Board index » SDC Worlds » Beyond the Supernatural™

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:04 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 261
I love the game, though I only have the first book for second edition.
Is Palladium going to release something any time soon?

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:37 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:02 pm
Posts: 698
Fenris2020 wrote:
I love the game, though I only have the first book for second edition.


Thats a fantastic place to start. I also suggest picking up Nightbane and Dead Reign as the three books compliment each other extremely well if you put a little thought and effort into it.

Fenris2020 wrote:
Is Palladium going to release something any time soon?


Nope, probably not. I think its been over ten years since they dropped the second edition core book and we've all been waiting and biding our time for . . . something . . . and other than a couple of books being announced and vaguely referenced during that time, there isn't anything known to be slated for release.

_________________
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 303
Location: The Devil's Gate, Missouri
There is a smattering of material in the Rifter. You can grab a few.

_________________
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm
Posts: 1601
Location: Currently residing in the state of Denial
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe
Greetings...

Please allow me, the Host of the House of BTS, to lead you to the Library.

Within these walls, you can find all the books that I use for my BTS games and therefore recommend to you.

May my library serve you well.

_________________
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 261
Thanks for the replies, alle.
Thing is... I don't much care for zombie apocalypse stuff any more; I have Dead Reign, and friends bought me the sourcebooks for birthdays and the like, but on top of not caring about zombies, I don't like how the game handles zombies.
As for Nightbane (my copy is called Nightspawn), I like it somewhat, but it's more... OVERTLY supernatural than I prefer. I like BtS because, in general, it starts out low key (like the BEST games of Call of Cthulhu) before you start running into the more vulgar forms of supernatural. More creepy than cartoonish, I suppose.
I can't find any 1st edition BtS stuff; in fact, finding anything from Palladium is difficult in most game stores, which is sad. It's just a fairly undeserved rep, as far as I'm concerned, from certain past lawsuits and the general flaming which occurs on these boards.
I was really hoping, when I joined the boards, that someone might be working on something... revamping 1st ed stuff maybe, or completely new material. BtS would probably be my favorite game, with some new source-books and so on. Most of my Rifters don't have any BtS stuff... I think maybe 4 or 5 do. Anyone know the numbers of the Rifters that address 2nd ed BtS? I can do the Grab-Bag thing...

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:44 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 303
Location: The Devil's Gate, Missouri
There is already a post with all the BTS material in the Rifter

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=97465

It isn't up to date, though. Rifters 83 and 84 also have material for BTS.

_________________
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:47 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 303
Location: The Devil's Gate, Missouri
Also Drive Thru RPG has 1st edition Main Book and Boxed Nightmares

_________________
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:11 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:02 pm
Posts: 698
Fenris2020 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, alle.
Thing is... I don't much care for zombie apocalypse stuff any more; I have Dead Reign, and friends bought me the sourcebooks for birthdays and the like, but on top of not caring about zombies, I don't like how the game handles zombies.
As for Nightbane (my copy is called Nightspawn), I like it somewhat, but it's more... OVERTLY supernatural than I prefer. I like BtS because, in general, it starts out low key (like the BEST games of Call of Cthulhu) before you start running into the more vulgar forms of supernatural. More creepy than cartoonish, I suppose.
I can't find any 1st edition BtS stuff; in fact, finding anything from Palladium is difficult in most game stores, which is sad. It's just a fairly undeserved rep, as far as I'm concerned, from certain past lawsuits and the general flaming which occurs on these boards.
I was really hoping, when I joined the boards, that someone might be working on something... revamping 1st ed stuff maybe, or completely new material. BtS would probably be my favorite game, with some new source-books and so on. Most of my Rifters don't have any BtS stuff... I think maybe 4 or 5 do. Anyone know the numbers of the Rifters that address 2nd ed BtS? I can do the Grab-Bag thing...


That is more than fair on most points.

I'm not aware of any major resources beyond those listed above that would be useful for you unfortunately.

As far as Dead Reign, I think that its best use is when you don't look at their settings as a whole, but when you take out the tidbits. I've used the classes and character creation from Dead Reign (such as military characters) to great effect as a replacement for the Normal Person character class from BtS 1e. The weapons and equipment lists are also useful, as well as the random scavenging tables as a great way for random loot when searching enemy corpses. Additionally some of the more oddball zombies also make for interesting enemies for one-shot games.

Nightbane/spawn is basically the same thing. You get a decent arcanist class that you can port over nearly seamlessly, and there are some great organizations to be found in the books, such as the Spook Squad, that can be easily adapted to a BtS campaign. Also, I don't like players being nightbane in my games when it comes to a normal BtS game BUT they do make for fantastic enemies and I've been cooking up an underground Nightbane faction that the investigators can run into. Makes for an interesting semi-neutral supernatural enemy/ally to balance out all of the straight up enemies like gremlins and boogeymen.

Just my two cents.

_________________
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm
Posts: 1601
Location: Currently residing in the state of Denial
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe
As it seems to come easy to me, I always feel like an A-hole when I say this, but its a valid statement:

It they are not making the materials for you, then make the materials for yourself.

