MAC III Little Monster appearing in Rtech: Love, Live, Alive

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

MAC III Little Monster appearing in Rtech: Love, Live, Alive

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Well, I had a chance to watch R: LLA with Colonel Wolfe just a short while ago. Interesting is the nicest word I could mention (godawful might be another). The high point was seeing the MAC III Little Monster in the scene with Dana during the hasty evacuation of the 15th Squadron's battalion laager before it goes KABOOM! Of course, this changes the canon set out in the Love & War comics from the 15th being at Reflex Point during the evacuation and Tiger Destroids in support.

So, anyway, in totality about 5-10 mins of new footage, including at the end of Sera & Lancer and their new green-blooded mutant baby in the womb.

Apparently now several months DO take place before the final concert and The Shadow Chronicles, placing LLA in-between The Battle of Reflex Point and the final concert in Symphony of Light. Why Tommy couldn't be bothered with these details during the making of Shadow Chronicles I can't fathom.

I'll try and get some screen grabs a little later on....
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Re: MAC III Little Monster appearing in Rtech: Love, Live, Alive

Unread post by MilkManX »

Yeah they did mention some "Sentinels" mecha would have cameos at their SDCC panel.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Oh, forgot that there were Alpha/Beta's shown in the 15th squadron evacuation scene. So apparently the Beta really does predate the 10th Mars Division's landing on Earth now.....:frust:
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Well, I had a chance to watch R: LLA with Colonel Wolfe just a short while ago. Interesting is the nicest word I could mention (godawful might be another).

"Godawful" is a nice word for it. My first inclination was to call it "criminally bad". If this is the best they can do, they'd be better served to pack it in and sell the rights back to Tatsunoko.

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:The high point was seeing the MAC III Little Monster in the scene with Dana during the hasty evacuation of the 15th Squadron's battalion laager before it goes KABOOM! Of course, this changes the canon set out in the Love & War comics from the 15th being at Reflex Point during the evacuation and Tiger Destroids in support.

If the high point was seeing an ugly design from a wretched abortion of an animated series, that bodes ill for the rest. I'm inclined to wonder if the various canon conflicts means that Love Live Alive was never intended to be canon, as they contradicted it on the Beta front.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Seto Kaiba wrote:"Godawful" is a nice word for it. My first inclination was to call it "criminally bad". If this is the best they can do, they'd be better served to pack it in and sell the rights back to Tatsunoko.

:shrugs:

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:I'm inclined to wonder if the various canon conflicts means that Love Live Alive was never intended to be canon, as they contradicted it on the Beta front.

The only way it could make sense is if those Beta's are non-transformable boosters.....
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

Do I want to ask how you're all seeing it a day before release?
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

silvermoon383 wrote:Do I want to ask how you're all seeing it a day before release?

I've seen snippets here and there from the new animation... but the overwhelming bulk of it is almost thirty years old and it takes no great feats of internet savvy to acquire a copy of the unbastardized original work. In a sense, that's one of many reasons I refuse to buy it... it's nothing I don't already own three copies of. :lol:

(As far as seeing the new animation goes, let's just say that Tommy seems to be a stranger to the idea that people who go to their panels have novel devices called smartphones...)
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

silvermoon383 wrote:Do I want to ask how you're all seeing it a day before release?

it called per-ordered on Amazon, and got it delivered this morning. This new shipping company they use usually get my 2 day packages here in 1...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

I honestly Liked it, it could have been worse, and it made canon my pet theory that Bernard waited on earth for a few weeks/Months before going into orbit. since Lunk has time to grow a full man beard, as well as Lancer and Sera start breeding Hybrids...
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Well, as promised here are a pair of screen caps of the MAC III (courtesy of Colonel Wolfe). Sadly, the animation is about as grainy as you can get....

MAC III (01)
MAC III (02)
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

HG does not have the power to enforce street dates. It also not uncommon for anime to be shipped before street date.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Well, as promised here are a pair of screen caps of the MAC III (courtesy of Colonel Wolfe). Sadly, the animation is about as grainy as you can get....

MAC III (01)
MAC III (02)

Thanks. Good eyes there if you could spot this thing as buried as I suspect it was in the animation.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

taalismn wrote:Thanks. Good eyes there if you could spot this thing as buried as I suspect it was in the animation.

