symbiot heroes

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

boxee
Hero

symbiot heroes

Unread post by boxee »

Hi,
Do you guys make up your own stuff or stick to the book?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: symbiot heroes

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Stick to the book, but Ive only used it once so far (even though I really like it!)

Not really the response you were after so apologies if you opened this post in excitement... :frust:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I do not usually go high end, I tend not to use this class, but if I did I would probably do with the book
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I've made a couple of symbiotes out of the book, and there are things I like and things I don't. Overall, not a bad OCC, but the things I dislike prevent me from playing one. Namely, power selection. While I agree that the powers should be similar in nature for a symbiote, the powers aren't classified in the way that the symbiote states you are supposed to select them. Stuff like "2 major and 2 minor dealing with [insert something here]" just doesn't work with the rest of the HU universe because the powers aren't classified in that way. Furthermore, if you have a concept character in mind, you may want powers that don't normally go together that won't fit this mold.

Just too complicated during power selection to make this one work effectively. For me, anyhow.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

There are other classes which do similarly limit powers though. The Super Invention and the Deevil and Demon empowers from ArU as example.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i start with the as-written class, then alter whatever i feel needs altering. the power limitations are always the first thing to go.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Nemo235
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nemo235 »

I made a character of this type with a background idea in mind.
The symbiote is a monstrous demon type thing captured by a shady mages guild.
The host was one of their accolytes from an outer circle. He had no idea the mages were going to implant him with the thing and use him as their mindless enforcer.
At least that was the plan. The symbiote is semi-intelligent and didn't like the idea of being enslaved.
Together they escaped and are now being hunted. The character wants to use the powers to get revenge, the symbiote just wants to hunt down other supernatural creatures.

I also had some of the powers in mind, so didn't use random rolls.
He has Nightstalking, Claws, Wings and some healing powers, among others.
Please check out my Deviant Art gallery
and my Mutants & Magic blog.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

In general terms, as long as you are not min/maxing or being a munchkin, it is better to create what you want rather than roll. It is a lot more fun to play a character you like than a random assortment with no theme.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

OTOH Random powers can be a bit of a "surprise" factor....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have yet to make a Sy. Hero, but I can see how some people might add in the Splugy symbiotis to the mix. Or that the Sy hero was a Experimental model for the splugys that escaped.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

I actually made an immortal Golem symbiote recently for a Powerhouse/JLA/Avengers type campaign

The idea was that the golem was the creation of a dark god. Alot like the creation of a rune weapon the dark ritual included the binding of an entities life force into the golem in order to provide its power. The entity was the dark gods good aligned brother, he betrayed his brother and put him into the golem skeleton. The idea was to have the skeleton used by one of his dark minions so that his brother would have to watch helplessly as his powers were being used for evil. It didnt work out that way as a local group of heroes crashed the ritual and one of them ended up bonding with it.

The Hero was a first level physical training character. All of his physical stats were replaced when he bonded with the golem bones. I used the classic golem rules for the powers but the symbiot rules for the bonding, the golem has its own mind but cannot control the body at all, thats why it needs the host. to create the connection it actually feeds off of the life energy of the host. just like the symbiot.

so in essence the symbiot replaces the bones of the host and gives powers. it cant move on its own and thats why it needs one. they fight crime together with the symbiot golem bones talking alot of the time. this can cause friction.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

In other words, a magical symbiote which grants the Unbreakable Bones power among other things
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

boxee wrote:Hi,
Do you guys make up your own stuff or stick to the book?

Tho I stick by the book .. I also bring in the same type of sym's as Atlantis has .. as well as Wormwood syms .

That way there is actual variety of sym's with which to create a truly unique hero.
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

AlanGunhouse wrote:In other words, a magical symbiote which grants the Unbreakable Bones power among other things

not quite, the bones arent unbreakable, they have like 600 SDC with an AR of 16 and heal at 2D6 SDC per melee like the golem, the hosts body gets this regen rate but not the SDC or AR, it also get the SN of the immortal golem along with the other golem bonuses, the bones can see in every direction so they can warn of danger from all direction, sort of like a motion detection or 360 vision, and is able to provide a mind block if needs be.

Also one of the vulnerabilities is that if the flesh is stripped from the body (by an energy attack that does more than 150 points of damage in one turn) it will take 48 hours to regen and if the skeleton is dropped into an ocean at this time the body wont regen and if the skeleton is recovered it will have to bond with a new host

The bones are slowly draining the lifeforce of the host so he will eventually be depleted and have to be replaced anyway, i think the time frame is a hundred years or so, kinda like a long term juicer

along with the symbiot/golem powers he has teleportation speed (from the rifter), Flight: Wingless, his attacks can do damage to any SN creature due to the supernatural affects of the golem, he has the subabilities of the minor healing factor (doesnt fatigue or scar or get disease) along with the skills, fighting ability, and SDC of the physical training class
AlanGunhouse
Champion

So more like the "Unbreakable Bones" super soldier effect then. It is still interesting. I had a character in a story I was writing with a similar effect, except that the bones were demonic not a golem.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I really like the idea but I really dislike the powers chart used, was thinking maybe use the chart in the main book "The Number and Category of Super Abilities" one on page 226 revised second edition.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Yeah, A lot of the PU3 Charts I do not like, they usually leave the characters more powerful than anyone in the main HU book.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

AlanGunhouse wrote:Yeah, A lot of the PU3 Charts I do not like, they usually leave the characters more powerful than anyone in the main HU book.

While that can happen if the player abuses the rules I was thinking under normal conditions. Not power gaming.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Even if they do NOT abuse the rules, many classes, like the Symbiote, are on the average more powerful.
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Which book is it in? This Armegeddon Unlimited?
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Specter wrote:Which book is it in? This Armegeddon Unlimited?

Powers Unlimited Two

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”