Long Distance Dim Mak

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cms6317
D-Bee

Long Distance Dim Mak

Unread post by cms6317 »

I am looking for some update/clarification.
Does Long Distance Dim Mak no longer have any value?
It says that it used to work on copper lines, but not optical lines?
Okay, it doesn't work on wi-fi or Bluetooth, fine, I'll give it to you (which I think there should be an errata that allows for a ranged Dim Mak up to 30 or 90 ft).
Dim Mak should work on anything that is connected to what the person is touching.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Was there anything in Rifter that made provisions for moving into the 21st Century?

Thanks!
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Long Distance Dim Mak

Unread post by Axelmania »

Why would it no longer have any value? Being able to attack through a wall or a floor is pretty useful, and I can't see anything preventing you from using it as a touch-based attack similar to the non-advanced (touch-based) Dim Mak.

Page 151 mentions it works through "lines and wires" but not microwave/radio/satellite...

Ah I see it carries over to 152 mentioning optical cables. I hadn't even noticed that until now. As this becomes incorporated into infrastructure of more places, it narrows the realm of use, but I don't think enough places have switched to fiber optics (particularly for basic telephone conversations) that it would matter.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

cms6317 wrote:I am looking for some update/clarification.
Does Long Distance Dim Mak no longer have any value?
It says that it used to work on copper lines, but not optical lines?
Okay, it doesn't work on wi-fi or Bluetooth, fine, I'll give it to you (which I think there should be an errata that allows for a ranged Dim Mak up to 30 or 90 ft).
Dim Mak should work on anything that is connected to what the person is touching.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Was there anything in Rifter that made provisions for moving into the 21st Century?

Thanks!

Not really. The GM can do what they want of course...
...one thing is that Dim Mak is seriously scary stuff. It is classical "Save or die" stuff of the Old School, Killer DM of the 80s"
There is no cure, so you get hit you die. Thus it needs to have some weaknesses or it turns quickly into an "I win" button. And those aren't fun for anyone on either side of the screen.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Most people's lack of access to chi healers already makes negative chi attacks an I-win stealth button. It's prolonged time at 0 or neg chi which causes problems, not inability to restore chi.

Inability to restore chi only causes problems if it can somehow whittle down to 0 which I don't know any way of happening aside from insanity or negative chi attacks.

I think something like "any time you naturally heal HP or SDC, you lose 1 chi, but get it back normally" could help deal with the problem.

Or perhaps "you lose 1 chi for every 8 hours of activity", which people would naturally get back by sleeping usually. Which would also work as a helpful mechanic for the problems created by sleep deprivation, which I don't think we have rules for.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:Most people's lack of access to chi healers already makes negative chi attacks an I-win stealth button. It's prolonged time at 0 or neg chi which causes problems, not inability to restore chi.

Inability to restore chi only causes problems if it can somehow whittle down to 0 which I don't know any way of happening aside from insanity or negative chi attacks.

I think something like "any time you naturally heal HP or SDC, you lose 1 chi, but get it back normally" could help deal with the problem.

Or perhaps "you lose 1 chi for every 8 hours of activity", which people would naturally get back by sleeping usually. Which would also work as a helpful mechanic for the problems created by sleep deprivation, which I don't think we have rules for.

Since almost every one with Dim Mak has access to negative chi attacks as well, the issue is self correcting. Since they can either attack and blow away Chi, or they can attack and be blocked.. which still burns Chi.

And the access to chi healing is moderated by the GM and their decision on how widely available access to Chi restoration is. We are told that you can get your Chi healed by various methods with the implication that there are ways to cure 0 chi with out requiring a chi master. Dim mak on the other hand can only be cured by Plot Devices, or by discorparation.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

>almost every one with Dim Mak has access to negative chi attacks as well

Not really.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”