Things I want to see at the next Open House

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alpha 11
Palladin

Things I want to see at the next Open House

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

With Open House talk happening, I thought I'd start a list of things we all might want to see at the next one:

1) A RTT tournament! (And I'll be ready this time!)

2) At least one person doing Savage Rifts. If we can get the head guy to come, even better!

3) Kevin basicly does the same game every OH IIRR, and he can do it again, but maybe adding a different stand alone game or 2 in a different setting or if the same setting, but a different adventure, along with that one.

Anything else?
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Re: Things I want to see at the next Open House

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Palladium staff running at least one game each!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp wrote:Palladium staff running at least one game each!!

I could go for that! If not run, maybe them be one of the people in the game you can play beside. I'd love to play a game with Chuck Walton, aka Premier and be in another game run by Scott Gibbons.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

I would love to see a round table or a panel talk on the Rifter submission process. I'm sure I'm not the only one with ideas of what they would love to submit. Hearing success stories, best demonstrated practices, and tips might help a few of us put pen to paper.

Elly_G
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
Alpha 11
Palladin

If there is an RTT tournament, have it be with the full 300 points!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Elly_G wrote:I would love to see a round table or a panel talk on the Rifter submission process. I'm sure I'm not the only one with ideas of what they would love to submit. Hearing success stories, best demonstrated practices, and tips might help a few of us put pen to paper.

Elly_G

I would love to sit on the panel for you folks.
Asgar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Asgar »

[quote="Alpha 11"]With Open House talk happening, I thought I'd start a list of things we all might want to see at the next

2) At least one person doing Savage Rifts. If we can get the head guy to come, even better!/quote]

I would run savage Rifts like a madman if I could just get there!!!
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Here's something that I think would be AWESOME... a beginner's workshop on how to GM. I know for many that sounds lame, but in my case, for example, I've never ran a Palladium game.... played them, but never ran them. I've ran other RPGs for my kids before, but let's face it, Little Wizards and My Little Pony aren't the same as Palladium games. The intricacies and detail of the system are why we love it, but I admit it's a little intimidating thinking about being on the other side of the table. Plus, I would imagine it's tougher to GM for an adult than it is for a 6 year old.

Yes, I know there are GM guides (I've read the HU one), but to learn from the creators and skilled practitioners (many of you all) would be EPIC!

Lastly, if people were trained to be GMs at the Open House, they could go back home and start up a group. In my case, I'm a player in my city without a group. If I knew how to effectively GM, I could start my own group and recruit others to play (aka NEW CUSTOMERS)!

Thoughts?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Jack Burton wrote:Here's something that I think would be AWESOME... a beginner's workshop on how to GM. I know for many that sounds lame, but in my case, for example, I've never ran a Palladium game.... played them, but never ran them. I've ran other RPGs for my kids before, but let's face it, Little Wizards and My Little Pony aren't the same as Palladium games. The intricacies and detail of the system are why we love it, but I admit it's a little intimidating thinking about being on the other side of the table. Plus, I would imagine it's tougher to GM for an adult than it is for a 6 year old.

Yes, I know there are GM guides (I've read the HU one), but to learn from the creators and skilled practitioners (many of you all) would be EPIC!

Lastly, if people were trained to be GMs at the Open House, they could go back home and start up a group. In my case, I'm a player in my city without a group. If I knew how to effectively GM, I could start my own group and recruit others to play (aka NEW CUSTOMERS)!

Thoughts?

That's an interesting idea... I think it'd be tough to get a few people together who actually agree on how to run palladium games, but that may also be part of the benefit - getting those multiple viewpoints.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:Here's something that I think would be AWESOME... a beginner's workshop on how to GM. I know for many that sounds lame, but in my case, for example, I've never ran a Palladium game.... played them, but never ran them. I've ran other RPGs for my kids before, but let's face it, Little Wizards and My Little Pony aren't the same as Palladium games. The intricacies and detail of the system are why we love it, but I admit it's a little intimidating thinking about being on the other side of the table. Plus, I would imagine it's tougher to GM for an adult than it is for a 6 year old.

