Psionic implants in a full Conversion cyborg.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Psionic implants in a full Conversion cyborg.

Unread post by say652 »

Could a full Conversion cyborg be made Psionic with four Psionic implants added?
Using the Delphi helm four number five gives a ppe pool.
The psi helm cuts isp cost in half.

Forums help me build A Psionic Full Conversion cyborg upgrade.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Psionic implants in a full Conversion cyborg.

Unread post by eliakon »

You would need something to get around the penalty for having cybernetics/bionics.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

say652 wrote:Could a full Conversion cyborg be made Psionic with four Psionic implants added?

Look in Vampire Kingdoms, at "The Amazing Dr. Greymatter," or whatever he's called.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

say652 wrote:Could a full Conversion cyborg be made Psionic with four Psionic implants added?

With the exception of the Mechanoids, you can not make a Full Conversion Cyborg have Psionics per the rules in this scenerio. While the implants can grant psionic powers, text in the full conversion stats mentions that psionics appear to be connects to both the mind and body (and the body is something the FCB gave up).

The ONLY way that MIGHT work is to use a Psymbiote (WB12 pg105-8), or do a Full Bio-Borg Conversion. A full tech based Borg conversion would be out per the rules.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I recommend playing a game where this concept isn't specifically forbidden.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I made partial conversion Burster and mind melters in the past and the results were extremely underwhelming.

Something like a Cyborg Shock Trooper with similar Psionic abilities and complementing Bionic systems would definitely be the direction I want to go.

The Telenental Controls piloting option or TI robot is also An option.

I'm spitballing ideas to find one that's balanced and functional.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I would point you to mind works. Take a look at the stock borgs from there.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I have, the full Conversion insane mind melter as well.

So far.

80Sip pool.
1/2 cost to activate Psionic systems.
Telemental Controls.

Leaving 1 Psionic ability combat slot open.
To be under the four implants changing occ rule.
Sort of.

In this case an Eruptor Implant. Burster abilities 1-4.

Fire bug conversion Package.

Full Bionic Head 80Mdc.
Two eye systems.
Two ear systems.
One mouth weapon.

Delphi system.
Psi helm system.
Telemental Controls.
Eruptor Implant granting Burster abilities 1,2,3,4.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Didn't mind-works lady do this with null cyborg?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Mouser13 wrote:Didn't mind-works lady do this with null cyborg?

Per SB3, p37 null psyborgs are partial conversions.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I've been working on psychic cyborgs but I can tell you, you have to have a lot of chemical, genetic, and neural mindbuggery to get around it.
The problem is amping up what little remains of a cyborg's psionic abilities after conversion to be even perceptible, let alone usable, so I've been trying to use psi-cola-style infusion systems in the cyborg life support, combined with psylite amplifiers, to bring the psionics up to viable levels. Of course, the problems are multiple, because you've got to add extra computing ability to manage the abnormal brain chemistry, and cushion the crash after amping, and you get nowhere near what you might get with a natural-born master psychic or even a HU-style eugenic artificial psychic. Still, having a full-conversion cyborg who can read minds or has extra psychic perceptions, or even an inkling of telekinetic ability, can be a major plus.
...Provided the Mechanoids don't learn of your achievement, in which case I'd say they'd automatically brand you an Enemy and come to kill you and everything around you, like Splugorth coming after anybody who's figured out how to replicate the secrets of rune weaponry.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My idea is a Psionic built in weapon system Accessed by the Telemental Controls used by the pilot.
taalismn
Priest

Sounds like you still need your biological core to have some psionics to trigger your more powerful weapons system....That's either PsiMechanics usable by others, or some psi-emulating technowizardry right there.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

taalismn wrote:Sounds like you still need your biological core to have some psionics to trigger your more powerful weapons system....That's either PsiMechanics usable by others, or some psi-emulating technowizardry right there.

Amaki Gizmos are way way better actually.

My system is a basic Psionic interface that can activate the onboard systems.
Not additional techno wizard item's, which cyborgs cannot use.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

taalismn wrote:I've been working on psychic cyborgs but I can tell you, you have to have a lot of chemical, genetic, and neural mindbuggery to get around it.
The problem is amping up what little remains of a cyborg's psionic abilities after conversion to be even perceptible, let alone usable, so I've been trying to use psi-cola-style infusion systems in the cyborg life support, combined with psylite amplifiers, to bring the psionics up to viable levels. Of course, the problems are multiple, because you've got to add extra computing ability to manage the abnormal brain chemistry, and cushion the crash after amping, and you get nowhere near what you might get with a natural-born master psychic or even a HU-style eugenic artificial psychic. Still, having a full-conversion cyborg who can read minds or has extra psychic perceptions, or even an inkling of telekinetic ability, can be a major plus.
...Provided the Mechanoids don't learn of your achievement, in which case I'd say they'd automatically brand you an Enemy and come to kill you and everything around you, like Splugorth coming after anybody who's figured out how to replicate the secrets of rune weaponry.

