So what is your deal-breaker?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Re: So what is your deal-breaker?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Grell wrote:When games turn into in character orgies (where the male players are playing female characters) I punch out. Luckily it only happened once, but the scars run deep.

So deep.

Knew a male player who had to be banned from playing female characters for playing really bad stereotypes. Even know a player needs my approval to play the opposite gender because of him.

The good RPers can play the female characters so well that if they couldn't see the guy a woman would think it was an actual woman playing the character.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Nightmask wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:
Grell wrote:When games turn into in character orgies (where the male players are playing female characters) I punch out. Luckily it only happened once, but the scars run deep.

So deep.

Knew a male player who had to be banned from playing female characters for playing really bad stereotypes. Even now a player needs my approval to play the opposite gender because of him.

The good RPers can play the female characters so well that if they couldn't see the guy a woman would think it was an actual woman playing the character.

I know they are out there as I have had them as PC but the bad ones are really bad.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

if i start gming again , i going to bring my paper shredder
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:if i start gming again , i going to bring my paper shredder

Then you better make sure that your players' characters are written up on YOUR paper with YOUR pencils or YOUR destroying private property, it doesn't matter if you GM'd the game, it doesn't make the character yours, a player will view you pulling their character from them and shredding it as a personal affront. I don't recall ever saying a harsh word before MVP, but that is all kinds of jackassery going on there. It is one thing to say your character is dead and make them roll up another character, leaving the player upset and maybe a little angry but that fades and the fun comes back and the player can resurrect the character in a different game. It is quite another to to tell them their character is dead, take it from them and destroy it, that leads to outright hostility, hatred and development of revenge plots (i.e. remember who you do that to and never play a game with them as GM... cuz they'll remember). I personally use all my old characters for games later on.

You destroy my stuff I walk, that would be the only thing to make me walk, complete and utter disrespect.

Others may recreate that destroyed character in a game they GM and make them ream your backside, in the game, with a sand paper condom. (supposed to evoke images that are both horrific and at the same time comedic, except one particularly sick group of people, that I don't want to meet.)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

I always think that the best RPers should be best at playing roles they are given not roles that they make. It is easy to play your own character who can really critique when it is your concepts. It is another game entirely when you are given premades at random and are expected to play them by what is on the sheet. I hope that during the '09 POH I played the bounty hunter, in the BtS haunted house game, well. I hope Kevin thougt my portrayal of the rogue with death trance good. I know he like me jumping on all the dead bad guys and stabbing them to make sure they were dead because "I have death trance and don't know if they do... so I'm just making sure." I love playing the premade and performing to try to get the aproving nod from the GM. It's even better if it is preceeded by the, huh??? are you doing slack jaw look (like the one Kevin gave me with the rogue). In these cases it is acceptable to pull your (the GM) character from the player and destroy it. It would make me sad but it is the GM's character... speaking of, I asked to get that bounty hunter character from the haunted house game e-mailed to me, anyone remember who ran that?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

For our group, having NPCs so munchkinly overpowered that they're expressly designed to railroad the PCs into following the 'story'. I recall a HU game where I was playing a guy with 80 SN PS. I slam a car into a guy, and he just stood there. Didn't even blink, according to the GM. Throughout that battle, I counted that the NPC (and his 5 clones) had no less than 5 Major Powers. And yes, I should have lost.
That's when I closed my notebook and put on a movie. When the GM asked what's going on, I just told himm, "Sorry man, I'm done. Suspension of belief only goes so far."
wyrmraker
Hero

Shawn Merrow wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

So deep.

Knew a male player who had to be banned from playing female characters for playing really bad stereotypes. Even now a player needs my approval to play the opposite gender because of him.

I know they are out there as I have had them as PC but the bad ones are really bad.

Been there. We have a guy in our group who used to be infamous for in-game orgies. Only took one time of him hijacking the game for his fantasy orgy before we shut him down. Fast. The second time he tried it, I (the GM at the time) told him I'd get back to him. Almost 2 hours of intensive roleplay with the other guys followed (with him trying to butt in, and me reminding him that he was still in his orgy), until I got back to him. Yes, I'll admit I totally ignored him during that period. After the game, he told me he didn't like getting ignored, and I returned that I didn't like him trying to hijack the game to fulfill his fantasies when the rest of us are there to game. He hasn't tried it since.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

wyrmraker wrote:Been there. We have a guy in our group who used to be infamous for in-game orgies. Only took one time of him hijacking the game for his fantasy orgy before we shut him down. Fast. The second time he tried it, I (the GM at the time) told him I'd get back to him. Almost 2 hours of intensive roleplay with the other guys followed (with him trying to butt in, and me reminding him that he was still in his orgy), until I got back to him. Yes, I'll admit I totally ignored him during that period. After the game, he told me he didn't like getting ignored, and I returned that I didn't like him trying to hijack the game to fulfill his fantasies when the rest of us are there to game. He hasn't tried it since.

Well done. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

So deep.

