How About Dinosaur Swamp?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Re: How About Dinosaur Swamp?

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

I really liked Dinosaur Swamp. It has a unique feel to it which the rest of the NA kind of lacks. I especially found the cannon stuff for the old space program interesting. I've been planning a "Killer satellite in orbit threatens *insert good guys here*" with plans on making the PCs trek through DS to get to old Florida and find an intact control station. I also found Clavicle and the whole Horror Forest neat. It's just the kind of creepy stuff NA needed!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I like alot it.
I didnt like the mdc dinos, the eye shot to kill dinos with sdc weapons. That eye would be md too.

Besides those. I enjoyed it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

TechnoGothic wrote:I like alot it.
I didnt like the mdc dinos, the eye shot to kill dinos with sdc weapons. That eye would be md too.

Yup.
Also, I prefer the power level of dinos to be low MDC, as in the original Rifts book.
(Really, they should only be SDC).
But that's not the author's fault; the unfortunate precedent had already been set in New West.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yup.
Also, I prefer the power level of dinos to be low MDC, as in the original Rifts book.
(Really, they should only be SDC).
But that's not the author's fault; the unfortunate precedent had already been set in New West.

I agree.
Didnt the NewWest Dinos has both SDC/MDC stats listed ?
Yeah they did. Its easier when they do include both sdc/md stats for critters.
I always used the sdc stats myself. Makes more sense if people used them as food to be sdc.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yeah these books are great. The city of Char brought be make to the feelings that I had when I first read about Chi-Town and some of the towns in the Vampire Kingdoms. This is one of my favorite regions to play in.
ImageImage
TechnoGothic
Knight

frogboy wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:Yeah these books are great. The city of Char brought be make to the feelings that I had when I first read about Chi-Town and some of the towns in the Vampire Kingdoms. This is one of my favorite regions to play in.

Me to, right on.

Me too.

Same feeling I had when i read:

Rifts Mainbook.
Rifts Sourcebook One (original)

I never liked Vampire Kingdoms much though. Because I didnt like the vamps themselves.
The Town Information though was excellient i agree.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

I've always accepted that the reason Dinosaurs were MDC was a very simple non-mechanical thing - dinosaurs aren't scary if a pistol atomizes them. Even though they are not, I always considered them in theory and concept magically reactive creatures - ie they are MD and inflict MD in Rifts.

But MD Dinos aside, the Dinosaur Swamps books are hands down my favorite rifts books ever. It fits my concept of the perfect worldbook mix. LOTS of fluff, enough new rules to make the area do what it should, enough new OCCs, Monsters, and Gear to compliment but not overpower the setting.
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Thanks to Carl for pointing me this way. Glad to hear you all enjoy the books. They were supposed to invoke the old school feel of down and dirty Rifts as post-apoc, not "post-post-apoc" that the line has evolved into. In hindsight, I see the DS books as a National Park in the Rifts canon; isolated by geography and preserving the original themes we all fell in love with in the 1990 RPG.

TechnoGothic wrote:I didnt like the mdc dinos, the eye shot to kill dinos with sdc weapons. That eye would be md too.

That's certainly not the intent. I've not read the actual description in years, but the eye shot concept should not override the MD factor.
Insert 400 character limit here.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

frogboy wrote:This and Adventures In Dinosaur Swamp are two titles I just received in the mail yesterday. I like them. Not a whole lot of toys and the O.C.C.'s are good additions to. I like that the new O.C.C.'s are kept for the most part regional (something I have always done with the wilderness scout) and I really like the dinosaurs. It also provides a chunk of post Apocalypse America that is not inhabited by an alien intelligence or what ever. It is also a place that can be a launch pad into space or any place or time on Earth. The books also helped me appreciate Spirit West to. With that one I decided that if a P.C. is going to go native, they have to do some research on google and provide some background on the chosen tribe, of which there are plenty to chose from in the south east. I also like the detail put towards disease, and the harsh environment. The fact that P.C.'s are vulnerable to thees two things in my campaigns makes them choose there gear carefully. All and all good books. Now, if only Triax2 would get here.

I really like the atmosphere and explorer aspect of dino swamp. One of the reasons why last time I ran Rifts it was in the Australian outback. Siberia has plenty of the same potential.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Personally, I like the lethality of the environment itself. This is also one of the reasons why Rifts: Canada is one of my other favorites.

