Might buy game but totally lost...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mercdog
Hero

Re: Might buy game but totally lost...

Unread post by Mercdog »

1) Chaos Earth is essentially Rifts with a different timeline. CE takes place immediately after the Coming of the Rifts when all hell is breaking loose and it's a day to day struggle to survive. Rifts takes place a few hundred years later, when things have more or less stabilized and the remnants of human civilization are actually growing somewhat and more capable of fighting back the horrors unleashed by the Rifts.

2) The Combat System is fairly generic. There are some hit location tables for giant robots, but they aren't necessary to play. There are a few bugs in the system, but if you can overlook them or don't mind a little house ruling they shouldn't be too much of a problem for a seasoned group.

3) Pretty High fantasy. While Golden Age robots, laser weapons, and power armor abound, dragons, monsters and races of fantasy worlds can be found in great numbers and Demonic beings are a constant threat in many regions. Magic is more powerful than it has been in several millenia and new mystical practices have come about. Technowizardy, for example, enables the creation of technological items powered by magic, or capable of creating spell-like effects.

4) All Palladium Games use the same core rules system, so they are all essentially interchangeable. Though each setting does have some unique property that sets it apart and may need a bit of adjustment, there are a few conversion books that help with this as well.

5) Everybody has their own ideas on the necessities, but I'd say RUE, Rifts Conversion Books 1, Rifts Game Master's Guide, Rifts Book of Magic, and Rifts Sourcebook 1: Revised would be high on most everybody's list. I think Rifts: Aftermath is pretty well regarded, though I have yet to obtain a copy. I personally would highly recommend Mercenaries and Merc Ops, as well as the Coalition War Campaign (whether you want to use them as characters or antagonists is up to you and your group, but they are a major prescence.)

There are over 30 world books as well as several sourcebooks and dimension books, so it can be difficult to choose. I would advise you to browse the Palladium Books catalogue to determine which you may find useful for your particular tastes.

Hope that helps a little. :)
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

MrHemlocks wrote:Rifts looks fantastic but for a potential new GM can seem a little confusing as what to buy in order to run games. I am looking for a Sci-Fi based game for my large, eight players, game group. For the last 6 years I have run Call of Cthulhu (1920s) and recently Dark Streets Cthulhu (London 1753). Also, I run a old school dungeon crawl game...Dungeon Crawl Classic. I am now looking for a Sci-Fi rpg and that is how I recently discovered Rifts.

We are deciding as to which one to buy. We have picked these so far as possibilites...Rifts, Traveller, Rogue Trader or ShadowRun.

Some of the questions that are brought up about Rifts are these, and I hope you can answer them:

1) What campaign setting is used for the game...Chaos Earth? If that is the case than why does it have a seperate forum? Is it a newer version or something?

Rifts is its own campaign setting.

2) Is the combat very generic like in AD&D or are there crit hits and charts?

It's pretty close to D&D. Not much in the way of charts, although there are some optional tables.

3) Is Rifts considered a low or high fantasy game where magic is rare and creatures few and far between?

You could run it that way, but most people run it with magic and creatures as being pretty common.
A lot depends on which part of the planet you're on.

4) The Rifts core book is ONLY for the Sci-Fi rpg game of Rifts not the other settings?

It's a sci-fi/fantasy RPG.
I'm not sure what you're asking.

5) If we pick Rifts...what do need to start with? I want a campaign setting, core rules and any needed extras.

The main Rifts book (Rifts Ultimate Edition) has some setting details. Pick it up, and give it a read-through.
If you want more information on a specific part of the world, there are over 30 World Books that you can pick and choose from.

I guess I am looking for something that combines the elements of Space 1999 tv show, Aliens movies and Dead Space pc game :-P

With Rifts, you can potentially combine anything with anything.
With the Rifts main setting, space travel is out. If you want the military feel, though, humans vs. monsters, you could run a Coalition campaign on Rifts Earth pretty easily.
If you felt like it, you could adapt it to more of a space game without a lot of problems, but there's not a lot of space material unless you want to pick up the Phase World dimension book and other stuff along that vein.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'm going to suggest that you try to find someone who's at least played it for awhile, or a GM who's willing to help you learn the basics of the game. The key here is to stress that you want to learn RAW before adding in any house rules.

Or even better start with Robotech. It uses the same rules for the most part, but doesn't have alot of stuff that can bog a game (or PC creation for that matter) down.

