True Atlanteans and religion/gods.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daeglan
Adventurer

True Atlanteans and religion/gods.

Unread post by Daeglan »

So I was reading Conversion 2 And notice True Atlanteans have worked with several gods. What do you think True Atlanteans think of religion? Are they religious? If so what kind?

Please leave real world religious talk out please.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: True Atlanteans and religion/gods.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Always seemed to me that they are mostly Greek in culture and religion. I just have them worship the greek pantheon (to greater or lesser extents depending on the individuals) and call it a day.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Always seemed to me that they are mostly Greek in culture and religion. I just have them worship the greek pantheon (to greater or lesser extents depending on the individuals) and call it a day.

How do you think having met the gods would change the way one would approach religion?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Daeglan wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Always seemed to me that they are mostly Greek in culture and religion. I just have them worship the greek pantheon (to greater or lesser extents depending on the individuals) and call it a day.

How do you think having met the gods would change the way one would approach religion?

I don't think it would in any way it's not already effected by that. It's not like all atlantians met with the gods. A few atlantians interacted with gods and spoke about it to the rest. This would be no more influencing than the saints and mythological figures of other human's religions.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Daeglan wrote:

Ummm....you wouldn't be an Atheist?
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

cornholioprime wrote:
Daeglan wrote:

There's an easier way to make sure there's no atheists.

1. Have a shifter open a rift to summon a demon
2. Throw guy through before it closes.

alternately

1. summon any demon with a natural dimensional teleportation power
2. Order them to grab somebody you have restrained
3. tell them to return to hell with what they are holding

Technically, on Rifts, you don't have to die to get sent to hell, or even be a bad person, just **** off the wrong guy.

Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Daeglan wrote:

There's an easier way to make sure there's no atheists.

1. Have a shifter open a rift to summon a demon
2. Throw guy through before it closes.

alternately

1. summon any demon with a natural dimensional teleportation power
2. Order them to grab somebody you have restrained
3. tell them to return to hell with what they are holding

Technically, on Rifts, you don't have to die to get sent to hell, or even be a bad person, just **** off the wrong guy.

Well you don't have faith when you have proof of godliness. You KNOW.

I am just curious how that would effect a society and culture and how religion would work with a group like that.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

I don't see them worshipping most gods - they've got a pretty good culture with lots of magic and psionics taken for granted, almost demigods themselves. They'd probably see gods just as powerful foes or friends.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Eclipse wrote:I don't see them worshipping most gods - they've got a pretty good culture with lots of magic and psionics taken for granted, almost demigods themselves. They'd probably see gods just as powerful foes or friends.

See this is what I was pondering. Do they have religion at all or do they think of gods as just other supernatural beings. I could see it in both ways.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

People are capable of making up a whole bunch of things - maybe some Atlanteans have faith in some kind of ultimate creator, and just see the conventional gods as superbeings and AIs as supermonsters.. up to the GM if not specified.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Stonefur

Unread post by Stonefur »

Do we have any source material on the subject?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Zeus wants to gain their [that is, the True Atlanteans'] worship, according to his write up in Conversion Book 2. this would infer that he does not yet have it.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Stonefur

Unread post by Stonefur »

Braden Campbell wrote:Zeus wants to gain their [that is, the True Atlanteans'] worship, according to his write up in Conversion Book 2. this would infer that he does not yet have it.

So i would further infer this infers that they do not worry about religion too much?
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

I'm not aware of relevant source material, but maybe the potential for worship might depend on your clan..

Pepsi Jedi
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Eclipse wrote:I'm not aware of relevant source material, but maybe the potential for worship might depend on your clan..

