Christmas theme Rifts game

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

sirkermittsg
Explorer

Re: Christmas theme Rifts game

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

there are rules for Mutant Animals in a game called After The Bomb, most of them are repeated in Heros Unlimited. Rifts Lone Star has lots of animals... but I did not specifically see reindeer.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

sirkermittsg wrote:there are rules for Mutant Animals in a game called After The Bomb, most of them are repeated in Heros Unlimited. Rifts Lone Star has lots of animals... but I did not specifically see reindeer.

hmm I will have to think about that, deer/reindeer run through the lone star dog boy "upgrade"
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

The Rifter 0 (yes zero) if really, really bored. Otherwise simply whatever is fun.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
Lord Death
Explorer

Unread post by Lord Death »

One of the rifters has mutant deers in there..... just dont remember which one.....I know its one of newer ones...dont have my books near me.......
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I had a friend DM a Christmas special for D&D (3.5). It was corny, but it was fun for the kids.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

heh heh...I'd like to see des's take on the Reindeer..It'd be funny. as for a good target could have santa request the party break into the black vault and get his sleigh or bag of toys back. Could be a funky idea...and you know Santa has to have some wicked stats.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

A diabolic green skin is flying around in a red hovercyle with a dog equipped with a horribly attached single bionic antler are going around the world ruining everyone's cheerful mood one cold wintery night.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

Rimmerdal wrote:heh heh...I'd like to see des's take on the Reindeer..It'd be funny. as for a good target could have santa request the party break into the black vault and get his sleigh or bag of toys back. Could be a funky idea...and you know Santa has to have some wicked stats.

yup you know the coalition would mess with Christmas! I mean a sleigh that flies? that is clearly magic and they would hate that.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Sunrider wrote:Ok, my gaming group is working on a Christmas themed game. So far, we have an Ice Dragon as Santa, three Asgardian Elves, and Two Gnomes. I would like to make a Mutant Reindeer, but don't know how to go about.
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I truly doubt we'll ever see the much advertised Rifts Lapland.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Sunrider wrote:Ok, my gaming group is working on a Christmas themed game. So far, we have an Ice Dragon as Santa, three Asgardian Elves, and Two Gnomes. I would like to make a Mutant Reindeer, but don't know how to go about.
Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

As previously mentioned mutant animal construction is covered in After the Bomb, Heroes Unlimited and TMNT, though the later two only help in establishing how to do the work, neither have Reindeer in them. You might need to combine them, I don't have AtB, HU has Superpowers which the mutant animals can purchase that would allow for easy customization.

Additional Options though:
-Feni Nomands (DBoNA pg80-3) would take some customization (or a good starting place) as they already are "deer people", they don't have access to Magic OCCs by default
-Peryton (sp) in RCB1r is a winged deer, though in this case it is also evil (escaped subjects from Atlantis Insane Asylum?)
-metamorphosis on Dragons (or other species) to complete the illusion (maybe custom spell lists for each Dragon used, but Rudolph should have select spells to allow him to act as a guide)
-Bio-Wizard/Bio-Borg upgrades to morph another creature into a flying reindeer
-Robot construction rules (SB1) or a modified Robot Horse (New West) or TW Glittermount Horse (New West) would also suffice
-Gene Splicer/Tech (here you will essentially have to assign stats and such)
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Candy Cane Golems or elemental!!!
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Has anyone statted up the Krampus? Grinch is a definite d-bee.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

The Krampus..(shudder) I think it was either Rathorc or Pepsi Jedi put a link on my facebook about Krampus. That thing is horrible. Let me see if I can find the info..

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... on/100639/
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:The Krampus..(shudder) I think it was either Rathorc or Pepsi Jedi put a link on my facebook about Krampus. That thing is horrible. Let me see if I can find the info..

