Rifts Russia

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Re: Rifts Russia

Unread post by dragonfett »

Sourcebook 3 would probably be good, as well as Triax 1 & 2.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Brandon Aten is currently writing a book on the Sovietski.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

I'd recommend keeping survival in the wilderness and the elements in focus during your campaign. It can and often will make otherwise mundane encounters more challenging. I don't think it's a good setting if you're just going to run based off of numbers and attributes, but if you really play up the people, the politics, the legends and the personalities it can be a total blast.

Also, no more than two Warlord Shock Trooper 'Borgs at a time. It's more than enough, trust me. ;)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:Any word on when this Sovietski book might be coming out?

Probably not for a year or two considering the current release rate.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The ice demons are perfect for wintertime :demon:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

I've actually used a 4 demon pack of Unclean to great effect on more than one occasion. I have also used a Koschei as a main villain, but I think it works best when the players have a Kuznya in their midst. :)
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:Any word on when this Sovietski book might be coming out?

i suppose the most accurate, and least useful, answer would be... when it is done.

honestly, i cannot remember if Brandon has even sent it in yet..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

It should hopefully be turned in t GenCon this year
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Honestly, the myth that great Vodka needs to be expensive always amuses me.

Some of the best you can get is only 20$ a bottle in the US (which is not too much more expensive than Smirnoff, which is god-awful) and probably, over there, WAAAY cheaper than 20$ - if you like Vodka and you haven't had Russian Standard (particularly the Imperia "high end" label) you haven't had good vodka.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:
Grell wrote:I've actually used a 4 demon pack of Unclean to great effect on more than one occasion. I have also used a Koschei as a main villain, but I think it works best when the players have a Kuznya in their midst. :)

I assume you used the unclean more as a harassment type of encounter? Just wondering bc they dont seem the most deadly compared to many of the other russian demons like the ice demons, khitaka, or even the serpent hounds.

I used them as a main antagonist both times, the challenge was in the pursuit and avoiding being bushwhacked. I find they, like any adversary can be quite deadly so long as you play to their strengths. The second time I used that pack, the party contained a Kuznya and a Demon Hunter so the Unclean knew that a stand up fight would be folly. Since this adventure took place during the dead of winter, the pack would sneak into the town under the cover of an overnight storm and terrorize/murder the townsfolk. Eventually, the party lured them into town to desecrate a newly constructed church, cornered them and proceeded to STOMP the pack; killing their leader and forcing the rest to flee. However between the discovery of their first victims and the final church battle, the Unclean also managed to cut the town's (and character's) supply lines and spoil their winter food stores. All in all, a very costly affair and one that left more trouble after the demons were ran out. :)

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

WB20 Canada can help you on climate challenges.

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:So I am planning on running a Rifts campaign set in Russia this fall when I start grad school. Anyone have any prior experience running or playing in Russia with some advice on what has worked well? And are there any other sourcebooks that would be relevant outside of Warlords or Russia and Mystic Russia? And is there any other mention of the Sovietski in any current or upcomming books since it seems vastly underwritten considering the potential importance of a Neo-Soviet State.

Warlords and mystic russia are the main books with triax/mindwerks being good supplements and possibly rifts china if you want to have some of that bleed in as there is some cross border activity between demon hunters/demons.

I believe somebody is working on a sovietski world book but right now all the info on them is from warlords/mystic russia and rifts aftermath.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:So I take it you would suggest using most of the lesser demons and even some of the weaker ones in more of a guerilla type fighting style? Makes sense and would fit with lots of Russian mythology.

When required, yes! Demons aren't stupid even if they aren't particularly intelligent and will absolutely operate with an eye towards self preservation. With the group in question, I used them twice and the first time they were much more aggressive in their approach. Unfortunately for the first party of characters, they allowed themselves to be separated and...well, it didn't end well. :)

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:So I take it you would suggest using most of the lesser demons and even some of the weaker ones in more of a guerilla type fighting style? Makes sense and would fit with lots of Russian mythology.

That's more or less how they're stated to work in the book. the russian Archaic demons explictly don't function well in large groups, or even small groups with few exceptions
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Fodors Russia, go to a used book store buy an older book circa cold war. National geographics with articles on russia, these are both VERY cheap and useful books. They give flavor and useful geographical information.
I ran a game in russia, actually two games, not palladium. I suggest using farie tales as inspiration. Oddly red ridinghood, wolfen, werewolves, hags work very well for the feel.
Hope this helps.
earthhawk

Unread post by earthhawk »

I ran a Rifts Russia campaign for awhile, I found the best thing for me was going to the library and checking out several books on the region (or you could use wikipedia too). Not only did I find tons of valuable information on Russia, I also learned quite a bit of history. That's one of the best aspects of Rifts; being able to use real-world information and place it directly in-game. Hope this helps and good luck with your game!

EH
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Dzerzhinsky wrote:
boxee wrote:Fodors Russia, go to a used book store buy an older book circa cold war. National geographics with articles on russia, these are both VERY cheap and useful books. They give flavor and useful geographical information.
I ran a game in russia, actually two games, not palladium. I suggest using farie tales as inspiration. Oddly red ridinghood, wolfen, werewolves, hags work very well for the feel.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I lived in Russia for a while and studied it extensively for my B.A. so im not as much focused on the flavor and geography of Russia as the flavor of campaigns that have worked well for people in a Russian campaign. Havent thought of doing a fairy tale style setting but I definitely know a few good ones that might work, especially those involving Koschei the deathless.

I was thinking more for areas you had not been to or for historical value. One thing I read in national geographic was that there are cities in Siberia that are not on maps, and they are industrial cities, not like little sleepy towns!
I do not know anything about Koschei to be honest.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

boxee wrote: One thing I read in national geographic was that there are cities in Siberia that are not on maps, and they are industrial cities, not like little sleepy towns!

These go directly to the Fade town category! :wink:
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o

Return to “Rifts®”