NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: NEW POWERS!

Unread post by taalismn »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Leatherneck (Major) by Stone Gargoyleh

:D
"I just feel better with a good fight! More myself, more me, more alive!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Leatherneck (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

:D
"I just feel better with a good fight! More myself, more me, more alive!"
Glad you like it. I have been wanting to do it as a bio-armor type power for a while, but it was kind of in the middle in terms of being a major or a minor. GC's combat bonuses helped move it to being a major, which I forgot to credit her with, my bad. It has been edited to give credit where due now.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I forgot to credit her with, my bad. It has been edited to give credit where due now.
I appreciate that. I will try and edit my Mercenary Ethics majors when possible, just not sure what to do to get them up to snuff.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I forgot to credit her with, my bad. It has been edited to give credit where due now.
I appreciate that. I will try and edit my Mercenary Ethics majors when possible, just not sure what to do to get them up to snuff.
Just beef them up a bit more. Remember, one Major is generally worth three or four minors, and with the limitation you place you can put even more in there to balance it out.
I will be working on the Mercenary Power Category as well, only available to selfish and evil characters, of course. It will have to be somewhat like the MegaHero Category, I would think, with the vulnerability being related to their need for money and greed.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[I will be working on the Mercenary Power Category as well, only available to selfish and evil characters, of course. It will have to be somewhat like the MegaHero Category, I would think, with the vulnerability being related to their need for money and greed.

"Greed is right. Greed works."---Gordon Gekko
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

With thanks to Deific NMI for his suggestion on fixed saving throws.

Migraine(Minor)
“Stupid primitives! You are no match for my superior mental cognitive abilEEEYYOOOWWWWwwwwthepainthepainmybrainburns!!!”

This is the ability to instantly inflict intense, blinding-pain, headaches on other people. It is particularly effective against psychics who fail their save rolls, as the power attacks their powers at the source.
Range: 60 ft +20 ft per level of experience
Duration: 1 minute per level of experience
Effect: Victims of Migraine lose Initiative, HALF APMs, are -4 to Perception, Strike, Dodge, and Parry rolls, and are -20% to skill rolls. Any attempt to use psionic abilities while under the influence of this power only DOUBLES the penalties and extends the duration by an extra minute per attempt.
Note: Immediate application of a headache-specific analgesic will mitigate the effects of this power somewhat, HALVING the duration. However, the victim will still be -1 on initiative for 1d6 minutes as a result of lingering discomfiture.
Save: Victims must save as listed below to stave off the effects of Migraine:
Minor/Non-Psychics: 10 or higher
Latent/Major Psychics: 12 or higher
Master/Natural Psychics: 15 or higher
Limitation: Ironically, the superbeing cannot cast this ability if they are themselves under the influence of a headache medication.
Last edited by taalismn on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Migraine(Minor)
“Stupid primitives! You are no match for my superior mental cognitive abilEEEYYOOOWWWWwwwwthepainthepainmybrainburns!!!”

This is the ability to instantly inflict intense, blinding-pain, headaches on other people. It is particularly effective against psychics who fail their save rolls, as the power attacks their powers at the source.
Effect: Victims of Migraine lose Initiative, HALF APMs, are -4 to Perception, Strike, Dodge, and Parry rolls, and are -20% to skill rolls. Any attempt to use psionic abilities while under the influence of this power only DOUBLES the penalties and extends the duration by an extra minute per attempt.
Note: Immediate application of a headache-specific analgesic will mitigate the effects of this power somewhat, HALVING the duration. However, the victim will still be -1 on initiative for 1d6 minutes as a result of lingering discomfiture.
Save: Victims must save under their Mental Endurance rating to stave off the effects of Migraine.
Vulnerability: Ironically, the superbeing cannot cast this ability if they are themselves under the influence of a headache medication.
Shouldn't it read "limitation" rather than "vulnerability"? Otherwise, looks good, T.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Shouldn't it read "limitation" rather than "vulnerability"? Otherwise, looks good, T.

Fixed. Thank you. Sounds much better now. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Save: Victims must save under their Mental Endurance rating to stave off the effects of Migraine.
Limitation: Ironically, the superbeing cannot cast this ability if they are themselves under the influence of a headache medication.
As there is no canon rules for "saving under an attribute", there should be a static target number to save vs. As this power affects psychics a bit more then normal people, I suggest the following:
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
taalismn
Priest

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

As there is no canon rules for "saving under an attribute", there should be a static target number to save vs. As this power affects psychics a bit more then normal people, I suggest the following:

Point taken, suggestion applied. :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Point taken, suggestion applied. :)

Now you just have to do a Major version, maybe affecting a larger group of people.:) Make it a ranged effect over all those within a certain diameter. Increase the duration to while in range of the character.
taalismn
Priest

(deleted and moved)
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

taalismn wrote:Not a Power per say, but something you might take to get an extra (Minor) Power:

Disadvantage: Hair Toing (Minor)
“GAAAHHH!!!”-TOING!-
“Scared you, did I?”
“...N-nno....whatever gave you that idea?!”
“Your sudden ‘fro sez otherwise.”

This is the disadvantage of having animated and expressive hair. When the character is agitated, shocked, or frightened, their hair stands up on end in the classic ‘poff’ of cartoons. This means the superbeing will have a hard time concealing their emotional state and will suffer a penalty of -4 to their M.A. when attempting to lie, or -3 to Horror/Awe Factor when attempting to appear imposing with the hair toinged, and -20% to maintaining Disguise skills. If done under a helmet or other head covering, the head gear will be thrown off(or, if it is well-secured, will take 1d4 SD damage, and the superbeing gets a painful headache; -1 to initiative, -5% to skills, and -1 to perception rolls for 1d4 melees). Hair stands on end for about 5 seconds.