And I mean this version of the Robotech RPG if you can find it. Not the Shadow Chronicles one because I don't know if that one is easy for a new player to pick up.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

shadow chronicles is actually easier to pick up and play than the 1st edition robotech RPG. it's material is less spread out and it's rules are more coherent.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by cyberdon »

Dude, all you need's the Rifts Ultimate Edition. The game is awesome.

P.S. I'm a noobie to it, but plunged right in as a GM, and am currently running a very successful campaign via SKYPE. :)
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

The Beast wrote:I'm going to suggest that you try to find someone who's at least played it for awhile, or a GM who's willing to help you learn the basics of the game.

I'm pretty busy. However, I am happy to help in this regard just send me a private message and I'll do my absolute best to make time before this weekend.

The books I'd recomend picking up as "bare essentials" are:

Rifts: Ultimate Edition
Rifts: Game Master Guide

Followed by:

Rifts: Bionic Sourcebook
Rifts: Book of Magic

Once, you've got those you've got Setting (R:UE), fiddly rules that all GM's should know and a massive weapons/armor/vehicle catalog (R:GMG), cybernetic/robot culture and new cyber and how people in the setting respond to it (Bionics Sourcebook), and the DIVERSE magical cultures on the planet and a huge catalog of every spell in the game and how they work as well as information on what exactly it means to BE a practitioner of magic (Book of Magic).

Your players are going to be intimidated, and once you're holding the book in your hands there is a good chance you will be too. Its an OVERWHELMING amount of information to take in and learn and I remember what a ***** it was getting started as a new G.M. but its worth it. Rifts is a game that is EASY to play but difficult to master. You have to come at it with a certain amount of common sense. They don't spell out gravity for you and because its so circumstantial the G.M. has a lot more power and his judgement calls are a lot more important for how things flow (like in AD&D and not so much like 4e). You're given a tool kit, you can use it incorrectly easily and ruin the experience for everyone. However, if you are a good G.M. and by your post I have a feeling you are, than you'll find that the Megaverse offers you an unlimited range of possibilities.

However, before dipping your toe into those I highly recommend learning about your own backyard (R:UE). Otherwise, you'll find yourself overwhelmed by diversity. ;)

To address your question about critical injuries I will refer you to THIS I put it together for use in my own game. It is essentially the injury rules from the optional critical injury rules from original Rifts: Main Book and the the pain rules from the Rifts: Game Master Guide. They are OPTIONAL rules in both sources so not EVERY game master uses them but I think they add a certain amount of flavor to the game. Plus, it gives the Body-Fixer in the group something to do other than cry over the fact that everyone ignores the fact that magical healing is supposed to be relatively uncommon within the setting. :P

cyberdon wrote:Dude, all you need's the Rifts Ultimate Edition. The game is awesome.

P.S. I'm a noobie to it, but plunged right in as a GM, and am currently running a very successful campaign via SKYPE. :)

He is. He is the best Game Master I've ever played under. Hands down.

EDIT: R:UE will NOT provide you with the ability to fly around through space. Its the only thing it doesn't cover (but for a very cool reason that is part of the setting), but it does have aliens and demons and all manner of other things and tech to match. If you are looking for space travel, I'd have a look at phase world but I highly recommend starting with R:UE getting some experience and then starting a new Phase World game when you guys know your stuff because PW is an older book and the rules aren't as spelled out for you as in more recent material.
Last edited by Akashic Soldier on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

MrHemlocks wrote:Rifts looks fantastic but for a potential new GM can seem a little confusing as what to buy in order to run games. I am looking for a Sci-Fi based game for my large, eight players, game group. For the last 6 years I have run Call of Cthulhu (1920s) and recently Dark Streets Cthulhu (London 1753). Also, I run a old school dungeon crawl game...Dungeon Crawl Classic. I am now looking for a Sci-Fi rpg and that is how I recently discovered Rifts.

We are deciding as to which one to buy. We have picked these so far as possibilites...Rifts, Traveller, Rogue Trader or ShadowRun.

Some of the questions that are brought up about Rifts are these, and I hope you can answer them:

1) What campaign setting is used for the game...Chaos Earth? If that is the case than why does it have a separate forum? Is it a newer version or something?

The guys who already comments are straight shooters and I don't disagree with their post. I'm just going to post my 2 cents. :D All of Palladium's lines have unique settings. Rifts Earth is set some 400+ years in the future after an apocalypse that caused magic to erupt. There was a 300 year dark period and only in the last 100 years has civilization managed to make a comeback. Most folks use North America as the main setting, but with 30+ world books you can start in Europe, South America, Atlantis or even China.

