Mechanoid space

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cl7277
Wanderer

Mechanoid space

Unread post by cl7277 »

Will Mechanoid space ever see the light of day? And do you even want to see this book? I would like to see this book. Sense Palladium is going back over old books like source book one, and given them a redo. Why not give the Mechanoids book a redo do and add some info on Mechanoid space.
Rallan
Champion

Re: Mechanoid space

Unread post by Rallan »

Nobody knows if it'll see the light of day. It's more than a decade and a half since it was first announced, and since then there've been plenty of mentions in press releases and elsewhere of various artists turning in work for it and various writers attempting to tackle the project. It's long since become the unofficial mascot of Palladium's sometimes vague and dubious release schedule :)
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I wouldn;t mind seeing a revised Sourcebook 2 with new mechnoids and updated for 110 PA> They were defeated and were down but aren;t out b a long shot type thing :D
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Carl Gleba is / was / may be working on it.

Until it gets released, I'm a happy camper playing Mechanoids: Homeworld. I discovered it with the Mechanoids Collection book a few years ago and its been a blast.

If you don't have the Collection, pick it up. Great fun!
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yes I am/was working on this with Kevin. It's not forgotten.
ImageImage
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I do hope that the MDC values get at least a slight boost. Looking over the Rifts Mechanoid sopurcebook to me anyway they seem underpowered imo.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Sureshot wrote:I do hope that the MDC values get at least a slight boost. Looking over the Rifts Mechanoid sopurcebook to me anyway they seem underpowered imo.

I always had the opposite problem with them.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Carl Gleba

Sureshot wrote:I do hope that the MDC values get at least a slight boost. Looking over the Rifts Mechanoid sopurcebook to me anyway they seem underpowered imo.

I think Mechanoids strengths are meant to be their numbers. If the current numbers don't provide a challenge then double the number of mechanoids.
ImageImage
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Ditto. Back when the Rifts Mechanoids book was new, the only MDC powerhouse classes available were dragons and full-conversion borgs. Your average party was made up entirely of humans in body armor, with the (relatively low-statted) power armor or robot vehicles from the corebook and sourcebook 1 being all that was available for heavy support.

If the Mechanoid stats in Rifts Sourcebook 2 look underpowered to some folks, it's because of the rampant power creep in later books.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Carl Gleba wrote:

I think Mechanoids strengths are meant to be their numbers. If the current numbers don't provide a challenge then double the number of mechanoids.

:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

Rallan wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Ditto. Back when the Rifts Mechanoids book was new, the only MDC powerhouse classes available were dragons and full-conversion borgs. Your average party was made up entirely of humans in body armor, with the (relatively low-statted) power armor or robot vehicles from the corebook and sourcebook 1 being all that was available for heavy support.

If the Mechanoid stats in Rifts Sourcebook 2 look underpowered to some folks, it's because of the rampant power creep in later books.

Thats exactly how I felt as well, only in the following source/world books did they become slightly disadvantaged numbers on paper wise.
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

I dare say it dead wow 1999 that hum how years now sorry guys
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Hell, even if it never sees print in it's own book, there's still The Rifter. "Special Mechanoid Space chapter" has a nice sound to it, spread out over a few issues.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

BookWyrm wrote:Hell, even if it never sees print in it's own book, there's still The Rifter. "Special Mechanoid Space chapter" has a nice sound to it, spread out over a few issues.

This.... I like this.... :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

ZINO wrote:I dare say it dead wow 1999 that hum how years now sorry guys

And it has been on a back burner even longer than that Zino....IIRC i read about it in hte original Conversion book one.....

\m/
BookWyrm
Champion

jaymz wrote:
BookWyrm wrote:Hell, even if it never sees print in it's own book, there's still The Rifter. "Special Mechanoid Space chapter" has a nice sound to it, spread out over a few issues.