I have not seen any relevant source material. Other than mentions of True Atlanteans working with some gods int he Pantheons book. Which is what made me curious.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Daeglan wrote:Well you don't have faith when you have proof of godliness. You KNOW.
I don't agree here. There's still having faith in what you think you've seen or what you think you know. People never truly 'know' anything. It's just the standard of proof one applies.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Stonefur wrote:
Braden Campbell wrote:Zeus wants to gain their [that is, the True Atlanteans'] worship, according to his write up in Conversion Book 2. this would infer that he does not yet have it.
So i would further infer this infers that they do not worry about religion too much?
I would infer they do not worship Zeus, rather than that they do not worship. And like Neky, I've always made them practice Greek religion. I've GMed it (not that it quite came up in game) that the Atlanteans spawned the Greeks, with the Spartans being influenced/created by the Aerihman.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I can see the Atlanteans worshipping some of the Greek gods but I'm thinking they might moreso gravitate to Athena/Hermes/Poseidon/Hades type folk. Zeus isn't an ideal role model in many cases.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Tor wrote:I can see the Atlanteans worshipping some of the Greek gods but I'm thinking they might moreso gravitate to Athena/Hermes/Poseidon/Hades type folk. Zeus isn't an ideal role model in many cases.
What stories of Zeus do they have that we do not?

*Edit* Much like the original city-states of Greece, I imagine the clans have differing groupings of deities whom they worship. I expect little overlap between Skellian and Aerihman, for example.
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Tor wrote:I can see the Atlanteans worshipping some of the Greek gods but I'm thinking they might moreso gravitate to Athena/Hermes/Poseidon/Hades type folk. Zeus isn't an ideal role model in many cases.

what more do they need? i mean, this is a Deity that ate a woman he was shagging because she was predicted to conceive someone more powerful than him. a guy who raped countless women. who pretended to be a woman's husband in order to sleep with her, then when she had a kid, didn't do anything to help said woman or kid, even while his wife tried to kill both. this is a guy who tried to wipe out and imprison his own relatives, the titans. when a woman refused to attend his wedding, he just turned her into a turtle. despite the fact he fathered like half the greek pantheon with other women, any time someone else so much as looked at hera the wrong way, he invented really nasty ways to eternally torture the person. he practiced infanticide, he had a thing for starting wars...
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

what more do they need? i mean, this is a Deity that ate a woman he was shagging because she was predicted to conceive someone more powerful than him. a guy who raped countless women. who pretended to be a woman's husband in order to sleep with her, then when she had a kid, didn't do anything to help said woman or kid, even while his wife tried to kill both. this is a guy who tried to wipe out and imprison his own relatives, the titans. when a woman refused to attend his wedding, he just turned her into a turtle. despite the fact he fathered like half the greek pantheon with other women, any time someone else so much as looked at hera the wrong way, he invented really nasty ways to eternally torture the person. he practiced infanticide, he had a thing for starting wars...
And those are the stories the Greeks have. Who says the Atlanteans portray him as such a horrific king. But if the Greek stories are right, why Athena? She let her priestess get rapes then instead of punishing the rapist, she turned the victim into a monster so hideous her gave petrifies. Hades wanted a wife, so he kidnapped Percephone to get one. Posiedon got around, but not as much as Zeus.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:a Deity that ate a woman he was shagging because she was predicted to conceive someone more powerful than him.
Didn't know of this story, name? Least he learned something from Cronus.

glitterboy2098 wrote:tried to wipe out and imprison his own relatives, the titans
You mean after they supported his dad, who tried to eat him and his siblings? About the only Titan we can have sympathy for here is Prometheus, and maybe Hecate, due to opposition/neutrality to that.

glitterboy2098 wrote:when a woman refused to attend his wedding, he just turned her into a turtle
Nothing wrong with turtles, only species that ever got their own RPG.

glitterboy2098 wrote:despite the fact he fathered like half the greek pantheon with other women, any time someone else so much as looked at hera the wrong way, he invented really nasty ways to eternally torture the person.
Does this happen often? To be fair, let's keep in mind that Hera often tried to kill his lovers, so *** for tat. Plus, Hera is pretty warped, eternal torture might be saving her suitors from something.

Considering that Zeus might actually be secretly hiring Eros to hook up Hera with Splynncryth, I don't think he has a problem with her dating these days.

glitterboy2098 wrote:he practiced infanticide
All the rage with Atlanteans.

glitterboy2098 wrote:he had a thing for starting wars...
When you're a god who can bring souls to live with you in the afterlife (be it Valhalla, Tartarus, etc) wars aren't necessarily such an awesome thing. Death is just a venue-changer.