MrHemlocks wrote:2) Is the combat very generic like in AD&D or are there crit hits and charts?

More like Advanced AD&D with some major changes. Not like the current incarnation 3.0 on up.

MrHemlocks wrote:3) Is Rifts considered a low or high fantasy game where magic is rare and creatures few and far between?

Well I consider it Sci-fi with high magic. Magic is indeed common and one of the major antagonist is anti-magic and even went to war with a magic city. Check out the Siege on Tolkeen books for that. As for creatures they are everywhere. Many come through the random Rifts all over the world while others are summoned! There are demons, deevils, monsters, alien intelligence and even dinosaurs!

MrHemlocks wrote:4) The Rifts core book is ONLY for the Sci-Fi rpg game of Rifts not the other settings?

Not sure what you mean by this. Yes, you only need the core Rifts RPG book to play and all other books are optional.

MrHemlocks wrote:5) If we pick Rifts...what do need to start with? I want a campaign setting, core rules and any needed extras.

I say just start with the core book. At the back of the book is a nice section talking about the Rifts Megaverse. It offers suggestions on what books fit for certain campaigns. I would suggest Rifts Source Book one which has a nice little adventure and a nice antagonist to introduce to a new group of players.

MrHemlocks wrote:I guess I am looking for something that combines the elements of Space 1999 tv show, Aliens movies and Dead Space pc game :-P

This combo suggests to me like you would want to check out the Phase Worldsetting. Phase World is a part of the Dimension Book series. If you want to take you game group through a Rift to explore the Megaverse Phase World is one of the settings. It can be run as its own game with only the Rifts Core book for the combat rules. Phase World is a space opera setting that combines the best elements of star wars, Star Trek, and Farscape. Yes, with the info in the book I'm sure you could make a game like the one you want. Phase World has several supporting books to expand on the setting. Its one of my favorite setting and one I've written for a couple of times.

Hope this helps out. Please let us know if you have more questions.

Welcome to the forums :ok:
ImageImage
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

P.S. I started with only the Rifts Ultimate Edition (the only book required to play the game) and The Adventure Guide.

I'm not a fan o' the GM's Guide, but instead used the Adventure Guide to wrap my mind around the setting.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Welcome to the boards!

I'm obviously rather biased (see the title), but Rifts is my favorite campaign setting in the world. It's very rich, very detailed, and a lot of fun to play.

1) What campaign setting is used for the game...Chaos Earth? If that is the case than why does it have a seperate forum? Is it a newer version or something?

Rifts is its own campaign setting. The game could technically be played with nothing but the Rifts Main Book or Rifts: Ultimate Edition. Chaos Earth is another game using substantively similar rules, but is an earlier time on Rifts earth.

The world of Rifts is one in which, as a result of the massive release of life energy that occurred when people died from a nuclear war, the earth became a magical powerhouse (in the Palladium system, life energy = magical energy). The nuclear war demolished most of human civilization, and now there are places with exceedingly high technology (think 23rd century) right next to places with 19th century technology. Psionic powers are relatively common, and magic is also relatively common. Some nations hate magic, psionics, and/or technology, and some are human supremacists. The world is...interesting.

OK - so earth is a magical powerhouse. Such magical planets are very rare in the Megaverse, and as such, very powerful magical beings come here to take their piece of it so they can harness the energy for their own fun (and when I say 'very powerful', I'm thinking beings that would only be annoyed or slightly hurt by someone dropping a good sized nuke on them).

Beings from other dimensions are also common. They range from being very similar to us to being powerful and exceedingly alien.

2) Is the combat very generic like in AD&D or are there crit hits and charts?

There are critical hits, but no charts. I'd call it medium-generic. Defense is active, rather than passive. You can parry, dodge, roll with punches or explosions, and so on to eliminate or mitigate damage done to you. Aimed and called shots are possible, and many or even most beings have a store of damage capacity that is localized to each portion of their body.

3) Is Rifts considered a low or high fantasy game where magic is rare and creatures few and far between?

Magic is not even remotely rare. There are massive lines of magical energy that are both localized and planet-wide (occasionally interplanetary). There are large magical holes in reality that can appear from time to time...just...anywhere. Technology and magic have been combined in some cases. Huge magic dealing bazaars exist.

4) The Rifts core book is ONLY for the Sci-Fi rpg game of Rifts not the other settings?