Thanks. And even further, it could go as far as a series of "Mechanoid Space sourcebooks". Think of the first Rifts Vampire Sourcebook. The first Mech-Space sb sets the stage (background story, origin of the Mechanoids, ect.). The second provides details on the average Mechanoid Fleet & any associated allies. The third updates the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy & provides the option of the Aberrant Mechanoids with possible scenarios of intergrating the Mechanoids to whichever Palladium realm you're playing in; Phase World, Splicers, Wormwood, Skraypers, or any of the Three Galaxies.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

BookWyrm wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Thanks. And even further, it could go as far as a series of "Mechanoid Space sourcebooks". Think of the first Rifts Vampire Sourcebook. The first Mech-Space sb sets the stage (background story, origin of the Mechanoids, ect.). The second provides details on the average Mechanoid Fleet & any associated allies. The third updates the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy & provides the option of the Aberrant Mechanoids with possible scenarios of intergrating the Mechanoids to whichever Palladium realm you're playing in; Phase World, Splicers, Wormwood, Skraypers, or any of the Three Galaxies.

Makes sense to me

\m/
BookWyrm
Champion

Cool. :ok:
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Splynnys Girlfriend wrote:so is it still being done? & why did gleba say 'i am/was working on this with kevin' instead of just 'i am' or 'i was'? does even he not know?

My guess he was workingon it but with the minion wars he has shelved his portion of it and kevin may have shelved it indefinitely as after 15+ years interest may just not be there for it anymore.

\m/
Carl Gleba

Just to be clear I did get the go ahead from Kevin in 2007 to assist him with Mechanoids Space. I have a ton of notes and bunch of stuff already written. There are still several things that need to be nailed down to make Mechanoids Space a reality. I could make all the decesion myself, but then I woulnd't be much of a team player if I turned in a manuscript without Kevin's guidance. Palladium has a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. They are trying to clear out what they already have before developing what would be a new product line. So MS is on hold for the moment. I do not plan on letting it go that easy and I plan to revisit it when Palladium's back log has cleared up.
ImageImage
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Carl Gleba wrote:Just to be clear I did get the go ahead from Kevin in 2007 to assist him with Mechanoids Space. I have a ton of notes and bunch of stuff already written. There are still several things that need to be nailed down to make Mechanoids Space a reality. I could make all the decesion myself, but then I woulnd't be much of a team player if I turned in a manuscript without Kevin's guidance. Palladium has a lot of irons in the fire at the moment. They are trying to clear out what they already have before developing what would be a new product line. So MS is on hold for the moment. I do not plan on letting it go that easy and I plan to revisit it when Palladium's back log has cleared up.

Technically though, like Lemuria, Mechanoid Space IS part of the backlog :D

\m/
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Three words "Duke Nukem Forevah!"
Nuff said.
It'll show up when it does... not even carring anymore and have written a bunch of stuff to 'update' them in my personal game files.

IF Kevin ever gets off his duff and lets someone write this thing..or does it himself..swell, but nearly 15 years? Okay, that's enough time to just say kaddish over it and walk away.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

I have sigged a quote from a book because I am still waiting for this book. I absolutely love the Mechanoids.

Even when my players were all decked out with Naruni gear and stuff from SA I found that if used correctly the Mechanoids from Sourcebook 2 to be more than powerful enough to even deal with the power creep. I find that people often forget about the Mechanoid's psionics. In a single melee round 3 NPCs in the player's group were cut down by a single brute. Super Telekinesis to lift them, face them the other way, and then double particle beam blast them when they have no chance to dodge.

The Mechanoids are the one foe that my players truly FEAR.

Mechanoid Space! Coming Summer 1994!
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:For many years I would have paid a pretty penny for this book ... now I have very little interest.

I think it is safe to say you may not be the only one :(

\m/
Carl Gleba

Rhomphaia wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:Yes I am/was working on this with Kevin. It's not forgotten.

Is it going to get the Duke Nukem Forever treatment?