Lost Seraph wrote:atheism (gods are just powerful magic beings, and anyone can become one given enough power and time), to full blown priesthood.
I don't think that's necessarily atheism. If you believe in gods but believe they're powerful beings rather than omnipotent, it's still theism I think. You could think of gods this way and still worship them as a priest. Or you could not think of them as a god and be an atheist priest. All works.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Tor wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:a Deity that ate a woman he was shagging because she was predicted to conceive someone more powerful than him.
Didn't know of this story, name? Least he learned something from Cronus.

look up the birth of Athena. Zues knocks up a lady, then finds out she's supposed to give birth to someone more powerful than him. so he eats her. too late, she was already pregnant, resulting in the whole 'athena birthed from zues's forehead' bit. what happened to the mother is never stated, implication is she stay eaten.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I've always thought the Atlanteans would worship a mixture of the Greek and Egyptian gods - I always think of that song by folk rock troubadour, Donovan: "the great Egyptian age was but a remnant of the Atlantean one." And the pyramids, among other things, feel much more Egyptian than Greek.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Since True Gods in the Palladium Setting grant Priest Powers to their worshipers...and since there isn't really any such thing as an "organized" version of the True Atlantean Priest O.C.C......

.......who is to even say that True Atlanteans worship any gods at all?

Just because you live in a world where Gods are real, that doesn't necessarily mean that you personally have to worship any of them.
Furthermore, except as ultra-powerful allies, they don't really need Gods in the traditional sense, not like Joe Q. Peasant on the Palladium World who just might need the intervention of a Fertility God/Goddess to keep his crops healthy.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

cornholioprime wrote:Since True Gods in the Palladium Setting grant Priest Powers to their worshipers...and since there isn't really any such thing as an "organized" version of the True Atlantean Priest O.C.C......

Just because you live in a world where Gods are real, that doesn't necessarily mean that you personally have to worship any of them.
Furthermore, except as ultra-powerful allies, they don't really need Gods in the traditional sense, not like Joe Q. Peasant on the Palladium World who just might need the intervention of a Fertility God/Goddess to keep his crops healthy.
There are a lot of OCCs missing from the True Atlantean version list. This means nothing. While I grant you, p 16 of WB2 does not include priests, it also predates any priestly OCC in Rifts.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misfit KotLD wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Since True Gods in the Palladium Setting grant Priest Powers to their worshipers...and since there isn't really any such thing as an "organized" version of the True Atlantean Priest O.C.C......

There are a lot of OCCs missing from the True Atlantean version list. This means nothing. While I grant you, p 16 of WB2 does not include priests, it also predates any priestly OCC in Rifts.
The point is that all manner of peoples throughout the Megaverse have Priestly OCCs as a part of their population....but not the Atlanteans (and for that matter, not a whole bunch of people, anywhere, whose powers and abilities and technological levels are above that of, say, 15-16th Century Earth).

And the answer for that is simple: given their mastery of both Science and the Mystical, there's little to nothing that they would gain from being the minion of the gods -at least not what most Gods are willing to provide.
(Not even the Amazons, who get their mystical/hereditary powers from a goddess, are said to actively worship her.)

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

So a race needs explicit priestly OCCs before any portion of that race will have religion?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misfit KotLD wrote:So a race needs explicit priestly OCCs before any portion of that race will have religion?
Of course not.

OBVIOUSLY, there will be at least SOME individual members of any given people who will worship a Deity anyway, and one should by extension expect a smattering of True Atlantean worshipers here and there in the Megaverse.

It's just that the Atlanteans, as a whole, don't need the gods' help (at least not in their day-to-day lives).