The rules and setting for the Rifts (Ultimate Edition/main book) are portable, but they only provide world detail for the game of Rifts itself. If you want to play Beyond the Supernatural, you can move things over if you like, but the Rifts is self contained. If you want to play other games, each game setting is self contained within the main book of each setting (and once you understand one set of Palladium rules, you can easily pick up the rules for most others).

5) If we pick Rifts...what do need to start with? I want a campaign setting, core rules and any needed extras.

What you *need* to start is just Rifts: Ultimate Edition (or you can buy the old main book PDF from DriveThruRPG.com, but it is outdated). World books add flavor, but you can do what you like with the world if you want.

I guess I am looking for something that combines the elements of Space 1999 tv show, Aliens movies and Dead Space pc game :-P

When it comes to Rifts...more than anything else, the answer to any, "Can I..." question, insofar as world building questions go...is very nearly always, "Yes."

This is a game where dragons are a possible character class, giant robots don't get people to blink, a person whose sole interest in life is scholarship is perfectly OK in that same group, and so is a guy that's just a free wheeling mechanic type. That guy with the knobs sticking out of his head? He's a Crazy...and yes, he really is crazy, but you are glad to have him by your side, because he's tough as nails and fast as hell. The dude with the tubes coming out of a collar around his neck and wrists? Yeah...he's *faster* than hell, and even tougher. It's a shame he'll only live for three more years...at best. Leave the guy with the three dozen tattoos alone. He may be nice, and he may not be nice. You don't want to find out if he's not nice.

It's a wonderful game. You have to house rule a bit, but it has all the flavor of a two mile long yard buffet table that's loaded with every food you've ever loved or wanted to try. When you see the Millennium Tree in Germany, you'll know what I mean.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

cyberdon wrote:P.S. I started with only the Rifts Ultimate Edition (the only book required to play the game) and The Adventure Guide.

I'm not a fan o' the GM's Guide, but instead used the Adventure Guide to wrap my mind around the setting.

Oh yes, I how could have I forgotten the adventure guide! It is one of my favorite books ever printed by the company and it never gets enough love!
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
cyberdon
Dungeon Crawler

Akashic Soldier wrote:
cyberdon wrote:Dude, all you need's the Rifts Ultimate Edition. The game is awesome.

Why thank you so much Akashic Soldier!

P.S. Yer money will be in the mail as discussed... :P
Akashic Soldier
Knight

cyberdon wrote:P.S. Yer money will be in the mail as discussed... :P

:lol:
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

cyberdon wrote:P.S. I started with only the Rifts Ultimate Edition (the only book required to play the game) and The Adventure Guide.

I think that's a better combo.
The GM's Guide has most of the weapons and armor, but not all of the original context.
It's better as a reference after you have the other books.
The Adventure Guide, though, will give you a much better feel for the setting, and how to run it.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Ima break ranks here. Buy GURPS.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

You should get Gurps: Rifts Earth :D but yeah, I'd probably get RUE and adventure guide at most and work out which rules to use and ignore the rest.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

cyberdon wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:

Why thank you so much Akashic Soldier!

P.S. Yer money will be in the mail as discussed... :P

This is one hell of a recommendation. Makes me wish: A. I had the time to play via skype, B. You ran a TMNT/HU/AtB campaign, C. I had the time to play via skype (Hooray I have a job. Boo it's 3rd shift with a constantly switching schedule), D. I had even the slightest clue how PbP worked.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I think I might break ranks here also. Considering what you are looking for in a game, I would go Rogue Trader or Shadowrun myself.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

There are already a lot of good answers. And like Carl said, Phase is where the money is at if you want to do space adventures. I think for the core setting though nothing paints a better picture of the desolate world Rifts is supposed to be then the Source Book (first edition or revised, doesn't matter). If you do set your game on Rifts earth, I would sugguest picking up at least one source, world, or conversion book so you have a little fodder in the way of creatures.

P.S. welcome to Rifts and boards!
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
earthhawk

Unread post by earthhawk »

Dear Friend:

Before you sink money into Rifts I would do one thing that is most important to you understanding and enjoying the game: look at the Rifts forum. I know there are some who think this would be silly, but I can't stress to you how important I think this would be to your potential purchase. Rifts has one of the best settings in RPGs that I've ever come across. However, the rules are ambiguous and scattered throughout various books; books are NEVER released on time, and for some reason, no matter how many people dump money into the company, they are always in dire straights and on the verge on closing their doors (look at the forum). So yes, Rifts is a fantastic setting with lousy rules and even worse management. Other than that I wish you the best and hope you find the game (Rifts?) that you are looking for.

