A couple of question on Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Joseph Kerr
Explorer

A couple of question on Rifts

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Hey,

1. What is the average starting PPE of normal people? Coalition Soldiers?

2. A person sometimes get's two instances of the same skills. Do you get a bonus for taking two instances of the same skill?

Edit:
3. How far can someone throw? I remember seeing a table somewhere...but for the life of me I can't find the answers to these question. Sorry if they're blatantly posted somewhere.

Thanks.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: A couple of question on Rifts

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

1. I believe its 2d6

2. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but there are some skills, such as Art and Cooking, that you can select it a second time to get a bonus. Anything else you simply get the highest bonus. For non-canon though, see "A Cut Above" in Rifter #30.

3. You might be thinking of WP Targeting. It's on pg 328 of RUE.
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

1. Thanks.

2. A character wanted to take two instances of a skill, wondering if you can gain a bonus with such a selection. I.E.: Demolitions x2. If you can't do that legally, that's fine. However, Rifter #30 has rules pertaining to this? I'll take a look at that. Thanks.

3. Hah! Honestly, slap me on the forehead. Should'a had a V8 Splash. Totally over looked "Hand Grenade" listed. Thanks. If someone isn't trained in throwing, how would you handle the range they can throw? And how is strength factored in?

Thank you for the response, we're actually playing the game the moment of this writing. Another hour's worth of game play I believe.
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

For number 2, there are certain skills if selected twice, will be considered to be at 'Professional' level, such as cooking, and a few others. I assume you're referring to this.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Ah, so, only domestic skills can be learned to a professional level? Demolitions can't?

What book and page numbers for reference, if I may ask.

Thanks!

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Page 307 of RUE, the start of the Domestic skill selections.
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Thank you!

Honestly, that was something I should have noticed. Negative points for me.

Question, which you may not be able to answer, why can't someone take other (other than domestic) skills twice and gain the "professional" tag? Also what do you think of allowing a character to re-roll a roll on the skill taken twice as a sign of their "professional" skill. Does that sound fair or potentially troublesome...?

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Joseph Kerr wrote:Ah, so, only domestic skills can be learned to a professional level? Demolitions can't?

What book and page numbers for reference, if I may ask.

Thanks!

I assume that the OCC bonuses to OCC skills and related skills reflect "professional" training, i.e.: you're a Mil.Spec. or Spec.Forces and have demolitions or demo. disposal , then you're professionally trained in said skills. This applies to ALL OCC's.
Also look under the strength rules for throwing distances, I believe that they have something on it as well.
Last edited by keir451 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Joseph Kerr wrote:Thank you!

Question, which you may not be able to answer, why can't someone take other (other than domestic) skills twice and gain the "professional" tag? Also what do you think of allowing a character to re-roll a roll on the skill taken twice as a sign of their "professional" skill. Does that sound fair or potentially troublesome...?

there is no unprofessional level of demolitions is the way i would view it. or, arguably, the non-professional level of skill with demolitions is the guy with no arms or legs...

(i believe the rifter article mentioned does have optional rules for expanding on skill use, btw, and is not only for domestic skills).

in general, however, if you're using the core rules, you can only take a given skill once unless that skill indicates otherwise (there's an appraisal one in the technical category that also lets you take it more than once, for example).
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Shark_Force wrote:
Joseph Kerr wrote:Thank you!

there is no unprofessional level of demolitions is the way i would view it. or, arguably, the non-professional level of skill with demolitions is the guy with no arms or legs...

(i believe the rifter article mentioned does have optional rules for expanding on skill use, btw, and is not only for domestic skills).

in general, however, if you're using the core rules, you can only take a given skill once unless that skill indicates otherwise (there's an appraisal one in the technical category that also lets you take it more than once, for example).

Sometimes the one w/no arms or legs WAS a professional(oops bad roll :eek: ). The training you receive makes you a professional, Why is a Chef regarded as a pro? Because of his training. The bonus to Domestic skills is only 10%, many OCC/Related skills give upwards of 20% those bonuses negate the need to select a skill twice. Rolling twice? No. Generally the bonuses to the skills reflect your "level" of professional training and it takes away from the excitment of a possible failed roll. :D
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Joseph Kerr
Explorer

keir541 wrote:I assume that the OCC bonuses to OCC skills and related skills reflect "professional" training, i.e.: you're a Mil.Spec. or Spec.Forces and have demolitions or demo. disposal , then you're professionally trained in said skills. This applies to ALL OCC's.
Also look under the strength rules for throwing distances, I believe that they have something on it as well.

Well, yes, an OCC get's a bonus because of their class direction and "professional" training. That makes sense. Yet a level 1 character with cooking selects it twice and is denoted as having "professional" skill. How is he/she more professional than a level 6 character with a better skill percentage in cooking? How do you differentiate between the two? Shouldn't a character willing to sacrifice another skill be entitled to more than a 10% bonus which apparently denotes "superior" quality? It's just flavor text.

As far as the strength rules, I assumed you meant weight and movement. Which told me to look at W.P. Targeting. Going back, I also looked at Attributes Beyond 30 and it stated that depending upon how far your strength is beyond Olympic, you get to throw farther. Which seems silly that a PS 9 character can throw the same distance as a character with PS 29. It seems like it would be fair to say that the effective range of a bola is 30 ft, with the character being able to add their strength bonus to that to increase the range. I.E.: PS 20 = Bola distance is 35. Or something, that's just something off the top of my head and I haven't put much thought on how potentially ridiculous or unbalanced that may be for stronger characters.

Of course, I could be wrong and missing something. Please educate me if that's the case!

Shark_Force wrote:there is no unprofessional level of demolitions is the way i would view it. or, arguably, the non-professional level of skill with demolitions is the guy with no arms or legs...

So there's no difference between the kid who looked up how to make explosives and the trained demolitions expert? I suppose the difference here would be OCC Skill and Secondary Skill, game wise. But still.

Shark_Force wrote:(i believe the rifter article mentioned does have optional rules for expanding on skill use, btw, and is not only for domestic skills).

Thanks!

Shark_Force wrote:in general, however, if you're using the core rules, you can only take a given skill once unless that skill indicates otherwise (there's an appraisal one in the technical category that also lets you take it more than once, for example).

Yeah, I think I might play around with some house rules to make it more interesting. Thanks!

Keir451 wrote:Sometimes the one w/no arms or legs WAS a professional(oops bad roll :eek: ). The training you receive makes you a professional, Why is a Chef regarded as a pro? Because of his training. The bonus to Domestic skills is only 10%, many OCC/Related skills give upwards of 20% those bonuses negate the need to select a skill twice. Rolling twice? No. Generally the bonuses to the skills reflect your "level" of professional training and it takes away from the excitment of a possible failed roll.

So the training, I.E. the class +__%, makes you professional. It separates the un-trained (secondary) and the trained. Yet that's only a 10-20% increase. Most of it early on is also based on luck (Which, I suppose DOES go with explosives :p ). It just seems appropriate that a character could select a skill twice, if they so choose, to gain a more professional/talented bonus. Other than flavor text.

In any case, I appreciate all the replies!

I hope I did not come off as rude or anything, and that my thoughts weren't too jumbled to make sense of. :)

- Joseph.

Return to “Rifts®”