You could also go for the spontaneous hair color change - shocking white.. Or an expanded power wherein when the character gets scared, all of the color drains out of their face (almost albino-like), their hair turns white like the driven snow, and the 'toing' happens to their hair as well.
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Not a Power per say, but something you might take to get an extra (Minor) Power:

Disadvantage: Hair Toing (Minor)
“GAAAHHH!!!”-TOING!-
“Scared you, did I?”
“...N-nno....whatever gave you that idea?!”
“Your sudden ‘fro sez otherwise.”

This is the disadvantage of having animated and expressive hair. When the character is agitated, shocked, or frightened, their hair stands up on end in the classic ‘poff’ of cartoons. This means the superbeing will have a hard time concealing their emotional state and will suffer a penalty of -4 to their M.A. when attempting to lie, or -3 to Horror/Awe Factor when attempting to appear imposing with the hair toinged, and -20% to maintaining Disguise skills. If done under a helmet or other head covering, the head gear will be thrown off(or, if it is well-secured, will take 1d4 SD damage, and the superbeing gets a painful headache; -1 to initiative, -5% to skills, and -1 to perception rolls for 1d4 melees). Hair stands on end for about 5 seconds.

Wouldn't this be more properly placed in the New Achilles Heels thread?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[Wouldn't this be more properly placed in the New Achilles Heels thread?

Sorry, didn't realize there was one...moving it accordingly.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Mephisto wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:This version of the major version of Mercenary Ethics combines the minor version with Bulletproof Skin by Stone Gargoyle.

Mercenary (Major) by Gryphon Chick and Stone Gargoyle

The character gains bonuses to combat only when they are getting PAID for their services. Payment is the agreed amount for the services. If the object were valuable enough, it would be accepted as payment. Whatever the agreed services are that are paid for get the bonuses. The combat bonuses only apply to the services or mission objectives decided upon.

1.Bulletproof Skin: This is based off of the second subability of the Bulletproof major power in PU3. The character's skin is bulletproof and resistant to damage. No projectile, rocket shell, grenade, arrow or thrown object can hurt him, not even armor piercing bullets, explosive bullets, grenades or explosive shells. The character simply absorbs them momentarily upon contact, neutralizing them and causing them to fall harmlessly to the ground. The character is still susceptible to poisons, toxins, disease, fire. heat, plasma, electricity, lasers and all energy based attacks, psionics and magic. Even ordinary punches, kicks and hand held weapons such as a knife or club inflict damage, although all kinetic based attacks such as these only do half damage.
Bonuses:
+1d4 PE
+1d4X10+10 SDC

2. Other Bonuses:
+4 initiative, plus one to initiative at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15
+2 to strike at level one, plus an additional +1 to strike per level starting at level 2
Gains Sniper skill
+20% to save vs. coma/death

4. Limitations: The character must receive payment in advance before the power will activate.

While I can understand why it was named Mercenary, it wouldn't really be overpowering to just rename it and lose the limitation. Also you're missing a #3 bullet point. I'd probably put #3 as Heightened Sense of Balance and call the power Battle Ready.

I you were using my soda power would soda pop work as payment?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Since I have been working on air-based skills, I also decided to work up some more aerial powers. This is the first of several I am working on.

Skyfall (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character with this power never need worry about falling out of a plane, off a building, etc., as it automatically forms a protective sphere around him if he is more than twice his own height in feet off the ground. When falling, the protective field appears, taking one full melee round to activate, and immediately deactivates when reaching the ground or other surface, also taking a full melee round to deactivate. The sphere will hold the character and anyone within a ten foot radius of him inside it, the sphere forming at the ten foot radius point, with the character in the center, enveloping all around the character, up to a limit of 1000 pounds, plus 100 pounds per level of experience. It will not form if the 10 foot radius point is intersected/blocked. It holds enough oxygen for ten minutes of air for one person, plus one minute per level of experience, which is less if divided among several people. The sphere has an SDC equal to the character's ME attribute number X5, plus 5 points of SDC per level of experience. When falling, it lowers the character to the ground at a rate of 10 feet per second. If the SDc is depleted, the sphere will disappear and the character will fall at a normal speed of descent until the sphere reforms itself. When falling from more than 10,000 feet, the character will suffer 1d6 points of damage for every 10,000 feet fallen upon landing due to the impact in spite of being in the sphere. If created in a weightless environment such as space, the sphere will not move but rather float in space until the character is rescued or the oxygen runs out. The character cannot control the direction of the sphere, increase or decrease its rate of descent, nor activate it when not falling.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Since I have been working on air-based skills, I also decided to work up some more aerial powers. This is the first of several I am working on.