Seriously, even though my means are limited right now, this is one book I would find a way to get. Of all of Palladium's villains, the mechanoids are by far my favorite. They aren't so much a villain as they are a force of nature taking down the whole shebang is pretty much futile, but there are ways of scoring victories against them.

I've played the original Duke Nukem, but not the current incarnation so I can't compare. My intention is to make it as awesome as possible while staying true to the game as it was. Kevin and I have a lot of work to do on this book. The idea are not enough this is actual world building and we want to do it right.
ImageImage
BookWyrm
Champion

I miss playing Duke Nukem 3D-Atomic Edition. So visceral. So full of bad one-liners. Good times, good times.
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Carl Gleba wrote:
Rhomphaia wrote:
Carl Gleba wrote:Yes I am/was working on this with Kevin. It's not forgotten.

Is it going to get the Duke Nukem Forever treatment?

Seriously, even though my means are limited right now, this is one book I would find a way to get. Of all of Palladium's villains, the mechanoids are by far my favorite. They aren't so much a villain as they are a force of nature taking down the whole shebang is pretty much futile, but there are ways of scoring victories against them.

I've played the original Duke Nukem, but not the current incarnation so I can't compare. My intention is to make it as awesome as possible while staying true to the game as it was. Kevin and I have a lot of work to do on this book. The idea are not enough this is actual world building and we want to do it right.

I think he meant in the way it took forever and a day for Duke Nukem forever to finally come out

\m/
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

somehow i dont think it will see light, much like the rifts movie.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Honestly, I don't want to see it printed anymore. I have the triology book, and that's really all I need if I want to do a Mechanoid game. I'd much rather see Palladium put their efforts into completing book series that they've already have one or more books out for (like Japan 2, Land of the Damed 3, the Minion Wars series, ect).
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

Its slated to be released in 94 as according to the source book...........hmmm wait, since it is more then 15 years later ( more like 17) we might have to wait another 83 years
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

on a serious not, Mechanoids is going to be huge if its taken this long to get off the runway.

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Dash
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Dash »

Mechanoid Space isn't taken seriously by games distributors anymore.

And if a hobby shop owner like me can't make a Pre-Order for a half dozen copies, because the distributor doesn't take it seriously anymore, Kevin can no longer tell what real industry demand for the book might be. I assume I'm not the only shop out there who orders every bit of Palladium print thats out there to order. Literally every other book on the 'Coming Soon' page can be requested through a distributor. Just not Merchanoids Space.

I asked why- they pulled it off their preorder list in 2001, after it had sat for 7 years. Which was about 9 years too early for me to be involved.

All KS has to gauge demand with are the pre-orders from his website.

And I'll bet that the book won't see print unless that changes.

Oh, and if anyone keeps track, put my shop down for a full dozen copies.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I would have like to see it. however now i just do not care. I have the original Mechanoids Trilogy and SB2. So i can do the conversion of whatever else i need or want to add.

I do not preorder PB products anymore. Often it can take years for books to even get done if ever. Mechanoid space is a great example. I love PB, its the only RPG I buy now. But they get excited with thier ideas and then fail to produce.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

have we even seen anything in rifter for this? I know their was one character in the swimsuit issue so besides her.
Carl Gleba

Nope. Sorry :cry:
ImageImage
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

Been waiting since Source book 2.

Was all excited for the 1994 release.....next year perhaps (20 years rather then 2, i can see a miscalculation somewhere)

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i would love to see a mechanoid H.U. book,no conversion since both are sdc. extinction level alien threats are a comic book standard after all and this would make a great graphic novel series.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

man and here i was hoping for a non mdc setting with a sci fi edge
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Welp, it's almost a year since the last post in here, so I'll ask...anything new on this front, or has Robotech Tactics taken all of the resources?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Nothing new and sadly RRT has zero to do with that fact.

\m/

Return to “The Mechanoids®”