gender restricted OCCs?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

gender restricted OCCs?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

what are your thoughts on the idea of certain OCC's being limited by gender, say only to women?

if the backstory to this makes sense (for example, the OCC is limited to a certain group, which only accepts women), would it be ok?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: gender restricted OCCs?

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Like nuns?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I'm for gender equality for the most part, but I am a little concerned at the double standard involved.

It's alright to have a class like, umm, Amazon (Females only), but It would cause a ruckus to have a class called Barbarian (Males only).

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

Personaly i would prefer the Furry Fangirl to the Furry Fanboy occ
1. they smell better more of the time
2. they have better taste generaly
3. they generaly look better
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Like nuns?

Like sallon girl (a.k.a. bar-maid when the modern skills are omited) in R: New West
or the 'town drunk' one in the same book.

Valkyries are all female. with no exceptions allowed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:Like nuns?

Like sallon girl (a.k.a. bar-maid when the modern skills are omited) in R: New West
or the 'town drunk' one in the same book.

Valkyries are all female. with no exceptions allowed.

I don't think I want the person cutting my hair serving me drinks (at the same time anyways).

Also, OCCs that have a gender listed are clearly restricted.

glitterboy2098 wrote:what are your thoughts on the idea of certain OCC's being limited by gender, say only to women?

if the backstory to this makes sense (for example, the OCC is limited to a certain group, which only accepts women), would it be ok?

If the backstory made sense, then you could probably re-write the Coalition.

But what are you looking to restrict? And more importantly, why is this OCC (that only women can join) different than a dozen other OCCs capable of being found elsewhere?
That is, what makes it special?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

That's the biggie, what are you asking for and why?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

ok, so there have been a few examples of this before. i'd forgotten about the saloon girl.

Dog_O_War wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:what are your thoughts on the idea of certain OCC's being limited by gender, say only to women?

If the backstory made sense, then you could probably re-write the Coalition.

But what are you looking to restrict? And more importantly, why is this OCC (that only women can join) different than a dozen other OCCs capable of being found elsewhere?
That is, what makes it special?

well, i was thinking about a cult, which worships a group of female dieties. they only accept women, and through training (starting at an early age) and pacts with thier dieties get magical abilities.

i was also thinking about a warrior brotherhood that only accepts men, which are trained from an early age to be warriors or special smiths which produce the magical items the warrior brotherhood use.

both would be in a quasi-medieval region of rifts for one of my projects. this topic was basically to sound out the idea of OCC's being gender restricted. in neither case would you be restricted to play one or the other in the setting (much of the normal rifts classes would be available, as are some other gender neutral OCC's), but these would be some of the more notable groups in the region.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dog_O_War
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:
well, i was thinking about a cult, which worships a group of female dieties. they only accept women, and through training (starting at an early age) and pacts with thier dieties get magical abilities.

i was also thinking about a warrior brotherhood that only accepts men, which are trained from an early age to be warriors or special smiths which produce the magical items the warrior brotherhood use.

both would be in a quasi-medieval region of rifts for one of my projects. this topic was basically to sound out the idea of OCC's being gender restricted. in neither case would you be restricted to play one or the other in the setting (much of the normal rifts classes would be available, as are some other gender neutral OCC's), but these would be some of the more notable groups in the region.

The next question is; are these OCC-worthy? Or does another old OCC more than cover the intended abilities of these two new OCCs?
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i beleive so. keep in mind i can't give all the details, but basically there hasn't been anything like these before to my knowledge.

in the case of the warrior brotherhood, Rifts doesn't exactly have alot of warrior type OCC's, particulalry ones focused on hand to hand combat. many of those that do are setting specific, and don't work very well outside those settings. i don't think the barbarian classes from dinosaur swamp for example, would meet the setting needs, and the beserker class from pantheons is tied to a specific religion and has special rules for stuff i didn't plan on including, like the beserker rage.

in the case of the preistesses, Rifts doesn't have much examples of a class that is part preistess, mage, and witch at the same time. any of the three perhaps, but not elements of all three.

but again, i was osunding out the idea of classes limited to specific genders, not the particular classes themselves. even if i was able to use existing classes, for the sake of the fluff i'd have to still limit them to men or women specifically, and i wanted to find out what people thought about that idea.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Dog_O_War
Champion

glitterboy2098 wrote:i beleive so. keep in mind i can't give all the details, but basically there hasn't been anything like these before to my knowledge.

in the case of the warrior brotherhood, Rifts doesn't exactly have alot of warrior type OCC's, particulalry ones focused on hand to hand combat. many of those that do are setting specific, and don't work very well outside those settings. i don't think the barbarian classes from dinosaur swamp for example, would meet the setting needs, and the beserker class from pantheons is tied to a specific religion and has special rules for stuff i didn't plan on including, like the beserker rage.

in the case of the preistesses, Rifts doesn't have much examples of a class that is part preistess, mage, and witch at the same time. any of the three perhaps, but not elements of all three.

but again, i was osunding out the idea of classes limited to specific genders, not the particular classes themselves. even if i was able to use existing classes, for the sake of the fluff i'd have to still limit them to men or women specifically, and i wanted to find out what people thought about that idea.

It looks like you've got all the pieces then.
  • People don't mind a restricted OCC, even if by gender - and there are already examples of such in the canon.
  • The OCCs (despite a side topic) in question are unique enough to be worth creating.
  • There are fluff-reasons for doing this work.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

If you remember that before about 100 years ago, that when some group said it was a sisterhood or brotherhood, that is what it was with no exceptions. With sisterhood membership was restricted to women and brotherhood membership restricted to men.
It was with the american ideas that such things were restrictive to the other gender that he brotherhoods were forced by law to open up their doors to women.

So if you are going to make up a religion with a sisterhood at the center of it, it is totally legitamit to restrict membership in that sisterhood to women.

Look at the Benajeserat Sisterhood in the Dune series of sci-fi books. Only women are alowed to be a part of it, only women are 'in power', and only women are taught the sisterhood's secrets. While men are still a part of the living for the benajeserate, they take a subservent role. While they are a part of the power structure and can become generals of their armed forces, there is always a Reverend Mother who will always be that man's commander.

So if you have a class that you want to write as gender specific, then don't hesitate about it. If you PC it you would loose the class distincive flavor, that a one gender only class would have.
------------------------
There are two classes in the real world that are specific to one or the other gender, one is that of a mother, and the other is that of a father. These two will never be switched (in the real world) to the other gender.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Any OCC is fine.

If it's gonna be limited to gender, there probably should be a biological reason behind it, which makes it fine.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Not female only but undead slayers get +2 M.D.C. more per tattoo.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”