Skyfall (minor) by Stone Gargoyle

The character with this power never need worry about falling out of a plane, off a building, etc., as it automatically forms a protective sphere around him if he is more than twice his own height in feet off the ground. When falling, the protective field appears, taking one full melee round to activate, and immediately deactivates when reaching the ground or other surface, also taking a full melee round to deactivate. The sphere will hold the character and anyone within a ten foot radius of him inside it, the sphere forming at the ten foot radius point, with the character in the center, enveloping all around the character, up to a limit of 1000 pounds, plus 100 pounds per level of experience. It will not form if the 10 foot radius point is intersected/blocked. It holds enough oxygen for ten minutes of air for one person, plus one minute per level of experience, which is less if divided among several people. The sphere has an SDC equal to the character's ME attribute number X5, plus 5 points of SDC per level of experience. When falling, it lowers the character to the ground at a rate of 10 feet per second. If the SDc is depleted, the sphere will disappear and the character will fall at a normal speed of descent until the sphere reforms itself. When falling from more than 10,000 feet, the character will suffer 1d6 points of damage for every 10,000 feet fallen upon landing due to the impact in spite of being in the sphere. If created in a weightless environment such as space, the sphere will not move but rather float in space until the character is rescued or the oxygen runs out. The character cannot control the direction of the sphere, increase or decrease its rate of descent, nor activate it when not falling.

"And I'm free, I'm free fallin'" (Tom Petty) :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by gottork1967 »

is there a compiled list of all the powers in this thread? or complete net book?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gottork1967 wrote:is there a compiled list of all the powers in this thread? or complete net book?
Not a complete compilation, but the powers have been gathered and sorted onto a wiki. The Black Vault Wiki also contains other material as well.

http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

thank you so much for this,so some that are listed are not actually there?

also if I have a idea on a super power should I post it and the effects here and see if someone can help me design it so its not over powered?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gottork1967 wrote:thank you so much for this,so some that are listed are not actually there?

also if I have a idea on a super power should I post it and the effects here and see if someone can help me design it so its not over powered?

The wiki was created with the idea in mind that creators' rights be honored. Not all powers are listed there because some of the people who created them either could not be contacted or did not want them posted there. Or because the powers were considered unbalanced and needed work at the time they were posted. Some just have not been posted there because permission is needed. MOST of the powers here are in the wiki, since I myself have put a lot of them there. Out of the thousand some powers listed here, less than a hundred I would say were not included.
As for writing powers, go for it. There is usually plenty of feedback, and I personally like helping with new powers if they are interesting to me.
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

ok since I am still new and getting used to the forums, where can I ask questions about how certain powers work, for instance how would a person use adhesion with super speed or extraordinary human speed, could they literally run up and do the same things the masters of speed whiplash does stuff, run at top speeds and stop breaking peoples backs?

This is just a random question but these are the kinds of questions I am looking for answers too
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gottork1967 wrote:ok since I am still new and getting used to the forums, where can I ask questions about how certain powers work, for instance how would a person use adhesion with super speed or extraordinary human speed, could they literally run up and do the same things the masters of speed whiplash does stuff, run at top speeds and stop breaking peoples backs?

This is just a random question but these are the kinds of questions I am looking for answers too
There is a search function at the bottom of the page in the Heroes Unlimited section of the forum where you can enter search terms to see if your question has been asked before. Otherwise, just post the question to a new topic thread. Don't ask the question in an existing thread that is unrelated, that derails the thread.
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

ok thanks for the help
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Amplify: [Minor]

Get ready for the boom!

The character can draw on his inner reserves of power to enhance his attacks and abilities.
The character spends one action setting this up, drawing on his reserves. During this time he is relatively defenseless, until his next action he can perform automatic defences at -4, (non-automatic defences cost an action, and prevent this power) However he enjoys a +10 SDC bonus (+5 per level) during the time he starts this power and the time it goes off.

On his next action, he unleashes his reserves. If an attack, then it is a critical strike. if it is an action that is not an attack (a jump across a chasm, a death touch, a psionic power etc) then the effect is increased by 100% OR the attending saving throw is reduced by 2.

Once completed, the character has the option to continue expending his reserves, using more actions on his target. The character simply declares it so and he performs the action again. In the case of an attack, attack rolls defence rolls and saving throws are made again (And again) and the results applied. Static defences (such as saving throws and Armour ratings are reduced by 2 for each additional instance. If the action is more results based (bashing down a door, leaping over a moving car etc) then the effects are increased by another 100% each time the action is 'repeated'.

Disempower [Minor]

No powers in my bar means 'No POWERS IN MY BAR!

The character generates a field that interferes with superhuman abilities. The field is technically invisible, but can be felt by individuals with superhuman abilities as a 'tingling'.
Range: a radius of 25 feet plus 10 feet per level, centered on the character.
Duration: as long as concentration is maintained, and the character expends one action per round maintaining it.
Effect: all superhuman abilities that need an action to use require the target to make a saving throw (16+ ME bonuses apply) or it fizzles. All abilities that are constant or last longer than the span of an action require that the user expends an action every round to maintain it. The Character with this ability is not immune with the notable exception of this power.

Will shield [Minor]

Ýour powers are formidable, but your will is not as as strong as mine!

The character can expend an action to create a shield around himself of pure willpower. This visible shield is technically indestructible but is only as formidable as the characters will.
The character may spend an action to use this ability (which can be used as a parry) and makes a saving throw adding his ME bonus (or his saving throw vs psionics) The result is the character's AR until the end of the round. Attacks that bypass this AR must batter down a number of SDC equal to the characters ME score (+2 per level) before damage is applied to the character.
The field lasts until dropped, renewed or the end of the melee round. if the character renews it, the SDC bonus also replenishes.
This will shield is not a force field. It does not prevent actual physical contact, so acids, gasses and poisons are still able to affect the character.

