when do reincarnated mages register as magic?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

when do reincarnated mages register as magic?

Unread post by Axelmania »

If you knew magic in your past life would 'sense magic' and similar pick up on you if your memories of how to cast magic had not returned?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: when do reincarnated mages register as magic?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rifter 1, page 117 is the only published text that covers this outside the text about enlighten immortals in the MC book..
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Axelmania wrote:If you knew magic in your past life would 'sense magic' and similar pick up on you if your memories of how to cast magic had not returned?

I'd go with no, but only if the current life hasn't built up a large PPE base and the method of reincarnation doesn't make the person a creature of magic. Now once the memories return, I'd also say the person would have to rebuild their PPE base before being able to be picked up by Sense Magic.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Rifter 1, page 117 is the only published text that covers this outside the text about enlighten immortals in the MC book..

Are you sure you're not thinking about Rifter 3, page 55? Because what you pointed out seems to be more for BTS, and doesn't feel like an enlightened immortal to me.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Beast wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Rifter 1, page 117 is the only published text that covers this outside the text about enlighten immortals in the MC book..

Are you sure you're not thinking about Rifter 3, page 55? Because what you pointed out seems to be more for BTS, and doesn't feel like an enlightened immortal to me.

What you pointed out is a part of a large article of a conversion to rifts of the stuff in the MC book. As such I mentioned both 'the canon' for N&S/MC and 'the rifter optional'. Each with it's own flavor. And the class in the rifter 1 article actually looks like it fits the question being asked. Since the OP didn't mention the EI.

Besides, this is the N&S/MC forum. So why would I bring up something meant for Rifts when I mentioned the canon original? :-?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Beast I don't believe the non-canon Rifts suggestion for MDC Enlightened Immortals in Rifter 3 actually addressed anything like this.

Drew the Transcendent by James Calder (though non-canon) does seem like neat guidelines for randomly determining past lives, but it doesn't really cover the discovery of memories over time.

Where it differs is permanence. Enlightened Immortals keep the knowledge they regain but:
    Once the danger has passed, the character suddenly forgets the knowledge and cannot recreate it

So even if you temporarily registered as magic when you cast Globe of Daylight, you lose that spell after and might cease to qualify as magic.

Beast about the 'enough PPE' thing, kids generally have a lot of it so that's the major concern here. I'm not even sure it's possible for kids to have less PPE than the amount you keep behind if you transfer it into other peoples to avoid detection as mage... for get name of spell which does that.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

No.
Sense Magic would detect "Magic."
Unless your reincarnated mage is now a creature of magic, or supernatural creature (which can only be traced to a "general" area).
A human mage with the maximum possible PPE would be undetectable until he cast a spell, at which point the SPELL would be detected.

If your reincarnated mage regains the KNOWLEDGE of how to cast spells, does not mean (s)he *can* cast spells. The mind knows how to do it, but the body can not *yet* do it. You'll have to re-train the body (i.e.: grow your PPE).
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Topic Locked for necromancy. 3 years between posts.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”