Fictional City Names

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Fictional City Names

Unread post by Juce734 »

I know a lot of people use real city names and sometimes the local big city. What about those of you who use your own made up settings.

As for me I have been struggling to think of a city name in my fictional setting. The city is going to be in Michigan and considered the crime capital of the USA. Detroit will be within 30 miles of my fictional city. I also think I want the nickname for the city to be "The City of Shadows." In my game I am going to mix in some real cities with fictional cities but am struggling with the fictional names.

So what are some of your fictional cities? What inspired you for the name, and layout?
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Fictional City Names

Unread post by Bill »

I usually end up using the nick-name of whatever city I'm basing the place off of. My last supers game was set in Bay City, a pseudonym for San Francisco. Alternatively you could just call it The City, or find a synonym you like; like Metropolis.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I tend to use real city names unless I'm in space. In which case I just randomly strike the keyboard and see what sticks. Like this, for example:

asd;lfjiaweoprhjawl/enkf;sdiofa;klsdnfl;fo;asnklro;q48uq2349prjal/wdknfa;sdf

Out of that, I guess I'd use Eoprhjawl.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Sometimes using the titles of real cities works. For Example, Detroit might be Auto City, Toledo might be Glass City...
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I have all kinds of ideas for fiction cities mentioned in Gramercy Island

Victory City
Motor City
Ultropolis
Gulf Coast City
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:I have all kinds of ideas for fiction cities mentioned in Gramercy Island

Victory City
Motor City
Ultropolis
Gulf Coast City

Gulf Coast City should be placed in the Dakota's!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:I have all kinds of ideas for fiction cities mentioned in Gramercy Island

Victory City
Motor City
Ultropolis
Gulf Coast City

Why would you punish anyone for having to live in the Dakotas? I mean I have kin there but it's like nothing going on. People have tossed away decade long military careers insted of living at at least one Millitary base there.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Rockwolf66 wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Victory City
Motor City
Ultropolis
Gulf Coast City

Why would you punish anyone for having to live in the Dakotas? I mean I have kin there but it's like nothing going on. People have tossed away decade long military careers insted of living at at least one Millitary base there.

You missed the joke.
A city named "Gulf Coast" located in a landlocked state.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Poocho
Wanderer

Unread post by Poocho »

Our game is taking place in Puerto Seguro, CA replacing the location of San Diego and altering the landscape to suit our purpose. Puerto Seguro is Spanish for Safe Port, as we wanted to stick with the theme for West Coast cities.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Grab a map and look at rural areas. There are lots of awesome names that get over looked.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

well one thing i like about "century Station" is it's one of the few cities that don't have "City" in the name...how unoriginal!...Coast city, Gotham city, Central city, hudson City, Delta city...ugh

lets see, your city is the "city of Shadows" located near detroit....Detroit is from the French word for "strait"

from there, the French word for "Shadow' is Tenebrae....after a couple hundred years of "Americanization"...it would probably be altered to something simpler and less "french"...so lets go with..."Tenbray"

Now if your city is situated on the great lakes (and why not, gives the chance for maritime adventures)...you could jazz up "Tenbray" with something nautical..."Tenbray Bay" sounds lame...Tenbray Beach?? not bad, but doubt the great lakes are know for thier beaches... what about Tenbray Cove? hmmm

now Tenbray Cove...you can expand a city based on that alone... "Shadow cove"....maybe the water near the city is unnatural dark from polution, or overcast weather...what about sports teams? Tenbray has "bray in the name"...horses bray...so you can say thier NBA team is something like "the Tenbray Cove Stallions"...Eastern Confrence if you want them involved with the Detroit Pistons

ect; ect;

hope this helps
Poocho
Wanderer

Unread post by Poocho »

That's good imaginative thinking there, bathawk, and imo the right way to come up with a good city name. The only thing that feels wrong about that is, well, I've lived in Wisconsin all the twenty-something years of my life; and the only place that I can think of with the word "cove" in it is "Pirate's Cove"--a mini-golf course in (I think) Madison. I'd have to look at a map to be sure there aren't any Great Lakes cities with "cove" in them, but my feeling is that it just doesn't sound all that mid-westerny.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly adds flavor, and may be just right for a campaign. However, if you're going for authenticity, that would probably sound a bit off to most of us in the area. I know it would for my gaming group. Of course, if there's another mid-westerner or student of this area's geography, feel free to pipe up.

...but I'd rather add something to the discussion rather than just take it away, so I'll pull up Google Maps and list some of cities nearby to Detroit: Holy Shmoly! I'd better put my foot in my cyber mouth. SE Michigan has an "Aliens Cove"! I'd delete all my above, but I'll leave it for your amusement. Now, there's also: Luna Pier, Stony Point, Estral Beach, Rockwood, Woodhaven, Riverview, Southgate, Lincoln Park, River Rouge, Carbon Works, Gold Coast, Grosse Pointe, Ravendale, Harper Woods, Greensbriar, Fords Cove (I know, I know), Roseville, St Clair Shores, Romeo, Rochester Hills, Waterford, Keego Harbor, Novi, Ann Arbor, Petersburg, Blissfield.... And those are just the ones I saw at a glance to be relatively close to Detroit and interesting enough for me to consider as inspiration. I hope I could be of at least some help.

Now, I'm off to soothe my pride.

Just my thoughts,
Poocho :)
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

touche'

even went through the entire list of cities in Michighan...found plenty of "shores", "harbors", and yes, even "beaches"

but dosne't matter!...i now have......

Tenbray Falls!

(shadow falls)
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

bathawk wrote:touche'

even went through the entire list of cities in Michighan...found plenty of "shores", "harbors", and yes, even "beaches"

but dosne't matter!...i now have......

Tenbray Falls!

(shadow falls)

You have helped name my fictional city and given me something better than I ever could have come up with.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

your more than welcome...need anythign more? on the way to work, I figured out Tenbray Falls founding history, recent devlopment cureent issues and major businessess
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

bathawk wrote:your more than welcome...need anythign more? on the way to work, I figured out Tenbray Falls founding history, recent devlopment cureent issues and major businessess

Please do tell more.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

*cracks knuckles*

Ever since it's earliest years, Tenbray Falls had grown in Detroits shadow. Crime in Detroit either Feeded or fed off Tenbray Falls close location, and many a criminal used Tenbray Falls to hide thier illicit activity, or themselves hide when the heat in Detroit got too high.

From it's earliest years however Tenbray Falls had filled a particular niche in Michighans criminal underworld: smuggling. Tenbray Falls low profile and great lake access has made it easier for smugglers to move things across the border easier than in Detroit due to less oversight. This has ranged from alchol during prohibition, draft dodgers durign American wars, and a huge epidemic of illicit drugs (mainly marijuana) during the 80's and 90's

in fact smuggling had been considered an "honorable criminal profession" as the decades wore on. Many criminals grew up in the shadow of parents and grandparents who learned the "art" from thier parents and so on

This "smugglers haven" is what allowed Tenbray Falls to grow beyond it's humble beginnings, and grow outside the shadow of it's "big brother". as smuggling Empires grew more and more money was funneled into the city, and bribes to public officals skyrocketed, with the illicit funds tenbray Falls began to grow exponetialy immediately after world war II, mainly in the areas of it's portside district. With all the illegal money coming in, Tenbray Falls was able to offer it's legitimate businessess "on the cheap", and actualy began to steal business from Detroit in the shipping industry

Recent Years
corruption took a major hit in the last few years among rumors that the smugglers of Tenbray Falls may have been the egress point inot the country for the 9/11 terrorists. While it was never proven, increased border security made it harder for criminals to ply thier trades. This didn't reduce the level of cime, as it just meant smugglers had to move into other areas of criminal behavior

A major blow came from a "dark urban crimefighter" who had his roots in Tenbray Falls criminal empire. ironicaly, it was this conneccion in his civillian idnetity that allowed him to testify in court, more than his noctural prowlings which turned Tenbray falls inside out.

