When will the next open house be?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

When will the next open house be?

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Hey all,

Is there any news on when the next Palladium Open House will be? They sound like they are a lot of fun and I've been curious about going to one of them since I was a teenager. Seems like a cool way to meet a lot of the big names in the company, as well as other Palladium fanboys (and girls).

Thanks all,
Captain_Nibbz
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Prysus
Champion

Re: When will the next open house be?

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Based upon the Weekly Updates, 2021 is the current plan.

PALLADIUM BOOKS® WEEKLY UPDATE – DEC. 28, 2018 wrote:[Very kind of you, J.B. The same to you and your family. I can hardly wait to get a bunch of new books into people’s hands next year – some epic stuff, and I’m already looking forward to the Palladium Open House we intend to host in 2021. – KS]

That's not the only mention, but it is the most recent in memory. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Thanks a lot for the info!

Is there any particular reason that the date is set so far off? Not that I'm complaining. I thinks its really cool that they do it in the first place to be honest. More curiosity than anything.

Thanks,
Captain_Nibbz
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:Thanks a lot for the info!

Is there any particular reason that the date is set so far off? Not that I'm complaining. I thinks its really cool that they do it in the first place to be honest. More curiosity than anything.

Thanks,
Captain_Nibbz

Greetings and Salutations. The Palladium Open House tends to take a lot of time and effort for the Palladium staff. A rewarding experience, but not one that can happen often and still maintain productivity.

The Palladium Open Houses I'm aware of were in: 2010 (I attended), 2012 (I had to cancel due to work), 2015 (I attended with my wife), and 2018 (couldn't attend due to finances). There was 1 or 2 before that, I think, but I couldn't tell you the dates from memory. A 3 year gap seems consistent with their frequency, so 2021 is right on the mark.

Anyway, hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Awesome! Thanks again for the info. Its a shame that its so far out, but I guess patience is a virtue and all that.

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

After a quick check of my photos and Orbitz account I'm pretty sure these are the POHs

1st POH was may of 2006, right after the Crisis of Treachery and at the time it was intended to be the only open house.I attended with a good friend of mine and lot of us at the time had the feeling that PB was basically going away. It had an atmosphere...even an intensity that I haven't seen in the later POHs.

2nd POH was 2007 and the big thing that year was Eric Wujick attended. I skipped that year because none of my friends were financialy able to go, I had just gotten married and I thought POHs were going to start happenig Anually or at least every other year. When EW announced he had cancer and then passed away in 2008 I kind of decided that I would not miss another POH.

3rd POH was 2009 I attended with almost my entire high school gaming group so this was the best one. Great costume contest that year. Personal fact, I also started running convention games at this one. This is also when they settled into the idea of doing them every 3 years.

As far as I know there wasn't a POH in 2010

4th POH was 2012 I attended with just two of my friends that year. I ran several games but I also got to play in a great BTS game that year.

5th POH was 2015 I went on my own that year but still had a lot of fun. Again ran a few games but played is some fun BTS and PFRPG which I never get to play.

6th POH was 2018 and I went on my own again. This one was different because attendees were split between two hotels. For POH 3-5 everyone stayed at this Clocktower place where there were rooms for late night gaming and you saw everyone at breakfast. For some reason this last one PB had to split between two hotels so that was different.

7th POH is planned for 2021 and if you don't see me there I'm probably dead.

Hope you get the chance to go Captain. The description of POH that I like is "it's the family reunion with people you actually like" well except for Chuck Walton, nobody likes him. :D JK
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Warshield73 wrote:As far as I know there wasn't a POH in 2010

Greetings and Salutations. This had me second guessing myself, but I double checked. Instead of going through things in my life at the time (which is why I recalled), I'll note the (then upcoming) POH2010 is mentioned in Rifter 49 and 50 (possibly others before that). Rifter 51 has the cover of the art contest winner, and Rifter 52 has the second place winner. In the costume contest Scott Gibbons dressed up as a "Glitter Boy" (or Crazy Boy, depending on a point of view). While a lot more happened that weekend, I don't recall anything that would easily stand out to others. Farewell and safe journeys.

palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Prysus wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. This had me second guessing myself, but I double checked. Instead of going through things in my life at the time (which is why I recalled), I'll note the (then upcoming) POH2010 is mentioned in Rifter 49 and 50 (possibly others before that). Rifter 51 has the cover of the art contest winner, and Rifter 52 has the second place winner. In the costume contest Scott Gibbons dressed up as a "Glitter Boy" (or Crazy Boy, depending on a point of view). While a lot more happened that weekend, I don't recall anything that would easily stand out to others. Farewell and safe journeys.

