Kevin Siembieda Panel Talks...

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Kevin Siembieda Panel Talks...

Unread post by NMI »

What would you like to hear Kevin Siembieda and crew talk about?
What would you like to hear from the various Freelancer Writers and Artists?

We would like to get your feedback as soon as possible in order to work the Panel Talks into the Open House schedule.

By the end of January, first week of February, we will then take your suggestions and work with Palladium to get some of the top requests scheduled.

Please keep your responses clean and constructive and within the forum rules.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Kevin Siembieda Panel Talks...

Unread post by Warshield73 »

From Kevin I would like to have a good Q&A about the Palladium system itself. Why did he make the choices he did concerning alignment, attributes, etc. Give people a chance to have a discussion about how he thinks it should work.

From the writers it would be good to hear about the projects they want to do or are working on, if that is possible.

MA discussion panels or maybe even some working groups to discuss how we can make our convention games better.

Some GM panels with people like KS, Julius Rosenstein, and Carl Gleba.

Just my 2 cents.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Want a Q&A session most of all, with Kevin, Wayne, and as many writers as possible.

Chuck, Braden, and others for Splicers.

Carl Gleba for the Minion War Series.

RRT with Burke, Wayne, and Kevin.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I'd rather see what Kevin and the various writers are willing to spend the time in a panel to talk about, then let you know how interested I am in those topics.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
zyanitevp
Champion

Glistam wrote:I'd rather see what Kevin and the various writers are willing to spend the time in a panel to talk about, then let you know how interested I am in those topics.

Kevin himself asked NMI to create this topic, to see what people wanted!
My Twitter
Image Image
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'm just going to throw out some random ideas ...

1: Q&A session (as many have already said). In fact, this is probably such a big one, it may need more than one panel slot. Like a Q&A 1 on Friday, and a Q&A2 on Saturday.

2: System panels. Not sure how well this would work but ... maybe like a panel dedicated to Rifts, and one dedicated to PF (my personal favorite). Some of the big names for those lines (including freelancers) can be there. Give some general thoughts on the setting, what's already been established, future plans, etc. While topics on this could fit into various other panels, a dedicated panel (such as one to only PF) makes me want to drool at the thought. Note: If there was a PF one, I think some added info/new stories on the Defilers might be a really nice treat.

3: Creative panels. A panel dedicated to writing and another for art. A few general tips on writing, a few things Palladium are specifically looking for, good ways to get started and/or noticed, etc. These have been done in the past (and they probably won't do me much good personally as I've attended the previous ones), but always a good topic. Not sure how well art would translate into a panel talk (I'm not an artsy guy myself), but I don't want to leave the artists out like they don't matter either (because they're an important part of any project!). The artist panel might even have a few sketches shown during it for upcoming projects.

4: RRT panel. I'll be honest, I have ZERO interest in this myself. However, with the game just coming out, I'm guessing this will be a hot topic (I could be wrong?). You can talk about the start of the idea, the building process, some of the things you've learned from the experience, future plans, etc. Let the fans get a real good feel for what's going on.

That's it for now. I'm mostly just spitballing, but figure some of these might be good ideas (or at least spark a different idea). Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

What would you like to hear Kevin Siembieda and crew talk about?

Kevin - Just put him in throne like Santa Claus, and stand NMI next to him in an elf suit. :) Everybody gets a picture taken with Kevin and gets 1 minute to chat with him. 300 attendees / assume 40 per hour / 8 hours over the 3 days of Santa Kevin. But make it a really cool throne like on Game of Thrones.

Wayne - Future of the Rifter. What has been lacking? What does he want to see more? Get some back and forth with subscribers at the panel. AKA, what can Wayne do to make the Rifter better? What does Wayne need from YOU to make it better?

Alex - Share what PB learned about Kickstarter and how PB will implement the lessons in the future. Not a Poop-On-Palladium session, but a discussion of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and how and why the next one will be better.