The ammount of testimony and evidence the crimefighter put forth allowed state and federal goverment to have a field day, over night city officlals, police officers, business leaders, even firefighters and sanitation workers were arrested by the dozens, in a city filled with so much graft, few people were innocent. In fact the Governor had to declare martial law in the fist few weeks because after the round-up, the city didn't have enough employees to keep the city running. Ultimately they had to concentrate on the "big fish", and there are still many corrupt individuals at all levels of the city

In a way this is both a good and bad thing. On one hand it did indeed root out much of the coruption. and the numbers show the ammount of corruption still existing isn't more thna many other major cities...however statisticlay it's found this is mainly because the goverment is so "gutted" there aren't as many city offiials, policemen and such left to do thier jobs....the city is very much run by a "skeleton crew" who finds 0htemselves extremely overworked and once again vulnerable to corruption

Today

Tenbray Falls has actualy found profit in a new form of smuggling drugs....the legal kind. It's a "worst kept secret" that despite the technicaly illegality. Many Americans buy thier drugs and medications across the border in canada. Criminals in Tenbray Falls have siezed upon this and now smuggle millions of dollars of prescription medications into tenbray falls in the last year alone.

while legal enforcment, the DEA and border patrol officers have tried to crack down on this, even confiscated meds still find themselves on the market by less than official/illegal means. In fact the reputation that Tenbray falls as "the place to go for medication/health care" has been exploited by American buisnessess....and many HMO's, insurance companies, and medical research firms have begun to crop up in tenbray Falls, and the health care industry in Tenbray Falls is expected to outstrip Detroits flagging Automobile industry in revenue within the next 10 to 20 years.
As aprt of this thier are places in the city that are able to provide Eugenic enhancements, as found in Powers Unlimited 2. Publicaly these are mainly in the expierimental stages, and they do not offer any eugenic modification with a price tage over $150,000 And are becomming "chic" with rich kids who ahve lots of thier parents money to spend (reinforced skelton and heightened sense of touch seem to be what's "in" currently.

Super heroes
With the police deaprtments gutted. The city and state had to find away to control the rampant crime in the city. and thus introduced the Kirkman Act. This act allowedsignificant tax breaks for superheroes to set up shop in Tenbray falls as city employees.. With high salaries nearing $100,000 the city finds this a bargain, paying a superhero 3 to 4 times that of a police officer, but without the extra cost of equipping them comes out to a real bargain.....despite the rifts this has caused with local police unions who threaten to go on strike almost monthly

Another issue with the Kirkman act was in the caliber of the kind of superhero that answered that call, The city didn't seem to question the morals os "Superheroes" who were willing to relocate for a paycheck. While not necessarily evil or corrupt, these heroes make no secret of thier "mercenary" leanings and that money is a thier prime motivator. many are just "working stiffs"...of low expierince level (2nd to 4th) who come into work late, milk thier overtime and sick day benefits and don't necessarily go to work with a smile on thier face. As such espite not being "bad guys" (mostly Unprincipled allingment with a few Srupulous and Aberrant alingments scratted) they are no more or less vulnerbale to the idea of bribery, or being told to "look the other way" by corrupt officials, especialy when it can take only one phone call to get any one of these groups fired. The only "true blue" altrustic heroes are the ones you put in the campaign

Ok thats all i have for tonight, if you want I ccan come up with various districts, public figures and the outline of some superheroes if you like
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Interesting, but one would think police and other officials who are being cut by budget conscious other cities wouyld rapidly find employment here, solving the "skeleton crew" problem.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

it's a relatively new development, and the city wants to go slow in filling out it's ranks to make sure there aren't any misteps...thats why the Kirkman act is hopignto emply superheroes....making up for a lack of quanity with hopefully quality
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

no other comments? damn thought i was onto somethign good here, geuss I can stop workign up street level villians and plot seeds
Genhuman
Wanderer

Unread post by Genhuman »

bathawk wrote:no other comments? damn thought i was onto somethign good here, geuss I can stop workign up street level villians and plot seeds

Can't stop now, especially since our GM read this, and is thinking of ret-conning our campaign into your setting (or his version of your setting). It will cause me to modify my PCs background a little bit, but hey, it sounds like a great background to play against.
My mother was a test tube, my father was a knife.

More human than human.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

ok, outlining some city districts and and interesting locations for "color"

already have some rough ideas on some "stret level" super villians, more "dark champions the animated series" than the "punisher max"....but should start posting them tonight or tomorrow
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

that a good start.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I'm in the most unimaginative city in the world. I live in 'Townsville'

I mean seriously, the village of Town. People to the south of us call us 'Villetown' (though to be fair, we do call the city of gladstone as 'Happyrock' but i digress)

A lot of places get named for the people who founded it or a local feature. the lifespan of a city is often such that it can outgrow it's nickname several times. We have a town called Drover's creek. The creek was diverted to a dam 80 years ago, and there aren't any cattle stations in the area anymore. No drovers. No Creek.

So it's fair to lump an oddity of a name as well I guess. I would reccommend scouring the interwebz for some old or archaic words.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

*cracks knuckles*...again I hope folks read this

FYI the big crackdown on all the high profile crime and corruption in Tembray Falls is called "the Big Bust"...make the jokes you want, but I think it's apt..."busting" all the officals and police, nearly "busted" the city
Juce734 said the town would be within thirty miles of Detroit, so I've based tenbray falls as being south of Detroit, just past Lincoln Park, and East of Trenton onnthe shore of Lake Erie

ok Neighborhoods of Tenbray Falls

Penbroke / "Little Columbia"
a bit of a misnomer. Little Columbia is not an ethnic neighborhood, but a slang term for the dock district. While always considered a lesser, more decrepit version of Detroit, Tenbray Falls made a sizeable income from those who took advantage of Tenbray falls cheaper costs of dock fees, low/non union labor and warehouses.
little Columbia got it's slang name (it's proper name is Penbroke) from the fact that it's a major source of drugs (both medical and recreational) into not only Tenbray falls, but Michighan at large. As the saying goes "whatever drug your looking for, it's probably coming from Columbia"
Despite it's large ports servicing all number of nautical vehicles. The popularity of shipping import/exporting through Tenbray Falls became bigger than the city could handle. As such there is also a sizeable railyard and all manner of services for 18 wheeled trucks. . tenbray Falls is often the first stop/last stop of those traveling to or from Detroit. Of course having multiple means of moving all sorts of merchandise makes regulation, especialy after the "big bust" extremely difficult

Barrow point
Originaly just a small outcropping of rock jutting into the lake. over the decades, Barrow Point has been enlarged both naturally and artifialy to create a sizeable peninsula just west of Leamontons point pelee national park. This area became the first are to become part of Tembray falls warehouse district
As it technicaly is spotted by ships before they can reach the docks, for years it was a popular spot to drop off/pick up cargo that criminals did not want to be seen. Since the big bust hwever, it has become one of the most heavily patroled areas that are patrolled, looking for illegal drop offs. At least thats how it is supposed to work.
in reality the authorities are more concerend with what comes and goes from Barrow point, and not so much what happed in the Barrows. Unlike the dock area, unauthorized personnel can walk the warehouse ares with little issue (getting into warehouses is another matter). nearly anyone in town knows that the Barrows is the place for outsiders to go if they are looking for "non recreation" (medical) drugs.
the barrows has in fact become somethign of a tourist trap during the day, with many reputable vendors offering medicatiosn at cheap prices. theese illicit bazaars can range from being exceptionaly shady, to becomming mini street fairs with hot dog vendors and street performers mixed in with those offering boxes of "cheap" medication. the Tenbray Falls authorities have all but given up on busting the "customers" and now simply stake out the sellers, arresting them after hours.
Due to the large ammount of foot traffic, legal and otherwise, Barrow point has few "abandoned warehouses" for criminals to set up evil lairs...oh sure they exist, but anyone wanting to use a warehouse as such will be subject to very close scrutiny.
That being said, many warehouses are full to bursting with new aut parts. Detroits desire to cut costs expecialy in the decline of the automobile industry has led to over half of the warehouses being overloaded with auto parts of sorts that may never see use. hardware characters looking for a great deal, can usually walk off with all they can carry for only a couple of twenties in a watchmen's hand...in fact it's believed that the auto companies actualy encourage this behavior, as they can then write off the loss to thier insurance companies