:D This is also for sale in the online catalog...

2010 Palladium Open House "Checklist" T-Shirt - Large wrote:2010 Palladium Open House "Checklist" T-Shirt
Even if you were not actually at the POH, this is a fun T-shirt to wear. Get 'em while supplies last. This "special commemorative" shirt will NOT be reprinted.

White text and image on a black T-shirt featuring a checklist of things that might have happened to you at the Open House (like being chased by zombies or your character killed by Carmen Bellaire). Fun and funny.
Type: 50/50 cotton polyester blend.
Sizes: Small to 2XL (and only a few 2XL are available).
Color: White art and text on a black T-shirt.
Concept by: Julius Rosenstein.
Cat. No. 2551. Available now while supplies last. Collector's item.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Prysus wrote:

Yeah I went back and checked the Rifter too and I noticed the 2010 as well. I didn't remember them doing back to back POHs twice but there it was.

palladiumjunkie wrote:
Prysus wrote:

:D This is also for sale in the online catalog...

2010 Palladium Open House "Checklist" T-Shirt - Large wrote:2010 Palladium Open House "Checklist" T-Shirt
Even if you were not actually at the POH, this is a fun T-shirt to wear. Get 'em while supplies last. This "special commemorative" shirt will NOT be reprinted.

White text and image on a black T-shirt featuring a checklist of things that might have happened to you at the Open House (like being chased by zombies or your character killed by Carmen Bellaire). Fun and funny.
Type: 50/50 cotton polyester blend.
Sizes: Small to 2XL (and only a few 2XL are available).
Color: White art and text on a black T-shirt.
Concept by: Julius Rosenstein.
Cat. No. 2551. Available now while supplies last. Collector's item.

-Chris

Yeah I have this shirt, I forgot about it, and with a few other things I think I might have attended the 2010 but just forgot about it but who knows.

But yes I stand corrected and 2021 should be the 8th POH.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

"your character killed by Carmen Bellaire"
i had this happen to me, only it wasn't at an open House (haven't bee nable to go yet. :( ) but rather at Origins.. 2004 i think? dinosaur swamp had just come out. i was in a Dinoswamp game being run by Todd Yoho, and at the climax of the game the group was facing down a splugorth capture team in Char, when Carmen's SAMAS pilot flew in and dropped two crates worth of plasma grenades. vaporized all the enemies, most of the group, and the entire bar in the center of Char..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:"your character killed by Carmen Bellaire"
i had this happen to me, only it wasn't at an open House (haven't bee nable to go yet. :( ) but rather at Origins.. 2004 i think? dinosaur swamp had just come out. i was in a Dinoswamp game being run by Todd Yoho, and at the climax of the game the group was facing down a splugorth capture team in Char, when Carmen's SAMAS pilot flew in and dropped two crates worth of plasma grenades. vaporized all the enemies, most of the group, and the entire bar in the center of Char..

:lol: :lol:
Ulairi
D-Bee

Unread post by Ulairi »

Having it in 2021 also makes it Palladium's 40th Anniversary. I'm really hoping we get a revised version of the rules that year.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Ulairi wrote:Having it in 2021 also makes it Palladium's 40th Anniversary. I'm really hoping we get a revised version of the rules that year.

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. PB has a hard time just putting out enough books to keep the lights on. Taking the time to do a true revision of the rules. I would love to see an updated, a 2.0 version if you will, but I just don't see them having the resources to do it.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

What they need is a split between editor and writer... Kevin needs to decide which he is and find someone to do the other... at the least.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Slight001 wrote:What they need is a split between editor and writer... Kevin needs to decide which he is and find someone to do the other... at the least.

They could also use an art director, business manager, and on top of all of these brand managers for each IP. A person for each IP to review the texts to try to eliminate all those little inconsistencies that us PB fans just know and "love" so much.

But hey with the financial shape PB is in why not ask for a pony too. I am just glad they are still putting out books.
Slight001
Hero

Yep their financials suck. Which is why I suggested a place to start where production would be, in theory, Improved.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

In an effort to continue the derailment of my own thread, I would like to beg the question and ask the following:

Does the Palladium system truely need a reboot?