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

Not in their day-to-day lives, but as advanced as they are, they'd also be aware of their afterlives too. So while they may not need divine intervention, they may serve gods for causes or to attain a better afterlife. Not everything is about how a god can help now. In fact, that seems a cynical, selfish perspective.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misfit KotLD wrote:Not in their day-to-day lives, but as advanced as they are, they'd also be aware of their afterlives too. So while they may not need divine intervention, they may serve gods for causes or to attain a better afterlife. Not everything is about how a god can help now. In fact, that seems a cynical, selfish perspective.
The other point to be made is that True Atlanteans are far enough up the (mystical) food chain to know EXACTLY what Gods are really like (especially Palladium Gods, where the concept of 'moral entropy' is par for the course even amongst most of the Gods Of Light), and wisely want nothing to do with them....or at least keep them at a friendly, respectable arms' length.

(Besides all that, remember that the Afterlife isn't covered in very great detail in the Palladium Setting.)

Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

cornholioprime wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Not in their day-to-day lives, but as advanced as they are, they'd also be aware of their afterlives too. So while they may not need divine intervention, they may serve gods for causes or to attain a better afterlife. Not everything is about how a god can help now. In fact, that seems a cynical, selfish perspective.
The other point to be made is that True Atlanteans are far enough up the (mystical) food chain to know EXACTLY what Gods are really like (especially Palladium Gods, where the concept of 'moral entropy' is par for the course even amongst most of the Gods Of Light), and wisely want nothing to do with them....or at least keep them at a friendly, respectable arms' length.

(Besides all that, remember that the Afterlife isn't covered in very great detail in the Palladium Setting.)
There's a lot left out in Palladium.

Also remember, religion is frequently passed down through families. In most cases one adopts the religion of one's parents/society. I have seen the argument religion is outdated. In spite of this, religion is still most obviously present. Why would Atlanteans, who are essentially human, not have religion?
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misfit KotLD wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

There's a lot left out in Palladium.

Also remember, religion is frequently passed down through families. In most cases one adopts the religion of one's parents/society. I have seen the argument religion is outdated. In spite of this, religion is still most obviously present. Why would Atlanteans, who are essentially human, not have religion?
Again, because just about everything they could possibly want, they cam already get without the help of a god and then some (with the obvious exception of the strength-in-numbers that a backing Pantheon could potentially provide).

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Zues knocks up a lady, then finds out she's supposed to give birth to someone more powerful than him. so he eats her. too late, she was already pregnant, resulting in the whole 'athena birthed from zues's forehead' bit.
Ah yeah, I usually only remember the last part of that story.

Apparently the lady was "Metis" a goddess herself, of crafty thought and wisdom.

Seeing as how Zeus's siblings survived so long in Cronus' belly, we might assume that Metis herself survived in Zeus' belly. Especially since, after Athena was born, he didn't have much of a reason to keep her in there any more.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer

cornholioprime wrote:Again, because just about everything they could possibly want, they cam already get without the help of a god and then some (with the obvious exception of the strength-in-numbers that a backing Pantheon could potentially provide).
So, you're just going to ignore the actual point of my post. Gottcha.
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Misfit KotLD wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Again, because just about everything they could possibly want, they cam already get without the help of a god and then some (with the obvious exception of the strength-in-numbers that a backing Pantheon could potentially provide).
Not at all.

I got it perfectly.

The only thing that you seem to be missing, in the case of the True Atlanteans as a whole.....is that they don't really need what the Gods of Palladium have to offer them.

And Religion, at its most basic level, revolves around a God, or Gods, taking care of the needs of those whom they would have worship them.
Even in the real world, if we had at our disposal the technological and mystical knowledge of the True Atlanteans (i.e., they know what most Gods are really like behind the P.R. image that they've crafted for themselves, as well as the meager rewards that Palladium Gods offer to their subjects), we'd probably eschew the worship of gods as well.

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

cornholioprime wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Not at all.

I got it perfectly.

The only thing that you seem to be missing, in the case of the True Atlanteans as a whole.....is that they don't really need what the Gods of Palladium have to offer them.

And Religion, at its most basic level, revolves around a God, or Gods, taking care of the needs of those whom they would have worship them.
Even in the real world, if we had at our disposal the technological and mystical knowledge of the True Atlanteans (i.e., they know what most Gods are really like behind the P.R. image that they've crafted for themselves, as well as the meager rewards that Palladium Gods offer to their subjects), we'd probably eschew the worship of gods as well.