Julius - Detroit Gaming Center, pre-Palladium RPGing, earliest days of the hobby stories, and behind the scenes shop gossip!

What would you like to hear from the various Freelancer Writers and Artists?

Artists should be shackled to tables and forced to draw for three days straight. Sleep deprivation will increase creativity (just ask Kevin). Food and potty breaks dependent on quality of work flow. :)

For me, the best use of Authors is to have them run games using the books they have written. Best direct interaction between Fans and Author and Author's work. I've really enjoyed Carl Gleba's Minion War events. I'd love to play Chaos Earth with Jason Richards and a Shemarrian adventure with Josh Sinsapaugh. Experiencing the game worlds through their creations through their voice would be tremendous fun.

As for RTT, skip the panels. Do lots and lots of short demos. AKA, give us 1 hour and you play a short battle. The more people play the game, the more they might like it. It's the "pet the puppy" sales method.
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

1) Kevin talking about "releasing some game lines like SPLICERS to the Freelancers and see what they can do with it?". I will personally crowd fund this kind of endeavor as much as I can.

2) Kevin talking about the future of the Federation of Magic: is there going to be a FoM 2?, are we going to see a new conflict with the CS?.

3) Greg talking about the New Navy and everything "Underseas".

4) Kevin talking about "are we going to see new books with a new modern layout, color panels, etc.?". I love the classics but I think it is time for a change.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

NMI wrote:What would you like to hear Kevin Siembieda and crew talk about?

I agree with #1 and #2 of what Prysus posted. I feel like I have a lot of questions, but none of them are really "panel worthy," so I think the Q&A panel(s) and game specific panels are good ideas.

I think it comes across in the writing how passionate Kevin is for the stuff that's in Palladium's queue, so perhaps a panel talking about the stuff that he's been meaning to get out but keeps pushing off? Fans have been waiting a long time for some stuff, maybe a panel (or bringing it up in a specific game panel instead) talking about what these books will have might re-ignite some fan passion for these books again, especially in those who might have lost interest (or hope).

I don't know if there'd be interest in watching Kevin run a game in a panel with some of the other Palladium game folks, but I know some other conventions have people do this with success, and it might be an interesting way for folks to see how Kevin runs his games first-hand. Especially if they aren't able to get to be a player in one of his games.

NMI wrote:What would you like to hear from the various Freelancer Writers and Artists?

I don't know, really. My main hope is to just meet a few of them. I largely agree with Prysus' ideas here. I also agree with something Spinachat said - having the various book authors run a game (or more) set in the settings they've written for would be very cool.

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

zyanitevp wrote:Want a Q&A session most of all, with Kevin, Wayne, and as many writers as possible.

Chuck, Braden, and others for Splicers.

Carl Gleba for the Minion War Series.

RRT with Burke, Wayne, and Kevin.

I agree with this (Though its Brandon. Braden Campbell has written some Phase World material and some great Wormwood stuff in the Rifter. He's significantly more dashing than I am.)
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. I'm just going to throw out some random ideas ...

1: Q&A session (as many have already said). In fact, this is probably such a big one, it may need more than one panel slot. Like a Q&A 1 on Friday, and a Q&A2 on Saturday.

2: System panels. Not sure how well this would work but ... maybe like a panel dedicated to Rifts, and one dedicated to PF (my personal favorite). Some of the big names for those lines (including freelancers) can be there. Give some general thoughts on the setting, what's already been established, future plans, etc. While topics on this could fit into various other panels, a dedicated panel (such as one to only PF) makes me want to drool at the thought. Note: If there was a PF one, I think some added info/new stories on the Defilers might be a really nice treat.

3: Creative panels. A panel dedicated to writing and another for art. A few general tips on writing, a few things Palladium are specifically looking for, good ways to get started and/or noticed, etc. These have been done in the past (and they probably won't do me much good personally as I've attended the previous ones), but always a good topic. Not sure how well art would translate into a panel talk (I'm not an artsy guy myself), but I don't want to leave the artists out like they don't matter either (because they're an important part of any project!). The artist panel might even have a few sketches shown during it for upcoming projects.