Actually, not really. You hear the report of the 3 cannons firing several times and they pretty well illuminate the MAC III. Its just the animation really was that grainy. Its the 15th Squadron's battalion laager that I had to pause to be able to tell it wasn't Reflex Point the first time.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Given its appearance in R:LLA, does that mean that this may be a MAC III (retroactively) in Half Moon?
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Tell me that was a tiny part of the screen, because if it wasn't-- that art was horrible.
silvermoon383
Wanderer

It was way in the background where it was dark and full of battle fog/dirt/dust. Not to mention the camera was focused on a particular ASC lieutenant and the shuttle they were boarding at the time.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

RSCF wrote:The high point was seeing the MAC III Little Monster in the scene with Dana during the hasty evacuation of the 15th Squadron's battalion laager before it goes KABOOM! Of course, this changes the canon set out in the Love & War comics from the 15th being at Reflex Point during the evacuation and Tiger Destroids in support.

I'm not sure about the canon status, but it might indicate the limitations HG has with unused pre-production works from the OSMs (even the less "successful" ones) in new animation vs using the stuff from Sentinels (which I'd rather they use those designs over unseen stuff from the OSMs) if it is supposed to be a MAC-3 as...

Looking at the screen grabs a bit closer. Is that actually a MAC-3, a modified Tiger, or some hybrid of the two? I ask because the MAC-3 has defined arms, with a total of 5 barrels between the body (3 total) and arms (1each). The Tiger only has 2 barrels. I can only see 3 barrels and a good view of the mecha (w/little out of view), so either the MAC-3(s) are missing them (for some reason) or it isn't a MAC-3 per say but a Tiger or hybrid-relative.

RSCF wrote:Oh, forgot that there were Alpha/Beta's shown in the 15th squadron evacuation scene. So apparently the Beta really does predate the 10th Mars Division's landing on Earth now

Why am I not surprised (A/B)? Could indicate the VFB-X-7 entered limited production, just not mass production as the Beta design existed and was tested back in 2022 with flight models if the Sent. OVA still applies in that regard.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they passed it off as an AE from reusing Shadow Chronicles CG models (where the Alpha is only seen connected to a Beta unless it was a Shadow version).

RSCF wrote:Given its appearance in R:LLA, does that mean that this may be a MAC III (retroactively) in Half Moon?

It's possible I suppose, but I have reservations about the spacing (MAC-3 might be a bit to big), but otherwise does appear to offer a good fit for what was seen in the 85eps. Though IIRC the dialogue from "Half-Moon" didn't the backup force bring VHTs (it was overlaid with Cyclops Recon nt-Bs), which could indicate that the cannon mecha in "Half-Moon" was a VHT (or group) with a different barrel configuration than the VHT-1 the 15th uses.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

ShadowLogan wrote:[
It's possible I suppose, but I have reservations about the spacing (MAC-3 might be a bit to big), but otherwise does appear to offer a good fit for what was seen in the 85eps. Though IIRC the dialogue from "Half-Moon" didn't the backup force bring VHTs (it was overlaid with Cyclops Recon nt-Bs), which could indicate that the cannon mecha in "Half-Moon" was a VHT (or group) with a different barrel configuration than the VHT-1 the 15th uses.

"Okay, you jokers, WHERE the hell did Sea Squad get the BATTLESHIP and HOW the hell did they get it this far inland without anybody noticing?! And how come nobody mentioned it to me?!" :badbad:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

taalismn wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:[

"Okay, you jokers, WHERE the hell did Sea Squad get the BATTLESHIP and HOW the hell did they get it this far inland without anybody noticing?! And how come nobody mentioned it to me?!" :badbad:

"Didn't you get the memo. All Sea Squad warships have anti-gravity or hovercraft float systems so they can move well inland"
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

I watched my copy last night.

If you have seen Mospeada LLA you know some of the new footage but the Robotech LLA is a very different film. Mospeada LLA is a concert tribute montage to the entire Mospeada show. Robotech LLA is a Tribute via a recap of the New Generation with some new footage and surprises and not nearly as much music.

Overall I give it a 7/10.

It is a great recap of the New Gen storyline through Lancers POV. The opening is really cool with the flashback to the 10th division drop and the 15th ATAC core retreating from the Invid Invasion. From there it goes into Lancer talking about his personal journey to Reflex Point. The people he meets and the encounters they have. The middle 45-60 minutes is all pretty much recap footage from the remastered New Gen with some Voice Over by Lancer. The last 15 minutes are most of the footage from Mospeada LLA with Lancer reuniting with his friends as they send Scott off. The very end is the surprise.

It is not without faults though. I myself having watched Mospeada LLA a few times knew all of that footage and I feel it could have been used just a bit better. There was not enough songs I feel. Maybe insert the concert footage with the Robotech versions of Lancers Songs in between the recaps.

Animation wise I feel the new battle footage was pretty good. The 10th division/15th Squad stuff is really cool. I hope they use that technique in any future movies like Shadow Rising. The new 2d character animation I feel was not as good and did not quite match the original Robotech/Mospeada LLA animation. It is close though but for vets you will be able to see it instantly.

