Spells for Priests?? please help me

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Spells for Priests?? please help me

Unread post by kiralon »

Priests can pick from Wizard spells level 1-3 and get 1 spell starting at level 1 for second ed if I remember correctly

For first ed I play a priest can either have magic that their god can cast and hth non men at arms
or have no spell casting ability and either hth merc, soldier (1 elective) or Thief (1 elective) or knight (2 electives)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Main book page 67, section 7 of the Knowledge and Abilities of the Priest. They get no spells until level three, at which point they get Tongues and one spell of choice from levels 1-3. Upon reaching each subsequent level they get to pick another spell from levels 1-3. Priests of Darkness pick one spell at level three (and at each subsequent level) from the list under their description in the book (page 70).
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

Soldier of od has this correct.

Also, you can look into Rifter 48 pg 80 you'll find some more priest stuff as well.
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

relicandcheese wrote:I came across a curious situation where a player's cleric successfully prayed for knowledge, which enables them to cast any spell that their god knows (@ 6th level, I think?). Unbeknowst to the cleric of Rurga however, Rurga doesn't have any magical spell knowledge what so ever. So I improvised my stuck bottom out of that situation, but it got me thinking... how can a god who doesn't have any spell knowledge bestow any spells on their cleric? (And after glancing through the Dragons and Gods book, there was a surpriseing number of gods who don't have magic spell knowledge.)

And once again the dark side of giving gods stats rears its Ugly Head. :P Seriously if I had to give an answer to the player I would say "Pantheons group together for many reasons, one of which is that they can pool their power. So long as any god in the pantheon knows a spell (including the mooks, ones not just the main players in the books) then any god can grant it."
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

eliakon wrote:
relicandcheese wrote:I came across a curious situation where a player's cleric successfully prayed for knowledge, which enables them to cast any spell that their god knows (@ 6th level, I think?). Unbeknowst to the cleric of Rurga however, Rurga doesn't have any magical spell knowledge what so ever. So I improvised my stuck bottom out of that situation, but it got me thinking... how can a god who doesn't have any spell knowledge bestow any spells on their cleric? (And after glancing through the Dragons and Gods book, there was a surpriseing number of gods who don't have magic spell knowledge.)

And once again the dark side of giving gods stats rears its Ugly Head. :P Seriously if I had to give an answer to the player I would say "Pantheons group together for many reasons, one of which is that they can pool their power. So long as any god in the pantheon knows a spell (including the mooks, ones not just the main players in the books) then any god can grant it."

Agreed. In most cases a priest and his Church worship a pantheon of gods, not one specific god. Even if he has a favourite within that pantheon. The priest is able to choose from any spell that his gods know. Unless you are part of a cult that specifically excludes other gods in the pantheon (such as the Cult of Set and possibly the Cult of the Great One). If you do worship a single god that doesn't have magic then tough luck! Unfortunately it just means that you don't have any spells to draw on. You can only use the prayer of intervention for super healing (though I would personally house rule that you could use the scroll creation aspect of the prayer to create a scroll of any spell the priest knows.)

As a follower of Rurga, your pantheon is limited, but your priest should be able to draw on Lista's elemental spells. Kalba is a special case, but given that the description states he can perform all the usual deific powers, whether he has a body or not, I would say that priests can draw on his knowledge too, even if he can't physically cast a spell himself unless he is possessing a body.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

I was going to say that they could cast the Prototypical Deific Powers of their god, but according to the rules they cannot. I think a god in that case, since the prayer is for knowledge could be used to gain insight instead of spells. Plus, the way I have run it in the past, when my player has rolled successfully I look at the spells and pick one for him. He does suggest one in the prayer but I or his god ultimately pick in the end. For instance the first time they were fighting a demon and he prayer for his god for the spell river of lava. He got that and the demon was killed. However, later - he thought this would work again, but instead his god bestowed upon him Armor of Ithen instead.. The way I have been running it he doesn't have to spend two actions tryin to get the spell and then cast that spell if he gains it. Instead it just happens. The god acts for him.
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

That's one of the reasons I have warrior priests with no magic and a hth style, and magic using priests with a crap hth style.

and do the ones who know warlock spells allow their followers to cast them.
I only allow my players to pick from the spell lists that the god knows, so that tends to make Odin and Isis popular.

but you could just let them pick any spell and cast it because the god makes it so because they are gods and have godly powers.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:

That's one of the reasons I have warrior priests with no magic and a hth style, and magic using priests with a crap hth style.

and do the ones who know warlock spells allow their followers to cast them.
I only allow my players to pick from the spell lists that the god knows, so that tends to make Odin and Isis popular.

but you could just let them pick any spell and cast it because the god makes it so because they are gods and have godly powers.

This coming from the guy that has used teleport:superior to move the group, and sanctuary to kill an ancient dragon.....
Kiralon knows his Priests, even if he runs the edge of ticking his God off....
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”