Costs for repairing vehicles

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Costs for repairing vehicles

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Hi All. Next question: how much does it cost to repair M.D.C. damage to vehicles? I have found rules for repairing armour, power armour and giant robots, but not vehicles. Anyone know where they are? The nearest equivalent I guess would be the robots, but they are SO expensive - I presume that the exterior of vehicles would be simpler to repair and should be cheaper. Any ideas? Thanks.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Costs for repairing vehicles

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You'll have to classify vehicles as heavy and medium, then light. Use robot, power armor and body armor as your comparisons.

Tank and full size air craft/boats are like a robot.
Light apc is like power armor. Same with things like sky cycles/rocket bikes, mid size motor boats and helicopters.
Cars, buggies and motor cycles like body armor.

That's my suggestion.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Soldier of Od
Hero

Thanks for the suggestion.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The level 5 spell Mend the Broken will repair MDC at a cost of 10 PPE + 30 PPE / MDC repaired.

Next time you're on a ley line, crank out a stack of MtB scrolls that repair 10 MDC when read. Keep it in a safe place.

If your group uses the RUE technowizard creation rules, a TW MtB device is relatively cheap to create and pays for itself the first time you use it.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Soldier of Od
Hero

flatline wrote:The level 5 spell Mend the Broken will repair MDC at a cost of 10 PPE + 30 PPE / MDC repaired.

Next time you're on a ley line, crank out a stack of MtB scrolls that repair 10 MDC when read. Keep it in a safe place.

If your group uses the RUE technowizard creation rules, a TW MtB device is relatively cheap to create and pays for itself the first time you use it.

Actually I recently tried to make a TW mend the broken device. Because the spell is so expensive in P.P.E. to use, it cost me 317,500 credits to make a device with enough P.P.E. storage (350) to repair a measly 10 M.D.C.!
Rifter Contributor:
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Soldier of Od wrote:
flatline wrote:The level 5 spell Mend the Broken will repair MDC at a cost of 10 PPE + 30 PPE / MDC repaired.

Actually I recently tried to make a TW mend the broken device. Because the spell is so expensive in P.P.E. to use, it cost me 317,500 credits to make a device with enough P.P.E. storage (350) to repair a measly 10 M.D.C.!

Don't add PPE storage. Just reduce the activation cost so that you repair multiple MDC per PPE. My proof of concept design repaired 200 MDC per PPE. The "gem" required is pretty cheap which makes this easy to do.

Of course, this assumes that you use the made-to-be-abused RUE TW creation rules (I don't).
Last edited by flatline on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

If you can find a copy of the RIFTS GM Reference Screen there is a panel that has the costs for repairing MDC on armor, power armor, robots and vehicles.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Soldier of Od
Hero

Devjannz wrote:If you can find a copy of the RIFTS GM Reference Screen there is a panel that has the costs for repairing MDC on armor, power armor, robots and vehicles.

Thanks, Devjannz, but the GM screen doesn't include repair to normal vehicles; only body armour, power armour and robot vehicles.
Rifter Contributor:
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Soldier of Od wrote:
Devjannz wrote:If you can find a copy of the RIFTS GM Reference Screen there is a panel that has the costs for repairing MDC on armor, power armor, robots and vehicles.

Thanks, Devjannz, but the GM screen doesn't include repair to normal vehicles; only body armour, power armour and robot vehicles.

True but I would say that Military Vehicles (APC's, etc) would still be about the same as Robot Vehicles and Civilian Vehicles (Big Boss, etc) would be about the same as Power Armor.

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Devjannz wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

True but I would say that Military Vehicles (APC's, etc) would still be about the same as Robot Vehicles and Civilian Vehicles (Big Boss, etc) would be about the same as Power Armor.

can't imagine why. it's gotta be a heck of a lot easier to design; there's a lot fewer places that need to move, and they generally only have to move in one specific way unless we're talking about an actual ball turret. furthermore, there are far fewer systems built-in to every vehicle. if anything, i'd expect lower than (environmental) body armour prices.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Shark_Force wrote:
Devjannz wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

can't imagine why. it's gotta be a heck of a lot easier to design; there's a lot fewer places that need to move, and they generally only have to move in one specific way unless we're talking about an actual ball turret. furthermore, there are far fewer systems built-in to every vehicle. if anything, i'd expect lower than (environmental) body armour prices.

But most of the costs are still in armor grade materials. The suspension of a modern tank is damn finicky so isn't much worse than the repairs to legs. Plus since robots and PAs are so common the specialty shop that has time to fix your vehicle might be booked solid for months. Yes the prices seem absurd. However consider that the economy is basically a gold rush economy. If you want to make money be the supplier of goods and services.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Nox Equites wrote:But most of the costs are still in armor grade materials. The suspension of a modern tank is damn finicky so isn't much worse than the repairs to legs. Plus since robots and PAs are so common the specialty shop that has time to fix your vehicle might be booked solid for months. Yes the prices seem absurd. However consider that the economy is basically a gold rush economy. If you want to make money be the supplier of goods and services.

That is definately the way to go. My ex-wife was playing a GrackleTooth Operator who had a Mobile Repair Business that she operated (based on a Salvaged Triax Repair Barge). She got lots of work and made some good money. ;)

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Nox Equites wrote:
But most of the costs are still in armor grade materials. The suspension of a modern tank is damn finicky so isn't much worse than the repairs to legs. Plus since robots and PAs are so common the specialty shop that has time to fix your vehicle might be booked solid for months. Yes the prices seem absurd. However consider that the economy is basically a gold rush economy. If you want to make money be the supplier of goods and services.

a modern tank doesn't have all the weight piled on top of two comparatively tiny support struts. you think a tank's suspension is finnicky, imagine a tank on stilts. stilts that typically have to be able to bend, and have machinery inside to control all of that. machinery which is undoubtedly more complicated than the machinery used for wheels, because a lack of all that machinery is what makes regular vehicles less expensive in the first place.

i'm not saying vehicle armour should be nearly free or anything. but it should be a heck of a lot cheaper than robot vehicle armour, and since it doesn't even have to be airtight nor does it need to be made out of ultralightweight materials like an environmental body armour, it is most likely less expensive than that.

as far as "specialty shops" being required to repair it, i will refer you to the skills in the game. the robotics repair skills are much much less commonly available than vehicle skills, and have harder requirements to learn. almost any OCC can learn basic mechanics and automotive mechanics, very few can learn how to repair robot vehicles.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Vehicle armor can be very cheap, sure. It doesn't even have to be MDC...
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

20,000 credits to add 10 MDC (two thousand per MDC) to a vehicle (or giant robot) on Rifts Mercenaries page 98.

10,000 credits to add 30 MDC (one thousand per 3 MDC) to The Mountaineer A.T.V. on Rifts page 227, Ultimate Edition page 267.

18,000 credits to repair 4D6 MDC three times (six thousand per application) on Mercs Ops page 117 but maximum 24.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd go with a relatively flat number per category, with ground vehicles being cheapest, hover vehicles being cheaper than robot vehicles, and robot vehicles being cheaper than power armor on a per MDC basis.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”