Top 10 Power Armors on Rifts Earth.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Top 10 Power Armors on Rifts Earth.

Unread post by Lenwen »

As the question stands what are the top 10 BEST overall (and give reasons other then I just think so) Ground Power Armors on Rifts Earth ?

And why are they top 10 PA's ?
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Re: Top 10 Power Armors on Rifts Earth.

Unread post by keir451 »

Top Ten Ground P.A.'s
1) Glitterboy (of course) excellent armor defense, reasonable speed (60 mph), excellent offesive ability.
2) NG Samson; reasonable armor, decent defense, top ratings in speed (150 mph)
3) Triax Ulti-Max; easily upgradable offense, decent MDC, extra MDC via force field, reasonable speed.
4) IPA-50 "Grenadier"; good MDC, lots of weapons, reasonable running speed.
5) CS PA-200 Terror Trooper really good MDC (400), good running speed(60 mph), excellent range of offensive abilities.
6) Gb Killer PA; really good MDC (440), great running speed(100 mph), excellent range of anti-GB weapons.
8-10) Any Naruni unit; All have excellent amor, force fields, good speed ranges, and weapons out the yin yang. (Don't have the books in front of me so I can't be more specific :-(. )
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

SI Far Stepper :D

Pros: Decent protection, one of the best in terms of mobility and speed, unique movement and design with customizable weapon packages.

Cons: Weapons aren't very powerful and is best for survival and run and gun and not out right combat. High skill requirements. Not nearly as well protected as other power armors.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Awe, only ground power armors?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

All of you forgot the Kittani Serpent armor...which gives a frickin' auto dodge.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

I know its not a ground power armor, but I love the old SAMAS (not the newer models). For me the ground PA is the Glitterboy...Triax's version.
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Subjugator wrote:All of you forgot the Kittani Serpent armor...which gives a frickin' auto dodge.

Can you please tell us what page states that, in World Book 2, please? :)

Page 141, under the Serpent's Hand to Hand Combat section.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

No autododge is a "guaranteed" dodge. They all work like a parry.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:Page 141, under the Serpent's Hand to Hand Combat section.

It's a +3 and used like a parry, but doesn't take up a melee. It's not really treated as a "guaranteed" dodge. Though this bonus can add to the normal dodge bonus and gives it sort of an edge, the power armor must do more than just keep dodging in combat. Which sort of feels like retreating and/or decoying the enemy.

I think we might have some confusion here (or it's me as I'm really tired right now)...

You pretty much defined what an "automatic dodge" is; a dodge attempt that doesn't use up an attack like the "normal" dodge. When he typed "auto dodge" he didn't mean that it could automatically dodge everything. The phrase "auto dodge" is just short for "automatic dodge" (shorter to type and looks cooler).

Also, bonuses from automatic dodge and the "regular" dodge do not stack. Your bonuses for automatic dodge has to say just that, otherwise it doesn't count. The lone exception being your PP score bonus, if any, will stack with it.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:I think we might have some confusion here (or it's me as I'm really tired right now)...

You pretty much defined what an "automatic dodge" is; a dodge attempt that doesn't use up an attack like the "normal" dodge. When he typed "auto dodge" he didn't mean that it could automatically dodge everything. The phrase "auto dodge" is just short for "automatic dodge" (shorter to type and looks cooler).

Also, bonuses from automatic dodge and the "regular" dodge do not stack. Your bonuses for automatic dodge has to say just that, otherwise it doesn't count. The lone exception being your PP score bonus, if any, will stack with it.

I hope you get plenty of rest, Dustin. :)

The way I interpreted his wording as some sort of "guaranteed" dodging, was from the slang-adjective usage of the word, "frickin'". He could have meant it as a point of view contention on the sole-ability to dodge effectively in comparison to other power armors. However, he did imply that we didn't consider the power armor in the first place, before we all posted our favorite power armor(s). So it weighed heavily more like it was some sort of "guaranteed" dodging in his expression.

They don't stack? :shock:

I was under the impression that when in a Kittani Serpent Power Armor, and seeing the attack coming right at you. You could use both bonuses in a single roll. One, your in the power armor (automatic dodge bonus without the cost of a melee). Two, you see the attack coming straight at you (normal dodge bonus while in the melee). After all, it does state in the same section, . . .

All bonuses are in addition to hand to hand skill and attribute bonuses.

nope, no stacking. you either get the automatic dodge at the listed rate, or you could instead take a normal dodge, but you couldn't (for example) take both, and if you want the (typically at a larger bonus) regular dodge, you have to give up an action as normal.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Auto - Dodge .. for as long as I have played the game of Rifts has never ment you automatically dodged an attack ..