Thoughts?

That's an interesting idea... I think it'd be tough to get a few people together who actually agree on how to run palladium games, but that may also be part of the benefit - getting those multiple viewpoints.

For those who would want that, I could go for that. And I'm sure the people in that group could all agree on some basics for GMing.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Jack Burton wrote:Thoughts?

I fully agree with you.

The best way to learn how to GM a PB game is to just do it. Trial by fire. It's not hard, just different.

The POH is an awesome place to see how others GM their games. I loved going to the POH just to try out how various GMs did their thing compared to how I run stuff and GMs were trading LOTS of tips and thoughts.

The joke about a GM panel would be 4 GMs with 4 interpretations of the rules!!

For instance, I houserule so much (mostly behind the screen) that I don't often see RAW issues because I nuked them decades ago.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

If I was going I would have run a "celeb" game (writers, artists and defo Kevin) in front of the audience (like they do at the PAX conventions - to be filmed for YouTube.

Its still a good idea (If I do say so myself). So unless you can wait til 2019 someone else should do it - My definitive nomination would be James Brown (YW James, hehe)....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Alpha 11
Palladin

The Dark Elf wrote:If I was going I would have run a "celeb" game (writers, artists and defo Kevin) in front of the audience (like they do at the PAX conventions - to be filmed for YouTube.

Its still a good idea (If I do say so myself). So unless you can wait til 2019 someone else should do it - My definitive nomination would be James Brown (YW James, hehe)....

That could be fun to watch.
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:If I was going I would have run a "celeb" game (writers, artists and defo Kevin) in front of the audience (like they do at the PAX conventions - to be filmed for YouTube.

I love this idea, and will bring it up to them- including James.
My Twitter
Image Image
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

zyanitevp wrote:

Aww, you guys make me blush, I am not worthy! But would love to help!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Reelman wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:

Aww, you guys make me blush, I am not worthy! But would love to help!

I think this looks like more and more people would go for it. Someone should ask Kevin if he would go for it.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Which hotel?
What's the best airport to fly into?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

And does said hotel have suites? The kind with multiple rooms off a common room? I'd go in with others so we could have all night games... Well, wee hour in the morning games. And if anyone wants to carpool from the airport we should make arrangements for that too.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

They will announce the hotel soon, but IIRC the previous hotel didn't have suites, but it did have a 24/7 room for late night gaming.

I do not enjoy watching RPGs on YouTube, but I know many people love it. I fully support the idea of a Celebrity Rifts game. In fact, in the age of Twitch, it's kind of a mandatory thing for promotion.

Kevin loves to run Palladium Fantasy, but I really would love to play in a Rifts event with him as GM.

As for airport, I thought there was only one in Detroit?

It would help cut costs if people chipped into a larger car rental and used that for group transport to/from the POH, hotel and airport. Of course, arranging flights at similar times would be tough.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Spinachcat wrote:They will announce the hotel soon, but IIRC the previous hotel didn't have suites, but it did have a 24/7 room for late night gaming.

I do not enjoy watching RPGs on YouTube, but I know many people love it. I fully support the idea of a Celebrity Rifts game. In fact, in the age of Twitch, it's kind of a mandatory thing for promotion.

Kevin loves to run Palladium Fantasy, but I really would love to play in a Rifts event with him as GM.

It would help cut costs if people chipped into a larger car rental and used that for group transport to/from the POH, hotel and airport. Of course, arranging flights at similar times would be tough.

Hey... MAYBE if they start doing this every 18 months PB would purchase a short bus and have volunteers drive. Even get a company wrap done and pasted all over the thing. Nothing like a traveling Rifts/PFRPG/HU/etc... advertisement.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:They will announce the hotel soon, but IIRC the previous hotel didn't have suites, but it did have a 24/7 room for late night gaming.

