thinking of picking up dead reign

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

thinking of picking up dead reign

Unread post by say652 »

what book do you the players reccomend to start. really interested in zombie variants.
flatline
Knight

Re: thinking of picking up dead reign

Unread post by flatline »

Get the main book. It has all the zombie material you need. The other books are interesting reads, but the setting doesn't lend itself well to long campaigns where you're likely to exhaust the material from the main book.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i really want a super powers VS zombies campaign that doesn't dissolve onto a marvel zombies campaign crap pile.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

i am actually begging my old GM(in real life) to run a supers VS zombies campaign. i will keep you posted if this actually happens......common Tony this is getting old i will buy the books just GM already!!!!!!!!!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

flatline wrote:Get the main book. It has all the zombie material you need. The other books are interesting reads, but the setting doesn't lend itself well to long campaigns where you're likely to exhaust the material from the main book.

--flatline

I actually really liked the random tables from the second and third sourcebooks. Definitely worth the price of admission for me, just to help keep the random fear going for the players.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Baron mugwort
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Baron mugwort »

The Main Book is fantasitc. It gives you a great feel for the world and throws out some curve balls too. They even manage to explain in a way that doesn't suck why the infrastructure is the first to fall.

The OCC's are top notch and the new combat mechanics for Zombies and how shotguns work is enough to justify the price of the book alone IMHO.

The Survivor OCC in particular is a great peice of work that could be slotted into any other ideas you have for a post apoc game. They reminded me of the bad guy from "The Postman" (not the best film ever lol). In the past he was a photocpoier repair man (4th level :P) now he is a wasteland king!

Best book in years.... from a certain point of view!
"Baron Mugwort, I think you are the official representative of the intrests of Giants in Rifts. Its a great job (full benefits!)." Argos.

http://www.kingsofrpg.com For all things RPG!
Contribute to the website with your own RPG advice, stories and adventures! barnonmugwort@ding-irl.com
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The Main book should be grabbed first.
Then I'd say "Source book 3, then Source book 1, then lastly Source book 2" I'll give a brief rundown of what's in them though so you can pick and choose yourself as to what your game needs.

Being 100% honest, Sourcebooks 1 and 2 were one book, spliced into two with an extra cover. That being said...

Sourcebook one: Civilization gone: Has alot of useful stuff. An entire chapter on creating villians. Ghost Walkers, backstabbing Cretin, Messinic Leader, god's avenger, Doomsayer, God's chosen people, Zombie Master, Zombie Lover (ick) Deluded Zombie Lover, Psychopathic killer, Zombie Deathbringer, Zombie Killing maniac, Parinoid and parinoid survivalists

They have a chapter on bandits and raiders, Bandits, con artists, Thief, Thugs, Raiders, Assassin, Thug, Driver, Militia, Street gangs,

Stuff on weather and military weapons (where if memory seves they say don't use um, due to ammo. DOn't know about you, but I'll use um as I find um))

Stuff on illnesses,

New Zombies
Juggernauts
Trash Crawlers
Pretty Zombies (ick ick ick)

Resources and stuff for common homes.

So.. a pretty good book for the buck.

The second half is

Sourcebook two: Dark Places
Clearly written as part of the first book, but an extra cover and two books mean larger sales overall. Two $16 books sell better than one $20 book. :)
Some survival tactics.
New Zombies
Bug boys. (infested zombies) then a good bit of details on what could happen with different buggy infestations and what they'll do to you
Worm meat. ((About what you think)
Sewer Crawlers
Impersonator Zombies
Blow Fish Zombies

A section on travel
A bit on railroads and how people don't think about them but they make great travel routes. (Personally I think this section was added when Kevin and his GF took some of their zombie props out and took picks' along a set of tracks. Not a bad section but a bit more is made out of it than I might have.)
A section on Sewers.

Sourcebook Three: Endless Dead. (A book in and of itself. Not parts of another)
This book introduces "Zombie Amalgamations. Or Zombies through some fashion squished or melted together to be multi zombies
Fast slow Zombie
Fused Zombie
Chained Zombies
multi Zombies
parasite juggernaut
Silent sloucher
Spart parts thinker (Pretty ba)
Twin speedster zombie
Walking graves

New OOCs (( Some of these are really awesome.))
Sentinel
Survivalist (My personal fave)
Wheelman
Zombie hunter
Zombie researcher

A chapter (Well like 5-10 pages) on vechiles and how to soup them up. These are actually DIFFERENT rules from the old Road Hogs rules written in the 80s. There's also stats on all sorts of normal vehicles. From bicycles to ATVs to cars, sports cars, trucks, jeeps, school busses. Useful for palladium as a whole. The write ups even tell you how many people you can cram in and what not. lol

A chapter on military units in Dead Reign. Not just the gear but like units that survived the rise, their recruiting etc
Military base random tables.
Random encounter tables, and some time lime options.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Dead Reign™”