Been there. We have a guy in our group who used to be infamous for in-game orgies. Only took one time of him hijacking the game for his fantasy orgy before we shut him down. Fast. The second time he tried it, I (the GM at the time) told him I'd get back to him. Almost 2 hours of intensive roleplay with the other guys followed (with him trying to butt in, and me reminding him that he was still in his orgy), until I got back to him. Yes, I'll admit I totally ignored him during that period. After the game, he told me he didn't like getting ignored, and I returned that I didn't like him trying to hijack the game to fulfill his fantasies when the rest of us are there to game. He hasn't tried it since.

So what your saying is time outs work on "adults" too?
wyrmraker
Hero

It wasn't so much a time-out as that we completely ignored him. The rest of the group was engaged in roleplay (big payday, just rolled into Arzno for the first time). And then we took off the next morning, as planned, and his character was unable to pick up new gear because the character was 'otherwise engaged'.
Although with his memory problems, it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot the lesson and tried it again. This time, however, we're doing a CS Special Forces campaign (new, customized OCC that fills in all the holes from CSWC). If his character tries hijacking, the other three members of the squad will kill his character. And we allow in-party killing, with appropriate justification.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:It wasn't so much a time-out as that we completely ignored him. The rest of the group was engaged in roleplay (big payday, just rolled into Arzno for the first time). And then we took off the next morning, as planned, and his character was unable to pick up new gear because the character was 'otherwise engaged'.
Although with his memory problems, it wouldn't surprise me if he forgot the lesson and tried it again. This time, however, we're doing a CS Special Forces campaign (new, customized OCC that fills in all the holes from CSWC). If his character tries hijacking, the other three members of the squad will kill his character. And we allow in-party killing, with appropriate justification.

Do you have children? That is what a time out is supposed to be. The goal is to make the child desire to be a part of the family by everyone else having fun. It isn't quite affective if you put the child in time out and then just sit around watching the child. Why would the child change their attitude, there is no point of trying to be part of a family that just likes to watch you suffer.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:if i start gming again , i going to bring my paper shredder

Then you better make sure that your players' characters are written up on YOUR paper with YOUR pencils or YOUR destroying private property, it doesn't matter if you GM'd the game, it doesn't make the character yours, a player will view you pulling their character from them and shredding it as a personal affront. I don't recall ever saying a harsh word before MVP, but that is all kinds of jackassery going on there. It is one thing to say your character is dead and make them roll up another character, leaving the player upset and maybe a little angry but that fades and the fun comes back and the player can resurrect the character in a different game. It is quite another to to tell them their character is dead, take it from them and destroy it, that leads to outright hostility, hatred and development of revenge plots (i.e. remember who you do that to and never play a game with them as GM... cuz they'll remember). I personally use all my old characters for games later on.

You destroy my stuff I walk, that would be the only thing to make me walk, complete and utter disrespect.

Others may recreate that destroyed character in a game they GM and make them ream your backside, in the game, with a sand paper condom. (supposed to evoke images that are both horrific and at the same time comedic, except one particularly sick group of people, that I don't want to meet.)

dead characters are forfeited to the GMs, if the player dont like it i show them the door`been like that since 80's , i seen players jump across tables and go after Gms because a killing of someone's character. then again the guys i used to play with you start screwing around in one of their games they would ask you to stop, then leave and the third strike they would punch you in the face and tell you dont come back. besides the sight of the paper shredder and besides i use character sheets which i pay for , so all i'm doing is shredding my paper.

then again if you being disrespectful of the other players and the GM , did you think i want you as a player.
Last edited by Mech-Viper Prime on Sat May 28, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:So what your saying is time outs work on "adults" too?

yup they work , i put a few adults in time out and in a different room, its was funny , one guy trying to get big and bad until he realized my best friend is bigger and badder then him

wyrmraker
Hero

It worked pretty well. And no, ZK, I don't have kids. But I do know what pisses people off. :D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the only games I'll get up and walk away from are the diceless ones.
had a bad exp. with a storyteller that wanted to run a game but didn't have his books, and didn't know what my char can do.(stats, powers, etc....)

However, the one good thing is that I got a good idea for a new type of realm to play in. I just hav'ta work out all the details (iow: do the writing about it)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

dead characters are forfeited to the GMs, if the player dont like it i show them the door`been like that since 80's , i seen players jump across tables and go after Gms because a killing of someone's character. then again the guys i used to play with you start screwing around in one of their games they would ask you to stop, then leave and the third strike they would punch you in the face and tell you dont come back. besides the sight of the paper shredder and besides i use character sheets which i pay for , so all i'm doing is shredding my paper.

then again if you being disrespectful of the other players and the GM , did you think i want you as a player.

Violence isn't tolerated at my table. You start a fight with another player or with the GM, you're out the door. Don't come back. In game combat is one thing. Out of game combat, well, find another place to settle your differences and don't return to my home.

This rule was developed after a three hundred pound man bodychecked me "To demonstrate a point" and knocked me halfway across the room because I was half his size. Plus, since we weren't in my home, he destroyed something that belonged to a third player's family that was pretty valuble. He apologized, because he didn't know his own strength, and we got past it, but from that point forward, people aren't allowed to hit, pummel, smack, spank, or otherwise use physical violence at my gaming table, even in jest. That stuff isn't funny. Someone could get hurt. Let the violence and beating people up stay in the world of fantasy.
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

My deal breakers as a player are as follows...

