rifts atlas

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

would you like to see rifts atlas books?

yes
93%
no
7%

Total votes: 89

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

RIFTS Google Earth! :D
Seriously, a fully detailed, zoom enabled, rotating globe of rifts earth, complete with notes on locations, would make for a tremendous Palladium digital product! Make map updates available from the PB site when new world books come out. Oh it'd be sweet... 8)
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I voted in favor of it!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Not only would I like to see geographic maps and charts (mountain ranges, rivers, forest, desert, altitudes and all), but political maps (country boundries) for the major time periods (99 pa, 109 PA, ect..) ALL IN COLOR.

Additionally, seperate maps for Simvan/psistalker ranges, ley lines and nexus points (as described in the world overview in RUE...OMG! consistancy? NEVER!) and other stuff that would not fit in the above maps.

Oh yeah, I DONT want to see reprints of old geographic maps. They have no consistancy between one map (florida looks different, New Orleans looks different...) or another, or even the descriptions in RUE.

Id also like to see the maps of the cities with notes on which building is which. Firetown, Merc Town, Chi town, Splynn, ect... I dont need to know the actual description of the buildings (thats what the world books are for), but have the numbers indicating what building is which.

Perhaps a BLANK map...cause we know SOMETHING is going to change in the future....
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Kagashi wrote:Not only would I like to see geographic maps and charts (mountain ranges, rivers, forest, desert, altitudes and all), but political maps (country boundries) for the major time periods (99 pa, 109 PA, ect..) ALL IN COLOR.

Additionally, seperate maps for Simvan/psistalker ranges, ley lines and nexus points (as described in the world overview in RUE...OMG! consistancy? NEVER!) and other stuff that would not fit in the above maps.

Oh yeah, I DONT want to see reprints of old geographic maps. They have no consistancy between one map (florida looks different, New Orleans looks different...) or another, or even the descriptions in RUE.

Id also like to see the maps of the cities with notes on which building is which. Firetown, Merc Town, Chi town, Splynn, ect... I dont need to know the actual description of the buildings (thats what the world books are for), but have the numbers indicating what building is which.

Perhaps a BLANK map...cause we know SOMETHING is going to change in the future....

Not only do I second that, I would buy such products in a heartbeat!
ImageImageImage
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

I still say the "google earth" style viewer is the way to go... Ima start making some mods here see what I can come up with... so many side projects.
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

Wow, back over a year ago, just as RUE was coming out, I had a huge forum post on this.

I even got a chance to ask KS directly about it! Here is his answer, from THE MAN.

May 30, 2006
Dear Phadeout,

Thanks for the strong suggestion on a book of maps. I'll give it some thought. A bunche of maps "are" collected in the Rifts G.M. Guide, but I hear what you're saying.

Maps are a lot more work and time than you might think. Heck, they are a downright pain in the @$$ . . . but I probably should think about doing the kind of book you suggest. You're right, people would love the darn thing.

No promises, but its in the back of my mind now. Wink

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda

Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

I liked the Old Ones book.

But I guess it gets old after a while. I said yes anyway.
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

I think, since it's been a year, people need to Talk to KS directly about this! If you want to see it in print, every single person that posted YES on the poll, should PM KS. Trust me, do it! I will forward the original message to him and see if he has anything to say.

When you get 20 PMs in your in box about maps, it has a much larger effect.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Agreed.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Lord of Bones wrote:I would caution against flooding Kevin's inbox with requests for this. By all accounts, he has a lot on his plate right now, and with so many other books in the pipes this will probably take a back seat to them.

Consider this as well: all of the maps in the books were produced by PB. Almost everyone who mentions them dislikes them at least a little bit. To produce better/different/other maps may involve hiring outside the company, which is apparently more than they can afford right now.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that an atlas would be an awesome idea, and have said so in the past, but I just don't think that a deluge of PMs will change Palladium's stance on it at the moment.

And making a decent map can be a major pain. Making a book full of them would be an exercise in aggravation! :lol:

Why not use this thread to compile a list of maps that we all think should be included? It could serve as a gathering of ideas that we want to see in the book so that when Kevin does find the money and the time to give the book more serious consideration, he can look here and consider adding our ideas to his own?

Excellent points! Very well IMHO, a Rifts Atlas should be as follows (if it is to be printed rather then digital):
Same page size as the other books, but spiral boundto lay flat on a table.
It should include overall Maps of All major cotinents (including a scale key of course). It should include detail maps of the areas described in every World Book noting every city, landmark, etc.

Either a printed or digital version would be a huge undertaking, however I reccomend PB explore the option as a "Google Earth" Rifts Style, as I have mentioned before. Such software would make changes and updates extremely easy. Besides I wanna "fly to" Chi-Town! :D
Carl

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Lord of Bones wrote:
For starters, I think a nice map would be a poster-sized topographical map of North America, done in color. I would frame it and draw my own Ley Lines in on the map with a marker. The map would note all canon locations in NA. If you didn't put it in glass, you could push-pin the hell out of it to add your own places of interest, or to use it as a reference for players.

LOL...check your gmail when you get a chance. Talk about a coincidence!
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Guys, you could come up with decent full color maps just using a simple application like Campaign Cartographer, (& so could Palladium).
See:
http://www.profantasy.com/

Actually, an even better idea would be an official Palladium webpage with a dynamic map that changes (including changing borders, troop movements, etc.) from events like Siege on Tolkeen.
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: rifts atlas

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

The coastlines have changed drasticly as well as much of the terain since the war. Having a better overview of the changes and comparison of before and after would be greatly apreciated for formulating campeigns of areas not covered yet in the books. In adition Maps of the ley lines and their intensity, nexus points and any spesific information pertaining to the nexus such as the devils arc would be benificial.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Arise. ARISE! ARISE YE DEAD THREAD!!!

*looks around* Ah ha! Someone has decided to help me build me army! Let the insanity begin!!!
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Tired to wait for it, I started my own Rifts Atlas.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Leonardo T Dragon
D-Bee

Unread post by Leonardo T Dragon »

mobuttu wrote:Tired to wait for it, I started my own Rifts Atlas.

Now THIS is what I've been looking for! I started a 101PA campaign about a year ago and have been wanting some good accessible maps that I could write on if need be. (The party has finally migrated across "The Great River" and is heading toward Kingsdale.)

THANKS!
Daily GIJoe news, Reviews, and more...
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

Leonardo T Dragon wrote:
mobuttu wrote:Tired to wait for it, I started my own Rifts Atlas.

Now THIS is what I've been looking for! I started a 101PA campaign about a year ago and have been wanting some good accessible maps that I could write on if need be. (The party has finally migrated across "The Great River" and is heading toward Kingsdale.)

THANKS!

Glad to see it is of good you for you! :-D
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

Laminated maps to pin on a wall for different campaigns as reference points. A world map, maps of different territories, a removable ley line overlay, borders, spheres of influence.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

I would buy a collection of RIFTS maps in about 1/8 of a heart beat. Laminate them, grab some dry erase markers, yeah...that would be awesome. Especially city maps, would really help me keep track of where my players were when running from whatever is chasing them, or while they are chasing whatever.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”