I recommend it for the Robotech fans especially if you love the New Generation or if you are just a casual Robotech fan you may love it as a condensed version of the 3rd war to get you ready for Shadow Chronicles. It would have been nice to have the original Mospeada LLA on here too with sub-titles but maybe they will release that later.

Lonely soldier boy.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

MilkManX wrote:I watched my copy last night.

If you have seen Mospeada LLA you know some of the new footage but the Robotech LLA is a very different film. Mospeada LLA is a concert tribute montage to the entire Mospeada show. Robotech LLA is a Tribute via a recap of the New Generation with some new footage and surprises and not nearly as much music.

Overall I give it a 7/10.

It is a great recap of the New Gen storyline through Lancers POV. The opening is really cool with the flashback to the 10th division drop and the 15th ATAC core retreating from the Invid Invasion. From there it goes into Lancer talking about his personal journey to Reflex Point. The people he meets and the encounters they have. The middle 45-60 minutes is all pretty much recap footage from the remastered New Gen with some Voice Over by Lancer. The last 15 minutes are most of the footage from Mospeada LLA with Lancer reuniting with his friends as they send Scott off. The very end is the surprise.

It is not without faults though. I myself having watched Mospeada LLA a few times knew all of that footage and I feel it could have been used just a bit better. There was not enough songs I feel. Maybe insert the concert footage with the Robotech versions of Lancers Songs in between the recaps.

Animation wise I feel the new battle footage was pretty good. The 10th division/15th Squad stuff is really cool. I hope they use that technique in any future movies like Shadow Rising. The new 2d character animation I feel was not as good and did not quite match the original Robotech/Mospeada LLA animation. It is close though but for vets you will be able to see it instantly.

I recommend it for the Robotech fans especially if you love the New Generation or if you are just a casual Robotech fan you may love it as a condensed version of the 3rd war to get you ready for Shadow Chronicles. It would have been nice to have the original Mospeada LLA on here too with sub-titles but maybe they will release that later.

Just a warning friend, you are about to get hammered.
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Not from me. I agree with MilkManX 100%
MilkManX
Wanderer

Re: MAC III Little Monster appearing in Rtech: Love, Live, A

That is fine. I came to share and if others want to flame me that is their choice. Some people are just jerks.

Lonely soldier boy.
DocTom
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by DocTom »

I'll agree with MilkManX,
I would have written the same post, but maybe I'd drop the rating down to 5/10.
Much more of the LLA concert footage could have been used. Three songs would have been nicer. They have lancer in 3-4 different outfits in the one song they include.

DocTom
RiverJack
Explorer

Unread post by RiverJack »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Well, I had a chance to watch R: LLA with Colonel Wolfe just a short while ago. Interesting is the nicest word I could mention (godawful might be another). The high point was seeing the MAC III Little Monster in the scene with Dana during the hasty evacuation of the 15th Squadron's battalion laager before it goes KABOOM! Of course, this changes the canon set out in the Love & War comics from the 15th being at Reflex Point during the evacuation and Tiger Destroids in support.

So, anyway, in totality about 5-10 mins of new footage, including at the end of Sera & Lancer and their new green-blooded mutant baby in the womb.

Apparently now several months DO take place before the final concert and The Shadow Chronicles, placing LLA in-between The Battle of Reflex Point and the final concert in Symphony of Light. Why Tommy couldn't be bothered with these details during the making of Shadow Chronicles I can't fathom.

I'll try and get some screen grabs a little later on....

I was happy to see the MAC III in the movie. About the only thing good about the movie is the epilog and prolog.
Chris0013
Hero

Unread post by Chris0013 »

Just finished it....here are my issues...

1. Should have put it back in chronological order.....not jumped around in the continuity.
2. Should have had less of the dialogue from the show and more of Lancer being interviewed and actually have the story told from his point of view.
I know it is a little extreme to advocate the death penalty for stupidity...but can't we just remove all the warning labels and let nature take it's course???
MilkManX
Wanderer

Chris0013 wrote:Just finished it....here are my issues...

1. Should have put it back in chronological order.....not jumped around in the continuity.
2. Should have had less of the dialogue from the show and more of Lancer being interviewed and actually have the story told from his point of view.

#2 Yeah I brought that up on my review.

Lonely soldier boy.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

It should have been 20 minutes long.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Oh, forgot that there were Alpha/Beta's shown in the 15th squadron evacuation scene. So apparently the Beta really does predate the 10th Mars Division's landing on Earth now.....:frust:

They could have been VF-X-7s (if you use the RPG as canon).
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”