Can rifts be to the past?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Can rifts be to the past?

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i believe there are tables that have moving forward in time as a random result possibility. don't think there's any listed chance of going backwards in time, but obviously in your world you can make it happen anyways ;)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

paxmiles wrote:Just wondering if the Rift can be to a location forward or backward in time? I've always assumed so, but I don't know.
-Pax

Yes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

It's how the player group in the game I was playing with was able to get back to the times of Chaos Earth. I wouldn't say they are a common find or easy to generate, though.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

It specifically states in the RUE IIRC that a high level Shifter, who are the undisputed masters of dimensional travelling, have a 1 in a thousand chance of opening a rift that links to the past reliably. The only class that can open rifts to different times reliably are Temporal Wizards, Warriors, and Raiders.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

dragonfett wrote:It specifically states in the RUE IIRC that a high level Shifter, who are the undisputed masters of dimensional travelling, have a 1 in a thousand chance of opening a rift that links to the past reliably. The only class that can open rifts to different times reliably are Temporal Wizards, Warriors, and Raiders.

Or mystical items of plot convenience. :lol:

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

dragonfett
Knight

True dat.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

paxmiles wrote:Just wondering if the Rift can be to a location forward or backward in time? I've always assumed so, but I don't know.
-Pax
Yes.

First, remember that when the Atlantean Cataclysm occurred, some of their number were catapulted backwards in time and elsewhere in space, to become the advanced-technology civilization......that would one day spawn the Mechanoids. (Keep in mind that this first method of time travel is impossible to achieve without the use of tremendous, Great Cataclysm-levels of magical force expended all in one moment.)

Second, there are even specific places that you can go to, which will do it for you (although the Authors' Hand of God prevents you from actually changing anything -you can only observe)....and on Rifts Earth, those places are located in an ancient stone structure (an American Stonehenge or Great Burial Mound, if you will), in the pages of Rifts: Dinosaur Swamp.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
dragonfett
Knight

Koshindan, where does it say that?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

There is always the blue police box than no one notices out of place even though your not even on Earth. :)

Yes they are rips in time AND space.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I prefer Telephone Booths and Rufus.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
dragonfett
Knight

I prefer a DeLorian, time traveling in style!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I believe there is a map of rifts through time in Time Bandits.

"The Devil's among us!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

-Pax

Canonly speaking yes, Rifts are tear's in the fabric of space and time.

I am extremely curious if Palladium is ever going to come out with a "Time Book" outside of the "Dimension Books" time streams as it were ..

And how would they go about changing things .. or re-arranging things to make it turn out differently an other such goodies ..
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Lenwen wrote:
-Pax

I am extremely curious if Palladium is ever going to come out with a "Time Book" outside of the "Dimension Books" time streams as it were ..

And how would they go about changing things .. or re-arranging things to make it turn out differently an other such goodies ..

transdimensional TMNT had time travel in it. also mutant dinosaurs.

but you probably meant a rifts book. and also a book that they are actually still publishing.
Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

The TMNT time travel rules are interesting. As a kid I didn't really understand the implications and didn't really like the system. I wanted Back to the Future style do whatever you want time travel.

But in retrospect, it's a neat concept that living beings that go back in time revert to a primal state and living beings that go forward in time 'evolve' to a more advanced state.

With non living matter, things from the future quickly get eroded by the time energies and rust, break and fall apart into useless junk, where as items from the past become like new, sturdy and more durable. (Why, this can't be an original Amazing Fantasy #14 -- it was clearly just printed and the ink and paper is all wrong)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

YES !!!

Rifts are rips in TIME and SPACE and DIMENSIONS.
Btw the 4th Dimension is TIME.

By Science Standards just Teleporting somewhere is actually Time Traveling. The physical space was not traveled in the alloted time it should take. Oh course Science even equates using Cars, Trains, or any transportation method as Time Travel too, because it is Faster than Human Walking/Running methods. Does that make sense ?? Not really, but it was Einstein himself was said that stuff.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I've used Temporal Rifts in my games. They can be loads of fun especially when the players realized later that the young officer they rescued was Joseph Prosek. Yeah that was a fun game and seeing the look on the players faces was priceless. Rifts are a GM's story telling tool and they are not just one trick ponies. You can do all kinds of fun things with them. Have fun and game on :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I concur that the best way to time travel is by police call box and bowties are cool.
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

Rifts can open to wherever and whenever you want :-)
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Honestly, before they release any more new material they need to fix up their current inventory. They have spelling errors, punctuation issues, missing information, statistics problems, skill updates, and other details that need to be remedied.