4: RRT panel. I'll be honest, I have ZERO interest in this myself. However, with the game just coming out, I'm guessing this will be a hot topic (I could be wrong?). You can talk about the start of the idea, the building process, some of the things you've learned from the experience, future plans, etc. Let the fans get a real good feel for what's going on.

That's it for now. I'm mostly just spitballing, but figure some of these might be good ideas (or at least spark a different idea). Farewell and safe journeys for now.

I agree. I'd like nothing better than to sit down with people and describe the process of how to get your
writing good enough to make it to the Rifter and after several trial and errors make it into a published
manuscript. Way back when that's what I always wanted to hear from the freelancers. I'm more than
willing to share. Of course, if you want to learn to be a master G.M. you don't need to listen to Kevin tell
you how, all you have to do is watch him run one of his games and see him in action. That's what I hope
to do this year at the Open House.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I would love to hear two things:

#1 If Thom Bartold is going to be there I would love to listen to them reminisce about the Defilers campaign(s)

#2 With the recent spats of illness issues and news of loved ones passing it got me thinking about our own mortality. Not to be morbid but I would love to hear of even any potential succession plans should the Publisher Guy be forced to release the helm (may that be a long, long time to come).
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion

This topic is closing on the 25th- get your suggestions in!!
My Twitter
Image Image
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I'd like to know what's in the works for future Palladium Fantasy books, like if there'll be an Old Kingdoms book, Land of the South Winds, ect. Any details on those would be kewl.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Jerell wrote:I'd like to know what's in the works for future Palladium Fantasy books, like if there'll be an Old Kingdoms book, Land of the South Winds, ect. Any details on those would be kewl.

Greetings and Salutations. For the record, I'll be there and happy to contribute to this (if desired/requested). Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

In addition to my previous post...

• Tell Me a Story...
    I believe there's been interest expressed in learning more about the infamous Defilers campaign. This could be a good opportunity to finally get their story told.
  • It's Everybody's Game, not Just Kevin's...
    Perhaps a panel in which Kevin discusses what changes he's made over the years to the game lines and the game rules. How does he decide when something needs to be changed or addressed? How did these things get brought to his attention? Any notable changes which have come from the various writers?
  • ...But Mostly, It's Kevin's Game
    Discuss some of the projects which started but petered out over the years. What are the factors and decisions which go into "shelving" a potential book - especially after advertising it? How can this be prevented with future submissions? Is there a way fans can get "shelved" books or projects resurrected?
  • Where There's a Will, There's a Way
    What does the future hold for Palladium Books, and how is Kevin forging the company into that future? What things might change? What might stay the same? What are the challenges Palladium faces in keeping their game lines compelling to modern gamers? How are they working to overcome them?

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Wasn't there some sort of secret project in the works? Would whatever that is be something worth talking about?

FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

A few people have touched on it and I asked this very question at the last Open House and didn't feel a confident answer was given:

"Kevin, tomorrow you are hit by a bus, what happens to Palladium?"

It is a bit self-entitled but many of the Palladium fans feel someone like stock holders of Palladium. Sure we don't own actual stock, but there are a lot of players who buy almost every book that comes out from Palladium. Loving the soul of the game, in essence loving Kevin. My personal fear is that legally speaking should something to Kevin the wheels would not only fall off, but things would come to screaming halt. I want to know there is a legal plan in place, that the contracts, licences, and various titles won't vanish over night.

So...

"Kevin, tomorrow you are hit by a bus, what happens to Palladium?" That is my only real question...

The unreal one, "Kevin, an we please get a true 2nd edition with an updated and real revision to the Palladium system. :)"
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

How about talking a bit about computer games, and specifically Rifts: Promise of Power? What would it take to get that game re-released on newer devices? What would it take to get new games made? Is there anything the fans can do to make either of these things happen?

Unless this was already discussed to death at a previous Open House, of course.

Return to “Palladium Open House”