Cheers! :D
Akashic Soldier
Knight

earthhawk wrote:with lousy rules and even worse management

I disagree. As I explained earlier, the fault lies with the user. If you do not use the system as it was intended and stretch it to the point of breaking and then complain that it breaks, that is kind of not how you're supposed to play the game. Ive seen people complain that they conquered North America because they're group consisted of a Splugorth, and Adult Dragon, and a 2nd Stage Promethean, etc. Yet, just because you "can" see the stats for those things, none of them are intended to be used as player characters. Yet, said person ***** and moaned about the game and the system. Its kind of a shame Palladium has such a bad reputation,if you don't use the material as it was intended (to tell a good story and allow for creative flexibility within a structured rules set) and if the G.M. doesn't take the time to actually learn the rules than you're going to run into problems. Yeah, rules are scattered but at the same time... if you're playing a Dwarven Miner, than why do you need to know what your Faster Than Light flying speed is or what penalties you suffer when in space? The short answer is you don't. So instead, those rules are listed where they will be relevant.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Rifts is a fantasy setting with futuristic elements. Rifts is not science fiction.

If you want real science fiction, look somewhere else.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:Rifts is a fantasy setting with futuristic elements. Rifts is not science fiction.

--flatline

Eh.
He said he wanted sci-fi, not science fiction.
And a lot of people see a difference between the two.

flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
flatline wrote:Rifts is a fantasy setting with futuristic elements. Rifts is not science fiction.

--flatline

Eh.

I don't see how that matters.

If the original poster does distinguish between sci-fi and science fiction, then my post may help him decide if Rifts belongs to the genre he is interested in (science fiction vs sci-fi).

If the original poster does not distinguish between sci-fi and science fiction, then my post may help him decide if Rifts belongs to the genre he is interested in (science fiction vs fantasy).

In either case, if you feel my post was somehow wrong or misleading, please provide whatever correction or clarification you feel is appropriate.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Eh.

Normally i agree with the things you say.. but in this case, a lot of people need to go back to school.

'Sci-fi' is an abbreviation of Science-Fiction, nothing more.

Rifts is fantasy. There's magic.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Subjugator

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Normally i agree with the things you say.. but in this case, a lot of people need to go back to school.

Clearly Flatline thought there was a difference between Science Fiction and other things with futuristic elements.

*shrug*

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Akashic Soldier
Knight

Star Wars is Science Fantasy also and you'll find it in the Sci-Fi section, really guys, are we really doing this? :lol:
flatline
Knight

Subjugator wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Normally i agree with the things you say.. but in this case, a lot of people need to go back to school.

Clearly Flatline thought there was a difference between Science Fiction and other things with futuristic elements.

*shrug*

/Sub

Perhaps this might be a good topic for another thread?

--flatline

MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

I've been playing Shadowrun for almost 15 years and I'd say buy that instead. But not 4th edition. Sink your money into 3rd edition and you'll be happy. I've been playing Rifts just as long and love it, but I can't promote it.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Rifts has a mix of sci-fi and fantasy. It's a kitchen sink setting. Psionics and tech are often sci-fi, magic and supernatural beings is the fantasy. But from a certain point of view it could all be considered science fiction.. I.e. what if the only reason we can't objectively measure and observe creatures of legend is because the 'stars aren't right' so to speak? What if PPE and ISP are currently so rare they're hard to detect consistently? What happens when an all-out nuclear strike releases the bound up PPE in people above a certain threshold or at the right places and times and this ppe triggers a chain reaction, similar to that in nuclear fission? You can build tech in rifts that can detect psionics and magic and interface with the brain e.g. mindwerks.

Rifts Earth pretty much follows on from BTS, a low psionic/magic sdc setting, where Victor Lazlo, a parapsychologist was carrying out scientific experiments (possibly flawed) and minor sporadic, easily covered up, events were starting to take place.. or had always taken place at a low level.
Last edited by Eclipse on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

--flatline

Eh.

Normally i agree with the things you say.. but in this case, a lot of people need to go back to school.