Other abilities +1d4+1 to ME

Wraithtouch [Major]

'Face it Romero...you are just plain out of touch'

The character can cause targets to become ghostly and wraithlike, keeping them unharmed but ineffectual. The character need only touch a target and expend two actions. The target makes a saving throw (16+, PE bonuses apply) or he turns to a thick fog - Clothing may go, but armour and equipment will not (about 5-10lbs of worn garments). The Target remains a thick fog for 2 melee rounds per level, though targets may make a new saving throw every round to become solid (takes 2 actions, 16+ required).

a Fog like target see's his spd reduced to 5 and his PS reduced to 2. He is effectively weightless and suffers from all the inconveniences of his new form (high winds for example). as a fog he cannot pass through solid objects (and cannot be hurt by physical force) but remains vulnerable to energy attacks ( half damage)

The character can affect inanimate objects as well (like an opponent's body armour). he can affect 25Lbs plus 5 lbs per level and must be able to affect the whole object. Objects remain fog like for double their normal duration.

Energy armour [Minor]

'Have I ever told you that I just LOVE playing with fire!'

The character can convert energy into a solid shield around his body. by expending an action when contacted with a source of energy, the character converts that energy into a form fitting shield of energy with an SDC equal to the character's PE, plus the damage dealt. this energy shield persists for 2 melee rounds per level. The character takes half damage from energy, and no damage from any source of energy that he has a formed a shield from.

Ressurrect [Major]

Çome back to us'

The character can return the dead to life. By touching a corpse for one minute and halving his HP total (minimum 5HP) the character can reanimate that corpse as a living being with 1D4 HP and one less PE.

1) restoration of the dead. a badly damaged corpse requires extra energy to restore. the basic power allows the body to heal back to normal functionality, but it does not repair any specific mutilations. To repair or replace a lost organ or limb the character must expend another 5 HP.

2) Simple Resurrection. The body is restored to life, but the mind does not return. All superpowers are lost and the target loses 1D4 from IQ ME and MA and skill performance is at -10%. Aside from this, the target is pretty much the man (or woman) he or she was before they died.

3) Complex resurrection: The body is returned to life and powers (if any) remain but his level is reduced by one. ME and PE are reduced by 1D4 each.

4) Empowered rebirth: The body is restored to life but continues to decay. Target is restored with full HP and SDC and all powers function at 2 levels higher, but the target's alignment moves one 'step towards diabolic evil. each week the target loses 1D4 HP from his permanent total. The character does not heal in the conventional sense either. If he wants to heal he must heal using a power (typical regeneration/healing factor will not function) or seek medical treatment (-20% to the roll. heal as if being treated medically). The 1D4 HP loss each week is irreversible.

5) Raise as zombie: the target rises as a mindless zombie. It obeys the character but possesses only rudimentary intelligence. SDC is 50 (+5 per level) and HTH abilities remain. Powers function at half their normal power.

Viral armour [Minor]

'The cancer....it consumes me, but gives me strength'

The character can use any disease or virus in his body as a weapon.

1) Natural defences. as an action, the character can cause the disease in his body to manfest as a slick and disquieting form of body armour. The AR is equal to the saving throw of the disease in question and provides an SDC boost equal to the character's PE plus the saving throw target for the disease. The armour usually has a number of spikes or blades on it's surface that inflict 2D4 damage. The character's PB score reduces by 4 when he uses this power's aspect.

2) sickening touch: when the character touches another target while his armour is active, (even in combat) then that target must make a saving throw (14+ PE bonuses apply) or come down with a diluted strain of that disease. the target loses 1 action per melee round and -2 to all combat actions (and -10% to all skill use) while infected (2D4 melee rounds)

3) other bonuses. +1 PE. While not immune to disease, he may suspend the effects of any disease for up to one hour per level (Needs a three hour rest between uses) +4 to save vs disease and only suffers half normal penalties. Can infect himself with a generic cold like virus (-1 to all actions -5% to skill use) which grants him an AR of 12.

Bleachbomb [Minor]

The character generates a virulent acid that burns and corrodes leaving obviousl visible marks.
Range 30 feet plus 10 feet per evel.
Attacks: each bleach bomb requires 1 action. a spray requires 3 actions.
Bonus to strike +2 to strike with an aimed shot. +4 to strike with a spray.
Damage 2D4 plus 1D4 per level.
Extra effect: anything hit by the bleachbomb has all colour removed where it splashes (typically a 2 foot wide area, plus 1 foot per level) as the damage is acid, it also pits and scores the area. typically, this leaves objects stained white or grey.
The spray effect unleashes this power like a spray hose. treat as a short burst that can strike up to 1d4 additional targets. splash radius is around 10 feet wide. Unlike a regular burst, the AR of an object is ignored.
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

I can find several mis-uses for those powers.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Mephisto wrote:I like Wraithtouch, it's both powerful and perplexing at the same time. All of the powers have a ton of utility purposes, but Wraithtouch, where you can strip your opponent of powerful items and with an EE power like Electricity or Cold Blast, just hit them without defense...be warned villains.

it's why it's a major

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Torpedo
This power provides the character with enhanced movement and defensive capabilities while underwater only. Unlike Underwater Abilities or Animal Abilities: Fish, this power does not make the character able to breathe underwater and they will need some other source of either oxygen or breathe underwater ability. The character can, while underwater, surround themselves in a “blister” of super-agitated water molecules that not only propels them forward at extremely fast speeds but also act as a protective barrier from attacks while moving in this manner.