It means you can dodge .. with out losing an attack.

A VERY powerful ability ..

And if a PA grants that ability to you .. and other's do not ..

It would simply mean .. that PA .. has an ability that is over and above that of the other PA's .. (and advantage if you will over the others.)
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
SAMAS
ummm.... hmmm... erm... Ah smeg it... Super Tengu.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Normal dodge and Auto-dodge are 2 different types of dodges, and they each have their own bonuses which do not stack with each other. You can do one or the other, not both. Usually the bonus to Auto-dodge is less than the Normal dodge (most things only add to dodge, and not Auto-dodge) so it is less effective when considered by itself, but since it doesn't cost an attack it is seen as more efficient. Really it depends on what your attackers bonus to strike is. If you can't afford to take the hit, you might be more likely to use up an attack for the bigger dodge bonus.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Jorel wrote:Normal dodge and Auto-dodge are 2 different types of dodges, and they each have their own bonuses which do not stack with each other. You can do one or the other, not both. Usually the bonus to Auto-dodge is less than the Normal dodge (most things only add to dodge, and not Auto-dodge) so it is less effective when considered by itself, but since it doesn't cost an attack it is seen as more efficient. Really it depends on what your attackers bonus to strike is. If you can't afford to take the hit, you might be more likely to use up an attack for the bigger dodge bonus.

RUE page 344.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

1) Predator 2
2) Hells Angel GB
3) Super SAMAS
4) Fat Boy Glitter Boy
5) X-550 Glitter Boy
6) USA G-10 Glitter Boy
7) Predtor X-10A
8 ) Special Forces SAMAS
9) Ulti-Max
10) Titan Power Armor from RIFTER #4
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
dragonfett
Knight

Wait, I thought we were restricted to only ground power armors? If we could of included flying power armors as well, I would have actually made my list already.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The Galactus Kid wrote:1) Predator 2
2) Hells Angel GB
3) Super SAMAS
4) Fat Boy Glitter Boy
5) X-550 Glitter Boy
6) USA G-10 Glitter Boy
7) Predtor X-10A
8 ) Special Forces SAMAS
9) Ulti-Max
10) Titan Power Armor from RIFTER #4

Cause he's too fat. That is why he's #4.

"The Devil's among us!
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Jorel wrote:Cause he's too fat. That is why he's #4.

So, . . . The Galactus Kid's list was a joke then? :?:

I can't speak for whether or not his list is a joke, (it's not). However, the fat one might be good, but he's not good enough, cause he's too fat to fly. So he's definitely not #1. Cause he's too fat. That is why he's #4. He's fat.

"The Devil's among us!
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

1. Dai-Katana Bugei (Japan) - Good protection, fast with limited flight capabilities, good firepower with a mix of weapons, good HtH (pilots automatically get WP Paired Weapons!) and NO prowl penalty either!

2. Defender (Juicer Uprising) - Again good protection and speed. Firepower isn't quite as good for it to be a front line unit, but that can be easily fixed. Plus I like the way it looks.

3. Black Tiger/Shan Tung Pei (China 2) - Probably the best armor that nobody generally knows about, I'd rate it higher if it were more common.

4. Juicer-Killer (Juicer Uprising) - Anything that negates the Juicer's automatic dodge is cool with me, and that's pretty much the only reason I rate this unit so high.

5. Tarantula Glitter Boy (Free Quebec) - No "top ten" list of PA's is complete without a Glitter Boy somewhere in it, and for me the Tarantula is the best of the bunch. It may not have the best firepower, protection or speed of some other variants, but it's a pretty good blend.

6. Nazca Power Armor (South America 2) - Fantastic protection and firepower, and has great mobility.

7. Grenadier (Japan) - Armor protection is fantastic for a PA suit, great firepower and still retains a respectable speed.

8. Iron Bear (Spirit West) - There are a number of silly things in Spirit West, but just looking at this from a stats only, it's got decent speed, good armor and has great firepower.

9. Glitter Boy Killer (Coalition War Campaign) - Speed, firepower and armor protection are all pretty good. I honestly cannot stand the artwork though.

