SA:2 Neo-Human

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: SA:2 Neo-Human

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:And that's a Fine Houserule but not how the power actually works

None of what he's saying is a house rule, you are the one house ruling because again as has been pointed out repeatedly to you the power does not have the limitation you insist it has. The BEST you can do is argue that YOUR house rule is just as valid as the alternative what you CAN'T do is argue that your house rule is the canon (i.e. by the book) rule because it isn't, nor is anyone who thinks otherwise going to accept your house rule as the canon answer since again it isn't.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

And your welcome to say that the power can be canceled when clearly it cannot.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

say652 wrote:And your welcome to say that the power can be canceled when clearly it cannot.
Those are wonderful illustrations of completely unsupported arguments. So prove it. PROVE, from the text, that the transformation power is either not a psychic power, or is a psychic power but is not subject to the rules about duration from Psyscape, pages 33-34. Find something in the text that actually says that the ONLY way for the transformation power to end is for the ISP base to be reduced to zero. Alternatively, find something that actually says that it is not a psychic power.

You won't be able to do either, of course, because what I've laid out is not a house rule. It is how the power works according to the rules as written, as I've repeatedly demonstrated by citing the actual text of the books.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dreicunan wrote:
say652 wrote:And your welcome to say that the power can be canceled when clearly it cannot.
Those are wonderful illustrations of completely unsupported arguments. So prove it. PROVE, from the text, that the transformation power is either not a psychic power, or is a psychic power but is not subject to the rules about duration from Psyscape, pages 33-34. Find something in the text that actually says that the ONLY way for the transformation power to end is for the ISP base to be reduced to zero. Alternatively, find something that actually says that it is not a psychic power.

You won't be able to do either, of course, because what I've laid out is not a house rule. It is how the power works according to the rules as written, as I've repeatedly demonstrated by citing the actual text of the books.

Yet the only thing you have supporting your point of view is the lack of a word in a sentence.

Grammar is not a game mechanic.

The limitation of the Transformation power is how it was intended to be used trying to make things work how ever you want is house rules.

And that's ok.
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

Yet the only thing you have supporting your point of view is the lack of a word in a sentence.

Grammar is not a game mechanic.

The limitation of the Transformation power is how it was intended to be used trying to make things work how ever you want is house rules.

And that's ok.
Okay, WORDS in a book don't matter? The WORDS in a rule don't matter?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grammar and syntax may not be game mechanics, but they are fundamental to figuring out what language means. You've effectively conceded that the rules-as-written function as I've claimed, because otherwise why would you now be making the claim that the transformation power having to run until the ISP base is depleted is what as INTENDED while offering no proof. Indeed, how could you offer proof? Such a proof would have to be offered on this forum through the written language, and that would involve using words, grammar, and syntax to attempt to communicate meaning.

Seriously, how did you even reach the (clearly erroneous to those of us for whom words do matter) conclusion that the power having to run the ISP base is depleted being what was "intended" without the use of words? And if you did use words, then doesn't that mean that words matter, which would thus invalidate your whole argument?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

In my opinion, the ability to cancel the power isn't an ability because the text says it cannot be cancelled and the base must be depleted to end.
But hey, Feel free to house rule as you see fit.
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:In my opinion, the ability to cancel the power isn't an ability because the text says it cannot be cancelled and the base must be depleted to end.
But hey, Feel free to house rule as you see fit.
PROVE that the text says that it cannot be cancelled. CITE the text. You don't even have to bother looking it up, because I already cited the relevant text from World Book 9 in this thread!

Which is probably why you aren't citing it, because as I already demonstrated the text doesn't say that it cannot be cancelled.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

When the Base is expended it ends. Exactly what I've been saying
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:When the Base is expended it ends. Exactly what I've been saying

Yes, if the base is reduced to zero the power ends. No one has disputed that. That isn't the same thing as saying "and you can't cancel it before the ISP base is depleted," which is what you have been arguing, and is not supported by the text.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dreicunan wrote:
say652 wrote:When the Base is expended it ends. Exactly what I've been saying

Yes, if the base is reduced to zero the power ends. No one has disputed that. That isn't the same thing as saying "and you can't cancel it before the ISP base is depleted," which is what you have been arguing, and is not supported by the text.