Abilities and Bonuses:
1. Torpedo Speed- character can move at speeds up to 500MPH while underwater initially and this speed increases by 50MPH for every level of experience.
Note: This power does not impart any actual Swimming skill to the character- they are not swimming through the water so much as rocketing through it- the character will need to acquire swimming ability normally.
2. Protective Field- character is surrounded by a field of super-agitated water molecules that provides them with a Natural AR 16 and 500 SDC while they are underwater. Field also provides the character with a Depth Tolerance of 5 miles while using this power.
3. Hold Breath- Although not provided with the ability to breathe underwater, the agitation of the water molecules within the character’s field does provide a small amount of extra oxygen for the character, allowing them to hold their breath underwater for 10 minutes at first level plus one additional minute per level of experience after the first.
4. See Underwater- Able to see in UV Spectrum- UV Vision to 300ft. and can also see in the total darkness of the Ocean’s depths- See in Total Darkness 300ft. (Half this range in magical/ power created darkness)
5. Other Bonuses-
+1d6x10 SDC at all times
+1d4 P.E. Attribute
Suffers no underwater combat Penalties and instead has these bonuses underwater:
+1 Attack per melee round at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12
+4 Initiative
+2 Strike
+2 Parry
+6 Dodge and can dodge high speed underwater projectiles like harpoons or actual torpedoes as a normal dodge with no bonuses or penalties to the roll.
+6 Roll with Punch/Fall/Impact
Normal Underwater Punch-1d6 damage
Fast Underwater Punch- 2d6 damage
Torpedo Speed Punch- 5d6 damage
Torpedo Body Block/Ram at speeds over 400MPH do 3d6x10 damage to a roughly man-sized area, meaning that the human torpedo can usually punch through the hulls of most boats/ships, even those with armor. The protective shield takes damage equal to ½ that inflicted on target and this attack counts as 3 attacks for that melee round.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

fbdaury wrote:Torpedo
This power provides the character with enhanced movement and defensive capabilities while underwater only. Unlike Underwater Abilities or Animal Abilities: Fish, this power does not make the character able to breathe underwater and they will need some other source of either oxygen or breathe underwater ability. The character can, while underwater, surround themselves in a “blister” of super-agitated water molecules that not only propels them forward at extremely fast speeds but also act as a protective barrier from attacks while moving in this manner.

Abilities and Bonuses:
1. Torpedo Speed- character can move at speeds up to 500MPH while underwater initially and this speed increases by 50MPH for every level of experience.
Note: This power does not impart any actual Swimming skill to the character- they are not swimming through the water so much as rocketing through it- the character will need to acquire swimming ability normally.
2. Protective Field- character is surrounded by a field of super-agitated water molecules that provides them with a Natural AR 16 and 500 SDC while they are underwater. Field also provides the character with a Depth Tolerance of 5 miles while using this power.
3. Hold Breath- Although not provided with the ability to breathe underwater, the agitation of the water molecules within the character’s field does provide a small amount of extra oxygen for the character, allowing them to hold their breath underwater for 10 minutes at first level plus one additional minute per level of experience after the first.
4. See Underwater- Able to see in UV Spectrum- UV Vision to 300ft. and can also see in the total darkness of the Ocean’s depths- See in Total Darkness 300ft. (Half this range in magical/ power created darkness)
5. Other Bonuses-
+1d6x10 SDC at all times
+1d4 P.E. Attribute
Suffers no underwater combat Penalties and instead has these bonuses underwater:
+1 Attack per melee round at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12
+4 Initiative
+2 Strike
+2 Parry
+6 Dodge and can dodge high speed underwater projectiles like harpoons or actual torpedoes as a normal dodge with no bonuses or penalties to the roll.
Torpedo Body Block/Ram at speeds over 400MPH do 3d6x10 damage to a roughly man-sized area, meaning that the human torpedo can usually punch through the hulls of most boats/ships, even those with armor. The protective shield takes damage equal to ½ that inflicted on target and this attack counts as 3 attacks for that melee round.

You did not designate this as a minor or a major power, though it is obviously a major. It is too strong for a major at that. I would cut back the number of additional attacks, limiting the +1 attack to +1 at levels 1, 4, 8 and 12, and limit the dodge bonus to +4. The SDC bonus could also be reduced to +1d4X10 instead of +1d6X10, which seems a bit high.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Torpedo (Major Power)

Abilities and Bonuses:
5. Other Bonuses-
+1d4x10 SDC at all times
+1d4 P.E. Attribute
+1 Attack per melee round at levels 1, 4, 8, and 12
+4 Initiative
+2 Strike
+2 Parry
+3 Dodge due to this power's focus on propulsion over precision, but can dodge high speed underwater projectiles like harpoons or actual torpedoes as a normal dodge with no bonuses or penalties to the roll.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:You did not designate this as a minor or a major power, though it is obviously a major. It is too strong for a major at that. I would cut back the number of additional attacks, limiting the +1 attack to +1 at levels 1, 4, 8 and 12, and limit the dodge bonus to +4. The SDC bonus could also be reduced to +1d4X10 instead of +1d6X10, which seems a bit high.

Thanks for the feedback- you'll note I revised the power. Some of the bonuses I wasn't sure about as I was basing them off Sonic Speed but then reviewing the power after your post I realized I had intended the power to be an underwater cannonball effect and thus some of the bonuses were not appropriate. I actually lowered the dodge down to +3 instead of the +4 you suggested.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

You could have just edited the original post. :P I did notice the dodge bonus was less. Note I did not say anything about the hefty bonus to roll, which was another you could have cut back on, but the hero might need it if he has to stop suddenly.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:You could have just edited the original post. :P I did notice the dodge bonus was less. Note I did not say anything about the hefty bonus to roll, which was another you could have cut back on, but the hero might need it if he has to stop suddenly.