10. Rusty Modular Power Armor (Australia) - Because you can do so much with this unit.

Honorable Mention - Samson, Silver Wolf Glitter Boy, original Glitter Boy, T-550 Glitter Boy, T-31 Super Trooper, Ulti-Max 2
The Galactus Kid

1) Predator 2 - I liked the concept of a flying tank that the first predator embodied, so I had to improve on it for fighting Gargoyles. I love this suit of armor, and the art for it is top notch...probably my favorite or second favorite piece in all of Triax 2.
2) Hells Angel GB - The final version is a little different than the one that was in the original manuscript (mainly I had included a partcle beam and some plasma blades...maybe I'll post an "alternate" version of the canon one sometime soon). Still, A flying glitter boy is a great mobile sniper, but I would not allow it to fire a boom gun while flying, which would be the justification for the original weapon I designed for it. Design Note: This was inspired by the original Kevin Long RIFTS logo that was half skeletal monster and half winged horned GB thing.
3) Super SAMAS - C'mon, really? This think is a beast. Fast. Tough. Energy Weapons and Grenades. Load up with micro-fusion and say good bye to whatever you are shootin' at.
4) Fat Boy Glitter Boy - I had to put this on the list, mainly because it embodies pretty much every reason people like the Glitter Boy, plus its goofy looking. If anyone was at the open house, they may have seen my original drawing of this thing, which was on the back of some pre-calculus math homework from my junior year in highschool. Take a guess at what I do more...Spend time designing robots for a fictional post apocalypic setting, or pre-calculus.
5) X-550 Glitter Boy - German Engineering > American Engineering
6) USA G-10 Glitter Boy - American Engineering < German Engineering
7) Predtor X-10A - Refer to Point 1. This thing is a classic flying tank. Triax is selling these things at a discount now, and they are better than the regular SAMAS in almost every way (also refer to points 5 and 6)
8 ) Special Forces SAMAS - Missile Boat with mobility.
9) Ulti-Max - Force Field, Pretty Mobile, a lot of mini-missiles, Probably the best all around suit for the price.
10) Titan Power Armor from RIFTER #4 - I had to include something from this rifter since the stuff in it is some of my favorites and I cant include the Rapid Strike robot on this list. It is the Power Armor that the Titan Power Armor from Merc Ops is based on, except it is better over all in every area that counts, and I personally like the art that Brandon Clark did for it better than Apollos art in this case.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

The Galactus Kid wrote:7) Predtor X-10A - Refer to Point 1. This thing is a classic flying tank. Triax is selling these things at a discount now, and they are better than the regular SAMAS in almost every way (also refer to points 5 and 6)

OK I'm sorry I'll need to disagree with that. I'm not going to say the old SAMAS is better though...

The X-10A has a -1 Dodge penalty.
The SAMAS gets a +1 Dodge bonus.
The SAMAS is a hair faster on the ground and in the air.
The SAMAS is a bit smaller, making it a more difficult target to find (if one uses such things)

Yes the Predator's main gun has an unlimited supply of ammo and better armor protection. Considering the significant weight difference between the two, I'm pretty sure one could up-armor the SAMAS to more closely match the Predator.

I really don't consider the range capability of the Predator's flight pack all that great. That feature would be fantastic for a spy plane or a strategic bomber, not so much for a tactical unit designed for short range/duration missions. Since there is no auto-pilot or a way of maintaining nutrition, who wants to pilot this thing for 24 hours straight? Palladium may not impose some fatigue penalties in this case, but I do believe they would be warranted.
The Galactus Kid

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:7) Predtor X-10A - Refer to Point 1. This thing is a classic flying tank. Triax is selling these things at a discount now, and they are better than the regular SAMAS in almost every way (also refer to points 5 and 6)

OK I'm sorry I'll need to disagree with that. I'm not going to say the old SAMAS is better though...

The X-10A has a -1 Dodge penalty.
The SAMAS gets a +1 Dodge bonus.
The SAMAS is a hair faster on the ground and in the air.
The SAMAS is a bit smaller, making it a more difficult target to find (if one uses such things)

Yes the Predator's main gun has an unlimited supply of ammo and better armor protection. Considering the significant weight difference between the two, I'm pretty sure one could up-armor the SAMAS to more closely match the Predator.

I really don't consider the range capability of the Predator's flight pack all that great. That feature would be fantastic for a spy plane or a strategic bomber, not so much for a tactical unit designed for short range/duration missions. Since there is no auto-pilot or a way of maintaining nutrition, who wants to pilot this thing for 24 hours straight? Palladium may not impose some fatigue penalties in this case, but I do believe they would be warranted.

Yeah, for me it all comes down to preference.

Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Oh boy, Top 10 best power armors on Rifts Earth? Time to crack out the books! One thing to keep in mind is that I never go for strait damage or MDC, but rather utility and flexibility. Also, most of my favorites are ground power armor.

1. NGR Super Trooper Power Armor. (World Book 5)
2. Naruni Enforcer Power Armor (Dimension Book 3)
3. J.A.P.E. Defender Power Armor. (World Book 10)
4. Rusty Power Armor (World Book 19)
5. Naruni Infiltrator Power Armor (Dimension Book 6)
6. Glitterboy Number 7 (World Book 9)
7. Glitterboy Killer (World Book 11)
8. Point Glitterboy (World Book 8 )
9. Glitter Girl (World Book 22)
10. NG-Samson (RMB, RUE)

Reasons for each one:

1. The Fusion block missiles are immensely useful in breaking open walls and doing strategic damage to enemies, and the Fusion block charges make it great for demolitions.
2. Riot Foam, grenade launchers for indirect fire, stun gun, and additional lethal weapons to boot.
3. Basically a lesser version of the Naruni Enforcer Power Armor. Grenade launchers provide indirect fire, the stun gun is excellent, interesting bola firing weapon, and variable frequency lasers.
4. I absolutely love the modular features of this Power armor. It's basically able to use just about any type of cyborg forearm tool or weapon, and the only reason it isn't number 1 is because it's in freaking Australia.
5. Despite being stuck using batteries (which I think is stupid as all heck for this suit), it's excellent for infiltration and has a number of nice features for close range combat scenarios.
6. Large number of weapons and isn't rooted in place when firing. Customized for each individuals frame. Basically the first Glitter Girl power armor.
7. Weapons, weapons, and more weapons. It has energy weapons, grenade launchers for indirect fire, mini-missiles, and vibro blades for close quarters.
8. This interesting little Glitterboy unit has smoke dispensers, which is a feature one does not see very often in a power armor.
9. Interesting weapon options. Also, it takes a special someone to pilot one of these sexed up suits.
10. It runs fast. It runs really really fast. In fact, I often question if this armor is actually running or leaping when it is moving at maximum speed.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

In no particular order for ones that have not been mentioned:

Kittani Raptor Power Armor (SA1 pg 79-81). I think this is a better platform that their Serpent PA (Atantis) as the basic weapons load is better. Overall the bonuses are better than the Serpent. IINM it is one of the deadlist melee PA fighters I've seen. If it has one draw back it is the lack of the use of a handheld weapon being available (it is not mentioned) to give it more versatility in the weapons department.

Kittani "Firedrake" PA (SA1, pg 82-3). Two 6k ft range rail guns, Medium Range missiles, and is even deadier in melee combat than the Raptor. Bonuses are usually better than the Equestrain.

Kittani Equestrain Power Armor (Atlantis, pg141-3). Fluff puts it at a match for Triax technology. The ability to seperate and become two platforms (a Manling PA and headless Robot Horse).

The Kittani PAs don't fall into the sterotypical basic outline either. All of them might be considered boarderline robot vehicles.

Hoplite (SA1, pg92-5). TW PA that is essentially maintainance free, so long as you have a Ley Line or Pryamid to park it for repairs. Range is a bit limited for weapons, but that could be countered by using more conventional handheld weapons.

Merbot Power Armor (Underseas, pg101-2), if for no other reason than it takes a novel approach to the aquatic environment that is lacking from other amphibious PA I've seen in Rifts, tucking the legs into a tail to improve swimming speeds.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

My favorite P.A. is Glitter Boy 7. It does not need the pylon system meaning it can be on the move when firing and since the Gatling gun does not create a sonic boom it's a little more stealthy. With the Gatling gun system it adds solid projectiles which gets around energy resistant spells & abilities and if you add U-rounds to the mix it can help to bring down big regenerating monsters. I think Free Quebec should have added them to their GB army since it has allot of advantages over all the older & newer F.Q. GBs which seems of have been nerfed in firepower, then Triax 2 comes out with Flying GB with a full powered Boomgun and Fatboys with dual boomguns.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

I'm a little surprised no one has listed a PA because its versitile, low cost/cost effective, or just for looks.
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'll break them down by category. Note that I'm restricting this to armors FROM Earth, not the imports:

1. Aesthetics: Original Samas. Best looking power armor they ever made. All its more recent incarnations are just too cartoony.
2. Price: Anything by Chipwell. (side note: anyone have some rules for replacing Chipwell SDC plates with scavenged MDC stuff?)
3. Long-range firepower: Glitterboy (model selection is debatable, and they're pretty similar in concept across the board)
4. Heavy Assault: the Triax Super Trooper (aka Can-Opener) anti-armor power armor with the fusion blocks.
5. General Assault: TC-20 Power Armor. Man-sized, fast, and can jump long distances in/out in a big hurry. Also good for hit and run, but not quite as good as the SAMAS or its less-stylish clones.
6. Aerial Combat: The Flying Titan from the original Rifts. Nothing like a 12-missile volley in a single attack. Others may outclass it now, but the basic concept is the same, and can be executed cheaply enough by this venerable (and cheaper) suit.
7. Guerilla Tactics: SAMAS, or one of its stat-inflated descendents. Also good for assault, though the bulk of the wings and engines could encumber it in tighter spaces
8. Hand-to-Hand: A toss-up between the Juicer Killer and the GB Killer.
9. Best Personalized suit: The HPA-1 Firebrand, from the begining of Mechanoids. If only ARCHIE would put that one on the market.
10. Most-Sustainable Suit: The Ulti-Max. 100 MDC of free damage absorbtion is hard to beat unless you have a large maintenance crew taking care of your suit.
[edit: corrected/clarified a few items, put the categories in bold]
Last edited by Hotrod on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
dragonfett
Knight

The Samson Power Armor is still considered a Flying PA because of the booster jets in the feet.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Hotrod wrote:6. Aerial Combat: The Northern Gun Flying power armor from the original Rifts (I don't recall the model). Nothing like a 12-missile volley in a single attack. Others may outclass it now, but the basic concept is the same, and can be executed cheaply enough by this venerable (and cheaper) suit.

Do you mean the FT-005 Flying Titan Power Armor, made by Titan? Or did you mean the NG-X9 Samson Northern Gun Power Armor, the one that doesn't fly at all? :?:

Hotrod wrote:9. Best Personalized suit: The one at the begining of Mechanoids. If only ARCHIE would put that one on the market.

You mean the Arch HPA-1 Firebrand? :?:

Yes, I meant the Flying Titan Power Armor (My bad, but I would point out that it doesn't look at all like their robots), and yes, I meant the Firebrand.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
dragonfett
Knight

But it states in the same area, that it isn't considered "flight".

But for the purposes of Robot Combat: Elite, it is considered a flying power armor, and that is the only thing that I can think of.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

I was under the impression that the +5 bonus was for the person already flying in the air, and doesn't apply to any jumping/falling actions, because of the potential automatic dodge bonus that could be added, "if" the attacker decides to shot him/her while going up/coming down in the air, from the power armor arc-leap.

If you look at the write up for the Robot Combat: Elite for Flying Power Armors, it specifically mentions the NG Samson.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Esckey wrote:I'm a little surprised no one has listed a PA because its versitile, low cost/cost effective, or just for looks.

Do you have a Top Ten list? :)

Well I don't have my books any where near me so I can't make an actual list. But Gladius Exo(says Exo suit but its stats are closer to a PA) for cost effective, a Glitter Boy and a SAMUS would be on the list for obvious reasons, and probably the Super Trooper PA from Triax. But like I said don't have the books just going off of memory
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

dragonfett wrote:
I was under the impression that the +5 bonus was for the person already flying in the air, and doesn't apply to any jumping/falling actions, because of the potential automatic dodge bonus that could be added, "if" the attacker decides to shot him/her while going up/coming down in the air, from the power armor arc-leap.

If you look at the write up for the Robot Combat: Elite for Flying Power Armors, it specifically mentions the NG Samson.

I'm pretty sure that's a "typo" - I don't recall the Samson as being flight capable, and a rocket boosted jump isn't the same as actual flight.

I wonder if anyone with a later re-print of RUE could check to see if there's been any changes there.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Emperor Ryu wrote:
dragonfett wrote:If you look at the write up for the Robot Combat: Elite for Flying Power Armors, it specifically mentions the NG Samson.

Page, please? :-(

It's in the Rifts Ultimate Edition book. Sorry don't have the book handy right now.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

I always understood robot combat elite to be a skill you picked and then picked a specific type of PA. Like Robot Combat Elite: Glitterboy, Robot Combat Elite: SAMAS ect.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Esckey wrote:I'm a little surprised no one has listed a PA because its versitile, low cost/cost effective, or just for looks.

You didn't look at my top 10 did you...
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
dragonfett
Knight

It is page 352, top of the page, left hand side, second line down, right after Triax Predator.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Not that I can recall.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:It's in the Rifts Ultimate Edition book. Sorry don't have the book handy right now.