End part one
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Part Two

Redlawn
This is the blue collar area of Tenbray falls. t has an inordinately high number of trained mechanics, metal workers and welders, and has grown exponetialy in just a few years. With lay offs growing to an all time high, many families were desperate for ways to cut costs. The cheap medications flooding into the city seemed like a godsend to those who some times had difficulty being able to afford food and clothing. "Cheap healthcare" eased many a family budget to the extent that other blu collar families immigrated to Redlawn from places like Detroit for the same reason.
the residents of Redlawn are fiercely independent. While it would be an exaduration to say that every grade schooler can rebuild an engine and every housewife can handle a spot welder. Everyone in Redlawn has a close friend or family member that can. It in fact wouldn't be sa stretch to say as much as one in fifty adults is equal to a Hardware: mechanical genius power class of 1st or 2nd level (but obviously with lower stats and sans that category's budget).
there are for example very few garages/service mechanices in Redlawn. it's a mark of shame if you can't at leats change your own oil or identify a carberator. And a family member or friend can help with the work you cannot do yourself. Trying to go into business in this neighborhood would quickly fail because you simply could not compete with your many more knowledgeable neighbors....who can do thier own work themselves thankyouverymuch.
Those in Redlawn of very protective of this "new culture"...police, especialy those investigating illegal perscription drugs are given the cold shoulder. And criminals are usualy aggresively forced out of the neighborhood by near militant neighbor watches to help spread the idea that cops don't need to poke thier noses in Redlawn business
As a side note "Redlawn" got it's name from the the few streams that track thier way into various parts of the neighborhood. heavily polluted by various pieces of decaying metal, grass and trees appear very sickly, and the ground itself has a very ruddy look to it.
On the edge of Redlawn is a fairly large cemetary called "Twilight Meade" but hardely anyone is buried there nowadays. the tainted soil and poor vegetagion mean s over 3/4ths of the cemetary looks horrible, and a number of hills have formed basins which collect the red-brown water for weeks at a time.
The moist and ugly nature means that the place is avoided even by teenagers looking for a place to drink thier illegal liqour and make out. And it's considered a mark of family shame if your only able to afford to bury a loved one in the "meade". This does make the cemetary a large open area where one is unlikely to be disturbed. Making it most frequented by criminals, street gang warfare, and maybe even the odd necromancer or grave robber

The Crest
originaly just a marina East of Barrow pointe "Crestwater Marina" became a favorite spot to get away from the dreary city by the richer residents living in Metcalf Springs. Many a yacht pleaureboat and house boat became docked at the very groing Crestwater that it became "nearly" a privately owned neighborhood.
Previously prowled by the "rich kids of the Springs. with many of thier infulential parents now behind bars, the younger crowd have more or less taken over (ages 16 to 25). As such many business in the are a started settign up shop for theis younger crowd by setting up upscale bars and nightclubs nearby, soon "Crestwater marina" DID become it's own neighborhood called simply "The Crest" (also an inside joke refering to blue blooded young adults with family "crests"
The Crest suffers from a number of problems however
First the marina itself is only lightly patrolled/guarded, and even then by private securiyty whose main job is to keep order on the docks, and investigate anyone who "dosen't belong", or is making unauthorized use of a slip. The various vessels are typicaly considered to be "off limis" unless there is somethign blatantly obvious and illegal occuring, in which case the security typicaly just calls the 'real" police. Due to it's high seculison, it's expected many crims of rape, murder and hardcore drug dealing goes on under many people's noses in tth cabins of a berthed yacht
secondly, rich kids come "down" from Metcalf Springs to enjoy the crest, which was built in part from land/buildings remodeled frombarrow point....which previously acted as a "buffer" between metcalf Springs...and Redlawn.....
Typical "outsiders" set up, "the crest kids" down't care for the poorer kids of redlawn, who usualy can't afford the more expensive businesses in the Crest, and this of coursehas caused friction, it hasn't resulted in "gang violnce.....yes, but has resulted in contests of a differnet kind
the Redlawns had a reputation of turning tthe skills they grew up with into fixing/modifiying/tuning cars, which inevitably resulted in kids racing cars throught redlawn, however with no long empty streets in overcrowded Redlawn the racers took to the streets of Barrow Point....that were later absorbed into the Crests club district
while they didn't have the skills the crest kids had monwy to buy tuned vehicles and an ugly rivalry continues on the streets of Barrow Point and the Crest

End part two
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Part three

Metcalf Springs
what else is ther eto say about the rich part of town? everyone probably knows the stereotype from Beverly Hills to Manhattan, it's expensive as hell to get in, Snobbish in the extreme, and pity you if you can't get in.
At least thats the way it was. the probablem with corrupt people in power is that THEY KNOW those in power are corrupt. No one living in Metcalf Springs trusted police thet thier neighbors had on the take. So they went ahead and bought they're own security force. This worked very well and the Metcalf Patrol kept crime and undesireables out. despite accusations of racial profiling, the Metcalf Patrol was credited with turning Metcalf Srings into "the gated community without the gates".....for good or ill
the problem however with a paid security force is that when your empolyers get shut behind bars, no one is left to sign your paychecks. and the vast majority walked out or quit. the Tenbray falls olice department, used to a polite "thank you but no" from the residents of Metcalf Springs previously, weren't chomping at the bit to protect and serve the community that snubbed them with thier higher paid reant a cops. Especialy with the manpower shortage currently affecting the city. You can still get a cop in Metcalf Springs, but they aren't goign to rush any faster, especialy when the Springs are the least populated neighborhood per capita.
of course even after the Big Bust there are plenty of wealthy persons in metcalf Springs with enough clout to make certain that one or two of the Kirkman act sponsored superteams are set up in thier neighborhood....they are even trying to get one of them to be dubbed "the New Metcalf Patrol"

Appleton
The area with the most open land. appleton has more manicured parks than Metcalf Springs, and larger building complexes than Hepstone. With new pharmaceutical and medical companies converging on Tenbray Falls as of late the larger congolmerates were able to buy land dirt cheap and erect buildings on campuses many sizes larger than needed for the building residing on them, and no one is welcome. Military contracts and high priced lawyer ensure that many companies are a power unto themselves on thier own land. Of course such wide open spaces make excellent grounds for superhero battles, especialy since the order of Saint Rigas seems to always be in the area.

Hepstone/ the Haunt
Cross Gotham City with a near Charles Dickens attitude and you ahve the downtown region of Tenbray Falls. Hepstone , or "the Haunt" got it's name from the fact that the business in the business district dried up once so many movers & shakers were either jailed or loss thier jobs when said bossess went to prison. Now if you work in the Haunt your overworked, worried about losing your job daily andhave little reason to smile. Even if you are innocent of any wrong doing, workers in the Haunt keep thier heads low and don't make waves as everyone fears even being suspected of wrongdoing. "Life turns black and white" in Hepstone, especialy with most businessess not directly related to finance has moved southeast to the Crest. If you stay in the Haunt you eith are already dea inside or enjoy seeing others in such a state.

The End *whew*
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Nice work. I currently have it raining demons south from Detroit, if my PC's get involved I might use some of your places. (Of course, my PC's are sidekicks, the NPC heroes are handling the demon rain)
Genhuman
Wanderer

the residents of Redlawn are fiercely independent. While it would be an exaduration to say that every grade schooler can rebuild an engine and every housewife can handle a spot welder. Everyone in Redlawn has a close friend or family member that can. It in fact wouldn't be sa stretch to say as much as one in fifty adults is equal to a Hardware: mechanical genius power class of 1st or 2nd level (but obviously with lower stats and sans that category's budget).

Personally, I would have worded it more along the lines that the most common secondary skills (hobbies) of the residents are Basic Mechanics, Automotive Mechanics, and General Repair/Maintenance.

IMHO The hardware classes were always closer to engineers than mechanics, but that's just me.

GM already read this, and we have pretty much agreed that as part of the retcon our group is undergoing, our new HQ will be located in Redlawn at a failed Mechanic shop/serivice station. (Called Paul's Brake and Exhaust, but that is just flavor text for now).

