Timeline (Issues with Technology)

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Timeline (Issues with Technology)

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

Another part of my campaign that I plan on including involves creating a BtS/Nightbane setting that takes place before Dark Day. I would incorporate a different timeline and technology base. The year would be 2041; the feel of the game would basically be like the 1930/40s of our Earth where a World War is still continuing with the Nazis as one of the driving forces.

I place the year at 2041 just so the players will understand that this is a different timeline than our Earth and not everything will be historically accurate. Also, Dark Day will be about two years to six months away. I have yet to determine how long before Dark Day this will take place, but somewhere in the previously mentioned range.

The players would have characters who belong to "The Seekers." Each player would have certain lore skills and archaeological skills that would aid them in their research and adventures. I guess this campaign would have an Indiana Jones feel to it, although a lot darker (as is expected of a Nightbane campaign).

One of my main reasons for placing my Nightbane campaign during this period is because of the issues I have with technology; my players seem to rely too heavily on such things as the internet and advanced weapons to either save themselves, to save time, or (even worse) to take a detour, which turns out to be a short cut to the end of the adventure. I would much rather have my player's characters running around searching through old musty records (perhaps getting in a bit of trouble looking for the information) than simply hacking into data bases and getting the information in a relatively short period of time.

I feel that with adventures set in less technologically advanced timelines there seems to be a lot more opportunities for adventure and more obstacles for the players to overcome.

Do you guys sometimes feel this way about technology as well?

This question at least pertains the GMs in this forum.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Re: Timeline (Issues with Technology)

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

mindwyr wrote:I place the year at 2041 just so the players will understand that this is a different timeline than our Earth and not everything will be historically accurate. Also, Dark Day will be about two years to six months away. I have yet to determine how long before Dark Day this will take place, but somewhere in the previously mentioned range.

I don't see the need for placing this campaign in the future. I think you could easily set it in the 1930's and then diverge from reality without having to explain anything to your players. Their characters will catch on.

If you set the campaign a hundred years after the start of the war, you are going to have a harder time explaining the lack of technological advancement. Many important discoveries have been a direct result of warfare. Even if the Nazis killed off all of their scientists (which I doubt they would), how could you account for the rest of the world stagnating for a hundred years?

I think it would be better to set the campaign in the past (you could even use the player's grandparents as NPCs). Do a little research, pick a date to diverge from real history and have fun with it.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Ted Smythe wrote:I don't see the need for placing this campaign in the future. I think you could easily set it in the 1930's and then diverge from reality without having to explain anything to your players. Their characters will catch on.

Except it would be that much easier for them to comprehend that things are going to be different being as it is set in 2041. ;) And it would give the game a different taste or feel.

Ted Smythe wrote:If you set the campaign a hundred years after the start of the war, you are going to have a harder time explaining the lack of technological advancement. Many important discoveries have been a direct result of warfare. Even if the Nazis killed off all of their scientists (which I doubt they would), how could you account for the rest of the world stagnating for a hundred years?

I think you might be looking into this a bit too much. The year is 2041 and the technology is exactly the same as it would be in our 1941. The 100 years could have been "lost" a 1000, 2000, 3000 years ago or even better, slowly throughout the ages (a year here a day there etc.); therefore, society wouldn't have stagnated for the 100 years from 1941 to 2041 it would have just taken a relatively short time longer (100 years) for it to develop to the technological level that I want it to be at. :)
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

mindwyr wrote:One of my main reasons for placing my Nightbane campaign during this period is because of the issues I have with technology; my players seem to rely too heavily on such things as the internet and advanced weapons to either save themselves, to save time, or (even worse) to take a detour, which turns out to be a short cut to the end of the adventure. I would much rather have my player's characters running around searching through old musty records (perhaps getting in a bit of trouble looking for the information) than simply hacking into data bases and getting the information in a relatively short period of time.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are aiming at. I was merely suggesting that a campaign set in the past would have less technology simply because it hadn't been invented yet. In the 1940s, there were no computers (ergo, no Internet), so 'old musty records' were the primary source of information. I thought this would be easier than saying, 'It's thirty-seven years in the future, but there are no computers anymore'. I think that would be a lot harder to comprehend than a divergent timeline.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Ted Smythe wrote:Maybe I misunderstand what you are aiming at. I was merely suggesting that a campaign set in the past would have less technology simply because it hadn't been invented yet. In the 1940s, there were no computers (ergo, no Internet), so 'old musty records' were the primary source of information. I thought this would be easier than saying, 'It's thirty-seven years in the future, but there are no computers anymore'. I think that would be a lot harder to comprehend than a divergent timeline.

I had some time to mull it over. And your advice raised some good points. Perhaps, as you said, it would be better just to place it during the actual year that things happen. This might give it a more nostalgic or historical feel, which might give the players a greater enjoyment and sense of familiarity. The 2041 setting might be a bit too alien or unfamiliar, which might put less of an importance on the events that the PCs are involved in; this could make the players more flamboyant and less careful with how they perceive the future.

Anyway, in short, I think I'll go with your advice and just keep it around the 1940s. :)

This just means I'll have the Dark Day a bit early rather than in 1997.

Thanks for your input Mr. Smythe. ;)

Return to “Nightbane®”