That had been my intention but I hit reply instead of edit when posting from the original.
taalismn
Priest

Mega-Migraine(Major)
“Let’s ALL have a moment of skull-splitting agony, shall we?”

This is the Major form of the Minor Power Migraine; the ability to instantly inflict intense, blinding-pain, headaches on other people. The power now affects a larger area, allowing the superbeing to inflict misery on multiple targets at the same time, and the effects are more potent. The superbeing also no longer has the susceptibility to analgesics.
Range: 60 ft +20 ft per level of experience. Affects a 10 ft wide area per level of experience.
Effect: Victims of Migraine lose Initiative, HALF APMs, are -6 to Perception, Strike, Dodge, and Parry rolls, and are -30% to skill rolls. Any attempt to use psionic abilities while under the influence of this power only DOUBLES the penalties and extends the duration by an extra minute per attempt.
Save: Victims must save as listed below to stave off the effects of Migraine:

Fright-Fight Reflex(Minor)
“Nice fang act you got there. Makes me want to rip them out of your face!”

The possessor of this power is so hard-minded that in situations that involve a Horror Factor, he or she is not only NOT perturbed by the H.F., but actually gets a charge-up in response, whether through indignation(at what they see as cheap theatrics), rage at the interruption, or sheer determination to set the situation right. Worse yet for a H.F. situation, the power-possessor can, with experience, retain the charged-up state of mind, stretching his rage/anger/aggression into protracted combat, making it a really BAD idea to startle this character.
Range: Self
Duration: 1 melee round(15 seconds) + 1 round per level of experience.
Bonuses:
-Immune to Horror Factor
-+1 to Initiative, +1 to strike, parry, dodge, roll, and disarm
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I like both these powers, T. Thank you for doing the major version of Migraine.

I still have yet to do the couple of parachuting-based powers I had planned, hopefully get around to doing them this weekend.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like both these powers, T. Thank you for doing the major version of Migraine.

I still have yet to do the couple of parachuting-based powers I had planned, hopefully get around to doing them this weekend.

You're welcome.
Likewise, I have a few more ideas for powers for people who react BADLY to being scared. :D :badbad:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like both these powers, T. Thank you for doing the major version of Migraine.

You're welcome.
Likewise, I have a few more ideas for powers for people who react BADLY to being scared. :D :badbad:
Ooh, I can't wait to see them. :mrgreen:
taalismn
Priest

Ask and ye shall receive...

(Edited 12/17 with Stone Gargoyle's suggestions)

Fear Feedback Blast(Minor)

“Your soul is MI*YOUCH!!* -THAT HURT, YOU @#%&ING LITTLE BASTARD!”

The superbeing reacts instinctively to being scared with a reflexive energy blast at the perceived source of the fear-stimulus(a monster, attacker, fearsome-looking gun, etc.), provided they’re in range(so, if that giant alien battlecruiser suddenly hovering overhead just might be out of range), essentially smacking the source in the face with an instant shot. The power of the blast is equivalent to the perceived threat, no more, no less.
The downside of this is that the instant retaliation may immediately mark the FFB possessor as deserving of an attacker’s attention FIRST. It can also reveal the presence/location of a hidden person.
The FFB is an automatic attack and does NOT take any of the superbeing’s regular attacks/actions per melee. However, the superbeing CAN use an APM to consciously quell this power if he thinks/knows he may be in a situation where this power might be activated.
Range: 50 ft +50 ft per level of experience
Damage: Equivalent to the Horror Factor x1d6. So getting scared with a Horror Factor of 12 means the percieved source of the Horror Factor gets hit with 12d6 points of damage.
The nature of the blast is kinetic in nature, ideally pushing the target AWAY. The recioient of the strike are hit with the equivalent of an Energy Expulsion: Force Blast, meaning that there is a 70+the H.F. number % chance of being knocked back 1d4x10 +the H.F. number in ft back from the superbeing. Victims so knocked down lose Initiative and 2 APMs. However, intangible beings and armors/materials resistant to kinetic attacks are unaffected by this power. Forcefields, magical and technological, also block this power.
Duration: Instantaneous, the melee of being frightened
Bonuses: AUTOMATICALLY strikes.
Note: The possessor of this power is still subject to the normal effects of Horror Factor unless they have other modifiers(M.E., OCC bonuses, other superpowers).
Last edited by taalismn on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Ask and ye shall receive...

Fear Feedback Blast(Minor)

“Your soul is MI*YOUCH!!* -THAT HURT, YOU @#%&ING LITTLE BASTARD!”

The superbeing reacts instinctively to being scared with a reflexive energy blast at the perceived source of the fear-stimulus(a monster, attacker, fearsome-looking gun, etc.), provided they’re in range(so, if that giant alien battlecruiser suddenly hovering overhead just might be out of range), essentially smacking the source in the face with an instant shot. The power of the blast is equivalent to the perceived threat, no more, no less.
The downside of this is that the instant retaliation may immediately mark the FFB possessor as deserving of an attacker’s attention FIRST. It can also reveal the presence/location of a hidden person.
The FFB is an automatic attack and does NOT take any of the superbeing’s regular attacks/actions per melee. However, the superbeing CAN use an APM to consciously quell this power if he thinks/knows he may be in a situation where this power might be activated.
Range: 50 ft +50 ft per level of experience
Damage: Equivalent to the Horror Factor. So getting scared with a Horror Factor of 12 means the percieved source of the Horror Factor gets hit with 12 points of damage.
Duration: Instantaneous, the melee of being frightened
Bonuses: AUTOMATICALLY strikes and bypasses Armor Rating. Goes to SDC first before Hit Points if the target has both SDC and HP.
Note: The possessor of this power is still subject to the normal effects of Horror Factor unless they have other modifiers(M.E., OCC bonuses, other superpowers).

