Astral Hole

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crazy Lou
Hero

Astral Hole

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

I want to know whether one could cast astral hole but have it appear in front of him to swallow enemy fire, rather than using the hole to dodge the fire.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Crazy Lou
Hero

Re: Astral Hole

Because then you don't have to dodge. You could cast the spell before entering combat, and the enemy wouldn't even know it was there. Plus you would only need to spend actions casting it, and no extra actions dodging later. It's like having an absolute shield against all projectile attack from one direction. That's awesome.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Crazy Lou wrote:Because then you don't have to dodge. You could cast the spell before entering combat, and the enemy wouldn't even know it was there. Plus you would only need to spend actions casting it, and no extra actions dodging later. It's like having an absolute shield against all projectile attack from one direction. That's awesome.
:ok: Ah, the wicked, wicked, wicked mind of the average Gamer......

(A bit convoluted and relatively easy to bypass -but still, pretty damned awesome and creative. Try it on your own GM sometime....... :twisted: )
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Crazy Lou
Hero

cornholioprime wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:Because then you don't have to dodge. You could cast the spell before entering combat, and the enemy wouldn't even know it was there. Plus you would only need to spend actions casting it, and no extra actions dodging later. It's like having an absolute shield against all projectile attack from one direction. That's awesome.
:ok: Ah, the wicked, wicked, wicked mind of the average Gamer......

(A bit convoluted and relatively easy to bypass -but still, pretty damned awesome and creative. Try it on your own GM sometime....... :twisted: )

Well the reason it's a bit convoluted is that I was looking for missile volley and LRM bypasses. I figured the easiest way would be to swallow it into some sort of other dimension or portal or something, since deflection could his stuff you don't want it to, and wall of defense only has a percentage chance of disarming them, which kinda sucks.

Plus the astral hole usage like this is nice for surprise too. Suppose you're busting into some room and you know you'll be outgunned. Cast astral hole right before entry and put it in front of you. You can now shoot the enemy and they can't shoot you, provided you keep the hole between you and the enemy. Also it's good for defense, or if you're running away/being chased or that sort of thing. It just seems that if you used the hole as a "shield" rather than as cover to dodge into and out of that the spell becomes much more useful and versatile.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unfortunately, I have GOOD news and BAD news.

The GOOD News:

Only you can use the Astral Hole, which means that even if other people can see it with their Astral Senses, they can't follow you in.

The BAD News:

Per the wording of the spell: remember what I just said about only you being able to use the Portal?

I have to be honest with you and point out that if YOU are the only one who can use the portal, then all those Energy Beams and Projectiles coming your way can't "use" the Portal, either, and the over-confident Mage in your OP scenario just got himself turned into a fine red mist as the attacks went right past a door which, for them, doesn't exist.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Crazy Lou
Hero

Oh, I just re-read the spell to see why you said that and I realize I missed the parenthetical "(and only the spell caster)."

Thanks for catching that.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Crazy Lou wrote:I want to know whether one could cast astral hole but have it appear in front of him to swallow enemy fire, rather than using the hole to dodge the fire.

Yes,
if you modify the spell as per the spell modification rules in ether Through the Glass Darkly or Mysteries of magic. The resulting spell will be of a higher level and cost more PPE.

(Opinion: the TtGD ones are better.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

I had to look at the name of this topic twice. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Danger wrote:I had to look at the name of this topic twice. :D
Yes, and after Crazy Lou modifies the spell per the aforementioned Modification Rules in Mysteries of Magic, along with some help from refugee Mages from Tolkien who helped design its own Triangular Rift defenses.....

............he could have a Swallowing A-Hole.

.....What???

Return to “Rifts®”