What about using symbiotes (like the one in WB12 Psycape) that grant psychic abilities to the host, or even a Splurgoth Tech Borg w/Bio-Borg enhancements? Would that work out to a FCB with psychic abilities or not?

say652 wrote:My system is a basic Psionic interface that can activate the onboard systems.
Not additional techno wizard item's, which cyborgs cannot use.

Cyborgs can use TW items, the TW item just need to be designed to be used by non-mages or non-psychics. It also likely requires a PPE storage option since the FCB is likely to not have the PPE for much of anything for long if at all.

There are TW Bionics in a few places:
-Canada (WB20) usable by partial borgs,
-a case of at least one TW FCB Borg in canon (found in SB1 adventure) that I can think of
-The South American Anti-Monster TW Borg (WB6), though is not typical TWdry
-in SoT6 that is a TW Borg, text isn't clear if it is partial or full, though I know the head was replaced
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I've checked all available source material, they all are limited to by the fact Full Bionic Conversion destroys isp and severely reduces ppe.

I'm trying to take a normal human,Borg'em up and add a Psionic weapon system.

The above listed Bionic Head with Psionic weapon system is actually legit as long as its not added to a Full Conversion Cyborg.
taalismn
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:
taalismn wrote:I've been working on psychic cyborgs but I can tell you, you have to have a lot of chemical, genetic, and neural mindbuggery to get around it.

What about using symbiotes (like the one in WB12 Psycape) that grant psychic abilities to the host, or even a Splurgoth Tech Borg w/Bio-Borg enhancements? Would that work out to a FCB with psychic abilities or not?

Heroes Unlimited Powers 2 also has charts for creating symbiotes.
Yes, it's entirely possible if there's enough of the 'borg still organic enough to attract and sustain the symbiote, and it's a clever dodge, since it's the symbiote and not the person who's got the psionics. The host is simply directing the symbiote in what powers ti use and when.
Thanks, I just may use this in a second psi-borg class.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I checked the Symbiote category, also the Super Soldier category can be used to create a Latent Psionic with Super Soldier Bionic implants.

But!!

That doesn't give me the Mdc programmable Psionic Soldiers I'm trying for.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Could you use "Mentally Possess Others" to somehow inhabit a cyborg's brain? Duration would be a problem though and your psi probably wouldn't come along for the ride.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

say652 wrote:I checked the Symbiote category, also the Super Soldier category can be used to create a Latent Psionic with Super Soldier Bionic implants.

But!!

That doesn't give me the Mdc programmable Psionic Soldiers I'm trying for.

Then you have a few options, though you might have to modify/tweak your concept slightly to get something approaching what you want:
-Bio-Borgs instead of Tech-based borgs
-Partial Borgs with brain/psionic implants (WB12, WB20, SB3)
-combine Bio-Borg options with Tech-Borg in a Partial Conversion Borg of each, possibly with targeted implants
-create a Mechanoid-clone practically
-allow a FCB to be host to a Psymbiote
-Use a Fairie Bot setup (small organic pilot in robot vehicle, said pilot could be dependent on their vehicle/PA to get around as another PW race does IIRC)
-skip the Cyborg body and go Robot Body w/transferred intelligence (SB1 rules allow retaining psychic abilities)
-use Genetic Engineering to create an MDC creature w/psionics. This is a Bio-Tech option.
-Look for (or create) implants that duplicate Psychic Power Effects, but are not actual Psychic/Magic Powers. Depending on your assumed tech base this could be done to varying degrees of ease with various powers as a model.

Axelmania wrote:Could you use "Mentally Possess Others" to somehow inhabit a cyborg's brain? Duration would be a problem though and your psi probably wouldn't come along for the ride.

Doesn't the FCB get bonuses to save in this situation? What might be easier is to have a robot body that you posses/transfer into, since the FCB would require a "host" (who IIRC might be difficult to access, unlike a Bot/TI).

I don't see why the powers would not go along with the possession, though some might not be valid. This is based on Astral Projection Power and the Transferred Intelligence option for the 'bot RCC.

Return to “Rifts®”