Gizmoteers in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Gizmoteers in Rifts

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

Is there any source material for playing Gizmoteers who build drones, UAVs, robot hounds, insect-robots, that kind of thing? You know, the typical Rigger in Shadowrun.

Visual reference: http://cyberpunk.asia/thumbshow.php?aff ... =16&lng=en
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Gizmoteers in Rifts

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Riger/Gizmotier type char in Rifts is the Operator OCC. However, I find this OCC is a step below, being a general fix-it man, the levels the Gizmotier works on.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

There is also the psi-tech and one of the rifters as a few variant operators , including the armorer, a combat oriented operator, who I always liked.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

if you've got South America II, there are the Amaki aliens who take gizmoteering up a notch.

Your main problem is that the game lacks a complete system for drones and robots, even if you have SB1...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Triax has VR controled robots or the MOM controled Robots. As for being the guy making it, I guess you'd need to be one of the above suggestions. . . I'm kinda afraid that what your looking for is not something just one guy can make from scratch, and there just isn't the same market for it that other games have.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The real problem with the Amaki Gizmoteer is that this class makes "Psionic Techno-Wizard Devices." Exactly how does this function? There are literally no separate rules for what they can and cannot make, and it is, in fact, the worst written class in the entire game.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Balabanto wrote:The real problem with the Amaki Gizmoteer is that this class makes "Psionic Techno-Wizard Devices." Exactly how does this function? There are literally no separate rules for what they can and cannot make, and it is, in fact, the worst written class in the entire game.

to be fair, it wasn't really any less clear than the rules for making actual TW weapons at the time afaict.
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

MegaverseTraveller wrote:I had a operator in one campaign which was more the Gizmoteer than the mechanic, he took the OCC related skills: Robot Mechanics, Vehicle Armorer, Robot Electronics, Computer Programming, Literacy (English), Electronic Countermeasures, Advanced Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence (science skill not normally allowed as an Operator OCC related skill but I thought would be cool for the character concept so I okayed it).
I would say that this answers the OP perfectly. :ok:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Uh... Rifts is the bridge of the Palladium Megaverse... Just use a freaking N&S Gizmoteer.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

My guess is the OP poster doesn't have the book; otherwise he might have mentioned it rather than Shadowrun.

Also, not everybody prefers cross-game solutions. At least I know I don't.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

sasha wrote:My guess is the OP poster doesn't have the book; otherwise he might have mentioned it rather than Shadowrun.

It isn't cross-game. :) All PB's are just Rifts sourcebooks... in MY opinion. :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
sasha wrote:My guess is the OP poster doesn't have the book; otherwise he might have mentioned it rather than Shadowrun.

It isn't cross-game. :) All PB's are just Rifts sourcebooks... in MY opinion. :D

That's cool. :)
My personal experience is that I have found the claim of megaversality to not be backed up too much by reality.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Svartalf wrote:if you've got South America II, there are the Amaki aliens who take gizmoteering up a notch.

Your main problem is that the game lacks a complete system for drones and robots, even if you have SB1...

You would have to say something about that :crane: rip off of the Gizmoteer name for a Psi variant of the TW.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

wow N1 !!! man
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Do you remember which Rifter had the variant Operators?

Your guy sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, MegaverseTraveller. Thanks for the tips.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

HARDWARE : MECHANICIAL (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...
HARDWARE : ELECTRICIAL (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...
HARDWARE : WEAPONS EXPERT (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...
What for it the Best Hardware is yet to come ...
HARDWARE : Antyicial Genius (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...

BEST of all you can Combine TWO Hardware type into one character and it is legal.

Then you have the Ninja and Superspy Gizmoteer OCC. Its ok.
Then your have the SA2 Amaki Gizmoteer, which are great. They make Psi-versions of TW stuff.
The Rules are simple for it. If it costs 15 ISP for a Psychic it costs 30 for a Mage. It reverses the TW rules where psychics must pay double to use TW items. The Psi-Items require Mages to spend double. Which is Fair and Balanced in my opinion.

Are you looking for Pure Technology, Techno-Magic, or Psychic Technologies is the key question.
Pure Tech = HU Hardware Characters hands down.
TW = Techno-Wizards.
Psi-Tech = Psi-Tech or Amaki-Gizmoteers.

Operators are overrated Handymen or Shade-Tree Mechanics types of characters.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

TechnoGothic wrote:HARDWARE : MECHANICAL (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...
HARDWARE : ELECTRICAL (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...
HARDWARE : Analyicial Genius (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...

BEST of all you can Combine TWO Hardware type into one character and it is legal.

Then you have the Ninja and Superspy Gizmoteer OCC. Its okay.
Then your have the SA2 Amaki Gizmoteer, which are great. They make Psi-versions of TW stuff.
The Rules are simple for it. If it costs 15 ISP for a Psychic it costs 30 for a Mage. It reverses the TW rules where psychics must pay double to use TW items. The Psi-Items require Mages to spend double. Which is Fair and Balanced in my opinion.

Are you looking for Pure Technology, Techno-Magic, or Psychic Technologies is the key question.
TW = Techno-Wizards.

Side Note: the HU hardware power cat's are like vairents of the N&S Gizmoteer classes.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:HARDWARE : MECHANICAL (Heroes Unlimited) Better than an Operator, etc...

TW = Techno-Wizards.

Side Note: the HU hardware power cat's are like vairents of the N&S Gizmoteer classes.

Darn I was going to argue that N&S Giz are better than HU HW but they just seem to be more flexible with up to 5 programs being selected... but to equal some of the HU HW you need to pick up to 3 in some cases. So HUHW with two has the equivalent of 6 N&S Giz... they also have the skills at higher scores. I GUESS that may be to simulate the "more normal" N&S Giz character from the Superhero HU HW.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

TW = Techno-Wizards.

Darn I was going to argue that N&S Giz are better than HU HW but they just seem to be more flexible with up to 5 programs being selected... but to equal some of the HU HW you need to pick up to 3 in some cases. So HUHW with two has the equivalent of 6 N&S Giz... they also have the skills at higher scores. I GUESS that may be to simulate the "more normal" N&S Giz character from the Superhero HU HW.

If I was going to make a char that built stuff I would use one of the N&S Gizmoteer classes, because they are better.

Return to “Rifts®”