Wouldn't this be better if it were 1d6 per Perceived Horror Factor? Also, is this a specific type of energy which someone might have an immunity to? And why does it bypass armor? Wouldn't some forms of armor be protected against it?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[Wouldn't this be better if it were 1d6 per Perceived Horror Factor? Also, is this a specific type of energy which someone might have an immunity to? And why does it bypass armor? Wouldn't some forms of armor be protected against it?

You mean 1d6 per POINT of H.F.? Wow....that could result in some series buckets of dice being rolled for high-end monster ambushes. Might even toast some critters right off the bat, first melee. :twisted:
"BOO!"
*FZAP!*
"...... :shock: ...."
"YOU KILLED BENNY!"
"Okay, that's why it's a good idea NEVER to frighten Bob, especially if you're a dragon."

Energy type? Ouch. That's a tough one. I'd have to specify some sort of generic bio-energy akin to psionic energy blasts. This is SUPPOSED to be able to affect supernatural critters including undead, so I don't want to specify a definite 'mundane' attack type like Fire, Water, Electricity.
Because it's a form of bio-energy, I'd say that (inanimate) energy-resistant armors, shields, and magic DO protect against it, but simply being a vampire resistant to fire isn't going to cut it.

Gonna have to mull this over.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[Wouldn't this be better if it were 1d6 per Perceived Horror Factor? Also, is this a specific type of energy which someone might have an immunity to? And why does it bypass armor? Wouldn't some forms of armor be protected against it?

You mean 1d6 per POINT of H.F.? Wow....that could result in some series buckets of dice being rolled for high-end monster ambushes. Might even toast some critters right off the bat, first melee. :twisted:
"BOO!"
*FZAP!*
"...... :shock: ...."
"YOU KILLED BENNY!"
"Okay, that's why it's a good idea NEVER to frighten Bob, especially if you're a dragon."

Energy type? Ouch. That's a tough one. I'd have to specify some sort of generic bio-energy akin to psionic energy blasts. This is SUPPOSED to be able to affect supernatural critters including undead, so I don't want to specify a definite 'mundane' attack type like Fire, Water, Electricity.
Because it's a form of bio-energy, I'd say that (inanimate) energy-resistant armors, shields, and magic DO protect against it, but simply being a vampire resistant to fire isn't going to cut it.

Gonna have to mull this over.

16d6 isn't going to do much to most types of creatures with serious Horror Factor. If this is suppsed to do that kind of damage to supernatural beings and dragons, I would make it a major and multiply the damage times ten. If it is supposed to affect undead, make the energy light, and have it do double damage against supernatural evil and the undead.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[16d6 isn't going to do much to most types of creatures with serious Horror Factor. If this is suppsed to do that kind of damage to supernatural beings and dragons, I would make it a major and multiply the damage times ten. If it is supposed to affect undead, make the energy light, and have it do double damage against supernatural evil and the undead.

Maybe a Minor and a Major form?
In original from this was going to be more of a disorienting light-damage attack rather than an all-out smackdown, an instant quick response lash-out that might buy the possessor some time(orovided they aren't paralyzed witb fear)...but I can see a number of variants on that theme, including an instant 'tazer' or 'flashbulb' attack if major disorientation is the desired effect.
A truly DANGEROUS variant, in terms of shortcomings, might
Your suggestions for the Major upgrade will be taken to heart in the revision. Thanks!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[16d6 isn't going to do much to most types of creatures with serious Horror Factor. If this is suppsed to do that kind of damage to supernatural beings and dragons, I would make it a major and multiply the damage times ten. If it is supposed to affect undead, make the energy light, and have it do double damage against supernatural evil and the undead.

In original from this was going to be more of a disorienting light-damage attack rather than an all-out smackdown, an instant quick response lash-out that might buy the possessor some time(orovided they aren't paralyzed witb fear)...but I can see a number of variants on that theme, including an instant 'tazer' or 'flashbulb' attack if major disorientation is the desired effect.
Your suggestions for the Major upgrade will be taken to heart in the revision. Thanks!
Glad I could help.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Glad I could help.

I should probably complete the sentence(when I was interrupted by a reference question) "A truly DANGEROUS variant, in terms of shortcomings, might ..."
-be an omni-directional reflexive blast, which would make it serious liability to be standing next to the guy if he gets scared, and would make the guy staying away from crowds a good idea...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Glad I could help.

I should probably complete the sentence(when I was interrupted by a reference question) "A truly DANGEROUS variant, in terms of shortcomings, might ..."
-be an omni-directional reflexive blast, which would make it serious liability to be standing next to the guy if he gets scared, and would make the guy staying away from crowds a good idea...