Every BTS article in the Rifter that I wrote (and all the source book materials I'm currently working on), they all came from necessity. I had adventures in mind that I wanted to run, I needed certain things to make the adventures happen, so I wrote them.

BTS offers very fertile fields on which to plant your adventure ideas and grow them to fruition.

Dare to be the resource you need, my friend.

_________________
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:44 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:54 pm
Posts: 303
Location: The Devil's Gate, Missouri
mrloucifer wrote:
As it seems to come easy to me, I always feel like an A-hole when I say this, but its a valid statement:

It they are not making the materials for you, then make the materials for yourself.


Well said!

_________________
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 59
Location: Denton, TX
Comment: Meh
Fenris2020 wrote:
I don't like how the game handles zombies.


I was also in this camp, so I just modified it to my liking in my game to fit what's best to make the experience more realistic and fun.

_________________
-TheEvilDM
http://RollHighorDie.com - Old School Actual Plays
RailGuns & Dragons - Palladium RPGS! My Youtube Series Exploring Palladium products
Palladium MegaVerse Podcast - DeadWinter- a Dead Reign Day 1 Actual Play Podcast


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 261
TheEvilDM wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
I don't like how the game handles zombies.


I was also in this camp, so I just modified it to my liking in my game to fit what's best to make the experience more realistic and fun.



Yes, I've done that as well... It just would have been a better game if the creators had made the zekes more like they are in World War Z, Dawn of the Dead and Walking Dead, rather than these... things that see your living energy and are harder to kill than the people they once were.
The zombies in those movies and shows are still threatening and dangerous, you still have to THINK, without being over-whelming.

As for this game, yes I already do conversions from Palladium's other games (notably Rifts), but would prefer to keep my BtS games separate from the others.

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:56 pm
  

D-Bee

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:52 pm
Posts: 3
Yes, for some value of NEW.

Tome Grostesque is scheduled for "Late November [2005], might slip into December [2005]"
Beyond Arcanum is listed for "December [2005] or January [2006]"

They're also listed on the Nov 14, 2019 Update as "in production" but not "in the next 6 months"


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:34 pm
  

Knight

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:01 am
Posts: 4333
Location: Québec
I hope stop Dead regin for some time and they work more on BtS,I will love it if Arcanum is next,How the set up of magic in it,like Magic weapon and items,Spells that are different from Palladium fantasy.

What BtS book you want them to make?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:32 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
gaby wrote:
I hope stop Dead regin for some time and they work more on BtS,I will love it if Arcanum is next,How the set up of magic in it,like Magic weapon and items,Spells that are different from Palladium fantasy.

What BtS book you want them to make?

We need Arcanum just to make the game playable. The description of the book "The Arcanist O.C.C. and other practitioners of magic, Magic spells designed for the BTS setting, Magic rituals, weapons, charms and artifacts" would all add a lot to the game but the last part "Ancient secrets and places of magic" would really help.

This is right up there with Hardware Unlimited for books that I really want to see a Raw Preview of. If this book is at all put together I think an RPE would sell out quick.

_________________
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:20 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1792
Location: West Central region of Indiana
THE HANDY DANDY RANDOM ADVENTURE GENERATOR
My absolute favorite BTS resource (that I've never used for a BTS game)

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 pm
Posts: 261
Warshield73 wrote:
gaby wrote:
I hope stop Dead regin for some time and they work more on BtS,I will love it if Arcanum is next,How the set up of magic in it,like Magic weapon and items,Spells that are different from Palladium fantasy.

What BtS book you want them to make?

We need Arcanum just to make the game playable. The description of the book "The Arcanist O.C.C. and other practitioners of magic, Magic spells designed for the BTS setting, Magic rituals, weapons, charms and artifacts" would all add a lot to the game but the last part "Ancient secrets and places of magic" would really help.

This is right up there with Hardware Unlimited for books that I really want to see a Raw Preview of. If this book is at all put together I think an RPE would sell out quick.



See, at my local game-store BtS sold out pretty quick (so many copies went out I had to order one), but then we waited for a long time and no Arcanum showed up... nor anything detailing monsters, and so on...
That's the sort of thing that gives this company a bad rep.

_________________
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:40 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm
Posts: 1601
Location: Currently residing in the state of Denial
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe
For those looking for new BTS material... its coming soon!

May I present: Creature Feature!

Artwork is rolling in as well speak (visit the House of BTS for sneak peeks at the art), Kevin's handling the final edit, and its all coming together nicely, and coming soon!

_________________
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:09 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 2440
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
mrloucifer wrote:
For those looking for new BTS material... its coming soon!

May I present: Creature Feature!

Artwork is rolling in as well speak (visit the House of BTS for sneak peeks at the art), Kevin's handling the final edit, and its all coming together nicely, and coming soon!

Congratulations on this, I can't wait to get it. Also I just have to say with the cover I love the guy unloading on the creature. That is how you go it.

_________________
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group