More human than human.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

on one hand I'm flattered, on the other...geuss this mean I have to continue wiht personalities, noteable superhumans, plot seed, and nearby locations?
Genhuman
Wanderer

bathawk wrote:on one hand I'm flattered, on the other...geuss this mean I have to continue wiht personalities, noteable superhumans, plot seed, and nearby locations?

That is entirely up to you. :-D

My GM just likes your setting and the feel of it more than what he was trying to do with his own initial town (Blue Bay, FL). Part of one of the major story arcs we are experiencing seem to revolve around drugs and drug running, and things transferred over well.

I guess maybe its the grittier feel of the midwest and Detroit area that appeals. (my Opin, havn't asked him why he moved us, but it seems to be working. lol)

Up to you if you want to flesh it out. The more you do prob just means less for him to do, setting prep wise. lol

More human than human.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

still very flattered, the OP said he wnted a "city of shadows" so I tried to create a "Gotham City" where you can still have all sorts of power ctaegories

if your GM wants to message me thats great, I have a day off tomorrow and should be able to start my next "chapter"
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

OK been about a week, geuss I'm ready to start on "powers & personalities" of Tenbray Falls. Bor my own benefit if nothing else. Going to try and back away from giving full character sheets So others can fill in the blanks...

*breaks fingers*

Heroes of Tenbray Falls

heroes are in short supply in Tenbray falls. Prior to the "Big Bust" many would-be saw Tenbray Falls as the "minor leagues" and offtimes would "graduate" to Detroit or even Chicago when they decided they want to become "real" heroes. Even now, "post bust" many heroes who had neglected Tenbray Falls are almost too shamed to come back. Of course heroes from Chicago or Detroit will come rushing in if a major disaster breaks out, but Tenbray Falls has few native heroes, other than those coming into the city has paid crimefighters under the Kirkman act (or the PC's)

FORMER HEROES
"Mr.Marine" Frank Eglin
Pocket Origin: a United States Marine serving in the Vietnam War. In 1973 Sergeant Eglin and his squad was caught in a spraying of "Agent Organge" while on a deep recon patrol. While many of his squad became violently ill. Eglin developed superhuman abilities.
Given a quick honorable discharge. Sergeant Eglin was told his dismissal was from the military's wish to avoid the scandal from accidenly spraying it's own troops, while more likely it was to avoid exposure thatthat the US was still using Agent Orange, which officialy they stopped using two years prior in 1971
Returning home to his home in Barrow Pointe, Eglin was shocked about how crime had taken over his town. While he always knew Tenbray Falls was "dirty" at least now he had the opportunity to do something about it.
Armed with skills and abilities, "Mr.Marine" as the public dubed him concentrated on anti smuggling operations around Barrowpoint and Little Columbia, mainly by use of his demolitions skill to sabotage smuggling vessels who had to be rescued by the authorites who would discover the contraband.
Mr. Marine oerated in Tenbray Falls from 1974 to 1987 and was considered one of, if not the public face of Tenbray Falls superhero community.
In April of 1987 while boarding a large fishing boat in lake Erie suspected of bringing a large shipment of Marijuana into the city. Mr.Marine was gunned down by extremely high powered weapons by member of the order of St.Rigas. Two weeks later his grave was violated and his body stolen, police have no leads.
Disposition: Relatively in good spirts. Sgt.Elgin did his best to but on a smiling face for the public. He constantly wanted to remind the public that not all veterans were suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, and publicaly denounced "First Blood" when it first opened in theaters
Aware his actions of sabotage were highly illegal. "Mr.Marine" did his best to avoid unnecessary death and destruction. While he killed many a criminal in "shipboarding actions" it's believd he never took lethal action against a criminal who wasn't likely to be doing the same
Abilities: Power Category: Mutant. Military Specialist with demolitions and Espionage skill programs/ Powers: ( 4 minor) extraorninary stength,extraordinary physical endurance, sonar, and underwater abilities
Plot Seed One: It's highly unlikely what Sgt.Elgin was spraye with was "Agent Orange" and even less likely that the exposure was accidental. The question was how much of the "accident" was planned? And how much knowledge did "Mr.Marine" have? If he knew what was going to happen, the illness that his squad developed my rest on him. And of course it would also explain how a discharged serviceman was able to get his hands on militray equipment once he was stateside
Plot Seed Two: Mr.Marine was all in all "a big fish in a small pond" he contented himself with disrupting smuggling operations and fought few supvillians during his tenure. How then did he rate an assination by the Order of St.Rigas? a percieved human supremastis organization who has attacked and killed many high profile superheroes and villians across th country over the last 40 years...Mr.Marine would almost seem to be.....beneath thier notice
Plot Seed Three: in the post "Big Bust" era. Law enforcement has been attempting to put a stranglehold on Tembray Falls smuggling....of course nowmany smugglers are appearing with Eugenicaly created nautical abilities such as gills, webbed hands and sonar. the few that have been caught aren't talking. Does this have anything to do with the Eugenices/pharmaceutical companies in Appleton? and moreover does it have anythign to do with the deceased Mr.Marine?

end part 1
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Part 2

The Locust Morrison Kane

Morrison Kane lived the good life in Tenbray Falls. His family had a sprawling estate in Metcalf Springs, and his family, already rich in the pharmeceutical business, also owned land near crestview marina, whose value skyrocketed over the years as it became "The Crest"

Like many residents of Tenbray Falls, Morrison didn't think too much about the illicit drug activity in his city. Kane Pharmeceuticals was prosperous with thier "legal" drug empire, and most citizens turned a blind eye to the underground drug market, wether they used it or not, so why should he care?

That changed with the death of his brother Grant. Grant had been buying black market steroids at barrow point for years. Up until the day he dies from acute liver failure.
This was a huge eye-opened for Morrison, who decided to dedicate his life and reources to eliminating illicit drug activity in Tenbray falls and crime in general. he spent the next five years in training, learning martial arts, computer hacking, eving esoteric skills suck as lockpicking and race car driving.
When he felt his training was complete, he decided on the "nome de geurre" of "The Locust" as he would ruin the illicit "crops" of criminals and hopefully create a new breed of citizen to do the same

As time grew on. Life took a different turn for the crimefighter, he met a woman namedAmanda, and they had two boys Alec, and Franklin. And Morrison started relegated his life as the Locust to "part time"

When his Father passed away and Morrison inherited his company ("offically" at least. Morrison had technicaly been runnign things for some time) He came across various confidentaly documents. While they did not reveal anythign illicit, it was obvious to those who read between the lines that Kane Pharmeceuticals had turned a blind eye in various shady deals which ultimately earned themselves huge kickbacks in turn for "allowing" various products and funds to be laundered through the company.

With this revelation, Morrison started spending more time investigated in his civilian ID at board meetings, after hours office parties and other business events builiding evidence that not only implicated other businesess, but other high profile individuals in Tenbray Falls, with this information in hand he went to the district attorney, reveled he was the Locust and began what would be called in Tenbray Falls as "the Big Bust"

The Defense had tried to use Morrisons life as the Locust to have the case thrown out of court. But as Mossison had come forth with his dual life and made it known that the most damning evidence came from his civilian life, and not his nocturnal prowlings, the evidence was admitted
The defense also did everything they could to slow down the proceedings, and started to being case after case against "the Locust"...hoping he would get the hint and drop his testimony. In a display of heroism. Morrison Kane not ony did not back down, butstated he would accept any legal judgement aginst him for ebing the Locust

In the end, for exchange for his evidence and testimony, Morrison Kane was "only" sentenced to 5-10 years. Due to the high profile nature of his case, and that many would like to see either the Locust or Morrison dead, the place of his imprisonment is unknown except to a few authoriteis and his family, who Morrison has asked not to visit to keep it's location secret

many now debate about wether hsi impisonment is a cautonary tale, for or against doing "the right thing"
Power Category: Special Training (secret operative) Level 7
Plot Seed one: Where is the Locust imprisoned? many think he is in a some hellohole prison where every day is a fight for survival for the 53 year old aging crimefighter, Others believe he is in a "country club" prison where life isn't much worse than that of the middle class american. And others say he is doing "community service" as either a "normal" agent for the FBI, DEA, NSA or CIA, and lastly theres a rumor he is still fighting carime under a new identity, maybe even as part of one of the KirkmanAct superteams!