Among science fiction Aficionados, the phrase "sci-fi" is typically seen as a cheap imitation of proper "science fiction."
Personally, I've always thought that was kind of snobby... but I can see some use in the distinction of terms.
Mars Attacks is sci-fi; 2001: A Space Oddity is science fiction.
I can get what they mean.
And in that context, Rifts is definitely Sci-Fi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fi ... 2sci-fi.22
As science fiction entered popular culture, writers and fans active in the field came to associate the term with low-budget, low-tech "B-movies" and with low-quality pulp science fiction.[39][40][41] By the 1970s, critics within the field such as Terry Carr and Damon Knight were using sci-fi to distinguish hack-work from serious science fiction,[42] and around 1978, Susan Wood and others introduced the pronunciation "skiffy". Peter Nicholls writes that "SF" (or "sf") is "the preferred abbreviation within the community of sf writers and readers".[43] David Langford's monthly fanzine Ansible includes a regular section "As Others See Us" which offers numerous examples of "sci-fi" being used in a pejorative sense by people outside the genre.[44]

But the magic is explained as being simply science that we do not fully comprehend, if you read up on BtS.
So there IS magic... but it's not entirely irrational; there is potentially scientific basis for it.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Akashic Soldier wrote:Star Wars is Science Fantasy also and you'll find it in the Sci-Fi section, really guys, are we really doing this? :lol:

Yes, we are. There's no such thing as "Science Fantasy".

If there's magic, it's fantasy. Period.

I've read not one but TWO different doctoral thesis on the subject.

Fantasy has no mandate of not ALSO having high technology. The only thing that determines if it is fantasy is magic. If there is magic present, it is fantasy, even if there are also ray-guns and space ships. Star Wars is fantasy. Rifts is fantasy.

Make your peace with it.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Wikipedia disagrees - "Science fiction is a genre of fiction with imaginative but more or less plausible content such as settings in the future, futuristic science and technology, space travel, parallel universes, aliens, and paranormal abilities."

Note the 'paranormal abilities' part of that, as well as the 'more or less' (particularly the 'less'). These definitions are somewhat loose and the magazines where they gained popularity tended to be fast and loose about it. As for doctoral theses.. don't make me laugh.. that boils down to a semantic argument..

Pepsi Jedi
flatline
Knight

Science fiction defines a set of rules (often similar to the real world but not necessarily so) and then explores the implications. As such, some of the best science fiction I've read was in a fantasy setting (with magic and everything!). Similarly, some of the best fantasy I've read was set in a futuristic setting (Star Wars: A New Hope is an excellent example of such fantasy. As I understand it, Alan Dean Foster ghost wrote the novel for George Lucas).

--flatline

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I could write a "Doctoral Thesis" that my bologna does in fact have a first name, not Oscar as commonly thought, but Reginald. :frust: The fact that it is/was submitted for peer review with the purpose of obtaining an advanced degree does not lend it any merit. :nh:

I just wanted to make the above argument. I don't really even have a horse in this race.
:lol:
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Subjugator

Firstly, if you're going to say you've read doctoral theses on a subject, you should be prepared to provide them or have it treated as if they don't exist.

Secondly, that they exist does not mean they're correct. This is an item of opinion. Two economists can get Nobel prizes for saying opposite things and that is NOT a matter of opinion.

/Sub

Akashic Soldier
Knight

I'm not going to get sucked into this. I'm here to help the O/P not argue over Trek vs. Trilogy. The simple fact is that Science Fantasy is a genre, a popular genre, and it can be defied or refused as much as someone likes. You can read all about it here. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

MrHemlocks wrote:We are deciding as to which one to buy. We have picked these so far as possibilites...Rifts, Traveller, Rogue Trader or ShadowRun.

As a few others have suggested. you might want to consider RT. If you aren't familiar with it from other media, it really doesn't matter which edition you go for 1E or 2E.

MrHemlocks wrote:What campaign setting is used for the game...Chaos Earth? If that is the case than why does it have a seperate forum? Is it a newer version or something?

Chaos Earth is essentially a pre-quel to Rifts Earth as far as the setting Timeline goes. Chaos Earth is Earth just after the Great Catacysm, where Rifts proper is set some 300years after. The lines are kept seperate though.

MrHemlocks wrote:3) Is Rifts considered a low or high fantasy game where magic is rare and creatures few and far between?

It is more of a Science-Fantasy setting. The fantasy elements are there, but differ by region to how pronounced.

MrHemlocks wrote:4) The Rifts core book is ONLY for the Sci-Fi rpg game of Rifts not the other settings?

No. It is the core book for the entire Rifts Line, which includes Source Books, World Books, and Dimension Books.

