Psionic Crystal Armor

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Psionic Crystal Armor

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

DB2-Phase World states that the force field for this armor can be turned on 4 times each 24 hours at no ISP cost to the wearer.

Does it mean it recharges itself every 24 hours or do you have to charge it yourself. The description says you can use 20 ISP to charge it if it has run out of uses and that the same will recharge it, but it never says you have to recharge it any other time.

I guess my point is, does this work just like the Altaran amulet from Atlantis or does it need 80 ISP from the wearer each day? If it recharges on it's own, it is awfully cheap.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Psionic Crystal Armor

Unread post by eliakon »

HarleeKnight wrote:DB2-Phase World states that the force field for this armor can be turned on 4 times each 24 hours at no ISP cost to the wearer.

Does it mean it recharges itself every 24 hours or do you have to charge it yourself. The description says you can use 20 ISP to charge it if it has run out of uses and that the same will recharge it, but it never says you have to recharge it any other time.

I guess my point is, does this work just like the Altaran amulet from Atlantis or does it need 80 ISP from the wearer each day? If it recharges on it's own, it is awfully cheap.

Yes its amazingly cheap.
As you may have noticed the first Phase World book is VERY high power.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

eliakon wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:DB2-Phase World states that the force field for this armor can be turned on 4 times each 24 hours at no ISP cost to the wearer.

Yes its amazingly cheap.
As you may have noticed the first Phase World book is VERY high power.

We ruled that it did not regenerate on its own, but that you could store 80 ISP in it for the shield (and sword). None of the other psi-powered equipment regenerates so I don't know why the power armor should. But that's just my opinion, not canon.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

After reading the text...
The Psion has to charge up the Psionic device before it can be activated. The initial charge costs 20 ISP. (All Durations about the armor's force field are not touched on in the text. )
After the initial charge is used up, then the Psion will have to use 20 ISP per additional activations above the 4/day listed.

flatline's house rule seams to the best idea if you are a numbers person.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

We always used the psychic battery idea. The crystal helmet makes this even more nasty.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Having just reread the armor I say it means yes it recharges every 24 hours. If in the course of 24 hours you use up those 4 charges you can spend the 20 ISP to activate the field for a single use or that same ISP cost can recharge the lattice and give it another 4 uses. But then it will recharge its 4 uses at the start of the next 24 hour cycle.

Which does beg the interesting question of if it recharges its original 4 uses and the lattice has charges left over from the player charging it with their personal ISP does it retain those extra charges or does it reset to 4 charges?
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Since it is effectively giving 20x4 ISP free per day it seems more continuous to say 20 ISP per 6 hours or 1 per 18 minutes until reaching 80 max.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”