Plot Seed 2: The Locust left a number of "locust Nests" all over the city containing additional weapons, computer files and even a few "Locustmobiles". And of theese "Nests" could be found by the player charcacters or NPC's, giving them ready access to a small base and gear. While others may find themselves having to deal with a new hero or villian who found the gear before them

Plot seed 3: The Family. while Amanda Kane loved her husband. She has enjoyed the noteriety she has gained by being the wife of the man who caused the big bust. While this has made her infamous in some high society circles, she still finds those would snub her giving her a wide berth as they don't want to anger the woman whose husband but many of thier family members away. While still faithful to her husband physicaly, Amanda does enjoy being "escorted" about town by other playboys, celebrities, sports stars and the occassional superhero...scandal ensues
Alec who is now 14, thinks his dad is the greatest. While he was doing "undercover work" alec often helped his dad collolate and make sense of date he found (IQ: 22) A straight A student Alec would love to be a crimefighter someday, but dosne't see himself as the athlectic sort so will probably lead a normal life...well as normal as a genius child of a weatlthy family can be
Frank who is 17, resnts his Father. He feels his father wasted his life in "goofy tights" for no reason. He sees no reason why someone should interfere with another mans vices if they're not hurting anyone but themselves. Definite of Anarchist bent, Frank could easily become a supervillian. However while fit, he does not have the prowess to be a "training-type" character, but if fate stepped in......

Plot Seed Four; The Locust was a member of a super-team, at leats part time. "The Last Line", based out of Detroit was a powerful "four color" superteam. the Locusts involvement with such a high profile team was in hopes that some of his temmates might "geust star" in Tenbray Falls and help him in his war on crime. Only mildly succesful, many members of the Last Line feel guilty and have decided to "look in on" Tenbray Falls from time to time until Locust returns. Being "four color" they are not used to the seedier sides of life, and can be a bit harsh and judgemental on those they feel are not looking after thier friend's city properly

End part 2
Genhuman
Wanderer

Just wanna say, from our group, thanks for putting up your sandbox for us to play around in. Will probably change to a different setting anow, as the GM almost pulled off a TPK this past Friday. (I was the only survivor :-D )

Once again, thanks.

More human than human.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

TheRealJenk wrote:I have several cities I created for my campagn setting:

Bastion Bay, Michigan--the site of a major alien invasion (a Salar mystic-
created portal directly in the waters of the Bay).

Empire City, Illinois--the most advanced city in the world due to its
founder, the Mega-villianous Emperor.

Trapp City, New Jersey-- crime-rate capital of the US, despite, or because of
the high number of vigilantes trying to bring down the Crime Family.

San Isabelle, New Mexico--home to an ill-fated attempt by the Nightlords
to usher in the Dark Day.

New Cavalier and Chevallier, Louisiana-- Twin cities with related premier
super teams

Hammerton Bay, aka The Hammer, Washington-- protected by the Mega
Duplicator Sentinel 7, the city has a strictly enforced 'No Costumes
Allowed" policy.

Really like the hammerton Bay idea....reminds me of "Elseworld's finest" where Batgirl had turned Gotham into a "cape free" zone...a mega Duplicator though...thats awesome, sounds liek ti could be a borderline police state with "big brother" everywhere

New Cavalier and Cheavllier....hmmmsomethign about two prmier superteams in twin cites....gears are working....once I get done with Tenbray falls, may have to start another city.....
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Part 3 Anti-Heroes

Catharsis 1/"The Whistler"

Pocket Origin: Up until age nine, Desiree Tanner's life was the definition of "upper middle class. Her mother was a housewife. And her father was a corporate real estate agent, who traveled throughout the midwest showing properties to to various corporate buiness owners
Desiree lived in a large four bedroom house, enjoyed family vacations to California and the Bahammas, and was looking forward to aplanned family trip to Europe. Christmas never disapointed. And there was even talk by her parents to send thier bright child to private school.
However what Desiree's family did not know was that her father was not a great salesman, oh sure, he did well enough to support his family, but the higher quality lifestyle they led was a result that Mr.Tanner was actualy a drug courier for the mob. mr Tanner would travelacross the midwest carrying "product" which he would then leve stashed in the empty properties he was supposed to "sell". A prospective "buyer" would go with him to visit the building and the exchange was made.
This worked out well until Mr.Tanner suspected he was being watched by DEA agents. ina panic he destroyed over 3 million dollars of drugs that was stashed in 5 houses over the course of a weeked to throw off the agents. This did not go over well, One night in full view of Desiree three masked men broke into the Tanner home and killed mr. Tanner and his wife, the orders were to kill the children as well, but the gunmen in a small act of mercy were not able to bring themselves to shoot "kids" before fleeing.

Everything else happened quickly after that. Desiree and her four year old brother were placed in fostercare, and the murder investigation revealed the Tanner's supplementary source of income which was then confscated by the agents....But worst of all.....Desiree could no longer see

Doctors called it a conversion disorder, otherwise known as "hysterical blindness". Her eyes and an optic nerves were in perfect working condition, but since witnessing her parents murder her brain refuses to accept information from them. Over the next few years she learned to cope and adapt. As she grew older she realised she had a beautiful speaking voice, persued a career in broadcasting and settled in tenbray falls as a disc Jockey for a small Jazz radio station.....thats when people started dying
Nothing Superhuman or supernatural was evident in the killings. Sniper shots, at a decent range, if anything realtively "close" (it's not believed that the Sniper has had any military or police training, just simply having a hunter's skill with a rifle) The killings happened right after the Locusts's testimony on tenbray falls corruption, but before th "Big Bust" could occur.....and certainly no one suspects a blind woman of making a sniper shot from hundreds of yards away
But yes Desiree Tanner is the sniper,and yes she is still blind. an Empowered superhuman with psychic abilities Desiree can "sense" her targets, even at long range.
Her Sniper rifle components are concealed on her person, except for the flash suppressor/barrell which is disguised as a blind person's cane/grip. Desiree mainly uses the "cane" as a prop, relying on her psychic abilities to get around, and not wanting to damgae her rifle. Percetive Pc's may note that the widthlength of her "cane" seems off, and is not collapsible like many modern versions
She also has a trained doberman named "Murdock" (named after "Howling Mad" or "Matt"...take your pick)...while Murdock is trained, it's not as a service animal (Desiree dosen't need one) but as an attack dog. Murdock usually watches Desiree's back as she takes aim, and Desiree also stores rifle compnents/aummunition in his harness.

Disposition/Tactics: While Catharsis seems possessed of a "typical" Vigilante mindset. She cares nothign for law & order or even revenge. Killing makes her "feel better", she mainly chooses criminals and high profile monsters as her targets because a.) Police, crimefighters and the general public are less sympathetic about the deaths of "scum"...and b.) wether she knows it or not, it really is "cathartic" for her killing the types of people that killed her parents. That being said she is cold blooded and usually only needs a "legitimate" excuse to kill. Exposing her identity, or attempting to arrest her may qualify.

