Longest possible ranges?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Longest possible ranges?

Unread post by Tor »

Range may not be as important if you can move at sonic speeds to quickly close a distance, or teleport to an opponent, or open a portal to them, but it's not totally the same thing as a long-distance attack since these examples put you at risk of counter-attacks.

There's of course robots with medium-range (is anything in HU even LRM capable? feels a lot like RMB where they give stats but nothing capable of launching...) missiles, but those have the problem of possibly being shot down, not to mention their expense. The .50 caliber machinegun (6k) or laser cannon (3k) are pretty impressive though.

I'm looking more in the realm of super powers. Who are the range kings?

I think a leading candidate would be someone using Alter Limbs to form a sniper rifle, or Weapon Melding to bond with one. In either case you can make your own ammo so as long as you have the time for healing (easy enough with a regen power) the payload can be effectively unlimited with good HP management.

I don't recall if HU2 went into the ranges of rifles but I remember there was a sniper rifle in nightbane with over 4000 foot range, far better than any Energy Expulsion stuff I've seen.

Is there any power combo which can rival a 4000 ft sniping rifle for EE or otherwise?

I thought of this...

Mega-Hero (HU2p181) = x1.5
Alter Limbs (HU2p239 major) = x1.5
Solar Powered (PU1p41 minor) = x1.5
Life Leech (PU3p74 major) = x1.3

combined multiplier = 4.3875

as a base, use the Laser Beam from APS Light (PU1p54 major) and at level 1 you surpass 3000 feet. You'd need to be 4th level to exceed 4000 though.

Also I'm not sure you can stack Alter Limbs and APS Light since they're both APS powers (HU2p74, even though NPCs have ignord this) in which case you'd have to substitute Super Energy Expulsion which has inferior range.

Needing to use life leech for a range boost is also kind of inconvenient if you want to operate alone.

Am I missing some other combo that might rank this up there a bit?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Longest possible ranges?

Unread post by say652 »

Aps Electricity + Megahero.
Electric Flight 1D4×10 damage 1.5 mile range.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Electric Flight is cool but the problem with that is it doesn't seem like a true ranged attack since in doing it, you actually close the distance to your opponent, putting yourself at risk. It's more of a high-speed body block like what you might do with sonic speed/flight cept with energy damage.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Dakchronos
Wanderer

Unread post by Dakchronos »

If you wanna look in the Rifter 37 for the expanded Mega Hero options, there is a Mega Power called Power Specialization. It doubles the damage, range, and effects of 1 major or 3 minors.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

You are also impervious to damage using electric flight.

So a mile and half attack you can't be hurt using
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Not using, but wouldn't you be stuck in HtH range after it's done? Or could you say, start from 0.75 miles out and E-Flight THROUGH the opponent so that you end up the same distance away as it's done after doing damage?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I gm it as a high-speed ram for PowerSurge, flight is zoom and fall not constant.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”