Me neither. I still haven't bought that book yet. :( Right now, I'm focused on getting Triax 2, so I can update part of my military forces. Then I have to get 5 dimensional books on the Three Galaxies to update my Fleets too.

Thank You for informing me where I can find that typo though. :-D

Triax 2 is a worthy book to get.

On the Samson, according to it's own write-up in RUE (now that I'm home and can check), it does have a impressive leaping ability. It also flat out says - "This is not flight." Hence a typo.
dragonfett
Knight

As far as the IAR-2 Abolisher goes, that was intentional. That is the newer model and I even believe that CWC explains all of that.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Emperor Ryu wrote:
Rifts Ultimate Edition - number of typos discovered, 1.

Well I know errata like this has already been collected, and the 2nd printing was able to correct them (I think). I believe there was a 2nd effort to find any additional errata for the 3rd printing as well.

Regarding the custom armor, the "Rusty" power armor from Australia is able to be custom designed. I believe Rifter's #50/#51(?) had an article about vehicle construction, but I'm not sure if it included power armor or not.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

On the errata -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86457

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=112081

(If you don't see these threads, then at the bottom of the Rifts forum you'll see a "Display topics from previous" and just select "All topics")
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I like Flying Titan,Ng Samson,CS Samas,Ng Gladius,Glitter boy,NGR Jager.

Any good Power armors in Mech ops?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

gaby wrote:Any good Power armors in Mech ops?

I like the NG Red Hawk.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

In no particular order
    1 ) Naruni Stealth Armor
    2 ) NG Gladius
    3 ) Sampson
    4 ) Titan Footman Power armor
    5 ) Wild Weasel
    6 ) Fat boy Glitter Boy*
    7 ) X-80 Butterfly*
    8 ) Triax Super Trooper
    9 ) Triax Terrain Hopper
    10 ) CS Terror Trooper

* Those suits marked with an asterisk are conditional, I of course cannot endorse a power armor suit written by Brandon Aten, but if in fact those suits where written by one Taylor White or even Kevin Siembedia they are among the finest suits of armor in the game. If these suits where indeed written by that black hole of ignorance known as Brandon Aten then you are better off with warmonger armor, or something cobbled together out of old cereal boxes.

1 ) while it is battery powered, it provides a +20% to prowl and immunity to dozens of detection methods. The robotic strength and the improved optics mean this power armor is the ideal sniper suit.
2 ) while their is some dispute about whether or not this is even power armor, it is one of the best suits in the game on a cost to effectiveness ratio. It provides strength augmentation which means you can equip it with a rail gun and it is still one of the cheapest suits in the game while still providing massive benafits.
3 ) Samas Armor values, missiles, a Heavy Rail gun, enhanced melee ability and superior mobility? For a half million credits? Sold. Many people may wonder why I did not go with the Missile man Sampson, The answer is simple, the extra missiles are not worth the loss of mobility. You know what blows the Missile Man Sampson out of the water? A Sampson with a laser designator. Being able to move quickly over any terrain is not worth some firepower you could as easily direct from miles away.
4 ) Everything that makes the Sampson shine plus a free attack from a tiny little turret, its more expensive than a Sampson but still a very good suit if you cannot get a Sampson.
5 ) I realize we are talking about ground power armors, so assume I am talking about a Wild Weasel with both wings and all of the maneuvering thrusters cut off by a vibra blade. The black Boxes are still worth it, though not as effective as on a flying suit.
6 ) Finally a glitter boy that makes up for all of the difficulties inherent in piloting a glitter boy, still an eyesore, but a very nice eyesore.
7 ) Despite its wimpy name this suit can lay waste to opponents in the first round of combat, its lasers and optional rail gun mean the second round is somewhat effective but its real shine is in the first round. Worry about what survives the opening volley.
8 ) I am surprised that other nations have not picked up on the concept behind this armor, it uses superior climbing and maneuverability to lay shaped charges on large enemies to make enemies regret billions spent on robot vehicles. Brilliant.
9 ) Everything that makes the Gladius and the Sampson worthwhile in a lighter and smaller German package.
10) I am contractually obligated to include one Coalition power armor in this listing, and the terror trooper is mine, good armor, not terrible price tag but not great either, but it can be equipped with nearly any heavy weapon which is nice.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid

Ninjabunny wrote:Brandon Aten Burn is worth Ten points. :D

You can both die in a a fire.

Return to “Rifts®”