

Any other Location is a called shot. This includes Wings on flying units that have them.

Power Armour

Right Arm 1-3

Right Leg 4-6

Main Body 7-14

Left Leg 15-17

Left Arm 18-20

Any other Location is a called shot. This includes Wings on flying units that have them.

Vehicles

Tracks/Wheels 1-5

Main Body 6-15

Primary Weapon/Turret 16-20

Any other Location is a called shot.

Traditional Aircraft

Tail/Engines 1-4

Right Wing 5-8

Main body 9-14

Left Wing 15-18

Nose/Cockpit 19-20

Non-Traditional Aircraft (Sky Cycles, Sky King, Rocket bikes)

Stabilizers (Tailfins, Winglets, etc) 1-3

Main Body 4-15

Engines 16-20

I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

There are charts in the old RDF Manual.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Jaymz: simple, but then again, I like more detail. I like the small-locations to be random as well.

STS: I'll have to check the manual; I don't have it with me here.

Thanks Yawl!
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

The small locations should be called shots. It's not logical for them to be random since in most cases they're relatively protected by main locations.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Peacebringer
Adventurer

jaymz wrote:The small locations should be called shots. It's not logical for them to be random since in most cases they're relatively protected by main locations.

I'm still looking for my Robotech Manuel. I like the idea of random hit-locations vs. called shots for smaller-locations. It's just many games have turned into this over-used quote, "Called-shot, cockpit".
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

That is why there are penalties to do such things. Needing a 15 (at least by the older rules) to hit a cockpit when you only have a bonus of 2-4 (seeing as PP is not applicable to ranged combat) is not that easy to make. Less than a 50% chance to do so in fact and many "heads" have the same MDC as legs.....I take out legs. Can't move? Can't fight for long either since I can then just move out of LOS and you can't follow.

Not to mention Palladium Combat takes long enough as it is, adding in detailed random hit locations will just draw it out longer.

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are random hit tables for the Macross Era Mecha in the RDF Manual (RT 1st ed book 2)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think Jaymz's approach is the best one. there is enough variations in locations between mecha that you can;t get too detailed. some mecha lack arms, other have upper and lower arm entries, some mecha have a bunch of guns sticking out, some don't. some have wings, some don't. your best bet is to use a general chart for a humanoid, and then improvise. have upper and lower arms? if you get an arm hit, do a 50/50 roll or an odd/even to determine upper or lower. you can do much the same with things like large gun barrels, wings, etc.

and i agree, smaller features should not be on the charts, especially ones that have penalties to called shots. if it suits the GM's story needs you can just fudge the roll.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”