Wilderness Scout Can not Take Camouflage?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Should and exception be made

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 21

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Wilderness Scout Can not Take Camouflage?

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Wilderness scouts can not take military skills. SO they cant camouflage anything, I think this is silly. What is your opinion. Should an exception be made to allow camouflage?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Wilderness Scout Can not Take Camouflage?

Unread post by Nightmask »

That does sound like an oversight, certainly not something I'd have problems with a Wilderness Scout taking.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I also say that the Wilderness Scout should be able to take the skill, if not have it as an OCC skill.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Camouflage is available as a Secondary Skill, so anybody can take it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dragonfett
Knight

I didn't realize that, however I still feel that the Wilderness Scout should be able to take it as an OCC Related skill with at least a 10% bonus.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

dragonfett wrote:I didn't realize that, however I still feel that the Wilderness Scout should be able to take it as an OCC Related skill with at least a 10% bonus.

Secondary Skills, the new system for them that came out with RUE, are something that is commonly overlooked. So don't feel bad about it. ;)

I agree that Wilderness Scouts should be able to take it as an OCC skill, though, with some kind of bonus.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Game designers are fallible beings. Simple oversight. Let um have it.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Thanks Everyone. Ill take it as a Secondary Skill
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

In CWC, WB11 pg. 80 the CS Ranger "the coalition version of wilderness scout" it does have the Camouflage skill at +10% as a OCC skill. That could mean two things:

1) No, WS can't have Camouflage (except by secondary skill selection) as it is not trained for it. Only a more military profiled WS can have it. Or,
2) Frak #1 option. RUE is plainly wrong and WS should have the Camouflage skill straight.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Hunting requires camouflage and this would in my mind give them the Camouflage skill with the standard Wilderness skill bonus.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Natasha wrote:Hunting requires camouflage and this would in my mind give them the Camouflage skill with the standard Wilderness skill bonus.

That is an excellent point. Wilderness scouts should get the hunting bonus to their camouflage skill.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

I simply include Camoflauge in Wilderness Skills. Of course, I likewise include Sniper with Military Skills.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Mercdog wrote:I simply include Camoflauge in Wilderness Skills. Of course, I likewise include Sniper with Military Skills.

That is a good solution as well.
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Speaking as someone who put a lot of thought, time and effort into the Wilderness Scout O.C.C., I have come out of exile to comment as I am probably the highest reliable authority who can speak on this topic.

The Wilderness Scout in RUE is, in my opinion, an inferior kit-bashed mishmash of the Wilderness Scout classes I did for Dinosaur Swamp. When writing DS, I intended to show love to the Wilderness Scout by updating and expanding on the class. One of those was a redesign of the base Wilderness Scout class (remember I was working off of the original Rifts, not RUE), which was called The Frontiersman. It was intended to pretty much overwrite the Wilderness Scout O.C.C. in terms of usability and bring the class into parity with many of the new skills compiled in the Game Masters Guide. However, Kevin took pen, did some good and bad tweaks and renamed it the "Swamp Stomper;" probably the dumbest thing in the book. Regardless.

If you'll see on page 49 of Dinosaur Swamp, the Frontiersman CAN take Camouflage as an O.C.C. Related Skill at +10%.

So, it WAS thought out at the design level at one point, but didn't make it into the RUE revision, which I had no input on.
Insert 400 character limit here.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Should be an OCC skill with MAYBE a lesser bonus than the CS Ranger but an OCC skill nonetheless
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
dragonfett
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
dragonfett wrote:I didn't realize that, however I still feel that the Wilderness Scout should be able to take it as an OCC Related skill with at least a 10% bonus.

Secondary Skills, the new system for them that came out with RUE, are something that is commonly overlooked. So don't feel bad about it. ;)

I agree that Wilderness Scouts should be able to take it as an OCC skill, though, with some kind of bonus.

I do have the RUE. It's been a while since I made a character though.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Rifts®”