Ways of learning new skills

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Ways of learning new skills

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

So after reading the various other threads I've come to the conclusion that there are basically 3 ways to learn a new skill in the Megaverse.

1.) For the HU and BTS universe, the PC goes back to school and receives a "formal education".

2.) For all other universes in the Palladium system the PC is granted a new skill(s) as they level up.

3.) Find someone who knows what you want to learn and have them teach you. I believe this one is applicable across the megaverse.

So with #3 in mind especially I had an interesting thought pop up after reading the following information. "The RexBot is programmed with an encyclopedic knowledge of just about everything, including a variety of languages, and give quizzes on what it has already said before moving on to more answers."

Does this mean that I could use a Rexbot (if I found one..and I did!) to teach the PC's new skills? Admittedly it would only be the theoretical part of any skill as it is doubtful that the rexbot could display any the practical aspects (unless it has a video display screen of some sort.).
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Ways of learning new skills

Unread post by Nightmask »

From what I've seen of the AtB RPG characters aren't expected to learn new skills (the writer apparently felt characters would never live long enough to ever learn anything new for why there are no rules for it in the book). So you pretty much have to improvise going by what you feel works. The Rexbot could certainly teach a number of skills, although mostly those not requiring hands-on to learn of course. Pre-Cataclysm history, math, probably chemistry and such.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Nightmask wrote:From what I've seen of the AtB RPG characters aren't expected to learn new skills (the writer apparently felt characters would never live long enough to ever learn anything new for why there are no rules for it in the book).

That's no lie! We've ran nine short campaigns (1.5-3 hours) and we've almost died every single time. Never underestimate the benefits of a good nights sleep and the first aid skill.

So you pretty much have to improvise going by what you feel works. The Rexbot could certainly teach a number of skills, although mostly those not requiring hands-on to learn of course. Pre-Cataclysm history, math, probably chemistry and such.

hrmm..The more I think about that the better arguement I come up with for being able to learn more than just academic type things (remember it was a companion for small children and the mentally handicapped). The rexbot obviously has some type of visual sensor (how else could it see to perform its combat actions). This (to me) would allow the rexbot to visually inspect techniques, procedures, and the final result of any thing it knew about in order to assess the quality of work, competency of the worker and make corrections and instructions as needed. IF, and this is the big IF, it had some sort of video display, it could show instructional video's/animations so the learner could see the proper way of doing said skill. This way with the rexbot's audio and visual instruction it could theoretically teach anything within it's knowledge base. Granted, some skills like fishing or basic electronics, would require the necessary tools/equipment for the PC to practice with, but baring that (given that it comes with a video display) I don't know why it couldn't each anything it knows.

I'll see what the GM thinks. Learning = Living. It took me 3 games before I realized my PC was illiterate. You better believe I switched out a skill asap.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Nightmask wrote:From what I've seen of the AtB RPG characters aren't expected to learn new skills (the writer apparently felt characters would never live long enough to ever learn anything new for why there are no rules for it in the book).

That's no lie! We've ran nine short campaigns (1.5-3 hours) and we've almost died every single time. Never underestimate the benefits of a good nights sleep and the first aid skill.

Yes, always good to be careful and considerate of things and have at least one if not everyone with a minimum of First Aid skill. Or if you can manage it a minor healing power (whether Healing Factor to heal yourself or Healing Power to heal others).

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Nightmask wrote:So you pretty much have to improvise going by what you feel works. The Rexbot could certainly teach a number of skills, although mostly those not requiring hands-on to learn of course. Pre-Cataclysm history, math, probably chemistry and such.

hrmm..The more I think about that the better arguement I come up with for being able to learn more than just academic type things (remember it was a companion for small children and the mentally handicapped). The rexbot obviously has some type of visual sensor (how else could it see to perform its combat actions). This (to me) would allow the rexbot to visually inspect techniques, procedures, and the final result of any thing it knew about in order to assess the quality of work, competency of the worker and make corrections and instructions as needed. IF, and this is the big IF, it had some sort of video display, it could show instructional video's/animations so the learner could see the proper way of doing said skill. This way with the rexbot's audio and visual instruction it could theoretically teach anything within it's knowledge base. Granted, some skills like fishing or basic electronics, would require the necessary tools/equipment for the PC to practice with, but baring that (given that it comes with a video display) I don't know why it couldn't each anything it knows.

I'll see what the GM thinks. Learning = Living. It took me 3 games before I realized my PC was illiterate. You better believe I switched out a skill asap.

*chuckles* Yes, something I'd never let my character be without. Literacy=life indeed. Being able to read and options to learn can definitely improve on the survival of your character and everyone else's. It's not like the game should be run like Paranoia where you're expected to end up dead, one ought to get to actually keep their character alive and have a chance to learn and grow.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

I came up with an in-game teaching method some time back:
http://atbwarehouse.blogspot.com/2007/04/teacherinstructor.html

With home schooling in mind, I think your Rexbot idea has some merit; however game breaking. By this merit, you could have a character that knew everything, which would severely unbalance the game.

If that's what you're looking for, then go for it.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

You make a good point Rali. However, my idea (I believe) is balanced in the text that says the rexbot is for children (so what.. 0 - teen (12-16 depending on your outlook) and the mentally handicapped. A rexbot might teach me basic electronics, but not electrical engineering, General Repair and Maintenace but not Auto Mechanics or anything to specialized. Rexbot can you show me how to change a tire/spark plug/the oil? Rexbot Yes. Rexbot can you show me how to rebuild this engine? Rexbot No. That's the idea I was using to keep int from becoming game breaking. Farming and Gardening, Identify Plants and Fruits. sure. Botany? No.

Maybe it would just be limited to secondary skills, I'll have to take a closer look at the list.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”