Independence Day Robotech rip off?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Deckard1973
D-Bee

Independence Day Robotech rip off?

Unread post by Deckard1973 »

Yesterday was the 4th. Naturally I watched the movie Independence Day. When I saw it in the theaters, I could not help myself but say,
"They stole THAT from Robotech!"
"THAT" being Dolza's ship with thousands and thousands of ships within it.
And to a lesser degree how they destroyed it.
Anyone feel the same?
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Re: Independence Day Robotech rip off?

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

well there are lots of simulateritys. but i like the movie.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I for one would like to take ID4, Battle Los Angeles, Battleship and Skyline and just have a long reel of the battle scenes (guns and explosions with no plot) and just watch the fun with some heavy metal music...basically an one to two hour long AMV of sci-fi war :?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Deckard1973 wrote:Yesterday was the 4th. Naturally I watched the movie Independence Day. When I saw it in the theaters, I could not help myself but say,
"They stole THAT from Robotech!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No. No. A thousand times No.

The first, and most obvious, reason that's a ridiculous idea is that there's pretty much nothing in common between ID4 and Robotech. Having a large ship that's full of fighters isn't exactly what you'd call an uncommon idea, and the Boddole Zer mothership from Macross didn't split up into a bunch of smaller ships the way the mothership in Independence Day did.

Second, in order for Hollywood to "steal" ideas from Robotech, someone in Hollywood would have to actually remember Robotech and believe that copying it was a good idea. Robotech's track record of failure hadn't yet achieved its apex with Carl Macek's brainchild Robotech 3000, but it was already pretty damn heinous... certainly enough that any Hollywood creative type would shun the series as poison. Mind you, they'd have to actually know the series existed, which is pretty unlikely considering the mid-90's was Robotech at the peak of its obscurity. It never really caught on during its initial run in the 80s, and had been largely forgotten by all but its shrinking fanbase... Robotech didn't get any real attention until 1999-2000, when Harmony Gold screwed Macross fans worldwide with a campaign of legal threats that kicked off the Big West v. Tatsunoko rights confirmation issue.

Third, in order for the creators of Independence Day to "steal" an idea from Robotech, the idea would have to be original to Robotech. You can't steal from Robotech what isn't Robotech's, and that sure as hell ain't. The Robotech series hasn't had an original idea in going on thirty years, after all. Some studios, including LucasFilm, have included references/homages to the original Japanese Macross (specifically that, not RT) and come right out and said as much. The only pop culture reference to Robotech anyone can point to is a single musical reference for something like three seconds in Futurama's send-up of god-awful dubbed anime (which is hardly a complement). The creators of ID4 have acknowledged several titles as having inspired their work, most importantly Stargate, but Robotech was not among them.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Its the central bay full of ships and atmosphere and control towers, isn't it?

But no, giant alien spacecraft have been menacing Earth for decades. ever since the pulp era....
And then there's the Death Star... :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

ID4 makes me think more of a modern take on HG Well's "War of the Worlds" to be honest than other shows/movies with its alien invaders coming to Earth.
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

There were also no giant human-looking aliens in ID4, either...
They can't see me...Right!?

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”