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... on/100639/

First time I've heard of this (compared to Black Peter, who is apparently Krampus by another name) was Sunday watching American Dad, although saw an unusual but entertaining foreign Christmas film where a remote town on a mountain's side learns due to an American businessman's efforts that the mountain is actually the prison for Santa Claus (although he thought it was a crypt). Except this Santa is actually like Krampus and his elves (who look like old men) are shown working to free him from his icy prison after it was breached by the businessman's efforts to uncover the grave. They also go around kidnapping naughty boys and leaving stocks in their place so Santa has plenty of boys to punish (or eat, or both), and only through the diligent efforts of the one kid who realized the truth do the adults finally learn the truth and manage to stop Santa's release.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

He's definitely more a European thing. I saw him on Venture Brothers too. Usually horned, covered in hair with a lolling tongue. One foot is a cloven hoof, the other is "normal". He's wrapped in chains with bells hanging from them and carries a bundle of birch branches for whipping naughty children with. Some accounts have him carrying a washtub on his back for drowning particularly naughty kids. Yikes.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Krampus was also on the tv show grimm fyi.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I saw that episode of Grimm. It was great. All of it except for the crappy cgi animated long flicking forked tongue. I'd have been satisfied with a believable prosthetic.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

DRock wrote:You could add in 'The Candy Monster'.

The Candy Monster is something that just sort of... organically got out of hand back in one of my old RIFTS games. The Candy Monster is a Worldly Sasquatch (from RIFTS Canada) and like most of his kind he has a sweet tooth. One day he and his party were sucked into a rift... it was a Vacation Planet, and when they returned the whole party was wearing straw hats, hawaiian shirts, cargo shorts, sandals, and digital cameras.

They went to the nearest town to resupply (having all their gear turn into tourist junk). Feeling like having something sweet, the Sasquatch goes to the nearest general store, where he puts the digital camera down on the counter and asks how many sweets he can buy with it.

The general store owner takes out a measuring tape, measures the confectionery wall, then stops somewhere near the end and starts removing entire sections. With a 'Here ya go!' the Sasquatch ends up owning most of the store's sweets. This annoys the rest of the party to no end as he loads up their transport with candy.

A few of the local guttersnipes watch with sad puppydog eyes as all this candy is being loaded. Our Sasquatch notices. He approaches the children, and he asks in a soft gentle voice that beguiles his intimidating size and stature...

"You want some candy?"

He offers each kid a sweetstick.

Rather than scream for the nearest police officer, the guttersnipes say 'YAY!' and start bring more children over! Next thing you know all the town's children are there and the party has to spend the next hour handing handfuls of candy to little children!

And that's how the legend of The Candy Monster was born!

The legend mutated a bit as the party traveled on. The Candy Monster rides a Black Beetle Sleigh (actually, it's their old Coalition APC that was uparmoured with Fury Beetle shell sections), and with his woodland creature helpers (another exaggeration due to the various pets our party owns) he gives candy to all the good little boys and girls while avoiding the Coalition Death Squads (that much is true; strange D-Bees handing candy to little children in Coalition territory tends to get you on a few watch lists). It was even said that The Candy Monster flew his magical beetle sleigh into Tolkeen and rescued all the good children from certain death (again an exaggeration, it was a Tolkeen affiliated town, it was a dozen children of various temperments, and only the mage flew in and everyone else had to drive).

It beat keeping his old nickname, Chewbacca.

So now as a backstory in our games, The Candy Monster has woven itself into legend. It has become part of Christmas in some areas. In some areas of the Wild West as well as the non-Coalition dominated east, instead of presents the children get mysterious gifts of candies and sweets.

So there you have it. A different take on the holidays, as well as the interesting way in which traditions end up ingraining themselves with the general populace. Hope that gives you some inspiration.

Now this may be an odd question but, why was his camera worth so much ? I mean in a place like Rifts Earth how useful would the camera be to the average person ? If he traded a gun or something I could see that, but other than your pc's or higher level npcs I don't see most citizens spending their resources on luxuries like cameras.

Now that I've rained on your parade, I still enjoyed the story, lol

Return to “Rifts®”