Kalidor
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kalidor »

Anthar wrote:I concur that the best way to time travel is by police call box and bowties are cool.

What about a fez?
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Colt47 wrote:Honestly, before they release any more new material they need to fix up their current inventory. They have spelling errors, punctuation issues, missing information, statistics problems, skill updates, and other details that need to be remedied.

Talk about coming out of left field :-? or is this some kind of temporal paradox from another thread :P
ImageImage
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
-Pax

transdimensional TMNT had time travel in it. also mutant dinosaurs.

but you probably meant a rifts book. and also a book that they are actually still publishing.

It also had an explination how equipment you took from one era wouldn't be so rediculously powerful when you took it back in time... TE.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I would like to see a Rifts book about an alternate Aftermath for 110 PA. You know what I'm talkin bout Willis? One where Tolkeen wins, Holmes dies (according to the books at the hands of the Xits), the Coalition limps home and decides to keep their DB hatin anti-magic ways to themselves. Then maybe Free Quebec and Tolkeen work together with smaller kingdoms and other city-states like Lazlo to deal with the Xiticix hoards. Not a major world overhaul, just a few minor differences in the immediate past.

"The Devil's among us!
Supergyro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Supergyro »

This thread brings into focus on aspect of the game that seems terribly underdeveloped.

There are many things that come from rifts,

And much writing devoted to other dimensions (Rift destinations),

But not a lot about the rifts themselves. If Rifts can be through time, or into mirror universes, or all that rot, that opens up a lot of un-tapped potential. It also makes Shifters a lot more influential (A major challenge would be to write Rift-time travel using rules that didn't break the system).
"The key is your mind, control and master it. Doing that will not only master your body, but also enable you to shape the world around you to your every desire."

---Said by a Psyscape teacher to a class of Psi Warriors
---Said by a Mindwerks technician, before he drills the hole in your skull
dragonfett
Knight

What about an alternate Rifts Earth where the Coalition are Mutant Animal with a anti-human regime (think Planet of the Apes)? How about that for a plot twist? Not necessarily a whole world book (or dimension book, to be more precise) on that alternate reality, but ideas on parallel worlds.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Jorel wrote:I would like to see a Rifts book about an alternate Aftermath for 110 PA. You know what I'm talkin bout Willis? One where Tolkeen wins, Holmes dies (according to the books at the hands of the Xits), the Coalition limps home and decides to keep their DB hatin anti-magic ways to themselves. Then maybe Free Quebec and Tolkeen work together with smaller kingdoms and other city-states like Lazlo to deal with the Xiticix hoards. Not a major world overhaul, just a few minor differences in the immediate past.

I'd like to see an alternate reality where The Nuclear exchange didn't happen exactly at midnight which ended up making the apocolypse not that bad and allowed most of the coutries to survive relatively in tact... oh wait that was supposed to be Chaos Earth. :x
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

dragonfett wrote:What about an alternate Rifts Earth where the Coalition are Mutant Animal with a anti-human regime (think Planet of the Apes)? How about that for a plot twist? Not necessarily a whole world book (or dimension book, to be more precise) on that alternate reality, but ideas on parallel worlds.
There are already nation-states that follow this template in some settings in the Palladium Module "After the Bomb" and/or "Mutants in Orbit."

I think.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Colt47
Champion

Unread post by Colt47 »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Colt47 wrote:Honestly, before they release any more new material they need to fix up their current inventory. They have spelling errors, punctuation issues, missing information, statistics problems, skill updates, and other details that need to be remedied.

Talk about coming out of left field :-? or is this some kind of temporal paradox from another thread :P

it's my evil side that was trapped inside the time paradox.

Return to “Rifts®”