To brush, or not to brush?

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jerell
Hero

To brush, or not to brush?

Unread post by Jerell »

I've been building model since I was a kid. I started out on 1/1700 scale WW2 ships, then went on to 1/72 planes, then to 1/72 armor. Then WH and WH40k. I've always used brushes for everything. As the release gets closer, I can't help but think I'd like to try my hand with an airbrush. Was thinking about getting an entry level, and maybe going with Vallejo acrylics for airbrush. I've brushed with enamel and acrylic, I much prefer acrylic for brush so I was planning on sticking with acrylic. I've heard Tamiya can sometimes get a little gritty with airbrush do to the way it dries...

Does anyone have experience with airbrushes? If there is I'd like to hear your opinion on airbrushes and type and brand of paint.

On the one hand, I've gotten pretty good with a brush and am confident with it, on the other I'm very intrigued to see what I might be able to get out of an airbrush. :bandit:
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: To brush, or not to brush?

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Jerell wrote:Does anyone have experience with airbrushes? If there is I'd like to hear your opinion on airbrushes and type and brand of paint.

Eh... I do. I've been doing the WH40K thing for close on twelve years now, and I've found airbrushes just about useless for anything beyond layering the whole model before detail painting. They're great for large models but have very limited utility for miniatures... at least in my own experience.

My brother, who got into WH40K a few months before I did, has had much the same experience but found using an airbrush was great for certain color effects and particularly for making models look weathered and "battlefield dirty".
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Thanks for the info gents.

If I was looking at the $50 Master Airbrush Model VC16-B22, would that be wise for entry level, or is that a total waste (like buying first production runs of 'fine cast' :lol: )? Thing is I'm not sure I want to commit to more before I know if I'll like it, or continue to use it...
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Jerell wrote:If I was looking at the $50 Master Airbrush Model VC16-B22, would that be wise for entry level, or is that a total waste (like buying first production runs of 'fine cast' :lol: )? Thing is I'm not sure I want to commit to more before I know if I'll like it, or continue to use it...

To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with airbrush models (as I don't use the one I have all that much), so I can't be of much help there... I use one of the Citadel Pro ones.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I've worked on 1/72 scale models most of my life. I predominately use spray paint for the majority of the model, and then use bottle paints for some details. One trick I have used for camouflage patters and touch up work is to spray some of the spray paint into a plastic paint tray and use a brush (or toothpick) to apply the paint.

I too have thought about going the airbrush route for the rtt minis, but I'm on the fence.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Jerell wrote:I've been building model since I was a kid. I started out on 1/1700 scale WW2 ships, then went on to 1/72 planes, then to 1/72 armor. Then WH and WH40k. I've always used brushes for everything. As the release gets closer, I can't help but think I'd like to try my hand with an airbrush. Was thinking about getting an entry level, and maybe going with Vallejo acrylics for airbrush. I've brushed with enamel and acrylic, I much prefer acrylic for brush so I was planning on sticking with acrylic. I've heard Tamiya can sometimes get a little gritty with airbrush do to the way it dries...

Does anyone have experience with airbrushes? If there is I'd like to hear your opinion on airbrushes and type and brand of paint.

On the one hand, I've gotten pretty good with a brush and am confident with it, on the other I'm very intrigued to see what I might be able to get out of an airbrush. :bandit:

I've been asking myself the same thing. I'll probably be trying to get an airbrush simply because of the number of models. It will make basecoating a lot easier and thin I'll be doing details with my brush before ink washes.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

sounds about right. 1,000s of pieces sounds like airbrush time to me as well.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Yeah, maybe I should get an entry level model even if it is just for undercoating and base coat. That would probably knock down the time substantially, and I've never liked priming with a brush anyway.
Maximilian Jenius
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Maximilian Jenius »

These are going to be way to small to airbrush unless you are extremely good with the airbrush. I would stick to brushes for detail work.

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”