1) GM who always allow the party to win...no matter what.

2) The GM who railroads the party.

3) GMs who are trying to 'win'. Note: I don't mean a GM who will play npcs intelligently but one who design encounters at a power level far exceeding the PC's.

4) a GM who fudges the dice too much to enforce any of the above.

As a GM...

1) Nothing but hack n slashers who don't even try to RP.

2) Conversly to the above drama queens...who get upset if other people in game interupt their character's 'awesome lines'. Note: Though out of game interuption is annoying as well.

3) player who do nothing...waiting for the GM to give them a hook instead of going out and doing something.

I should note I don't think the GMs or players are neccessarily doing anything wrong in any of the above...it is just not what I enjoy in my RPGs.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

johnkretzer wrote:My deal breakers as a player are as follows...

1) GM who always allow the party to win...no matter what.

2) The GM who railroads the party.

3) GMs who are trying to 'win'. Note: I don't mean a GM who will play npcs intelligently but one who design encounters at a power level far exceeding the PC's.

4) a GM who fudges the dice too much to enforce any of the above.

As a GM...

1) Nothing but hack n slashers who don't even try to RP.

2) Conversly to the above drama queens...who get upset if other people in game interupt their character's 'awesome lines'. Note: Though out of game interuption is annoying as well.

3) player who do nothing...waiting for the GM to give them a hook instead of going out and doing something.
I should note I don't think the GMs or players are neccessarily doing anything wrong in any of the above...it is just not what I enjoy in my RPGs.

GMs who ignore multiple hooks dropped/set up by players in a "sandbox" game and then complain that the player just sits there doing nothing waiting on the GM to drop a hook. This actually happened to me multiple times. And it gets my goat every time. Do not tell me we are going to be playing in a "sandbox the player sets up all stories the GM is just going to riff of the hooks created by them" and then ignore every single hook I drop. You do that and I will assume that all I am doing is running your character for you and will just sit there and wait for you to tell me what I am doing...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nightmask
Palladin

Can't really see why any GM would think someone's character belonged to him rather than the player that created it (I imagine copyright law would even be on the player's side), or that he had a right to take the sheet and destroy it if the character was killed in a game. Really not a right any GM has taking someone else's property to destroy like that. Definitely wouldn't let any GM do that to my characters.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:Can't really see why any GM would think someone's character belonged to him rather than the player that created it (I imagine copyright law would even be on the player's side), or that he had a right to take the sheet and destroy it if the character was killed in a game. Really not a right any GM has taking someone else's property to destroy like that. Definitely wouldn't let any GM do that to my characters.

I know in my games , its one of my house rules, dead characters are forfeited to the GM automatic, no open to debate , and filed away for future use and fine tuning, as a npc, or returned to the player after a later date.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

All i have to say is i never had a player walk out of one of my games, and they always came back for more.

Nightmask
Palladin

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Can't really see why any GM would think someone's character belonged to him rather than the player that created it (I imagine copyright law would even be on the player's side), or that he had a right to take the sheet and destroy it if the character was killed in a game. Really not a right any GM has taking someone else's property to destroy like that. Definitely wouldn't let any GM do that to my characters.

I know in my games , its one of my house rules, dead characters are forfeited to the GM automatic, no open to debate , and filed away for future use and fine tuning, as a npc, or returned to the player after a later date.

If a GM wanted a copy I might consider it (and like many things not like he couldn't have made and kept an updated copy from the start anyway) but no way I'd agree to handing everything over whether for him to just destroy the sheet(s) or keep back as some trophy to represent his 'victory' (if that were the motivation). I accept him owning the setting and everything he's created for it personally I expect the same courtesy rather than 'your character belongs to me even though you created it and it's your intellectual property'. I know I'd also be more than a bit peeved if the unlikely occurred and the GM actually marketed my character after that point.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

If a GM wanted a copy I might consider it (and like many things not like he couldn't have made and kept an updated copy from the start anyway) but no way I'd agree to handing everything over whether for him to just destroy the sheet(s) or keep back as some trophy to represent his 'victory' (if that were the motivation). I accept him owning the setting and everything he's created for it personally I expect the same courtesy rather than 'your character belongs to me even though you created it and it's your intellectual property'. I know I'd also be more than a bit peeved if the unlikely occurred and the GM actually marketed my character after that point.

i start your point but i wouldnt change my rules for anybody, seen a number of dead characters get a new name.
I have had players turn over their characters over willing before they were dead. asked to see a character and ripped him into peices and burned them , sure he was po'ed but he was realized something was up , since i was asking "too many questions about him", and when he reappearance a couple of months later, the player wasn't surprised and later on the character was returned to the player.
I remember the last character I got was a cyber-knight , who started out a strong character, basically he was everybody's hero and everyone turned to for leadership. the player losted interest in the character and basically handed him over with a smile and not a care about him anymore, then i started changing him into the bad ass hero he once was, early in the adventure.