MrHemlocks wrote:5) If we pick Rifts...what do need to start with? I want a campaign setting, core rules and any needed extras.

Core book (either the old Main Book or Ultimate Edition) for sure. You seem to be looking at a space setting so either:
-"Mutants in Orbit" (recommend old Main Book then)
-Phaseworld dimension books.

If you want it on Earth, that can be a bit harder to pin down as World Books tend to cover specific regions.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

MrHemlocks wrote:We are deciding as to which one to buy. We have picked these so far as possibilites...Rifts, Traveller, Rogue Trader or ShadowRun.

Rifts: This is a post post apocalypse game where there have arisen a few very high-tech societies (some who are 100% technology-based, some that are almost 100% Magic-based and others that are a mix between these who use techno-wizardry (magic and tech intertwined. Between these handful of societies, there are much wilderness and small villages and towns who are screwed unless there comes a bunch of cool adventures (guess who) to save them from monsters and evil mages. You can later mix this with Palladium Books other lines such as their fantasy RPG, Super Hero, Space as all uses the same rules.

Traveller: I would go with Mongoose Publishing version, where they have a basic core set of rules and then they have different universes in which you can play like 3rd Imperium (Big star empires where you travel and adventure in space, on planets, with lots of cool secrets. You can go 2300 AD when the earth just comes out into space and establish a empire for themselves and meet aliens (as well as earth cultural problems between super powers on earth), Hammer's slammers where you play soldiers.
Unlike Rifts, Traveller is more a space opera and a mix between Star wars, Space 1999 and Firefly.

Shadowrun: This cant really be compared with Traveller, but it shares a lot with Rifts in that it is a mix between cyberntic implants, magic, psionics and fantasy races. This is more, in my eyes, a mix between Bladerunner, Neromancer, Johhny Mnemonic and simmilar films, where super big companies own the world and the adventurers are hired helpers for black/shady ops and i love this game for what it is.

Rouge Trader: No idea.

MrHemlocks wrote:1) What campaign setting is used for the game...Chaos Earth? If that is the case than why does it have a seperate forum? Is it a newer version or something?

As others have said, Rifts is a game of its own, Chaos Earth is a prequel to what led up to the Rifs, C.E. is se IN the apocalypse and Rifts is set some 300-400 years after.

MrHemlocks wrote:2) Is the combat very generic like in AD&D or are there crit hits and charts?

The combat system is, in my eyes quite bad, it is based on a D20 while the skills are (mostly) based on a D100%. What I dislike about this combat system (and others on this forum adore) is that they have two types of damage (which also makes this game unique - from what i know):
HP/SDC (Hit Points/structural Damage Capacity): This is the standard toughness of a wall, door, car tank aircraft carrier, dog, human and elephant

and you have

MDC (Mega Damage): This is basically super high-ech, magic or otherwise supernatural toughness: Almost all spells do MD damage and 1 MD is equal to 100 HP/SDC, which means that if you are a standard human with average physique, you have 30 HP/SDC and normal laser pistols do 2D4-2D6 MD (200-1200 HP/SDC) which means that you are dead in one shot, unless you have MDC armor or spells that helps you.
many on this forum means that because of this - this game is the most deadly RPG game out on the market, and therefore better than others...

The magic/psionic system is pretty nice, though it pretty much lack the ability to create new spells or powers. Spells take times to cast while psionic powers are instant.

The rules in this game are very blurry and will at times contradict each other and in my eyes this game is badly edited and needs a lot of house rulings. You better read the Core book a few times before you start making your first character. Also they do not have any premade NPC lists which means that in the beginning it will be a lot of work with making all NPCs until you learn how to quickly do them in your head (after you learn what abilities certain NPCs get with level), also in the Core book, you have no monsters, no animals a very basic equipment list that is severely lacking.

This is up t you, but almost all monsters out there are MDC. So if your players do not have MDC armor, they will be toast.

Yes, but it has a page or three about travelling to other dimesniosn (the other games from Palladium Books)

RUE (Core book)
Adventure book
and any one of the world books, to get a deeper understanding of the settings.