I mean sure, it has a very old school mentality in the fact that the quality is sometimes inconsistent, and the rules are very much piecemeal at times. But is there anything that is truely inherently wrong with the system that can't be fixed by just applying a bit of logic and maybe a house rule?

I've been playing around with the system (mainly BtS) for about 6ish months now and so far I haven't ran across a single problem that I couldn't either apply a little bit of logic to or throw some dice at and have it be solved at the table.

That being said, I was firmly in the camp of advocating to completely throw out the system and rewrite it from the ground up for a long time. There were many failed attempts at this over the last 15 or so years. But one thing that I realized is that I was spending all my time complaining and theorizing and not actually playing the games. Once I sat down and started running a campaing, all those complaints that I had just kind of turned to vapor as we had fun playing the actual game.

Just my two cents on the matter though. I would genuinely love to hear other opinions if anyone is interested in having a discussion on the matter.

Slight001
Hero

I don't know that it so much needs a reboot so much as a revision via the gathering of the various rules into a single place and then having said rules be evaluated in relation to each other rather than in the vacuum many seem to have been written in.

Hope that makes sense to the rest of you.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Slight001 wrote:I don't know that it so much needs a reboot so much as a revision via the gathering of the various rules into a single place and then having said rules be evaluated in relation to each other rather than in the vacuum many seem to have been written in.

A core rules book that supercedes all other "core" books would be helpful. From there, each genre would just have their own world books, but each relies on the ONE SINGLE core book. There wouldn't be an appetite for that, though.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Slight001 wrote:I don't know that it so much needs a reboot so much as a revision via the gathering of the various rules into a single place and then having said rules be evaluated in relation to each other rather than in the vacuum many seem to have been written in.

I think that this makes perfect sense honestly. Other than the massive amount of books and material that would need to be waded through, whats stopping fans from putting together such a compilation project? If I remember right there is a pretty sizable rules reference thread or two hiding around here on the forums for a couple of the games, is it technically against forum rules that would stop some intrepid fans from doing something similar, but with the whole library?

Jack Burton wrote: A core rules book that supercedes all other "core" books would be helpful. From there, each genre would just have their own world books, but each relies on the ONE SINGLE core book. There wouldn't be an appetite for that, though.

I think that this is a noble concept honestly. There are a few other games that have done this to fairly good effect, such as the "End Of The World" line of games. Games like GURPS have also done this as well. Again, is there anything stopping a fan or group of fans from doing something like this using the method mentioned by Slight001? I know that we couldn't publish it on our own or release it into the wilds of the internet, but from what I've been able to gather from reading the forums and the Weekly Updates it seems like Palladium generally supports fan projects if you go through them for potential publishing and release.

Just my thoughts, which I am new to the community still so I'm sure there is a lot that I don't understand or know.

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

the system does need something of a reboot, it needs cleaned up, streamlined, and standardized. Ideally it'll have a lot of the same mechanics and concepts to keep the active combat system feel of the game, but without the hidden complexities
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Slight001
Hero

I'm not aware of anything stopping a revision of the rule set from happening other then the copyright (is that the right legal issue?) issue which would require them to be cleared by the Palladium staff (ie Kevin) before they see the light of day.

On the subject of other companies that have used Core Rules, Dream Pod 9 had something similar they did. Silhouette Core Rules I think was its name. The idea isn't a bad one and I'm amazed that Palladium hasn't done so already given their selling point of cross compatibility. Having a single 'living' book of rules and a collection of 'setting' sub-core books that covered the unique rules of the setting/world... if there are any and the setting itself would make sense to me. Course I think the same thing of most of the 'classes' within the settings.
malaclypse
D-Bee

Unread post by malaclypse »

A core rules book that supercedes all other "core" books would be helpful.

Isn't RUE that book?
PIKILIYA
Newb

Unread post by PIKILIYA »

Thanks,
Captain_Nibbz

Is there any news on when the next Palladium Open House will be? They sound like they are a lot of fun and I've been curious about going to one of them since I was a teenager. Seems like a cool way to meet a lot of the big names in the company, as well as other Palladium fanboys (and girls).
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

PIKILIYA wrote:

Thanks,
Captain_Nibbz

Greetings and Salutations. No hard date yet, but they continue to discuss it in the Weekly Updates. You can check them out here:

https://www.palladiumbooks.com/about-pa ... ly-updates

They also talk about various product updates (when available) and a few other odds and ends. Feel free to subscribe if any of that interests you, even if you just want to keep updated on the next Palladium Open House. A quick view of the last thing Palladium posted on the matter though ...