Neither is the ability to end the Transformation early when it clearly says it ends when the base is depleted.
dreicunan
Hero

The ability to end the transformation early is supported by Psyscape, pages 33-34, which I have cited earlier in this thread, and which makes it clear that psychics can end powers at will and do not have to let them run for the full duration.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dreicunan wrote:The ability to end the transformation early is supported by Psyscape, pages 33-34, which I have cited earlier in this thread, and which makes it clear that psychics can end powers at will and do not have to let them run for the full duration.

And for a standard Psychic power you are correct.

This is a unique Natural ability that only the Neo Humans have and in the power description it clearly states the limits, abilities and when the power ends.

Power ends when Base is depleted.
dreicunan
Hero

Nothing in the text in Psyscape pages 33-34 limits it to "standard" psychic powers; it is applicable to psychic powers, period.

I've already explained why the Transformation ability is a psychic power; every single item under "Natural Abilities" in every RCC in the Achilles Republic section of South America 2 is a psychic power. The transformation is listed under natural abilities in an RCC in that section. Therefore, it is a psychic ability. Ergo, as a psychic ability, it can be cancelled at will.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dreicunan wrote:Nothing in the text in Psyscape pages 33-34 limits it to "standard" psychic powers; it is applicable to psychic powers, period.

I've already explained why the Transformation ability is a psychic power; every single item under "Natural Abilities" in every RCC in the Achilles Republic section of South America 2 is a psychic power. The transformation is listed under natural abilities in an RCC in that section. Therefore, it is a psychic ability. Ergo, as a psychic ability, it can be cancelled at will.

Except in the power description it tells you When the power ends.
dreicunan
Hero

Plenty of other psychic powers give durations. That doesn't invalidate Psyscape pages 33-34.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

And as the GM you have the right to House Rule as you see fit.
dreicunan
Hero

Yes, but the house rule here would be to declare that you can't end the transformation until the ISP base is reduced to zero. RAW, the transformation ends either upon being cancelled by the Neo-Human or upon the ISP base reaching zero.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The duration is listed with no option to cancel it, but book stacking you can build anything you want.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

It would seem to me that there is plenty of support for a GM to be on pretty solid ground no matter which way they rule.
Which, to me is good.
A GM SHOULD be willing to make rulings in areas where things are not 100% clear...
...the less arbitrary those rulings are the better (in my opinion).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
dreicunan
Hero

Book-stacking? Now, where would I get an idea like that...oh, I know!

From Page 1 of South America 2 below the picture: "Compatible with the entire Palladium Books Megaverse!"

The same quote is found in Psyscape on page 1.

If you aren't "book stacking," how on earth are you playing this game?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

By the rules.
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:By the rules.

Clearly not, if you consider using multiple books to be "book stacking," as the rules are spread out through multiple books (especially for things like magic and bionics).
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Then we must agree to disagree because allowing the power to be on and off at will is Munchkin to me.
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:Then we must agree to disagree because allowing the power to be on and off at will is Munchkin to me.

Feel free to have whatever opinion you want about how the rules are written (though I find the idea that the rule is "munchkin" to be ludicrous when there are so many character options that can be MDC with supernatural strength all the time with no expenditure of any resources), but that opinion doesn't change the fact that the rules as written are the rules.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

And as written the power runs it's duration
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:And as written the power runs it's duration
Unless the psychic chooses to end it early, as written on Psyscape pages 33-34.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

dreicunan wrote:

And that's a great Houserule
dreicunan
Hero

say652 wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

And that's a great Houserule

The rules in World Book #12, Psyscape, are house rules?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What other official publications of Palladium books do you consider to be full of house rules (not counting Rifters, of course)?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I stand by the unique ability ruling. As written it runs it's duration
dreicunan
Hero

Selectively ignoring the rules is making house rules. As written, it can be cancelled at will, per Psyscape pages 33-34.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Not according to the power description
dreicunan
Hero

You keep saying that, and you continue to ignore the rule in Psyscape. Plenty of descriptions of psychic powers mention durations. The rule in psyscape make it clear that a psychic does not have to allow the power to run its full duration, but may cancel it at any time. The power doesn't say that it cannot be cancelled; thus, By ruke it can be cancelled.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

It ends when the base is depleted
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

This has gone along far enough.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Rifts®”