Ranged Combat question (Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

daddystabz
Wanderer

Ranged Combat question (Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles)

Unread post by daddystabz »

I read in the ranged combat rules section that the only dodge bonus you get when dodging a gun or energy weapon is your PP bonus and any OCC bonus to dodge (pg 240 of the manga TSC book). Does this mean you do NOT get dodge bonuses from the skills you take in your OCC and MOS to use against gunfire and energy weapons? I'm assuming dodge bonuses from skills like Boxing would only apply to dodging melee attacks, is this right?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Ranged Combat question (Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles)

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

daddystabz wrote:I read in the ranged combat rules section that the only dodge bonus you get when dodging a gun or energy weapon is your PP bonus and any OCC bonus to dodge (pg 240 of the manga TSC book). Does this mean you do NOT get dodge bonuses from the skills you take in your OCC and MOS to use against gunfire and energy weapons? I'm assuming dodge bonuses from skills like Boxing would only apply to dodging melee attacks, is this right?

Correct.

I recommend going back to origional Rifts rules where gun strike and dodge rules were simpler. +3 from WP on single shot, +1 burst, no modifers to dodge and Autododge was regular dodge that didn't use an attack and used normal boni.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
daddystabz
Wanderer

Unread post by daddystabz »

Then what good are the dodge bonuses you get in your skills really? Also, if you do not get the dodge bonuses from skills then do they count when you are in a mecha (the ones not tailored to a mecha)? For instance, if an Invid mecha is shooting at you with an energy weapon and you want to dodge do you only get your PP bonus to dodge and any OCC bonus you have? What bonus could you possibly get from your OCC to dodge if it isn't bonuses from skills? The only bonus I see under OCC is actually from the MOS. For instance, the Alpha Pilot MOS gets +1 to dodge from their MOS.

What is really frustrating is the skill descriptions do not make distinctions on if the dodge bonus it gives applies to melee combat only or ranged combat only or both. For instance, Athletics (General) gives a +1 to parry/dodge but makes no distinction at all so I wonder if it works against melee AND ranged or not.
OldGeek
D-Bee

Unread post by OldGeek »

daddystabz wrote:Then what good are the dodge bonuses you get in your skills really?

Dodging melee? Personally I recommend doing what Nekira recommended... The rules weren't broke and didn't need fixing IMO.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:I recommend going back to origional Rifts rules where gun strike and dodge rules were simpler. +3 from WP on single shot, +1 burst, no modifers to dodge and Autododge was regular dodge that didn't use an attack and used normal boni.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

airwalkrr wrote:One of the things I like about the new rules, despite their complexity, is the fact that they encourage melee combat, which is a bit more exciting than ranged combat most of the time in my opinion. I don't think the rules come out and say this, but it should be pretty difficult to use a ranged weapon when you are being pressed by melee attacks. Consequently, I don't allow most characters engaged in melee to use ranged weapons. What sounds more interesting to you: a Juicer and a Spider-Skull Walker trading shots, or a Juicer who's tackled the leg of a Spider-Skull Walker, clambered to the top, and holds on dearly with one hand while thrashing into the pilot's compartment with vibro-claws on his other hand?

You have to get though the main body to get to the pilot's compartment. And all the skull walker has to do is roll over for an instant kill in that senario.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

airwalkrr wrote:I'm sure some GMs describe Spider-Skull Walkers moving around like fast-action anime EVAs capable of climbing up buildings and such.

I didn't, but from now on I will. What an awesome image you just put in my mind. :twisted:
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

airwalkrr wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:You have to get though the main body to get to the pilot's compartment.

Yeah, I suppose that's true, technically. But if a player of mine actually had the guts to do something like that (which would probably involve some skill rolls) I would probably reward him/her and say that given the size of the 'Bot that damage dealt in melee could go directly to the pilot's compartment. Think of it as finding a "chink in the armor." At the very least, I'd reduce the amount of M.D. on the main body he/she would have to shred through before damaging the pilot's compartment. That all seems reasonable, at least for an epic sci-fi adventure game.

Depends on what kind of game your running dosn't it? Not everyone plays Rifts Epic Sci-fi adventure. After all, the core book had it Gritty post-apocalyptic and plenty still prefer playing it dangerous and deadly. i've played in plenty of rifts games where you would be quickly killed pulling those kinds of stunts and laughed at for it.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:And all the skull walker has to do is roll over for an instant kill in that senario.

Says who? The Juicer could just jump off if it came to that, but I don't know if the Spider-Skull Walker has that kind of maneuverability. The description says it can climb 40 degree inclines but that doesn't seem to suggest it is capable of rolling around. And even if it did, that doesn't guarantee it can get up again. I've always seen Spider-Skull Walkers as very useful for climbing over rubble, up steep surfaces and over walls, but not necessarily ideal for things like dealing with small, mobile infantry without support. It's melee options are limited to ramming and stomping. That suggests to me that if you can close the gap and somehow neutralize the turrets (the rail guns don't seem to have the same kind of aiming capacity), the Spider-Skull Walkers are at a disadvantage compared to most 'Bots. But that's just my opinion. As with many things Palladium, I'm sure it has many interpretations. I'm sure some GMs describe Spider-Skull Walkers moving around like fast-action anime EVAs capable of climbing up buildings and such.
[/quote]

I was being facetious wiht the "roll over" but really, jumping on a tank isn't good because it can still probablly shake you off, or shift a gun turrent to blast you off.

more probable is it just rams you into a wall the Juicers 45 MD plate wears out a hellavualot faster than the Skullwalkers main body MDC.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”