Rune Bow/ Rune Arrows: Do any exist in canon or Rifters?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Rune Bow/ Rune Arrows: Do any exist in canon or Rifters?

Unread post by Thinyser »

I swear I've seen them someplace but cannot find them. Book (and page if you have it) PLEASE.

EDIT any referance to magic bows or arrows are welcome

NOTE: In my searching I did find the bottomless {not really bottomless} quiver in western empire PFRPG.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: Rune Bow/ Rune Arrows: Do any exist in canon or Rifters?

Found Apollo's "Sun Bow" and Artemis' "Golden Bow" in Pantheons Any others? Rune Arrows? Magic (non-rune) bows/arrows?

Woohoo! found The Arrows of Ith'arian, in Rifter 28. These are what I was thinking of. Still looking for any other examples of rune bows or non-rune magical bows and arrows.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I'm pretty sure Prysus included a Rune Bow in his article in Rifter 52.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Giant2005 wrote:I'm pretty sure Prysus included a Rune Bow in his article in Rifter 52.

Rifter 52? nope not that I found anyhow. Only reference to bows/arrows was as a magic tattoo.

Giant2005
Knight

Thinyser wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:I'm pretty sure Prysus included a Rune Bow in his article in Rifter 52.

Rifter 52? nope not that I found anyhow. Only reference to bows/arrows was as a magic tattoo.

Wrong article, it is the "From Ruins to Runes" article.
I just double-checked and the Bow I was referring to is actually written up as an NPC (Page 81) so it is easy to miss.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Giant2005 wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Wrong article, it is the "From Ruins to Runes" article.
I just double-checked and the Bow I was referring to is actually written up as an NPC (Page 81) so it is easy to miss.

Awesome thanks!

I looked at the Ruins to Runes article but didn't look at NPCs figuring they were beings not weapons. Should have looked at NPCs too :oops:

Giant2005
Knight

For non-Rune but magic Bows, these are all I can think of:
Larhold Bow (SA2),
Jungle Elf/Biomancer bow (SA),
Native American Fetish Bow (Spirit West),
Zen Master Bows (Japan)
and the Immortal's personal weapon (PU2).

For arrows:
Dragon Bone Arrows (PF - Dragons and Gods),
Lightning Arrows (CB1r),
TW Goblin Bombs (Coalition Wars 1),
Cursed Arrows (Dinosaur Swamp),
Scathach-made arrows (England) and
Kuznya-made arrows (Mystic Russia).

That is pretty much all I can think of but there are probably more out there - Alchemist enchanted gear or arrows enchanted with the Enchant Weapon spell are obvious possibilities.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Giant2005 wrote:For non-Rune but magic Bows, these are all I can think of:
Larhold Bow (SA2),
Jungle Elf/Biomancer bow (SA),
Native American Fetish Bow (Spirit West),
Zen Master Bows (Japan)
and the Immortal's personal weapon (PU2).

For arrows:
Dragon Bone Arrows (PF - Dragons and Gods),
Lightning Arrows (CB1r),
TW Goblin Bombs (Coalition Wars 1),
Cursed Arrows (Dinosaur Swamp),
Scathach-made arrows (England) and
Kuznya-made arrows (Mystic Russia).

That is pretty much all I can think of but there are probably more out there - Alchemist enchanted gear or arrows enchanted with the Enchant Weapon spell are obvious possibilities.

Thanks a bunch!

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Thinyser wrote:Found Apollo's "Sun Bow" and Artemis' "Golden Bow" in Pantheons Any others? Rune Arrows? Magic (non-rune) bows/arrows?

Besides Cyclops arrows, Artemis also uses 'Arrows of Slaying' made by Hephaestus which are also used by Ares and Eros (latter has a bow with AMAZING range).

Marduk p43 has a magical bow as well. When you look at it's stats compared to his wind blasts, the flavour text about him using the bow against Tiamat doesn't make much sense to me though. Presumably shooting arrows down someone's mouth gets an unspecified damage multiplier while wind blasts don't get such a multiplier. I assume it has to be x3 or something, since his wind is twice as damaging as his bow and has equal range. Even if he could add his supernatural PS to his bow damage (something even less indicated than with melee weapons) his wind would still be better. Maybe he knows the multi-arrow trick some sharpshooters do?