Creation/Stats: Catharsis I is a 5th level Imbued character (anarchist alingment), with the disadvantage of blindness. among her psychic sensitive abilities are object read, see aura, astral projection and total recall...other abilities as appropriate.
The ability to kill her targets is a very (very!) broad interpretation of object read, and may need to be be considered a seperate ability altogether. How it works is she makes casual contact with the target, a hanshake, or a "clumsy bump" and gets a "read" on the target (being a very minor celebrity, and attractive to boot this usually isn't too difficult). The target is then a "blip" in her minds eye. As long as she stay within aproximatly 500 yards (100 yards per level) she knows the targets relative position, range and overall health/frame of mind. Once she actualy has a sniper posiion selected, She uses Astral projection to make sure she has a clear line of fire with no obstructions or innocent bystanders. returning to her body she uses Total recal to keep track of the layout and relative position.
Her Cane/Rifle was not created by her, but was bult by a gunsmith in Redlawn. It uses standard 7,62 ammunition, . And Desiree is profiecient enough to be able to rebore the barrell after each hit (-20% to forensics/ballistics)

Plot Seeds: her "codename" Catharsis 1, is not something she gave herself or is even aware of. it's a designation given to her by a goverment agency wish is attempting to take serial killers and thier ilk, and turn them torwards the right targets (think "Dexter" meets "The Dirty Dozen" by way of "La Femme Nikita". The public knows her currently as "the Whistler" named for the sound of her bullets whistling through the air as the first shot misses her target (this is intentional, while others believ this is the fault of poor marksmanship, the "whistling misses" are actualy warning shots to encourage bystanders to duck....if no bystanders are present she usually hits with her first shot

Plot Seed 2: Someone has discovered Catharsis identity. it could be a reporter, the gunsmith who created her cane, or someone close to the PC's...while not evil (yet) Desiree will go to extreme lengths to scare the target into leving town or keeping quiet (shots through the windshield on the drive to work, or bullet in the front door as they leave for work) However with her loose code, she dosen't need much of an "excuse" to protect her ID....if the reporter is cheating on his wife, or the Gunsmith also makes weapons for street gangs members, she may go for "kill shots"

Plot Seed 3 Catharsis is not beyond redemption, she can possibly be "redeemed" to an Unscrupulous alingment (almost zero chance of ever being "good") and is borderline Aberrant Evil as it is (though she could very easily slide further to Miscreant or Diabolic, some claim she already has) But how to go about it? With her psych profile and blindness it's doubtful if caught she would do ahrd time, she would more than likely be institutionalized, that is if that goverment agency dosen't get her first. But how else to redeem her? Maybe her brother who she hasn't seen in 20 years may be able to help.

End Part 3
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Psychic Omni Sight?
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Considered Psychic omni-sight, but niether "Psionic senses", or "Psionic Sight" allows for it as an option, and havign her as a a psionic even a latent would make her too powerful at later levels

besides I liked the idea of her having to get close to a target to "mark" him first, and if I was going to stretch the rules as it is, adiffernet version of object read seems to work better than POS
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

ok...Anti-heroes..characters part 4

"The Walker" Level 4 Minor Mutant w/ Invulnerability & Unnoteworthy/forgettable (Anarchist)

Some would actualy claim that Estevan "Stefan" Medina came from a family of immortals. This is not true, well his family ages, maybe a decade or two longer than other folk, and they certainly die. No a better description is that the Medinas have a reputation as "unkillable"

See roughly 2 in 5 of Stefans family have the particular genetic quirk og having the Major Super Ability of Invulerability. This quirk has appeared for generations as far back as the family can trace, to the early days of the family's origins in Spain.
The family took pains to hide this in the early days. Originaly to keep from being branded witches, but later on as a family secret that would allow thier enemies to underestimate thier power. The fact that the "unkillable ones" sometimes manifested additional super abilities didn't hurt either

Having no fear of violent death, the Medina's....even the non invulnerable ones took on risky and violent professions. Explorers, Soldiers and Adventurers. these risk takes built a decent fortune over the centuries...so while it would be unfair to claim the Medina's are "filthy rich"...the Medina's have never wanted for anything

Stefan wanted more. This wasn't uncommon, as many "unkillables" turn out to be adrenaline junkies in thier early years...but the rush fades quickly when there is little real risk. Stefan however has a vision.

He wants his family to "come out of the closet"....being that he believes that in a world of superhumans, Aliens and magic, that there is little need to hide anymore. That if they showed there strenth in masse they could change the world.....what a concept! what a rush!

As you might have geussed, while Stefan has bigger dreams than the rest of his unkillable clan, he is mostly suffering from boredom. While he will not do anything to undermine his family or thier strength. He may take foolish risks.

As such his family's Patriarch has given him a task. He is to go to Tenbray Falls and find the "Six Immortals"....long lived or otherwise unkillable superhumans who have also decided to remain out of the public eye. If he can get even one of the Immortals to rejoin the world, the Patriarch will consider Stefan's ideas.
In reality the Patriarch knows the Immortals very well, and knows why they have fallen out of the public eye, he hopes Stefan will meet one or more of the Six Immortals and one will give him a "wake up call"

Stefan has already had some success. He has tracked one of the Six down who owns a nightclub in the Hepstone part of town (The Haunt)...the nightclub, called "Glass Mirage" is frequented by many of the wealthy elite, and even in the post "Big Bust" era has many afluent criminals among it's clientele.

Stefan has made a habit of simply "walking" into the club...not too difficult with his Unnoteworthy ability, pulls out a matched pair of 45's and starts shooting up the place, this has happened three times already and the more unsavory types have had enough, and are starting to take action....the Nightclubs owner however has not taken any apparent action as of yet as Stefan planned

Now that he has been thrust into the role of crimefighter, Stefan is quickly finding himself over his head. He has been lucky so far as he is currently believd to be somethign in between a "gun carrying nut" or some supernatural entity/urban legend. He is striving to hide his invulnerability as once criminals realize he is "just another superhuman" thier tactics will change and he may find himself in REAL trouble, it's an adreneline rush he wasn't expecting, despite his deameanor...is it fear?

Appearance/Tactics: for years "The Walker" wore a black leather duster concealing two .45 automatics in a twin shoulder rig, hwoever after "the black trenchcoat" fell out of favor in the 90's, he's taken to wearing a black leather jacket and fedora (think Indiana Jones, in black)
Its noteworthy to comment that The Walker, uses his "unnoteworthy, unforgettable" ability to it's utmost. While it won't allow him to enter a black tie affair in his "costume", he can otherwise "blend in"....bouncers can't remember if he's been "checked out" yet or not, kitchen staff can't recall if they hired an extra waiter fot the evenign or not. Typicaly as long as he dosen't draw attention to himself, such as entering combat or ebing someplace aperson acting/dressing like himself definitely should not be, he can usually get closer to his targets than he should be, This has resulted in a couple of "myths" that he tries to take advantage of

Myth#1 The fact that he suddenly "appears" out of nowhere with guns blazing, has led others to believe that he gains access to places by superhuman/supernatural means, when really it's more due to luck, and skill and yes unnoteworthy helps0, this coupled with the ability that he casualy "walks" through gunfire without a care in the world lends other to believe that if he is superhuman it's a result of an ability such as Intangibility, not invulnerability

Myth #2. Mainy of The Walker's shots are extremely accurate, and he has been seen to shoot guns out of others hands. this has led others to believehe a supernatural shot. In reality, being Invulnerbale means you can always take time to aim, and a +4 bonus to aimed shots is nothign to sneeze at. It dosen't stop the rumors though that his bullets can go around corners and never miss thier mark.

it's also worth noting that Stefan is not a "casual killer"...at least not usualy. Despite the number of bullets he has put in criminals they have almost always walked out of the hospital. Part of this reason is due to his aimed shots, and he is really out to scare others, not engage in a massacre. That being said, there have been deaths attributed to him. A few are simply a result of "friendly fire" and "collateral damage" when the criminals he attacks fire back. Only two have died as a direct result of his shots. One was simply a "bad shot" (rolled a one), and another was when he clipped an enforced in the leg, attempting to simply drop him, it penetrated the femoral artery and he bled to death
While Stefan did not wish it to happen, he dosen't really regret it either. While only just now is beginning to understand a risk to his life and his family . His invulnerability gives him a detached view. ...Criminals are the "bad guys", and if one dies, it has the emotional impact of killing an opponent in Call of Duty

Plot Seed #1 While the Walker has "laid off" of the Glass Mirage for the time being. Te clientele still arrives nightly for one of the best clubs found outside of the Crest. However the criminals who frequent the nightclub don't know that. as of late they have spared no expense on extranormal bodyguards, the cheaper among them may have a bodyguard with one or two bionic or eugenic upgrades, while the wealthier patrons have psychics or magic users (remember many think of the Walker as a supernatural being)....while The Walker does not play directly into this scenario, it does five the gm to an excuse to stock a public place with superhuman thugs....maybe a deal is going on in a private back room, and the PC's need to get in...but can't due to the high number of superhuman individuals, more than should "normallY' be at a "regular" place of business

Plot Seed #2 The PC's are sorely lacking in destective/streetwise skills, hearing about the Walker they try to look him up for help...only to find out he is no where near the "brooding avenger" he appears to be (he's not bad, but only 4th level). Not only that they are then present when the locl underworld launches a retalitory attack on Stefan...and the PC's aren't invulnerable!