Hey... MAYBE if they start doing this every 18 months PB would purchase a short bus and have volunteers drive. Even get a company wrap done and pasted all over the thing. Nothing like a traveling Rifts/PFRPG/HU/etc... advertisement.

:lol: If only...
zyanitevp
Champion

zyanitevp wrote:

Looks like this might really happen!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tickets are on sale!!!!!!!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Jack Burton wrote:Tickets are on sale!!!!!!!

:D Got mine! :D With VIP Thursday!
zyanitevp
Champion

Excited that not only am I going, but half of my players (3/6) are also going! It also looks like I will not be running the gaming schedule, so I may actually get to participate and talk to all you crazy folks more!
My Twitter
Image Image
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp wrote:Excited that not only am I going, but half of my players (3/6) are also going! It also looks like I will not be running the gaming schedule, so I may actually get to participate and talk to all you crazy folks more!

:D Just make sure the men in the white outfits don't find out about it! :D
Last edited by Alpha 11 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Wish they'd release stuff like best airport to fly into and the hotel we should book in before they release tickets for sale so some of us can look for deals before all the VIP tickets are picked up. :(
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

You won't get any cheaper airfare than flying into Detroit Metro Airport since it's a major hub and only about 15 miles away from Palladium. Red Roof Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites aren't the only hotels in the area, but their prices are great. We're staying at La Quinta only because it'll be free with our reward points we'll be cashing in on. I think they've given enough good details to plan a fun trip.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:You won't get any cheaper airfare than flying into Detroit Metro Airport since it's a major hub and only about 15 miles away from Palladium. Red Roof Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites aren't the only hotels in the area, but their prices are great. We're staying at La Quinta only because it'll be free with our reward points we'll be cashing in on. I think they've given enough good details to plan a fun trip.

LaQuinta seems to be the least expensive right now.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

I was pleasantly surprised to find out it's only 1.7 miles away from Palladium.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

I just thought how cool it will be to be able to put a name and a face to some of the forum names. We should all wear nametags that go something like, "HI, I'm So and So... aka Jack Burton" That would be classic.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Jack Burton wrote:I just thought how cool it will be to be able to put a name and a face to some of the forum names. We should all wear nametags that go something like, "HI, I'm So and So... aka Jack Burton" That would be classic.

Most of the people at the OH write their forum handle on their badge.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Reelman wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:I just thought how cool it will be to be able to put a name and a face to some of the forum names. We should all wear nametags that go something like, "HI, I'm So and So... aka Jack Burton" That would be classic.

Perfect!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Reelman wrote:

Never thought to do that. Might do it this time.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

In 2009 could have sworn it was only myself and Killer Cyborg.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yay!!! Looks like I get to go AND bring my son.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:Yay!!! Looks like I get to go AND bring my son.

How old is your son?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

He will be 16 when we go... about the same age I was when I was playing Robotech and TMNT transdimensional and wishing ON had a mashup series like TORG or GURPS.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:He will be 16 when we go... about the same age I was when I was playing Robotech and TMNT transdimensional and wishing ON had a mashup series like TORG or GURPS.

What a great age for playing Palladium games! My kids are still too young.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:He will be 16 when we go... about the same age I was when I was playing Robotech and TMNT transdimensional and wishing ON had a mashup series like TORG or GURPS.

Wish he had more chances to experience playing though. For some reason PB in King County WA is like talking to a 4 year old about quantum theory. They just tilt there head and ask why you put a cat in a box.

Our group was all transplants from AK... from my previous game groups. My son, me, my crazy brother in law who has a fit whenever something doesn't go or isn't portrayed the way he thinks it should, and by best friend who isnt as sharp as he used to be and can only stand my brother in law for short periods.

