Interesting shower thought:

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Interesting shower thought:

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Would having Eyes of Thoth and Tongues active on my character, at the same time, effectively give me Computer Programming and Computer Hacking skills at 98%?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Interesting shower thought:

Unread post by Shark_Force »

it shouldn't. modern code is, as i understand it, millions of lines. unless you also have the ability to read millions of lines of text instantly, comprehending the code isn't going to do you much good in real time. unless you can crack security with only what you can write in a few seconds, you're not going to have any better tools than anyone else. and you won't have the knowledge of how to use those tools effectively, either.

and that presumes you can even *see* the raw code to begin with...
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Off the top of my head, if the character already had Computer Programming and Computer Hacking, then I might allow a bonus to those skills.
Understanding the syntax of a programming language is only a part of Computer Programming.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

HarleeKnight wrote:Would having Eyes of Thoth and Tongues active on my character, at the same time, effectively give me Computer Programming and Computer Hacking skills at 98%?

Not Computer Hacking. Computer Programming I could see in allowing you to "follow along", but not "write/edit" code. Tongues though really isn't necessary.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I would say no.

Even when you know the programming language it is still in code, and highly technical subject.
Perhaps I would allow you to read it as if it were some kind of Psuedo-Code but that is about it.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Are those items restricted to audible communication skills?

While computer language is used for networks to "talk" to each other, I would rule that they are more translating than understanding.

If it is audible communication only and you go back to the 1990's, you would be able to tell me what the initial dial-up tone is saying over the phone lines when connecting to the Internet.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I'd say no......but conversely a chiangku using eyes of Thoth and tongues in conjunction with the skills impersonate and imitate voices makes one hell of an infiltrator.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Really small fonts should instill some kind of skill penalties so eventually even at 98% you should be -90% to read really small fonts.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

HarleeKnight wrote:Would having Eyes of Thoth and Tongues active on my character, at the same time, effectively give me Computer Programming and Computer Hacking skills at 98%?

not coding but the language technician that the code is written in.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Blue_Lion wrote:

not coding but the language technician that the code is written in.

Does eyes of thoth allow you to read hieroglyphics? Do they allow one to understand how furigana works and how about all the Niqqud and Cantillation Mark's in Hebrew?

I'd say read the language not program it. But just like eyes of tooth doesnt allow you to write a language but rather understand it (here is the strange part) eyes of thoth would allow a person to understand the code which to me means seeing the program running or at least the element on the page/screen they're looking at. They read a printed program and they see the program or the portion their reading running. "So this part governs the pointer and ends on a later page. This one here sets the default font". I'd maybe go so far as to allow them to use the program (manipulate variables within it) as long as they can view all the sheets at the same time.

Maybe tongues would allow you to communicate with a computer using a dial up modem.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Think it would be like reading the command `player.setav luck 10.

Sure you can read it and understand it but that does not mean you would know what it does in fallout 4 unless you know that the syntax has a set value in the game engine.

you can read it and understand it but not know how the programming works.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Blue_Lion wrote:Think it would be like reading the command `player.setav luck 10.

Sure you can read it and understand it but that does not mean you would know what it does in fallout 4 unless you know that the syntax has a set value in the game engine.

you can read it and understand it but not know how the programming works.

Absolutely, that's why I said you see the graphics of the particular code your looking at. You neevr see the cdoe knid of lkie how poelpe raed wolhe wrdos not idnidvauil letrets tahts why mnay poelpe can raed tihs wtuoiht hivnag to uascnlrbme it fsrit.

But they'd understand that it is waiting for a variable in order to make a complete sentence because it would seem like an adlib.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say no, just like the ability to read runes (or even read a spell book) wouldn't make you a mage nor would reading a prescription give you the medical skills to know what the drug was, what it treats, how that treatment works, or its chemical composition or any of that....
It would just let you know what the spell in the book was described as doing, or the name of the drug.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Luvia
D-Bee

Unread post by Luvia »

Though if you already had the skills thespells would help in understaning unique andalien coding languages.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:I would say no, just like the ability to read runes (or even read a spell book) wouldn't make you a mage nor would reading a prescription give you the medical skills to know what the drug was, what it treats, how that treatment works, or its chemical composition or any of that....
It would just let you know what the spell in the book was described as doing, or the name of the drug.

Hmm... good point... but doesnt EOT say understand?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Luvia wrote:Though if you already had the skills thespells would help in understaning unique andalien coding languages.

But then we are assuming that it is only the base language is different. Maybe an alien system works on trinary or some other base language
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:I would say no, just like the ability to read runes (or even read a spell book) wouldn't make you a mage nor would reading a prescription give you the medical skills to know what the drug was, what it treats, how that treatment works, or its chemical composition or any of that....

Understand doesnt mean "know everything about"
If you understand english and read that something is a mamal you dont instantly know everything about the biology of mamals, or the genetics of mamels, or how their biochemistry works....just the general meaning of the word
It isnt omnicence.
Likewise if you understand a language you dont instantly become a master poet/bard/author. Because while you understand the language you can not, for want of a better term "manipulate it" perfectly nor do you understand every detail of it nor all the nuances and secondary and tertiary details.

The idea that EoT makes a person, litterally omnicent by granting them litterally ALL knowledge skills that could be tangentally described with language is absurd.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No more than having your Literacy: English skill at 98% makes your character a bestselling author.