People who are scared can be scary, especially if they start going off on everybody. Quite the liability to trade for large damage, I think.
gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

ok I had a spell in AD&D that I made but not sure how to make this into a super power, any help would be excellent

Oxygen Deprivation

Basically stopping all air molecules in a specified area for a specified amount of time, with tweaking also limiting air in that same area

Also another one

Blood Boil

Making the molecules in their blood stream super heat and maybe not cause them huge damage but definetely causing them extreme discomfort or pain but this one I never wrote up, there was a character in X-force who did this to the team or a few members, his name was exodus , if that helps
taalismn
Priest

gottork1967 wrote:ok I had a spell in AD&D that I made but not sure how to make this into a super power, any help would be excellent

Oxygen Deprivation

Basically stopping all air molecules in a specified area for a specified amount of time, with tweaking also limiting air in that same area

Also another one

Blood Boil

Making the molecules in their blood stream super heat and maybe not cause them huge damage but definetely causing them extreme discomfort or pain but this one I never wrote up, there was a character in X-force who did this to the team or a few members, his name was exodus , if that helps

Break it down into specifics:
Minor or Major? Is it going to be a Minor(singular) power or a Major(part of a package of associated effects/bonuses) Power. You can pack a lot more umph and extras into a Major, but you take fewer Major powers, whereas Minor powers are more specific(one or two aspects/extras) but superbeings can load up on more of them.
Range: How far can you cast this effect? (And does it increase with experience)
Damage: How much damage does it do?(And does it increase with experience)
Duration: How long does it do damage/have an effect?(And does it increase with experience)
Saves: Can the target make a save against the effect?
And by extension what can be done to block/negate the effect? Dodge? Wear aluminum foil? Put up a forcefield? Be Invincible?
Extras: Does the power give the character any extra powers, bonuses, or stat add-ons? Or does it LIMIT the possessor in some way.

Look at existing powers(especially published ones) for comparison purposes(for example, you're not going to have Minor powers that do 2d6x100 damage at a range of 5+ miles).
Also look to see if the desired effect you're looking for can't (or isn't) already covered by an existing power (Example: Blood Boil sounds like you could do the same thing with microwaves).
And I wouldn't add that some comic book character has the power...that's straying into forbidden Conversion territory.

Come up with some hard numbers for the above areas, and post. Then I think, once you have something people can work with, the critical commentary will roll in. Folks will be happy to help you refine your work. :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Chute (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The character possesses a type of matter expulsion that allows him to create/shoot a parachute from his hands when needed. The parachute has an SDC of 30, plus 2 points per level of experience, and acts like a normal parachute. The character must make a Parachuting skill roll when jumping from a plane or other high altitude structure/object (the character gets the Parachuting skill at +20% automatically with this power), and the chute disappears once he lands (takes one full melee round). The character can also shoot the parachute at targets to Entangle them in it (PS of the parachute is equal to the character's ME attribute number +1 PS point per level, and the character is +3 to Entangle with it at level one, plus 1 to Entangle at levels 4,8 and 12). If used to Entangle targets, the chute will remain in existence for three minutes, plus an additional minute at levels 4,8 and 12. The weight limit of the chute when lowering the character to the ground is equal to the character's weight plus 50 pounds per level of experience. Creating the chute, detaching it and/or willing it to disappear at will each use one melee attack/action to perform. The chute will not disappear even if the character is knocked unconscious if he is in midair. If the SDC is depleted, the chute is destroyed and disappears, taking ten minutes before it is available to the character again.

Parachute Pants (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The character possesses a type of bio-armor power that allows him to generate clothing which is attached to his body by thin cords. The clothing has a Natural AR equal to half the character's ME attribute number +1 point at levels 4, 8 and 12, with a maximum AR of 15 possible. The SDC of the clothing varies with the item, as noted below. All of the items below are worn by the character as his normal routine, and all must be present for the clothes to have the full AR protection and to have the added ability of acting as a parachute. The character can, indeed, will the clothing to tear off and act as a set of parachutes, taking one melee attack action to do so. When using the clothes as a parachute in this manner, the character must make a successful Parachuting skill roll (the character automatically gets the Parachuting skill at +20% with this power). The clothing reverts to normal once the character lands (takes one full melee round). The weight limit for the chute is equal to the character's weight plus 50 pounds per level of experience. The clothing regenerates SDC at a rate of 2d6 points per minute, but if the clothing is completely destroyed it will take a full hour for the clothing to become available again. Normal clothing (underwear, socks, etc.) can be worn under the bio-armor clothing as long as the skin still touches and is connected to the bio-armor clothing in places so as to allow for the parachute lines to be attached, so the character need not be left completely exposed if the bio-armor clothing disappear or is destroyed. Takes one full melee around to summon the bio-armor clothing or remove it from his person.
Bio-Armor Clothing:
*Hat: Has 10 SDC +1 point per level of character experience. Losing it lessens AR by 1/8th.
*Gloves: Have 5 SDc each +1 SDC each at levels 4,8 and 12. Losing a glove lessens AR by 1/16th.
*Long Coat: Has 20 SDC +1 point per level of character experience. Losing the coat reduces AR by half.
*Pants: Have 15 SDC +1 point at levels 3,6,9,12 and 15. Losing the pants reduces AR by 1/4th.

Jumper (minor) by Stone Gargoyle
The character is naturally suited to making high altitude jumps. He receives bonuses to making them and surviving.
Bonuses:
Gets the Parachuting skill automatically at +20%
+3 to Roll with Falls from high altitude at level one, +1 at levels 4,8 and 12. This does not apply to falls under 1000 feet or to rolls to reduce damage from being hit by physical strikes and melee attacks.
+3 to initiative when engaging in combat when over 1000 feet off the ground at level one, +1 at levels 4,8 and 12.
+20% to save vs. Coma/Death when said result is from falling from high altitude.
taalismn
Priest

Edited Fear Feedback (Minor) to take into account Stone Gargoyle's suggestions. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”