Plot Seed #3 The Pc's either after plot seed #2 atteempt to confront Stefan...or perhaps they are trying to being him in for his vigilante "rampage"...however the Walker they confornt is much more capable than Stefan. Not only is he Invulnerbale, but is alos more skilled (8th level) and has additional more potent super abilities (superhuman strength (minor) and Stretch Time (major))
This is Stefans older brother Rico...apparently the Medina Patriarch feels that "little Estevan" is making a royal mess in Tenbray Falls, and sent Rico to either straighten him out or bring him home. The PC's may be caught off guard at how competent "this" Walker is....they may even think the real one id a fake! Unless something dramatic happens, Rico dsoen't plan on staying. He has an excellent job already in California as a fashion photographer, and has no plans to clean up after his little brother longer than necessary
(also note that due to Stefans unnoteworthy ability, they won't immediately be able to tell than Estevan and Rico are not teh same person)

End Part 4
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Juce734 »

I will say it again. You have done something great here! This is really in depth and will add to my games so thank you.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

lol thanks. As long as the views keep going up and I get the occasional pat on the back I'll keep expanding....pretty much have the next dozen or so entries already figured out, just takes time to write that typo filled mess

next "chapters"
The "almost heroes" of Tenbray Falls
I have the "more bully than villain" types...think Billy Zabka all grown up
a couple of villians, one is from Redlawn, the other from Appleton
the Six Immortals alluded to in "The Walker"
(want to have a couple more "chapters" for villians...maybe even a team)

Staying away from kirkman act sponsored teams (thats mostly a role meant for PC's), though considering at least doing the Metcalf Patrol)

a half dozen criminals, politicians, reports and policemen....normals in Tenbray Falls

Organizations C.A.U.T.I.O.N (yes have the acronym figured out) and The Order of St.Rigas

Places: An abandoned construction site where a new prison was going to be built, Chandler House, the Ad Hoc city hall of Tenbray Falls, and Lieberman Hall a semi public/semi permanent headquarters for superheroes while the Kirkman Act is started

have a number of supercharacter "ideas" though wonder if too many are screwed up, mercenary, or incompetent, but that may just fit the "theme" of the city
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Why not give Walker the minor of Targeting or something to make him more accurate? Just wondering.
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Simply because he's not a super accurate gunman. At best he has the makings of mysterious vigilante once he gets his act together....at the worst he's a douche with a very powerful gimmick thats going to get the wrong people killed.

I wanted t make a charcter who creates a legend that is bigger than the reality, hence the "myths" that have sprung up regarding his supposed Intangibility or superhuman accuracy....he's not a bad shot by any means, But the public believes otherwise which he thinks is "really cool"

His brother Rico in plot seed three is more of the uber powerful "Matrix meets the Shadow" type with hsi super strenth, Stretch Time and Invulnerability....But Stefan? he's just a guy with two guns and a gimmick. If I wanted him to be moreof a threat I woud taken away the "minor" part of being a mutant and swapped say unnoteworthy for the Major Ability of Personal Recognition (which I considered)
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Invulnerability is a pretty hefty major for a "minor hero", I might trade it for the 2 minors that make him immune to both high and low speed kinetic impact. Or perhaps 3 minors and add energy resistance...
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Well he's only a "minor" mutant as far as the rules for Minor Heroes in PU2...he has only one Major and one minor ability (a normal mutant with one major still has at least two minor abilities)

regardless, if anything about The Walker seems cool enough to add to your campaign, take it and run with it! I'm flattered just to have "readers"

whatever you make the Walker's major power, to leep his "theme"
it should keep a couple things in mind
1.) it should be inobvious enough that observers won't know exactly what it is (most Alter Physical Structure abilities wouldn't work for this reason)
2.) As it allowed the Medina family to rise to power over the last few centuries, it should be somethignthat would have been useful during that time. Techno Form or catastrophic system failure would be of very limited use during the 1600's if they existed at all. And it would be hard to create a small familial empire if your family members just had Super Consumption or Orbital spheres
3.) Lastly it should be something that feed thier ego...makes someone like The Walker feel like he can get away with murderEctoplasmic Webbing, Slime Generation and Mega-Tail are useful abilities, but lack a certain....dignity
AlanGunhouse
Champion

True enough, by the book. My variation of the minor hero rules I ruled some powers are too potent for minor heroes (including Invulnerability).
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Chapter 5...A little light

Endymion/ Kurt Hamilton; 4th level Physical training, focus on Agility & Speed, but has traded his special combat abilities for a martial Art (Arnis; Rifter #7 pages 50-52) with the body hardening exercises of "Kick Practice" and "Stone Ox")....is currently scrupulous but sliding to Unscrupulous fast

Many crimefighters begi thier careers after they learn a harsh lesson like "great power comes with great responsibility", others decided to become a costumed crusader whenwhen thier parents are murdered before them in a dark alleyway

Not Kurt Hamilton. When he was 8 years old his family was witness to a bank robbery in Chicago that was thwartedby a a hero called the Golden Titan. Some were relieved, and others thankful at The Golden Titan's intervention, but not Kurt. To his eight year old eyes seeing a superhero action was simply beautiful...a repeating image burned into his mind....he knew what he wanted to do with his life

Despite his young years, he was smart enough not to do anythign rash. Afterall some of his classmates wanted to be firemen, but you didn't see them runnign into burning buildings.
He applied himself to his studies, graduating a year early. He then attended college getting a Master's in Finance, with a minor in criminal justice. When he wasn't studying he spent his time in Gyms in Dojos learning the physical aspects of what he would need to be a crimefighter.

When thought he was ready at age 25 he bought himself a loft in the Hepstone district of Tenbray Falls. Despite being a native of Chicago, he felt Tenbray falls would be the perfect place to start his career, especialy in the "big Bust" era. With his new profession as an investment banker, he was able to make his own hours to devote as much time as he wanted to his "hobby".

Now this would normaly eb the end of a fairly typicla modern backstory. Except that Kurt never really had to face the harsh realities of the world that an "urban vigilante" has to face. Having spent nearly two decades of his life in classrooms and gyms with almost no social life to speak of, he had a very myopic view of the world.

Oh sure things went well in the first few months, stopping bank robbers in Hepstone, or Recreational drug dealers in the Crest (he recieved a cool reception from the public in redlawn, and a lukewarm one in Barrow Point) but he was satisfied and felt off to a "good start", and was even lookign forward to facing off against his first "super villian"

Then he busted up a crackhouse that had a dead neglected child in one of the rooms....a couple weeks later when he was tryign to track down a serial rapist on hehalf of one of his victims...the girl commited suicide.....week after week, month after month, Kurt is constantly being barraged with a grim and gritty world that dosne't mesh with his "four color" outlook. And it's hitting him hard. He's beginnign to see his nighly patrols as more of a "job" or "habit" than anything he actualy enjoys, ad has found his alingment already slide down from Principled to Scrupulous. He dosen't know it yet, but he does have "friends" who wnat to make sure he dosne't slide any farther...wether they succeed, and what part the PC's have to play in it remains to be seen.