Knowing how to write in a language doesn't make you a master at assembling it creatively.

Also, Computer Programing languages are less languages and more "Mathemetical functions using words to make formulas". Computer programming isn't a matter of knowing languages then being a master programmer by knowing the language. Thousands of programmers "Know" Java, or Javascript, or C++, but that doesn't make them crappy programmers.

That's why it's Comptuer Programming and Hacking, and not Literacy: Ruby on Rails.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

If you understand english and read that something is a mamal you dont instantly know everything about the biology of mamals, or the genetics of mamels, or how their biochemistry works....just the general meaning of the word
It isnt omnicence.
Likewise if you understand a language you dont instantly become a master poet/bard/author. Because while you understand the language you can not, for want of a better term "manipulate it" perfectly nor do you understand every detail of it nor all the nuances and secondary and tertiary details.

The idea that EoT makes a person, litterally omnicent by granting them litterally ALL knowledge skills that could be tangentally described with language is absurd.

No but you'd know what it meant. If the spell just allows you to make the sounds that native reader make when reading it then the spell is utterly useless. It has got to give you reference to your own culture. If your culture doesnt have mammals then how does it make you understand? Does it give a complete taxonomy course? Probably not. Does it leave it a mystery? No
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

It isnt omnicence.

No but you'd know what it meant. If the spell just allows you to make the sounds that native reader make when reading it then the spell is utterly useless. It has got to give you reference to your own culture. If your culture doesnt have mammals then how does it make you understand? Does it give a complete taxonomy course? Probably not. Does it leave it a mystery? No

Right. it gives you basic information.
But it doesn't give you more than that basic information.
And frankly... it might not even give you that. I am pretty sure that all of us here are considered literate in English, and by the rules we have the language at 98%. And yet, all of us encounter words that we don't know, especially in technical fields all the time. Thus even though we know English, we don't know everything that is conveyed in English.
So it is quite possible that it would tell you "that word is Mammal" and you would be left going "huh, I wonder what a mammal is?" You might get some context that its some sort of animal, but you might not. You certainly are not going to intuit that it means that it is a carbon based lifeform that breaths oxygen and has warm hemoglobin based blood, which bears live young which it nurses via lactation...

Thus, you don't get computer programing, or principles of magic, or lores, or mathematics, or history, or biology, or chemistry or any other skill.

The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

My take on it would be to say that it gives you reading, understanding, and I would allow you to program/hack, but with two big issues:

1) Time. For most things, you would have a very hard time doing anything with computer code because even though you can read and write it you are still operating at a normal reading speed. Most programs for any sort of complex system would be huge amounts of text to read through, and because the structure would not necessarily be strictly linear in how it's written you would probably have to read an awful lot of it before knowing that you found the bit you really needed in order to change things to what you wanted effectively. So it would kind of be like having to read a novel, or 3/4 of a given novel, to make sure you found the two different paragraphs that would need to have four words changed to match each other.

2) Art. Just because you can speak a language, even being fluent in it, does not mean you have a strong ability to work flow or poetry or effective metaphors or similes in that language. Pedagogy is an art within any given language.
In order to program something well, you need to not just throw words down on a page that make sense, but you need to create an entire written work that functions clearly as a whole item. Anyone can write enough words to fill a book, not everyone can write a good novel.
So while I would allow a character to program, or to hack, it would be at a major penalty because your ability to understand or make clear communications does not mean you are effective at making art with it - and in many ways programming is a form of art, of writing. And I guess hacking is kind of like fanfiction?
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

It isnt omnicence.

Right. it gives you basic information.
But it doesn't give you more than that basic information.
And frankly... it might not even give you that. I am pretty sure that all of us here are considered literate in English, and by the rules we have the language at 98%. And yet, all of us encounter words that we don't know, especially in technical fields all the time. Thus even though we know English, we don't know everything that is conveyed in English.
So it is quite possible that it would tell you "that word is Mammal" and you would be left going "huh, I wonder what a mammal is?" You might get some context that its some sort of animal, but you might not. You certainly are not going to intuit that it means that it is a carbon based lifeform that breaths oxygen and has warm hemoglobin based blood, which bears live young which it nurses via lactation...

Thus, you don't get computer programing, or principles of magic, or lores, or mathematics, or history, or biology, or chemistry or any other skill.

What's with the ... ? You were almost to the part that truly defines mammals. Nurses via lactation from mammory glands. Mammal = breast, reptile = crawl, insect = segmented, bird = chick/fledgling

We are literally b00bs. :lol:

As to that last part. Right. And it being mystical and all you read through a sheath of programming and you see what it is supposed to do you never understand the coding or how to code you just get what it does. So if a GM chose to do it that way would a person with photographic memory be able to run the program in their heads whenever they wanted or once eyes of thoth expires do the images either words or a visualization return to gibberish? I'd argue that it would remain understandable otherwise you wouldn't remember what you just read either... how far would the reversion go? If you read it out loud and then the spell expired, if the GM had it returned to gibberish in photographic memory it should do the same with a person with normal memory so then does everyone that heard the words suddenly remember gibberish? What is the point of the spell in that case? I think a wizard being able to run programs in their head is neat. I'm going to use that.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Wizard: Hmm... it's a calculator app... only basic.
Someone else: pick him up and turn him on his side.
Wizard: Oh... it does scientific calculations now...

:lol:

Return to “Rifts®”