Then of course there's the standard undead slayer flaming-wing magic arrows (such as Longhair has on p64 which he might share with his Wanderer friend).

Herakles (p69) has a Holy bow, Diaper Angel (p98) has a magic one, Brahma (p123) has a rune bow, Vishnu (p124) has a magic bow, Siva (p127) has a magic bow.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

There is the Zen Master's Bow and Singing Arrows out of Rifts Japan.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you want to look up any magic stuff in the rifters, I made one. Posting it in the M&P forum.

There is a magic bow along with the space magic in one of the early rifters.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If you want to look up any magic stuff in the rifters, I made one. Posting it in the Rifter forum.

Uh where is this list?

And The false cupid (terlin) in Pantheon's has a magic bow.
Grizzly Carter of Rieds Rangers has some magic arrows
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Search function
Author= drewkitty ~..~
Magic and Psi forum
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifter 10, page 92, the section called "Space Magic Items." It's the Comet Bow, on the same page. No searching necessary.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If you want to look up any magic stuff in the rifters, I made one. Posting it in the Rifter forum.

Uh where is this list?

And The false cupid (terlin) in Pantheon's has a magic bow.
Grizzly Carter of Rieds Rangers has some magic arrows

Search function
Author= drewkitty ~..~
Rifter forum

nothing comes up, do you have an actual link? I would be interested in a useable list of magic items, assuming its currentish, and some what searchable
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131372

So the only magic bow in all the Rifters was a TW Crossbow in Rifter #59?

Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Hi all,

I've also toyed with Rune Bows. So in the spirit of sharing, here is my particular creation. Although I intended these to be available on the Palladium Fantasy world, I've intentionally left the damage labels (SDC vs MD) out, as my intention would that the damage is scaled up or down based on the setting they're used in.

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

RUNE BOWS

Rune Bows are made from a single piece of metal, bowstring included, and come in the form of both short and long bows, although the majority of Rune Bows are of the long bow form This seems to suggest that the Rune Bows are a product of ancient Elves before or early on during the onset of the Elf-Dwarf war. Rune Bows cannot be drawn by anyone except the user that it has bonded with, it's creator, or a greater deity. A person that is bonded with a Rune Bow finds that the act of drawing the bowstring completely effortless, yet the released arrow has more than double the force of the mightiest long bow.

Powers of Rune Bows

All the basic rune weapon abilities
Adds damage to all normal arrows +2D6
Adds +30 feet to the effective range, per level of the owner
PPE Base: 2D4x10+50

Lesser Rune Bows have the basic rune weapon abilities
and two abilities from the following list

Greater Rune Bows have the basic rune weapon abilities
and adds 3 abilities from the following list

Greatest Rune Bows have the basic rune weapon abilities
and adds 4 abilities from the following list

Available Special Powers
Adds to Rate of Fire: +2 per melee if the Rune Bow is used exclusively for the entire melee round
Arrows of Demon Slaying: 6D6 to damage, - 25 PPE, lasts 2 melees per level of the owner
Arrows of Dragon/Serpent Slaying: 6D6 damage - 25 PPE, lasts 2 melees per level of the owner
Arrows of Vampire/Undead Slaying: 6D6 damage - 30 PPE, lasts 4 melees per level of the owner, if strike roll is <14, then arrow automatically is a heart-strike and impales the creature with a wooden shaft
Elemental Arrows (Fire, Ice, Lightning, or Stone) - 20 PPE, adds +2D6 damage to the normal arrow damage. Arrows of different elemental type can be summoned, but for an new PPE cost. Lasts 2 melees per level of the owner.
Energy Arrows: 5D6 damage - 25 PPE cost, lasts 4 melees per level of the owner
Creates Unlimited normal arrows - 20 PPE, lasts 20 melees per level of the owner
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I'm not sure if this came from anywhere specific, or if it was made up for the campaign, but one of the NPC's in our current campaign was statted out with this bow: Sigrun Ovar.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”