Adventures in the Rifter? Do you PLAY them???

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you play adventures from the Rifter?

Yes :)
54%
No :(
29%
Taco!
17%

Total votes: 24

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Adventures in the Rifter? Do you PLAY them???

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I am considering submitting a mini-campaign to the Rifter. I used to run lots of the dungeons from Dragon and Pegasus magazine, but most of my friends just read the mags and never used the stuff in their games. I wonder how it goes for Rifter fans?

As GMs, have you run any adventures in the Rifter? Which one? How did it go?

As players, has your GM run anything they said was a Rifter?
Prysus
Champion

Re: Adventures in the Rifter? Do you PLAY them???

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I have to say "no," in that I have never used one nor do I believe any of my G.M. have ever used one. I do believe I once saw a G.M. (not mine, but I did lurk) ran an adventure from one of the PF books (not a Rifter).

I, personally, don't run adventures from the books or Rifters. Heck, I barely use the settings. In general I prefer using my own imagination than someone else's. I also tend to run things loose, adjust and adapt on the fly (at least I do now), which makes a fully fleshed out adventures not very useful for me. That's my general mentality.

With all of that said, I've seen other people ask for more adventures. Some people don't have the same imagination, don't have the confidence in their ideas, don't have the time to flesh out an adventure the way they'd want, or various other reasons. So adventures help them out a lot, letting them just pick up and run. I've seen a request for more adventures on these forums, and I do think there's a market for it. On one of the Gateways to the Megaverse (I can get a number for you if you'd like) Kevin even said he'd like to see more adventures in the Rifter.

There definitely seems to be a market for adventures, even if I'm not in that market. Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

More pre written adventures for me. We play them as breaks from campaigns. AND as we play a lot we easily run out whilst writing up our next self made campaign.

They also help the non-GMs to have a try at GMing.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
krate
Explorer

Unread post by krate »

I loves me some pre-written adventures. I love to mine them for ideas, stories, NPCs etc. I never play an adventure straight, as I modify it for my group. But, yeah, more adventures in the Rifter please! :)
Please visit my DeviantArt page http://krateworx.deviantart.com/
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I have never used pre-written adventures for any game. I don't find them helpful. On the other hand, I have sometime mined them for other ideas. None of my rather large gaming group use adventures either. Most of us prefer to work out or own.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

voted octopus.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Panomas wrote:IWhat is your area and focus for your submission?

I have a Rifts adventure percolating. I am debating the level of detail. Also, I have a Chaos Earth "start your campaign here" adventure I have on the backburner as well.

Over the years, I've run con games and people have enjoyed the scenarios a great deal and asked for my notes so they could run the adventure themselves. But its a big jump from scrawled notes to a well written adventure article.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I'm considering running the two part NORAD adventure.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I'm considering running the two part NORAD adventure.

This is the only printed adventure that I have considered running in a great many years.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

I have adapted a few to fit into my pre-existing campaigns, either the majority of the published adventure or some of its contents (a cool town/hideout/stronghold, N.P.C.s, plot twists, etc.). I also love when the article or book contains Hook, Line & Sinker pieces, as these get my imagination fired up and are generally easier to shoehorn into an existing campaign.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
bar1scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bar1scorpio »

A good brief adventure, one that can be played out in 3-5 hours, can be an essential introduction to a game. I'd had great results with a BTS-2 adventure from Rifter 32. And since Adventures really don't pan out well as outright modules for Palladium, the Rifter would be an essential source for such.

Thing is, so many writers concentrate, it seems, on Rifts, and more specifically, Rifts' North America for their locations. A lot of the Rifts world is still largely unexplored, and given the nature of the Rifts, couldn't a series of D-Bees also have cropped up elsewhere in the world?
"The World Will be Saved By Steam!" - Professor Steamhead Ninja High School
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have run adventures from the actual source books (ARCHIE, Juicer Uprising, etc.) but I have never run a full script from the Rifters. Like everyone else has said I do mine them heavily for ideas, NPC's, even floor plans and equipment.

For me, I love the pre done adventures in the Rifter just as a resource, but I am thinking of running the Rifts part of the NORAD adventure at Owl Con this year. I just need to finish up some pregen characters for Rifts. If it goes well I will try and create some Chaos Earth characters and run both parts at a future con.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Because they are short they also make great "inter campaign" sub adventures.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I play them and if they aren't something I want to play I usually am able to at least get inspiration from them. Sometimes I do both or it springs a whole campaign idea for me based on just the adventure.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Just bought Rifter 25 & 26 specifically for the PFRPG adventure.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

RuneKatana wrote:Some of them are cool, but I haven't used them yet.

I really love seeing Hook, Line & Sinkers. I can't get enough of them. I wish there were more of them around, and ones that are slightly more detailed. I'd buy a thinbook just full of HL&S.

Is their a specific game line you would like to see more HL&S for?

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

RuneKatana wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:Is their a specific game line you would like to see more HL&S for?

I'd really only use them for Rifts. And like others in the thread, even if I wouldn't use the HL&S wholesale, it's a great jumping off point for thinking of situations the characters might find themselves in on Rifts earth.

I find many of the ones printed assume you're running a high powered group, or a large group that's able to toss considerable firepower around. But some HL&S focused on small groups or an introductory series would be awesome.

I'm currently working on a project but will keep that in mind for a future one.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

The Dark Elf wrote:Just bought Rifter 25 & 26 specifically for the PFRPG adventure.

I have used PFRPG adventure from these 2 rifters as well. I had a mini writers block and my players wanted to play. I used this adventure as the basis for several more adventurers.

My PCs took over the tower and with the help of the NPCs they rescued have built a small town around the tower. The NPCs run the town and the PCs just use it as a place to call home between adventures.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”