Nightmask
Palladin

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:

i start your point but i wouldnt change my rules for anybody, seen a number of dead characters get a new name.
I have had players turn over their characters over willing before they were dead. asked to see a character and ripped him into peices and burned them , sure he was po'ed but he was realized something was up , since i was asking "too many questions about him", and when he reappearance a couple of months later, the player wasn't surprised and later on the character was returned to the player.
I remember the last character I got was a cyber-knight , who started out a strong character, basically he was everybody's hero and everyone turned to for leadership. the player losted interest in the character and basically handed him over with a smile and not a care about him anymore, then i started changing him into the bad ass hero he once was, early in the adventure.

Well there's not much you can do to stop someone from wanting to play the same character and just rebooting him with a new look and name other than outright ban the player or ban him from playing a class that lets him replicate the character. That's one of the running gags in Knights of the Dinner Table since many of the players have huge family trees letting them replicate their most recently dead version in the latest (the one even numbers his Lefty I, Lefty II, Lefty III, etc. and encountered a dimension in game that contained a society all based around alternate gaming reality counterparts of said character), but the GM rolls with it since the game is after all about having fun and if that's what's fun for the player is it really so important to force him to not be able to play what he wants to enjoy? As long as he's being a positive contributor to the game it shouldn't be a big deal.

As far as giving up the character willingly goes, that's a completely different kettle of fish since the player willingly surrendered his rights to the character it wasn't taken from him. It's as much theirs as the game book the player's got and just as much no right to destroy or take that game book as to destroy or take that PC.

johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I know in my games , its one of my house rules, dead characters are forfeited to the GM automatic, no open to debate , and filed away for future use and fine tuning, as a npc, or returned to the player after a later date.

I am just curious why you have that house rule?

Personaly if a character he is dead....at best I might ask for a copy of the sheet...for sinster reasons. But I just don't take it.

I don't see how this houserule could have developed...so I am not saying it is a bad idea...just wondering what happened that triggered it.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

johnkretzer wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I know in my games , its one of my house rules, dead characters are forfeited to the GM automatic, no open to debate , and filed away for future use and fine tuning, as a npc, or returned to the player after a later date.

I am just curious why you have that house rule?

Personaly if a character he is dead....at best I might ask for a copy of the sheet...for sinster reasons. But I just don't take it.

I don't see how this houserule could have developed...so I am not saying it is a bad idea...just wondering what happened that triggered it.

after see the exact same character, with everything the exact same skills,dispositon and same stats on the same character sheet as the character just died and with the same level of the character that died. i know GM who would collect character sheets after the adventure was done for the nite, my area had a alot of gamers at one time , so a dead character would always appearing someone esle game so me and my player sat down and come up with house rules which including collecting dead characters, and putting in nice bright highlighter DEAD, GMs always have a way running into each other at game stores, and talking about players and what adventures we had going on.

Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

I had something remarkably similar happen to me during a 3.5 D&D game. My char had died (a necromancer that had unbalanced the game for some time because the DM had been killing chars with horrible traps for weeks, even the rouges designed [b]just[b] for trapfinding... seriously, who puts a trap in the PC's boot while at town resting at the Inn?) Afterwards, he askes "Can I see that char?" I figured maybe he wanted villain Ideas or to double check that it was legit, so I hand it over. He takes it and holds the corner to the candle he keeps on his desk. I said "Wow.... you are a dick." and pack up my stuff to leave. He called me a few choice words and got up to try and talk me into staying longer (by belittling me? :roll:). We argued and it escalated much farther than it should have. Long story short, I wound up getting a few stitches and he had a broken wrist. Oddly enough, we are good friends now...
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Illendaver wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I had something remarkably similar happen to me during a 3.5 D&D game. My char had died (a necromancer that had unbalanced the game for some time because the DM had been killing chars with horrible traps for weeks, even the rouges designed [b]just[b] for trapfinding... seriously, who puts a trap in the PC's boot while at town resting at the Inn?) Afterwards, he askes "Can I see that char?" I figured maybe he wanted villain Ideas or to double check that it was legit, so I hand it over. He takes it and holds the corner to the candle he keeps on his desk. I said "Wow.... you are a dick." and pack up my stuff to leave. He called me a few choice words and got up to try and talk me into staying longer (by belittling me? :roll:). We argued and it escalated much farther than it should have. Long story short, I wound up getting a few stitches and he had a broken wrist. Oddly enough, we are good friends now...

Just remember to use lighter fluid when your GMing his game :) No seriously though that is just freaking rediculous when GMs feel that they are entitled like that. I mean I know I don't like it when someone makes up a character for one of my games and goes and plays in someone elses game with the same character. I think that I helped make that character what it is but I'd still never think it is mine to destroy, I don't even try talking the player out of playing in the other game. But I absolutely hate when a player does the other/side game and gets some equipment or powers and then expects you to let them use it in your game. It is one thing if it was an "I'm going to out so why doesn't Jim run the next Rifts session." where you've "authorized" the game.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Illendaver wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Just remember to use lighter fluid when your GMing his game :) No seriously though that is just freaking rediculous when GMs feel that they are entitled like that. I mean I know I don't like it when someone makes up a character for one of my games and goes and plays in someone elses game with the same character. I think that I helped make that character what it is but I'd still never think it is mine to destroy, I don't even try talking the player out of playing in the other game. But I absolutely hate when a player does the other/side game and gets some equipment or powers and then expects you to let them use it in your game. It is one thing if it was an "I'm going to out so why doesn't Jim run the next Rifts session." where you've "authorized" the game.

