Rifts Video Game by Bethesda

For talk about the award-winning videogame for Nokia's handheld device, the N-Gage!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Rifts Video Game by Bethesda

Unread post by dragonfett »

I propose that the next video game made set in the Rifts setting be made by Bethesda, you know, the people who brought us the Elder Scrolls series, and Fallout 3. Well besides working on Fallout: New Vegas, they are also working on a game called Brink. Videos for the game can be see on their Facebook page here, http://www.facebook.com/brinkthegame#!/ ... 2392950137.

Now you're probably asking yourself "Why bring this up at all?" Just think about it this way after watching those videos. Imagine if you will a CS Juicer running around a battlefield, jumping on top of enemy power armors and robot vehicles, placing satchel charges on them, the world moving slowly as they out run deer. Stuff like that. And when it comes to making quality Role-Playing Video Games, Bethesda is top notch, all the way around. If anyone could do this, it would be them. I would love to here what you guys think.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
jarlaxle
Explorer
Comment: Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to write them on a $20 bil and send them to me.

Re: Rifts Video Game by Bethesda

Unread post by jarlaxle »

He is right bethesda games rocks if you look at fall out 3 you hae a post apocalyptic setting very much similar to rifts earth in many ways. They also have great ai to be sure that baddies arent in same spot each time, or act same each time.
I support Hades in the minion war
They say life is short, but it is the longest thing you will do
Characters:
Rachel Riftrider
Story Logs:
Time Marshalls: Agent Riftrider
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

The problem is that Bethesda already did a Rifts like game. It is called Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It is so close in genre that I doubt they would do Rifts. Only thing different is that Rifts has magic.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Bethesda actually is a fairly good production house. I think they could do a Rifts game justice.

Lukterran points out that they already did a game like first, Fallout. (Wasteland, Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 Las Vegas). I don't know if I agree or not with this description. The Fallout series of games are set in a post-apocalyptic world but one where mankind really hasn't rebuilt. Yes there are mutants, but not true monsters which are from another dimension and want to take over the world. I love the whole Fallout game line, and have played them all (ouch, dated myself there). They have their own feel and the world has its own feel.

I think a great production company like Bethesda could do an amazing Rifts RPG video game. Of course, they would have to overcome all of the legal hurdles to get there. But we are all dreaming right now, right? So why not shoot for the mars, if you miss at least you land on the moon!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I am just saying that they already have experience with both the fantasy and science-fiction/post-apocalypse genres.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Question: why would Bethesda be interested? I'm not really sure how you'd go about pitching the idea of a big budget videogame costing tens of millions of dollars based on a tabletop RPG that was kinda big in the 90s.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Rallan wrote:Question: why would Bethesda be interested? I'm not really sure how you'd go about pitching the idea of a big budget videogame costing tens of millions of dollars based on a tabletop RPG that was kinda big in the 90s.

For the same reason JB keeps buying the movie rights every your for the last 10 years, they might see potential in the IP to draw players that never even heard of the tabletop game.

I agree though, very tough sell.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Rifts probably doesn't look like it's got as much potential as it did when the film rights were optioned for the first time. It's not on the brink of being as big as it was in the 90s, and its fan base has gradually been getting smaller and smaller. And instead of being a property that was kinda big with a subset of SF geeks pretty recently, it's now a property that was kinda big with a subset of SF geeks two decades ago. And the whole "mecha vs magic" premise isn't even an interesting hook any more because genre-bending mashups have become incredibly common.

So while Bruckheimer keeps renewing the film rights because it seemed like a good "what if" idea when he bought them, I can't really see anyone walking onto the scene with a fresh set of eyes and thinking it would be a good idea to buy the videogame rights to a 90s RPG that has never had any visible presence in any other media (I mean it's occasionally tried to break into other media, but nobody except Rifts fans ever noticed).

Return to “Rifts® Promise of Power™”