Elf's DA Page UPDATE! Nova Satori

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TheElf
Explorer

Elf's DA Page UPDATE! Nova Satori

Unread post by TheElf »

Just a quick likeness test. Still thinking about a full up Cheesecake variant...stay tuned!

http://leelf.deviantart.com/
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: Elf's DA Page UPDATE! Nova Satori

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Looks like someone just fell into her trap, nice work. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Nice work....
The Dragon Has Spoken
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

Not bad, I think her nose and mouth are off a little. IINM the corners of her mouth are usually more rounded than pointed, and the base to tip of her nose is usually a longer and more shallow slope. Not sure if you will understand what I mean.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

:wink: Agreed. Needs a little fine-tuning, but otherwise well on the way there. :ok:
Nova, IMHO, doesn't get enough fanlove, like many of the characters of the Southern Cross arc.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

For a proof of concept piece nicely done :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
TheElf
Explorer

Unread post by TheElf »

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback!

@ RT and Taalismn could you be a little more specific re: "the mouth and nose were a little off"? Not sure what that means, is it crooked; askew; too high; too low? Help a starving artist out!

I sometimes depart a little from the typical small nose small mouth technique that is prevalent in most anime. If that is what you mean then I meant to so that. But she is really just a proof of concept sketch that I ended up coloring...as you can probably tell I spent most of my effort on her face and hair. The uniform is still very sketchy.

really just practice for the full up Cheesecake work that puts Nova in a more relaxed light. We'll see, if time allows...
rtsurfer
Adventurer

Unread post by rtsurfer »

the corners of her mouth are usually more rounded than pointed, and the base to tip of her nose is usually a longer and more shallow slope. Her mouth seems to be closer to her nose in the series.

Capture of Nova
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

TheElf
Explorer

Unread post by TheElf »

rtsurfer wrote:the corners of her mouth are usually more rounded than pointed, and the base to tip of her nose is usually a longer and more shallow slope. Her mouth seems to be closer to her nose in the series.

Capture of Nova

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. You are judging my style against the way she appears in the series. While I do no match Milimoto's style exactly, I do lean in his direction. I like the SC character desing but in my work I am trying to define a style that works across all three series. I also am not completely on board with some of the classic anime, or even some of the more recent anime design theory. Most notably the size of features (Eyes, nose, Mouth) and the relative pinched or kid-like appearance of characters.

That said I try to stay as close to the original as possible. So Nove in this case might be suffering from more mature, perhaps even slightly western appearance vice being a direct copy of the original.

I hope this isn't seen as a turn off to fans.

not for muthin, but if you look at the two captures you and RSCF posted you'll note that even they are "Slightly" off in appearance from each other!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

TheElf wrote:
rtsurfer wrote:the corners of her mouth are usually more rounded than pointed, and the base to tip of her nose is usually a longer and more shallow slope. Her mouth seems to be closer to her nose in the series.

Capture of Nova

Ahhh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. You are judging my style against the way she appears in the series. While I do no match Milimoto's style exactly, I do lean in his direction. I like the SC character desing but in my work I am trying to define a style that works across all three series. I also am not completely on board with some of the classic anime, or even some of the more recent anime design theory. Most notably the size of features (Eyes, nose, Mouth) and the relative pinched or kid-like appearance of characters.

That said I try to stay as close to the original as possible. So Nove in this case might be suffering from more mature, perhaps even slightly western appearance vice being a direct copy of the original.!

S'right. Mature is acceptable. Nova's, to the best of my knowledge, gone undercover in a high school, nor is 'Nova Satori' a Japanese name. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

It's good work and I agree with taalismn mature is okay she is GMP and by nature of her job would be more mature in looks and manner.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I like your art work. Please keep it coming.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”