I blame the RPGA and "competitive play" for this attitude. Way back in the 70s the RPGA established this concept of "porting" characters from game to game and carrying gear from one to the next. And todays living worlds competitive play games just further encourages this mind set of "it is ok to do this and any gm who does not allow me to keep my gear is playing the game wrong and is a class one [expletive deleted]."
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Illendaver wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

now I never seen the people get to upset with the mood setting,of "yes he is dead , and he not coming back to save you, now hand him over please." vs some player leaving a each copy of their character in the trash and the other players using him, without the players permission, until i pointed out he was going to be mad, they they handed him over to me now that guy was hot and it was funny , as told him be more careful of his sheets in the future.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Illendaver wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

I blame the RPGA and "competitive play" for this attitude. Way back in the 70s the RPGA established this concept of "porting" characters from game to game and carrying gear from one to the next. And todays living worlds competitive play games just further encourages this mind set of "it is ok to do this and any gm who does not allow me to keep my gear is playing the game wrong and is a class one [expletive deleted]."
i had a couple of players from out of town ask if they could use thier current characters i had no problems with it the equipment they came with , was the exact equipment they lefted with only more beat up and they had less ammo

Nightmask
Palladin

I can't see a problem with someone using the same character in another game, after all each game is a parallel or divergent world compared to the other so it's like with the Marvel multiverse and the old what-if series. Sure there's a Captain America here and one there with the same stats and such but it's a copy and not actually the same character. Sure they're identical in these game basics but the worlds that they're in are different and the versions will diverge as play goes along. So it shouldn't matter to a GM that a player built his PC and thought 'Wow I like him so much I want to play versions of him in other games'. I know one gamer she pretty much always plays a divergent copy of Betsy Braddock from the Marvel UK line before she became Mainstream Marvel. Makes her happy and not like copy X ends up going exactly the same as Copies A, B, and C.

The only legitimate complaint I can see is the one someone mentioned of someone playing the character in another game and expecting without prior GM approval to keep any goodies (and conveniently forgetting all the penalties of course) from that other game and import them into the original GM's game. Too easy to go to a GM that's overly generous compared to the other and try and use that to skirt that GM's restrictions for what he sees as game balance. But a player ought to have sense enough to accept that his game play in that other game wasn't the actual character from GM X's game but a divergent version of it in GM Y's campaign and gear simply doesn't translate across.

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

the ulimate deal breaker is no soda or beer for us over 21 and pizza that is a deal breaker for me sorry

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Illendaver wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Then you better make sure that your players' characters are written up on YOUR paper with YOUR pencils or YOUR destroying private property, it doesn't matter if you GM'd the game, it doesn't make the character yours, a player will view you pulling their character from them and shredding it as a personal affront. I don't recall ever saying a harsh word before MVP, but that is all kinds of jackassery going on there. It is one thing to say your character is dead and make them roll up another character, leaving the player upset and maybe a little angry but that fades and the fun comes back and the player can resurrect the character in a different game. It is quite another to to tell them their character is dead, take it from them and destroy it, that leads to outright hostility, hatred and development of revenge plots (i.e. remember who you do that to and never play a game with them as GM... cuz they'll remember). I personally use all my old characters for games later on.

i had a couple of players from out of town ask if they could use thier current characters i had no problems with it the equipment they came with , was the exact equipment they lefted with only more beat up and they had less ammo

... what is your point? That your aiding and abedding these "criminals" or that you make sure that they can't go to another game with stuff you give them because or that you practice assault and battery on said "criminals"?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:I can't see a problem with someone using the same character in another game, after all each game is a parallel or divergent world compared to the other so it's like with the Marvel multiverse and the old what-if series. Sure there's a Captain America here and one there with the same stats and such but it's a copy and not actually the same character. Sure they're identical in these game basics but the worlds that they're in are different and the versions will diverge as play goes along. So it shouldn't matter to a GM that a player built his PC and thought 'Wow I like him so much I want to play versions of him in other games'. I know one gamer she pretty much always plays a divergent copy of Betsy Braddock from the Marvel UK line before she became Mainstream Marvel. Makes her happy and not like copy X ends up going exactly the same as Copies A, B, and C.

The only legitimate complaint I can see is the one someone mentioned of someone playing the character in another game and expecting without prior GM approval to keep any goodies (and conveniently forgetting all the penalties of course) from that other game and import them into the original GM's game. Too easy to go to a GM that's overly generous compared to the other and try and use that to skirt that GM's restrictions for what he sees as game balance. But a player ought to have sense enough to accept that his game play in that other game wasn't the actual character from GM X's game but a divergent version of it in GM Y's campaign and gear simply doesn't translate across.