Plot Seed #1 the most obvious plot seed when it comes to Endymion is his slow decent froma bright eyed champion of justice to something more grim. remember Kurt hamilton, unlike "The Whisperer" is a really nice guy, he just chose the wrong town to start his career in (he's more "Metropolis" than"Gotham City")
PC's can run into Endymion at any point, he might help them out in stopping some "mundane" crime or vice versa. he'll be polite, helpful, pretty much the typical image of a byscout....that just happens to enjoy beating criminals with his Escrima sticks. this should not be the first time he's encountered "like this" afew meetings here and there over time will drive home the point that he the archetypical "Dudley Doright" type
Over the next few meetings his cape will have fallen in disrepair, hastily fixed, damaged again and then take even longer to fix, he'll be unshave half the time, and sometimes seem liek he's "phoning his appearance in"
Then during another meeting, Endymion will hit an otherwise helpless criminal hard just one more time than necessary....instead of bad puns and one liners he'll scream "I'm going to cripple you mother-f--!" (wether he follows through or not)
all in all the PC's shuld be aware of his changes, and what (if anything they should do is in thier hands)

Plot Seed #2....or maybe not. Turns out that Kurt has a nieghbor. a single woman who despite he over sized glassess, frumpy dresses and ack of make up, cleans up very well...in fcat very VERY well in a "She's All That"/ "Not Another Teen Movie" way....and she's been been flirting with Kurt, encouraging him to get out more, and all in all "get a life"
if that seems just a little too "hollywood"...well it is, this neighbor is actualy an agent of C.A.U.T.I.O.N. They have taken it upon themselves to "save" Endymion. By giving him a close buddy/hot girlfriend type to help him not only deal with the issues he's going through, but to help him adjust socialy. The agent "is" normally a knockout. But as Endymion has had little expierience with the opposite sex...a less "intimidating" appearance was felt warranted
A PC whose worried about Endymion's state of mind may be suspucious of this woman who hangs around him And may do some investigating...what willt he PC's do when they realize that however well meaning, she's a "fake"....do they expose her? and if they do will that be enough to send Endymion over the edge?
NOTE: this isn't the first time C.A.U.T.I.O.N has used such tactics. any potentional love intrest of a NPC (or PC!) can be "female concience"...plucky girl reporters fashion model "girls next door", the hard nosed but caring boss....wether they are all 'real " or not is irrelevant if it makes the PC's paranoid

Plot Seed #3 Grudge Match! it seems Endymion thought he was up for his first offical 'team up" when hec ame across what he thought was another crimefighter having a shoot out with some well dressed thugs. Unfortunately this other "hero" was The Walker, who not understanding his intent, but a bullet in Endymion's arm before runnign off and leaving Endymion at the thugs mercy. After narrowly escaping Endymion was equal parts shocked and pissed (this was his first bullet wound). Both Endymion and the Walker use "The Haunt" as thier stomping grounds, and now Endymion stays on constant lookout for The Walker so he can take his aggression out of the gunman.
Without his pistols, The Walker dosen't have the skills to be a threat to a prepared Endymion. and Endymion can't hurt The Walker since he gave up his power punch/kick abilities for his martial art.
Still is it really healthy thatEndymion uses another as his personal punching bag, invulnerable or no? What if he spends so much time performing a beat down that he lest ther crime slip awya? Will is be a wake up call, or will he childishly blame the Walker?
For his part, The Walker is mystified at all this hostility, and dosen't understand why Endymion has it out for him ("A bullet wound? What a pansy") he does realize he has enough to worry about without having a "stalker" and it's hard to be a "dark and mysterious" mystery man when a guy is breaking his clubs over your (invulnerable) skull on the sidewalk....maybe he'ss return the beatdown......with PC's watching

End part 5
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I try to balance my cities between the East C and the West Coast with a few in the middle of the country
bathawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by bathawk »

Chapter 6

Rayna Wheeler/Sunshower
"Don't call her "Lil Miss Sunshine"

2nd level mutant, (scrupulous) Minor abilities (3): Energy Expulsion: light, Solar powered, Wingless flight, Major super ability: Rainmaker, Unusual Characterestics: Stark White skin (albino),Odd face (angelic, beautiful)

Mr. and Mrs Wheeler didn't expect to ahve a child with albinism. mrs. wheeler blamed her husbands job at the pharmaceutical plant nestled between the Redlawn and Appleton neighborhoods, and for a while it seemed like they would split up over thier daughter's condition. but because of thier daughter they decided to "stick it out"

They needn't have worried

Despite her lack of pigmentation. Rayna didn't suffer any of the usual drawbacks that afflict those with a similar condition. She didn't burn in hot summer sun, and she didn't suffer from light sensitivity. In fact she loved the outdoors, and the brighter and hotter the day was the better she liked it.

To help with ability to "fit in" when she entered her teenage years. Rayna started dayeing her hair red, and wore green colored contacts (her vision was otherwise more than perfect). This coupled with her anglic face and pale skin tone gave her an uneathly "willowly" beauty. This made her super popular in school, She was on the cheeleading squad (The "Nightingales"...."GO Nighthawks!") And was dating the the fullback of the football team, about to start her senior year, everything was looking up for Rayna....

....then she learned she could fly

Now rayna didn't bemoan her newfound abilities. But it was a comlication her life could have done without. Learning her body had been absorbing UV rays to power her new abilities was a nice explanation. But suddenly going "airborne" in the middle of a cheer during the homecoming game made any chance of fitting in impossible.

on one hand her popularity skyrocketed. At least on the surface. Everyone from Kirkman act superteams, to Appleton research companies were knocking on her door, offering her everything from six figure salaries, to full scholarships for "exclusive rights" to her. At school though....Her boyfriend broke up with herbecause he was jealous of all the attention other boys were showering her. And her friends started leaving her in droves... (beauty, brains, popular AND she has superpowers?...what a spoiled skank!")...Plus everyone was....expecting things of her...something about "great power comes...something, something, something"

Don't get her wrong, she has a good heart, And if it comes to getting kittens out of trees, or rescuing the elderly from a burning building...she's there. But controllign the weather and flyingg, dosen't make her bulletproof. So she's not going to go out on "patrol" or face off against the Slaughterhouse Seven!

Appearance: Sunshower dosen't have a costume per say, but she does wear her black and gold Nightingales Cheerleader outfit most days she's at school, and school is where trouble usually finds her. She used to wear her red-dyed hair long, but it kept getting messed up/tangled when flying at high speeds, so now she wears it it just above shoulder length

Plot Seed #1 Was exposure to somethign at Mr.Wheelers job responsible for Raynas mutation? maybe. regardless, this company (Nutridyne) is one of the most disreputable in Tenbray Falls. While nt responsible for anythign blatantly illegal on paper at least, the company is well known for cutting corners, and skirting the law as far as what is accepatable (and thus avoided the "Big Bust"). What makes it worse hwoever is that Nutridyne is showering Mr. Wheeler with "gifts"...promotions, raises, company car...all in hopes they he can persuade his daughter to join the "Nutridyne family". And it's working...dazzled by his new poition at work Mr.Wheeler is putting pressure on his daughter.....What does Mr.Wheeler, or Rayna do when teh PC's find out just how currupt Nutridyne is?

Plot Seed #2 Rayna is really frustrated. Despite the fact that superpowers should open doors for her. She feels her choices are being taken away from her by her parents and all the companies that are "scouting her"...She really DOSEN'T want to be a superhero (she wants to be a meterologist). But she may find the choice taken out of her hands When the Order of St.Rigas attacks during a football game.
The Order's force is realtively small. They really don't need a substantial force. After all, Rayna is only second level with no hand to hand skill, and should be easy pickings....this is where the PC's come in....while the Order's force may be small, they are attacking during a packed football stadium (albiet high school sized) and the PC's will have thier hands full guarding the public from stray shots.
Afterwards maybe a PC can help instruct Rayna on self defense, she IS nearing 3rd evel, and could use Hand-to-hand: basic

Plot Seed #3 One of her families "gifts" from nutridyne was to a high scale Italian resturant in the Hepstone part of town, that unfortunately known for catering to Mobsters as much as it was known for it's linguini. On the night Rayna's family visited, the Walker arrived and shot upthe place (no injuries this time, just a "scare tactic"
Despite his "unnoteworthyness" Rayna though the Walker's "dark & mysterious" nature made him "all kinds of hot"...and on the rebound from being dumped developed a crush
She has only seent the Walker on one other occassion....when Endymion was trying futily tobash his brains out.
Now Sunshower is goign out on patrols in the "The Haunt" tryign to bring Endymion to "justice" as she somehow sees Endymion as the badguy (despite the face he was brutally atttacking the guy who shot up her dinner....teenagers) Endymion however is not in the mood, especialy the way he's been feeling lately....the PC;s come across the two of them in a lopsighted fight downtown (He won't hit a naieve girl, she can barely hit the broad side of a barn)...property damage is growing...what do the PC's do? whose side if any do they take?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”