Savage Rifts House Rules and Armory

Welcome to the Palladium Books destination for all things Savage Rifts™. Please keep conversions to items, people, etc found in the various Rifts books and/or Savage Rifts books.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MikelAmroni
Hero

Savage Rifts House Rules and Armory

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I wanted to make a couple of things available to you all here, and extend an invitation:

Over at SavageRifts.com we have had to answer a lot of the same questions you have asked, and more. We have set up a modest collection of house rules (races, edges, a handful of IFs, MARS Packages, etc) that we encourage you to look through and adopt if you find them useful. We've had to convert the following races: Chasseur Vert, Centaur, Palladium Elves, Psi-Ghost, Silhouette, True Atlantean, Uteni, Were-Creatures (does not include a hybrid form, you'll have to retrap class features for that), and Wolfen. We've also created rules for using Magical Tattoos, a catch-all IF that does nearly everything else, edges for Psi-Nullifiers and Psi-Warriors, as well as numerous trappings.

We also have converted some gear, though as much as possible, this is simply a reskinning. I was very involved in the project on Google+ that translated Naruni Tech. We're also working through Bandito Arms as well. I also translated a lot of the CS gear that didn't make it into the CS Field Manual. I needed it for my own games. And I am always working through more. You'll find all of that in our armory.

And lastly, if you enjoy the play by post format, we're always looking for new blood, both at SavageRifts.com and ExplorersUnlimited.com - our sister site. The Savage side of things has a very involved player base who are enthusiastic, as well as a growing pool of Game Masters, many of whom were mentored from within the community.

We also have a good relationship with many of the Savage Rifters in the Google+ community, including Beacon, the Voice of Hope. One of our groups was recently mentioned in the podcast, and my own PC in that game, now has a character link to the character of Beacon. Thanks to Sean for that bit of fun.

Of course I'd be recalcitrant if I didn't mention Radio Free Merctown, the podcast that Augur, the site owner, runs every month. Its a good look at the hobby, the world of Rifts, and the various groups on both sites.

Whether we are simply a reference for rules and gear for your own table, a place to game, or a jumping off point to information and such, we hope you'll enjoy our site.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
MikelAmroni
Hero

How we do what we do

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I wanted to share another post that covers our design philosophies on any conversion/translation efforts:

I want to translate ___. I don't feel it's done right currently.
1. Can it be done by a basic trapping/redescription? Example: The Dogboy Crazy as a Killhound
2. Can it be done by a MARS Package? Example: Psi-Slinger
3. Can it be done by a custom edge? Example: Automatic Psi-Nullification as a retrap of First Strike
4. Can it be done by a more involved trapping/redescription? Example: The Sea Inquisitor
5. Can it be done by a combination of ARES Origin and Power and Greatness? Example: Asgardian Elf
6. If no to all, then make a custom IF in the House Rules Proposal or Community Projects Forums. Example: The Maxi-Man or Undead Slayer

If you're translating something.
1. If a Custom IF or ARES Package, start with what is descriptively iconic - 3 to 5 iconic things at Novice.
2. Then define 3-5 iconic things as they grow/advance.
3. Begin translating those iconic things into rules, completely divorced from the original except via that description.
4. Get feedback, especially from system and setting "experts" among our GMs and players. Do not take criticism personally, but remember it is still your project. But if people see an issue, there might be one. So look hard at your reasoning. If there is a less complex way to do something that does not violate the fluff - use that. Simplicity and core rules trump everything else. Fast, Furious, and Fun.
5. Repeat Step 3 and 4 until you have an agreeable thing.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Re: Savage Rifts House Rules and Armory

Unread post by Augur »

These posts are Augur-approved.
:ok:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Savage Rifts™”