No, no I don't like it when they use it in another game, but that I can deal with. It is WRONG when they come back to your game with new equipment that you never gave them. THAT is the wrong. Oh wait your responding to someone else... and then refering to me as the acceptable greivance.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:the ulimate deal breaker is no soda or beer for us over 21 and pizza that is a deal breaker for me sorry

:shock: Are you really that shallow?

As far as I'm concerned the GM doesn't provide the food and drink the GM gets bribed with food and drink especially if the GM is having the game at his own house.
Balabanto
Champion

Copyright law does not favor the player. The GM is the world's creator, and as long as that GM publishes first, the player has to eat it.
Nightmask
Palladin

Balabanto wrote:

Copyright law does not favor the player. The GM is the world's creator, and as long as that GM publishes first, the player has to eat it.

Sorry but the GM only retains copyright over what he created, NOT what someone else created. This can cause serious problems for collaborative writers for example if one pulls out as the portion contributed by the other person remains their intellectual property and the one must remove or change sufficiently the material supplied by the other to be able to publish the work without owing the other royalties or have them block the publication completely. So he can't go 'yeah I'm going to take your character you played it in my game so it belongs to me!', at least he can't do that and be in the right. He may hope that the player doesn't fight him over it and knuckle under but he's definitely guilty of theft of intellectual property at that point.

Balabanto
Champion

Nightmask wrote:I can't see a problem with someone using the same character in another game, after all each game is a parallel or divergent world compared to the other so it's like with the Marvel multiverse and the old what-if series. Sure there's a Captain America here and one there with the same stats and such but it's a copy and not actually the same character. Sure they're identical in these game basics but the worlds that they're in are different and the versions will diverge as play goes along. So it shouldn't matter to a GM that a player built his PC and thought 'Wow I like him so much I want to play versions of him in other games'. I know one gamer she pretty much always plays a divergent copy of Betsy Braddock from the Marvel UK line before she became Mainstream Marvel. Makes her happy and not like copy X ends up going exactly the same as Copies A, B, and C.

My superhero world is designed to be published. You play a character from another published world in it, it gets rewritten or booted. Period. Messing with other people's dreams of publication by creating a character in multiple games is wrong. That's why for THAT world, I do my best not to allow it, ever.

When people have done it, it usually creates confusion, distorted perceptions of events in the gameworld, etc. My recommendation is simple. NEVER do this.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:the ulimate deal breaker is no soda or beer for us over 21 and pizza that is a deal breaker for me sorry

:shock: Are you really that shallow?

As far as I'm concerned the GM doesn't provide the food and drink the GM gets bribed with food and drink especially if the GM is having the game at his own house.
Food? really thats all you get bribed with?
I have been bribed by masters of the craft then...
I have received over the years...
cartons of my favorite ciggies
a box of my favorite cigars
a crate of Plantains (Love em)
a pet Tarantula
a pet scorpion
an aquarium of piranha
Tickets to a Hockey game featuring my two favorite teams
50 yard line seats for a Buckeyes football game (at the shoe)
A marriage proposal (yes she asked me, asked for the divorce too 6 years later... :lol: )
A custom built desk top computer
A custom built and installed surround sound system
half of an apartment
A full tune up for my car
and a Job (that one got the guy plenty of perks)
Balabanto
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Sorry but the GM only retains copyright over what he created, NOT what someone else created. This can cause serious problems for collaborative writers for example if one pulls out as the portion contributed by the other person remains their intellectual property and the one must remove or change sufficiently the material supplied by the other to be able to publish the work without owing the other royalties or have them block the publication completely. So he can't go 'yeah I'm going to take your character you played it in my game so it belongs to me!', at least he can't do that and be in the right. He may hope that the player doesn't fight him over it and knuckle under but he's definitely guilty of theft of intellectual property at that point.

Wrong again. You play in my game, that's an oral contract between you and me, which any court in the US will honor. You participated in a game run by me, that character becomes a part of that world, I publish first, you're done. Those are the rules. I don't retain the rights to your character sheet, but as far as that character existing in my gameworld, I sure as hell do. I can rewrite, redesign, and do whatever I like after you leave. You affected fellow players with your actions. Now they have to live with your BS if you have a hissy fit and leave? That's ridiculous. Most players genuinely like it when you put their name at the top of the sheet. Throw me under the bus, and I'll bury you under a bleepstorm of crap, though.
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

No rape, that is the rule, Lightning out of a clear blue sky is the punishment, arguments will get you turfed forever.

I pretty much handled everything coming my way as a GM, thought once I got turned into a modran, and I hit the table so hard it rolled other peoples dice. oh and this was a huge table and i rolled every ones dice, all 20 players of them.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

Grell wrote:No, 4 male players playing female characters that decide to have an orgy with one another in character during an adventure. Obviously, that wasn't the goal of said adventure.

I have no problem with males playing females or vice versa nor do I have an issue with sexual subject matter.

EDIT: two characters were siblings as well. Just to further illustrate the creep factor.

That hurts here! nasty!
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Nightmask
Palladin

Balabanto wrote:

My superhero world is designed to be published. You play a character from another published world in it, it gets rewritten or booted. Period. Messing with other people's dreams of publication by creating a character in multiple games is wrong. That's why for THAT world, I do my best not to allow it, ever.