So my son's experiences have been... dysfunctional. So I'm hoping that besides spending time together he will have a chance to see better gaming.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:

Wish he had more chances to experience playing though. For some reason PB in King County WA is like talking to a 4 year old about quantum theory. They just tilt there head and ask why you put a cat in a box.

Our group was all transplants from AK... from my previous game groups. My son, me, my crazy brother in law who has a fit whenever something doesn't go or isn't portrayed the way he thinks it should, and by best friend who isnt as sharp as he used to be and can only stand my brother in law for short periods.

So my son's experiences have been... dysfunctional. So I'm hoping that besides spending time together he will have a chance to see better gaming.

Ugh... sounds painful. You ever try GMing for him and a couple of his friends? I GM for my 3 kids, but not PB stuff (yet). I run Little Wizards for them and then take them to a game store for Tales of Equestria (My Little Pony) where a game store employee usually runs it. I just kind of help out here and there for that one.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:

Ugh... sounds painful. You ever try GMing for him and a couple of his friends? I GM for my 3 kids, but not PB stuff (yet). I run Little Wizards for them and then take them to a game store for Tales of Equestria (My Little Pony) where a game store employee usually runs it. I just kind of help out here and there for that one.

Yeah... unfortunately the kids around here can't understand why anyone would want to do anything other than video games. :cry:

So my brother in law was playing in a game of Mutant Chronicles I was running. He was a Doom Trooper unit Captain. The unit was hosting a dignitary from the Cathedral, who was a prior Doom Trooper serving with the Captains superior. The dignitary was there to use the Doom Troopers as an escort so she could inspect the current situation of the front lines. Two of the people in the unit were pilots so they flew the group into the area and they were going to leave the aircraft so they could go with the unit. My BIL started going off about me making a six man team a four man team and that real military units have other units pilot for them. I brought up that it is just a game and many other genre in many other media have the "team" supply their own transport. He started yelling about how if they left it then the enemies would destroy it. I asked him if he thought I was a killer GM. He said no, but if it was me that is what I'd do. Apparently he was too stupid to understand that I'm not him.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Spinachcat wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:Thoughts?

I fully agree with you.

The best way to learn how to GM a PB game is to just do it. Trial by fire. It's not hard, just different.

The POH is an awesome place to see how others GM their games. I loved going to the POH just to try out how various GMs did their thing compared to how I run stuff and GMs were trading LOTS of tips and thoughts.

The joke about a GM panel would be 4 GMs with 4 interpretations of the rules!!

For instance, I houserule so much (mostly behind the screen) that I don't often see RAW issues because I nuked them decades ago.

If there isn't going to be any "official" discussion on GMing, I'll just keep my eyes and ears open. Since I last posted that idea, I've been more active in an online group and have picked up some great tips from our GM, Tick. I'd still love to see how everyone else runs their games, though.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hey Burton. So does that mean I should bring my stuff and run a game at our hotel?
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:Hey Burton. So does that mean I should bring my stuff and run a game at our hotel?

I'll PM you.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

I was thinking the models from the Rifter swim suit special.
Everyone might enjoy that.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tick wrote:I was thinking the models from the Rifter swim suit special.

Hahaha... except the wife.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jack Burton wrote:
Tick wrote:I was thinking the models from the Rifter swim suit special.

Hahaha... except the wife.

There was supposed to be an Algerian Blind Warrior Woman in a dungeon cell chained to the wall with water flooring down on her by Apollo but his rough had her backside way too big and he wasn't able to get it the way he wanted it. I hope he is going to be there he said he'd scratch one up the next time we meet.
Apollo Okamura
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Apollo Okamura »

Zer0 Kay wrote:...I hope he is going to be there he said he'd scratch one up the next time we meet.

Will be there!! :wink:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Apollo Okamura wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:...I hope he is going to be there he said he'd scratch one up the next time we meet.

Will be there!! :wink:

Wooooohoooo!!!!!!!

Return to “Palladium Open House”