2021 PALLADIUM OPEN HOUSE (POH) – 40TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION – FIRST WAVE OF ADMISSIONS TO BE OFFERED IN A FEW WEEKS
I am working on establishing hotel dates now. I will try to do that by the next Weekly Update so we can make the first wave of Admissions to the 2021 POH available in a few weeks.

We hyped up the 2021 Palladium Open House (POH) at Gen Con, even handing out flyers. Well, anticipation is growing to the point that we’ve had a number of people reach out to us to ask when tickets might go up for sale. Due to popular demand, I will try to make the first wave of admissions tickets available in 2-3 weeks.

First, I need to nail down the dates with a couple of hotels. The event will be, as usual, held at the end of April or beginning of May. The reason is the event is held in our warehouse, which we can heat, but cannot air-condition, so we shoot for a time of year where the temperature is moderate and comfortable. We also have to work around a big University of Michigan event that books hotels for miles around. All of that is very doable with hotel prices generally ranging from $70-$150 per night.

This will be Palladium’s 40th Anniversary so we want to pull out all the stops and hope to bring in a record number of Palladium creators and friends. Size and available parking limits us to only about 300 attendees, so we recommend getting admissions early. As usual, we will offer tickets in 2 or 3 waves so everyone gets a chance to attend. Wave One should be made available in two or three weeks.

Intimate setting, unlike big conventions.
Family reunion and party atmosphere for the entire event.
Join the fun and make memories to last a lifetime.
Price of admission covers all RPG events.
Limited to only 300 attendees! May sell out.
Inexpensive hotels minutes away ($70-$150). 15 minutes from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Near major highways.
Details shall be coming soon to the Palladium Books website – http://www.palladiumbooks.com and upcoming Weekly Updates.
It all happens at the Palladium Books® Office and Warehouse – April or May, 2021 – 39074 Webb Court, Westland, Michigan, 48185, to celebrate Palladium Books’ 40th anniversary. A POH only happens every 2-4 years, and our 40th Anniversary only happens once in a lifetime. So please spread the word and start planning to join the fun in 2021, for an incredible experience.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

From the latest Weekly Update:

We hyped up the 2021 Palladium Open House (POH) at Gen Con, even handing out flyers. Well, anticipation is growing to the point that we’ve had a number of people reach out to us to ask when tickets might go up for sale. Due to popular demand, I will try to make the first wave of admissions tickets available in 2-3 weeks.

First, I need to nail down the dates with a couple of hotels. The event will be, as usual, held at the end of April or beginning of May. The reason is the event is held in our warehouse, which we can heat, but cannot air-condition, so we shoot for a time of year where the temperature is moderate and comfortable. We also have to work around a big University of Michigan event that books hotels for miles around. All of that is very doable with hotel prices generally ranging from $70-$150 per night.

This will be Palladium’s 40th Anniversary so we want to pull out all the stops and hope to bring in a record number of Palladium creators and friends. Size and available parking limits us to only about 300 attendees, so we recommend getting admissions early. As usual, we will offer tickets in 2 or 3 waves so everyone gets a chance to attend. Wave One should be made available in two or three weeks.

Intimate setting, unlike big conventions.
Family reunion and party atmosphere for the entire event.
Join the fun and make memories to last a lifetime.
Price of admission covers all RPG events.
Limited to only 300 attendees! May sell out.
Inexpensive hotels minutes away ($70-$150). 15 minutes from Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Near major highways.
Details shall be coming soon to the Palladium Books website – www.palladiumbooks.com and upcoming Weekly Updates.

It all happens at the Palladium Books® Office and Warehouse – April or May, 2021 – 39074 Webb Court, Westland, Michigan, 48185, to celebrate Palladium Books’ 40th anniversary. A POH only happens every 2-4 years, and our 40th Anniversary only happens once in a lifetime. So please spread the word and start planning to join the fun in 2021, for an incredible experience.
GregsonMin
Newb

Unread post by GregsonMin »

No tickets anymore?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

GregsonMin wrote:No tickets anymore?

Greetings and Salutations. Tickets are still available at the Palladium online store:

https://palladium-store.com/1001/catego ... Items.html

That should include V.I.P., Weekend, and/or Day Pass options. You might have to scroll down the page about halfway to find them. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Return to “Palladium Open House”