When people have done it, it usually creates confusion, distorted perceptions of events in the gameworld, etc. My recommendation is simple. NEVER do this.

Whatever your intents for publishing might be unless you're creating the characters and handing them out to the players (like is often done at a convention) if the player created it it belongs to the player and not you. Just because he ran it in your game world doesn't make it yours, not without him agreeing from the start and quite explicitly that he's turning the rights to his creation over to you. It also has nothing to do with messing with someone's dream of publication, as you've no reason to be needing to take any player's character to be able to publish your game world if that comes about. Whatever things are unique to your idea for the game world the players and their characters aren't your unique creation, if anything you're interfering in their dreams taking their characters and claiming them as your own.

Nightmask
Palladin

Balabanto wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Wrong again. You play in my game, that's an oral contract between you and me, which any court in the US will honor. You participated in a game run by me, that character becomes a part of that world, I publish first, you're done. Those are the rules. I don't retain the rights to your character sheet, but as far as that character existing in my gameworld, I sure as hell do. I can rewrite, redesign, and do whatever I like after you leave. You affected fellow players with your actions. Now they have to live with your BS if you have a hissy fit and leave? That's ridiculous. Most players genuinely like it when you put their name at the top of the sheet. Throw me under the bus, and I'll bury you under a bleepstorm of crap, though.

Not buying it. Heck you're admitting that the character wasn't created by you but by someone else verifying that they not you are the original creator, and playing in your game unless you've got that contract right up front gives you no ownership rights at all to what someone else created just because it was played in your game. You try and publish with that character and you're going to get fought in court for theft of that character because it's not yours, you had nothing at all to do with creating it you took it from someone else.

Balabanto
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Whatever your intents for publishing might be unless you're creating the characters and handing them out to the players (like is often done at a convention) if the player created it it belongs to the player and not you. Just because he ran it in your game world doesn't make it yours, not without him agreeing from the start and quite explicitly that he's turning the rights to his creation over to you. It also has nothing to do with messing with someone's dream of publication, as you've no reason to be needing to take any player's character to be able to publish your game world if that comes about. Whatever things are unique to your idea for the game world the players and their characters aren't your unique creation, if anything you're interfering in their dreams taking their characters and claiming them as your own.

That's called "participating in the game." That constitutes an oral contract between that player and you that said player is playing in a game world with outcomes that affect others. We don't dance around consequences in my games, and we play fair. If a player leaves the game, his characters don't turn into giant plaid muffins. They continue to exist as NPCs. When you play in my game, that's the rule, not the exception. I would never allow a published character from another game, continuity, or published product in my champions world. It's been running for 25 years with only two hitches created by other designers who I never met, resulting in hitting time with a hammer twice. I am not doing that again. I'm too old.

No reason to be taking a players character? I don't consider that "Taking." I consider it redesigning. The truth is, my players fully support this because I have professional writing talent and they don't. Do you really think worlds are made of just bad guys and tofu? Characters affect outcomes. You can't have nebulous tofu man where "Champion, Master of Justice" once stood. That player played that character, that character deserves to be included. When a world is published, it should retain what the players did. If it doesn't, you're just throwing your players under the bus. If you replace that character with another, you had better have a darn good reason.

You're a strange man, Nightmask. You don't understand that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. That's what superheroes are all about.
Nightmask
Palladin

Balabanto wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Whatever your intents for publishing might be unless you're creating the characters and handing them out to the players (like is often done at a convention) if the player created it it belongs to the player and not you. Just because he ran it in your game world doesn't make it yours, not without him agreeing from the start and quite explicitly that he's turning the rights to his creation over to you. It also has nothing to do with messing with someone's dream of publication, as you've no reason to be needing to take any player's character to be able to publish your game world if that comes about. Whatever things are unique to your idea for the game world the players and their characters aren't your unique creation, if anything you're interfering in their dreams taking their characters and claiming them as your own.

That's called "participating in the game." That constitutes an oral contract between that player and you that said player is playing in a game world with outcomes that affect others. We don't dance around consequences in my games, and we play fair. If a player leaves the game, his characters don't turn into giant plaid muffins. They continue to exist as NPCs. When you play in my game, that's the rule, not the exception. I would never allow a published character from another game, continuity, or published product in my champions world. It's been running for 25 years with only two hitches created by other designers who I never met, resulting in hitting time with a hammer twice. I am not doing that again. I'm too old.

No reason to be taking a players character? I don't consider that "Taking." I consider it redesigning. The truth is, my players fully support this because I have professional writing talent and they don't. Do you really think worlds are made of just bad guys and tofu? Characters affect outcomes. You can't have nebulous tofu man where "Champion, Master of Justice" once stood. That player played that character, that character deserves to be included. When a world is published, it should retain what the players did. If it doesn't, you're just throwing your players under the bus. If you replace that character with another, you had better have a darn good reason.

You're a strange man, Nightmask. You don't understand that the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. That's what superheroes are all about.

Participating in the game does not mean that someone's handing things over to you just because they are. Your players may be willing to just give up the rights to what they've created but I'm not one of those sorts.