You've an...unusual way of looking at the relationship of gods with the people that worship them. It seems that you think people only worship gods because they get something tangible out of it, like goods or services when there are other reasons for worship than that. One man reason in real life is the belief that one might continue on in some form after death, with some afterlife where they can enjoy eternal rewards (or those deemed evil suffering eternally for their actions).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Nightmask wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Not at all.

I got it perfectly.

You've an...unusual way of looking at the relationship of gods with the people that worship them. It seems that you think people only worship gods because they get something tangible out of it, like goods or services when there are other reasons for worship than that. One man reason in real life is the belief that one might continue on in some form after death, with some afterlife where they can enjoy eternal rewards (or those deemed evil suffering eternally for their actions).

And in real life as people become more educated they follow religion less. And in the True Atlantean case they have people who have met and worked with the men behind the curtain as it were. And with the fact that true atlanteans can live very long lives. I think rewards after death hold less sway.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Well one of the main issues is that since Palladium doesnt have an afterlife ruled by gods in canon.....what do the gods have to offer for their worship really? There is no afterlife, magic or science replicates virutually all the powers the gods offer....so yah, there will be religion for some, but the strongest drives for it from the realworld (control over nature, life after death) won't necisarially be there. Of course this is just my opinion.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Daeglan wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Not at all.

I got it perfectly.

And in real life as people become more educated they follow religion less. And in the True Atlantean case they have people who have met and worked with the men behind the curtain as it were. And with the fact that true atlanteans can live very long lives. I think rewards after death hold less sway.

Not sure what real life you're referring to, as it certainly doesn't look like people are somehow turning from religion as they get more educated. Education has nothing to do with whether or not people are religious, people manage just fine being lawyers, scientists (like Einstein), doctors, astronauts, etc and still being deeply religious. Doesn't matter how long you live either, people in general are still going to fear that unknown about death rather than just think it no big deal that 'well I've lived a long life time to die and come to a final end as worm food'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

cornholioprime wrote:True Atlanteans as a whole.. don't really need what the Gods of Palladium have to offer them.
Resurrection? Assistance? Protection from other gods? 'Need' is a murky subject to establish but I think that they could certainly benefit from gods. Though it might not be worth the costs.

eliakon wrote:Palladium doesnt have an afterlife ruled by gods
Don't they? We do know that gods eventually (Utu willing) get the souls of their worshippers after death. They do something with those. Perhaps the afterlife is when a god will resurrect a dead worshipper for life exclusively in their new dimension?

In particular, there is somewhat of an afterlife that Demons and Deevils experience, what with how they are sent back home to be regrown after their deaths.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Nightmask wrote:You've an...unusual way of looking at the relationship of gods with the people that worship them.
The gods in real life, or the gods in Palladium publications?

Because we're discussing those (fickle) deities, not the arguably nicer ones that real people worship.

As well as the rewards that the Palladium Gods offer, not the ones worshiped in the real world.
It seems that you think people only worship gods because they get something tangible out of it, like goods or services when there are other reasons for worship than that.
The Gods worshiped in Palladium as well as the ones worshiped in real life offer both tangible and intangible rewards.

The "problem" with the Gods of the Palladium setting, is that the tangible benefits that they offer in this life are metaphysical chump change to beings with the power and knowledge of the True Atlanteans.....and as for the afterlife in the Palladium setting....

...it isn't just that the Afterlife isn't covered in great detail, it's that it seems to have been deliberately left out of the Books for the most part (with a handful of very vague exceptions).
Even the vast vast vast majority beings that in the real world are called "ghosts," are really nothing more than ethereal, ectoplasmic entities that have latched onto the psychic essences of the departed and only "think" that they are the person who once lived.

The Gods of the Palladium setting can't offer the True Atlanteans much of use in this world, and the Authors, apparently, deliberately shy away from talking much about the next level of existence....so the deities of the Megaverse can't even (officially) promise them anything in the afterlife. Nor do these gods even seem to have that much of any real capability (or even inclination) to punish evildoing True Atlanteans when 'salvation' is just a random dimension hop or two away.