MrHemlocks wrote:I guess I am looking for something that combines the elements of Space 1999 tv show, Aliens movies and Dead Space pc game :-P

Then I do Not think that Rifts is something you want. In my eyes, that seems more a thing for Mongoose Traveller
earthhawk

Akashic Soldier wrote:
earthhawk wrote:with lousy rules and even worse management

I disagree. As I explained earlier, the fault lies with the user. If you do not use the system as it was intended and stretch it to the point of breaking and then complain that it breaks, that is kind of not how you're supposed to play the game. Ive seen people complain that they conquered North America because they're group consisted of a Splugorth, and Adult Dragon, and a 2nd Stage Promethean, etc. Yet, just because you "can" see the stats for those things, none of them are intended to be used as player characters. Yet, said person ***** and moaned about the game and the system. Its kind of a shame Palladium has such a bad reputation,if you don't use the material as it was intended (to tell a good story and allow for creative flexibility within a structured rules set) and if the G.M. doesn't take the time to actually learn the rules than you're going to run into problems. Yeah, rules are scattered but at the same time... if you're playing a Dwarven Miner, than why do you need to know what your Faster Than Light flying speed is or what penalties you suffer when in space? The short answer is you don't. So instead, those rules are listed where they will be relevant.

Yes and no. I'm pretty certain that I'm not in the minority who thinks they way that I do, but everyone has their own opinion. Regardless, I still think Rifts has the best setting bar-none in RPGs today. If you (OP) as the GM are willing to put the work in to make the game playable, then I can't see why you and your gamers wouldn't have a fantastic time. Personally I don't think Rifts is built for the novice GM; you have to be think on your toes, and be willing to house-rule the game at a moment's notice. With all of this being said if I could find a group or players willing to play I would do it in a heartbeat :D
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Jack Chriax: RPA Pilot, Killing Machine, Samuel Jackson Impersonator?

Unread post by calto40k »

Really hope the OP found what he needed before this thread got derailed... I would suggest going with Rifts or RT due to the space travel, never really went into space in SR
Member of the Modern Cabal of 24

The stupid it burns it burns us preciouses

We are Legion and we will be heard
earthhawk

calto40k wrote:Really hope the OP found what he needed before this thread got derailed... I would suggest going with Rifts or RT due to the space travel, never really went into space in SR

I would suggest that he try Gurps or even Iron Kingdoms.
calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador

I would never suggest GURPS, since it was just another publisher making cash off of other peoples' already published work and just tooling it over to an extremely simplified system, but that is just my opinion.

flatline
Knight

calto40k wrote:I would never suggest GURPS, since it was just another publisher making cash off of other peoples' already published work and just tooling it over to an extremely simplified system, but that is just my opinion.

GURPS is an excellent system. It has its warts, but it's extremely well thought out and is mechanically superior to most other systems out there.

Even though the majority of my playing has been with other systems, GURPS is generally the system I compare all other systems to.

--flatline

Subjugator

As far as systems go, I've played a couple of dozen, but Savage Worlds/Deadlands is the best I've ever played.

/Sub

Icefalcon
Champion

Subjugator wrote:As far as systems go, I've played a couple of dozen, but Savage Worlds/Deadlands is the best I've ever played.

/Sub

I hear that from several people. I am definitely going to have a serious look at this system.
Icefalcon
Champion

flatline wrote:
calto40k wrote:I would never suggest GURPS, since it was just another publisher making cash off of other peoples' already published work and just tooling it over to an extremely simplified system, but that is just my opinion.

GURPS is an excellent system. It has its warts, but it's extremely well thought out and is mechanically superior to most other systems out there.

Even though the majority of my playing has been with other systems, GURPS is generally the system I compare all other systems to.

--flatline

I still have some of my old GURPS books. I might have to pull them out and see how they compare now that I am older.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

GURPS is THE best system for making characters, or was, back when I was into it.
And it has the best balance between logic and simplicity when it comes to rules.

But it was somehow never very fun to play.

Subjugator

Icefalcon wrote:
Subjugator wrote:As far as systems go, I've played a couple of dozen, but Savage Worlds/Deadlands is the best I've ever played.

/Sub

I hear that from several people. I am definitely going to have a serious look at this system.

It's fast, fast, fast and still covers what you need to play.

I adore it.

calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador

I'll take it that my area just sucks for gaming, but also I'm not too fond of point based systems. I will say it was a breeze making characters with GURPS just disappointing to find out the setting material to the series I bought was from a different game company and then having to convert the character over ended up in me just making a new character that night and then dropping even more cash on the original product. Guess that could be why I wouldn't suggest it, but won't discourage people from trying it.

calto40k
Megaversal® Ambassador

But I would suggest if the OP does go with rifts that they get the RUE and probably the phaseworld books so they could do a space campaign, Robotech is also a great idea.

Return to “Rifts®”