If anything you're the strange one, you try and claim I don't see that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and yet wish to deny the players their due credit and act as if it was really all you. You want all the credit if it sells and throw the players under the bus giving them nothing for that contribution, since I haven't heard you say anything about sharing any of that possible success with them. You want them to feed you ideas to profit off of but apparently give them nothing save perhaps a footnote somewhere.

For the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts all the parts work together sharing in good and bad, 'I'm the GM and everything's mine including what you contributed' isn't working together or sharing. The superhero wouldn't go trying to take what others created and claim it as their own like that either, if they did it would be depicted as a moment of moral weakness that the hero must overcome.

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Not buying it. Heck you're admitting that the character wasn't created by you but by someone else verifying that they not you are the original creator, and playing in your game unless you've got that contract right up front gives you no ownership rights at all to what someone else created just because it was played in your game. You try and publish with that character and you're going to get fought in court for theft of that character because it's not yours, you had nothing at all to do with creating it you took it from someone else.

Just keep a copy of your character in addition to your play copy. That way you always get to keep your sheet, problem solved.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Nightmask
Palladin

Grell wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:Wrong again. You play in my game, that's an oral contract between you and me, which any court in the US will honor. You participated in a game run by me, that character becomes a part of that world, I publish first, you're done. Those are the rules. I don't retain the rights to your character sheet, but as far as that character existing in my gameworld, I sure as hell do. I can rewrite, redesign, and do whatever I like after you leave. You affected fellow players with your actions. Now they have to live with your BS if you have a hissy fit and leave? That's ridiculous. Most players genuinely like it when you put their name at the top of the sheet. Throw me under the bus, and I'll bury you under a bleepstorm of crap, though.

Just keep a copy of your character in addition to your play copy. That way you always get to keep your sheet, problem solved.

Well keeping the original and using a copy for gaming is protection against a GM just snatching and destroying it doesn't address the issue here of who actually owns the character. Balabanto thinks what you create belongs to him if you run it in his game which isn't how copyright works. You might be able to cheat someone by rushing to the patent office first on a new widget but that's not how intellectual property works, where you have to prove you originated the idea or someone signed those rights away to you. They certainly aren't going to accept 'well he gamed in my game world so it's mine!'.

Balabanto
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Balabanto wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Whatever your intents for publishing might be unless you're creating the characters and handing them out to the players (like is often done at a convention) if the player created it it belongs to the player and not you. Just because he ran it in your game world doesn't make it yours, not without him agreeing from the start and quite explicitly that he's turning the rights to his creation over to you. It also has nothing to do with messing with someone's dream of publication, as you've no reason to be needing to take any player's character to be able to publish your game world if that comes about. Whatever things are unique to your idea for the game world the players and their characters aren't your unique creation, if anything you're interfering in their dreams taking their characters and claiming them as your own.

Participating in the game does not mean that someone's handing things over to you just because they are. Your players may be willing to just give up the rights to what they've created but I'm not one of those sorts.

If anything you're the strange one, you try and claim I don't see that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and yet wish to deny the players their due credit and act as if it was really all you. You want all the credit if it sells and throw the players under the bus giving them nothing for that contribution, since I haven't heard you say anything about sharing any of that possible success with them. You want them to feed you ideas to profit off of but apparently give them nothing save perhaps a footnote somewhere.

For the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts all the parts work together sharing in good and bad, 'I'm the GM and everything's mine including what you contributed' isn't working together or sharing. The superhero wouldn't go trying to take what others created and claim it as their own like that either, if they did it would be depicted as a moment of moral weakness that the hero must overcome.

That's funny. I never said it was all me. That's why they get credited at the top of the sheet. But they aren't doing any of the labor, writing any of the backgrounds, or crafting any of the products. All they're doing is telling me what they want, I'm building the initial sheet 90 percent of the time, and then I write a background up more formally and we play some Champions.

This is what being part of a playtest group means. And believe me, the players get to share in the good and the bad, considering that most of them would owe me thousands of dollars between the food I pay for, the meals I cook for them, the adventures I bust my hump creating, and all that other stuff that constitutes running a gaming group. Which, I might add, is work. A LOT of of work. The world does not exist without it's players, so they get credited for creating the characters. If I actually charged full value for all the food and other stuff I just let my players eat and drink, I estimate they'd owe me buckets of money.

But they don't. Because we're friends. I ask for a donation. Most people donate when they can. They're good people. You, on the other hand, clearly need to find another gaming group, or have been screwed in the past by someone who threw you under the biggest bus in the world.

The milieu, the environment, and everything else that becomes a part of those characters the moment they enter that setting. That's why I'm entitled to do what I wish once they participate in a few sessions with that version of the character, because once they participate in that world, that character exists there, and removing it creates this magical thing called a continuity void.

That's why playing in any game is an oral contract of this sort, and why I always create characters that belong in the world that they're created for with no duplication allowed.

Respect your players, and they'll respect you. Playtesters always get a free copy, signed by me. When a player dies, and this has happened, an adventure or publication gets dedicated to them. Rest assured, my players will never be forgotten, as long as I outlive all of them and finish all my products before I die.

Respect others. They'll respect you.

Return to “Rifts®”