When your players have to wash their butts and take pains to dry-out their stuff periodically or else suffer the wrath of DISEASE and funk, they quickly start to realize that this is, indeed, a hostile world out to kill them and the drama level increases.
ImageImageImage
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

I enjoyed the 2 books a great deal and I agree it really brings back the feel of rifts
whereas almost ever WB adds another major city New West introducd afforadable transport across the continent with the railroads making the setting feel like the world has recovered for the most part
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

csbioborg wrote:I enjoyed the 2 books a great deal and I agree it really brings back the feel of rifts
whereas almost ever WB adds another major city New West introducd afforadable transport across the continent with the railroads making the setting feel like the world has recovered for the most part

Agreed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Greetings!

I have not taken a look at Dinosaur Swamp, yet. If so many are singing it's praises, I may have to give it serious consideration. I am GM'ing and will happily make use of any good source of entertainment for my players. Anyone want to give it a 5 Star System Rating: 1 Star = Aweful !!! 2 Stars = Bad. I wouldn't bother. 3 Stars = Average. 4 Stars = Good! 5 Stars = Awesome !!! Must Have This !!!

Good Gaming, GaredBattlespike
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

It would be?

Anyway, made me think of this comic

http://wizardshotthefood.smackjeeves.co ... 29/wstf-8/
:lol:
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
TechnoGothic
Knight

Well in one game I ran a year or two ago now.
We all had problems with the md dinos. The magic making them md made no sense to us since they are not creatures of magic or supernatural in origin.

We got around it though, by introducing SPLICER RPG Technology to Rifts Earth.
The Splicers tried creating powerful Warmounts out of the dinos. The turned out to be uncontrollable for some reason. They breed with normal dinos and the result was the md dinos of the region and spreading across the americas. Genetic Enegineering is their origin in that game.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

MikelAmroni
Hero

One of my players (a Sea Dog Boy) has learned to hate Seep Ferns. I have them all along the gulf coast, and during a full gear PT, the dogboys (in non-environmental armor) were spooked by the smell of blood (a bunch of blood ferns) and the entire squad stopped to investigate and the two dogboys had to make saving throws. One is a Kill hound with enough bonuses that he only had to not roll a 1. The Sea Dog had to roll more than a 8 - he rolled a 5. Passed the (beep) out! And then there was a velociraptor attack (Tiger claws without poison and with chameleon that activated when stationary).

The Naval infantry CO then started looking into environmental armor for his dogboys.

BTW, we always need more players, if anyone is hankering for a play by post :)
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

lol. the only thing I didn't really like about Dino swamp was the D-shifting thing. It just annoys me. But then that was in the mainbook waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy back, so it had to be in there.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

environmental armor for someone who is specifically supposed to be tracking stuff by smell is counterproductive, isn't it? :P
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

lol. good point.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
MikelAmroni
Hero

Shark_Force wrote:environmental armor for someone who is specifically supposed to be tracking stuff by smell is counterproductive, isn't it? :P

A face mask can always be removed :) At that point the rest of the squad had gone fully environmental (they had been running at 50% cooling and filtration). Of course to be fair, I am certain that in the event they run into the same situation, they'll look first for ferns covered in blood, and then decide on whether they need to go fully environmental or not. :twisted:

ImageImage
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

Dino Swamp is one of my Top 5 Rifts books (along with Australia, Canada, SB1) for precisely the reason already articulated: it brings the post-apoc back into Rifts, but keeps all the zany Rifts OCCs, weapons, magic, monsters, etc. so nothing is lost. Kudos to Todd Yoho for his excellent work, and may there be more like it.

Now, what about Deep South?
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

Mechanurgist wrote:Dino Swamp is one of my Top 5 Rifts books (along with Australia, Canada, SB1) for precisely the reason already articulated: it brings the post-apoc back into Rifts, but keeps all the zany Rifts OCCs, weapons, magic, monsters, etc. so nothing is lost. Kudos to Todd Yoho for his excellent work, and may there be more like it.

Thanks. I appreciate the kudos.
Insert 400 character limit here.

Return to “Rifts®”