So if a sufficiently advanced magical/technological society doesn't need the physical benefits that the Gods of the Palladium Megaverse has to offer, and if they don't need the metaphysical benefits either (not to mention the potential eternal consequences of being 'bad' by the standards of the aforementioned deities), what's the point of joining up?

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tor wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:True Atlanteans as a whole.. don't really need what the Gods of Palladium have to offer them.
Resurrection? Assistance? Protection from other gods? 'Need' is a murky subject to establish but I think that they could certainly benefit from gods. Though it might not be worth the costs.
All things that a super-faithful Priest MIGHT be granted in rare circumstances.....and IF the (Palladium) god that your priest is talking to got up on the right side of bed that morning and IF that god is paying attention to you or your religious group or even your planet that day.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

These are Atlanteans though. Zeus would be there at the snap of the fingers of any fertile-looking Atlantean chick.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

The_Livewire wrote:When your people have met Zeus, and have fought Splyncryth, what's the difference between a shifter and a priest?
:lol: :ok: :lol:

Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

The_Livewire wrote:When your people have met Zeus, and have fought Splyncryth, what's the difference between a shifter and a priest?

Propaganda.

That reminds me - A shifter, a witch and a priest walk into a bar.. I've forgotten the rest, but trust me it was pretty funny ;)

Pepsi Jedi
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Eclipse wrote:

Propaganda.

That reminds me - A shifter, a witch and a priest walk into a bar.. I've forgotten the rest, but trust me it was pretty funny ;)

:lol:
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Not reading the original post or any of the other replies.
GREEK PANTHEON
That is all. 8-)

Despite prolly having wine & grapes with the avatars of said gods a few times, the Atlanteans would STILL worship this pantheon, even after so many tens of thousands of years.
Why?

MUTUAL respect.

Though most of the Olympians feel that a mortal is a mortal is a mortal (re; good for amuesment and feeding ego's / divine powers), the Atlanteans persevered through a cataclysm that would have had the Olympians contracting a migraine. Thus; respect from on high down to the 'squishies'

And the Atlanteans for the Gods? Okay zeus is a bit of a douche, and Ares REALLY needs to calm down, but Appolo, Artemis, Athena and Haephestus would still be patrons just because of how much the Atlanteans have accomplished. They have SPACE colonies now in some 'verses. So yeah, a little divine knowlede to get a leg-up on the Sploogies and the Kreeghor (in Phaseworld) once in a while to priests & priestesses and the Atlanteans would be indebted to their gods. Plus a few "visions" here & there don't hurt keeping the kids happy and in line.

My two deci-creds on the subject.

Keep it surreal folks; I'm gonna walk from the thread before some of y'all turn it into a theological debate. :D :ok:
Happy gaming! :love:
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

DhAkael wrote:Not reading the original post or any of the other replies.
GREEK PANTHEON
That is all. 8-)

Despite prolly having wine & grapes with the avatars of said gods a few times, the Atlanteans would STILL worship this pantheon, even after so many tens of thousands of years.
Why?
Someone needs to read his copy of "Pantheons of the Megaverse."

In the "Relations to other Pantheons" section.

Zeus HOPES that, eventually, he can get them to start worshiping him (and that's the only reason why he is helping them now).
Eventually.

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

cornholioprime wrote:
DhAkael wrote:Not reading the original post or any of the other replies.
GREEK PANTHEON
That is all. 8-)

Why?
Someone needs to read his copy of "Pantheons of the Megaverse."

In the "Relations to other Pantheons" section.

Zeus HOPES that, eventually, he can get them to start worshiping him (and that's the only reason why he is helping them now).
Eventually.

ah..my bad...I sold of my Pantheons ages ago (was useless for my purposes; if you give something stats, you can kill it. Ergo I don't have stats, gods can't be killed, natch ;) ).
Well, whatever. canon, GM fiat *shrug*
Not caring at all.

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound

Return to “Rifts®”